Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

I will be retasking the "op's channel" on my liveAtc feed to airport weather reports when / if this gets going.

I have done it now for a while check it out here http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw

scroll down to the op's freq.

keep listening for the Irish airports!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

pad199207 wrote: »
    I'm not really optimistic for snow here so I certainly wouldn't be optimistic for snow sticking down in cork mate

Maybe not in the City but It will across north and west Cork and lots of Kerry
    The city might actually see some heavy showers as it often does in a northwesterly only this time they'll be sleet and snow so I wouldn't rule it out
    They have a bigger chance than me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Maybe not in the City but It will across north and west Cork and lots of Kerry
    The city might actually see some heavy showers as it often does in a northwesterly only this time they'll be sleet and snow so I wouldn't rule it out
    They have a bigger chance than me anyway

I suspect it will be like christmas day 2004 with snow eventually lying on grass at least by tea time. Plenty time for sledding in the evening with the kids then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Will any showers make its way towards Dublin?

Snowbiee21 wrote: »

ohoh here we go:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

No.

So there.:D

It's always with these things we have to wait and see.
    There's no guarantee that it will be snow but the omens are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I expect significant warning for Southern areas will be issued tomorrow. Several cms likely over the hills in South West

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Latest Harmonie has far more showers than GFS high res, radar and dew point watching will commence Thursday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I suspect it will be like christmas day 2004 with snow eventually lying on grass at least by tea time. Plenty time for sledding in the evening with the kids then.

I want a snow day Friday with my young lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

horsefarm wrote: »
    I think JFoxes is around 260m
    I'm nearly sure I checked in the past and it was the same altitude as my gaff. Couldnt swear on it though

278, so close :D

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Villain wrote: »
    Latest Harmonie has far more showers than GFS high res, radar and dew point watching will commence Thursday :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102224408&postcount=63

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In all honesty, as an ever optimistic Dub, I dont think we'll see much this Thurs-Sat.

The cold reload potential for a gale force easterly next week is a much better prospect, and indeed could be highly disruptive, but its a long way from resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 18z very developmental with the wave, could yet make it to Dublin. Nice snow amounts for souther England. Then watching active trough moving south later Thursday which is wrapped up very unstable and extremely cold upper air.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Larbre34 wrote: »
    cold reload potential for a gale force easterly

When you put it like that, it describes perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

The models suggest flurries at best. I'm sure we'll see white stuff falling from the sky at some stage, but lying snow is unlikely. You never know though, it could happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

GFS 18z very developmental with the wave, could yet make it to Dublin. Nice snow amounts for souther England. Then watching active trough moving south later Thursday which is wrapped up very unstable and extremely cold upper air.
    So Dublin could be in for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

sdanseo wrote: »
    When you put it like that, it describes perfection.

Not so fast though, you want the Irish sea showers to have time to develop! Gale force is bad for Irish Sea streamers!

Did anyone see the Met Eireann forecast at 9 30? Was it of interest re snow or were they playing it safe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

That wave won't make it to Dublin,it might run through the SW and skirt the South coast turning to snow on hills or it might miss us altogether
    We'll know tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Just to warn everyone in the southwest.
    This is from 18z Hirlam.
    It's giving rain till about 9 am (the dew points aren't low enough) and then it's borderline line snow from 10 am.
    So you'll have snow falling on wet ground so not the greatest for sticking.
    The only bonus it looks like you'll have it most of the day Thursday.
    Donegal however on this looks to be getting it from Wednesday evening on.

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_1.png

Still we'll know when it happens.

ArKl0w wrote: »
    That wave won't make it to Dublin,it might run through the SW and skirt the South coast turning to snow on hills or it might miss us altogether
    We'll know tomorrow

Is the wave early on Thursday? Are we still ok re that system being further south? Thanks again

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Just to warn everyone in the southwest.
    This is from 18z Hirlam.
    It's giving rain till about 9 am (the due points aren't low enough) and then it's borderline line snow from 10 am.
    So you'll have snow falling on wet ground so not the greatest for sticking.
    The only bonus it looks like you'll have it most of the day Thursday.
    Donegal however on this looks to be getting it from Wednesday evening on.

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_1.png

Still we'll know when it happens.

It's later Thursday afternoon and evening I think snow will fall in the south west. Was expecting rain early in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

It's later Thursday afternoon and evening I think snow will fall in the south west. Was expecting rain early in the day.

BBC weather looked good for Thursday afternoon anyway just then

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I know it's only one model run but it really sums up Cork's luck. The perfect snow shield. ;)

17011218_1018.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Siobhan Ryan on radio 1 there. it will feel icy cold thursday, north west and south west most likely for moderate snow accumulations along with the odd clap of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Thursday can't come quick enough!

Wouldn't take much to beat the snow accumulation of 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Did anyone see the Met Eireann forecast at 9 30? Was it of interest re snow or were they playing it safe?

Indeed, it said snow showers, even running predictive radar to show where the snow was likely to fall and said showers especially on high ground but also possible right down to lower levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

11pm TAF out for Irish airports.

Knock Airport, 4pm-6pm (tomorrow)chance light showers of snow.

Shannon airport, 2am (tonight)- 9pm (tomorrow) temporary light showers of rain snow (sleet)

Belfast Aldergrove, 12pm (tomorrow) - 12am (tomorrow) temporary light showers rain snow (sleet)

Will update tomorrow morning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement