Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Golf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Anyone else find the game golf website (upload and round review) painfully slow lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Senecio wrote: »
    Anyone else find the game golf website (upload and round review) painfully slow lately?

Yeah,have to reload the page sometimes as it crashes when reviewing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

hey guys.
    anyone get the original version second hand, just wondering was their any problems with putting the new golfer on it, can it just be reset and stuff... any other info would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Hi guys, just a slight tangent but what's the best App to get for my phone that measures distance and what not! I probably don't play enough to justify buying the 'Game Golf' but would like something that measures the distance of shots, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

hey guys.
    anyone get the original version second hand, just wondering was their any problems with putting the new golfer on it, can it just be reset and stuff... any other info would be great.

I bought it new, but it doesn't save a golfers specific details on the unit really. You'll need to change the mapping of the tags so that they correspond to what clubs you've put them in to, but all you really need to do is install the software on your PC, register your account & it should just automatically upload the rounds I would have thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

I bought it new, but it doesn't save a golfers specific details on the unit really. You'll need to change the mapping of the tags so that they correspond to what clubs you've put them in to, but all you really need to do is install the software on your PC, register your account & it should just automatically upload the rounds I would have thought?

great thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Interesting stats for last 50 rounds of golf!

One thing that stands out is 8/9 iron are almost exact same!
    Think the 3 wood could go too..

Club Yards Off the tee
    Driver 239 239
    3 Wood 211 198
    5 Wood 207 196
    Hybird 188 192
    5 Iron 176 173
    6 Iron 167 168
    7 Iron 157 156
    8 Iron 143 149
    9 Iron 144 133
    PW 120 143
    GW 110 98
    SW 75 103
    LW 76 n/a

• Registered Users Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Birthday coming up. Never know what to ask for so maybe something like a game golf. What do yis reckon... worth getting? I know I seen similar alternative before, but am fecked if I can remember what it was. Could it have been something to do with Google?

Honestly, I don't want anything that would rely on mobile phones. Most of time I don't bring mine on the course with me, and when I do, it's stuffed in the bottom of the bag out of the way, probably turned off.

Also, for analysis, would rather plug (wifi or bluetooth better) into PC. Don't mind an app as a backup though.

Having used gamegolf live for the last month or so I'm not entirely convinced of its usefulness.
    I find that it takes about 10 min to link everything up with bluetooth etc. meanwhile a fourball are heading to the first tee ahhh!!.
    You get it going play your round and it shows 2 rounds a duplicate from the phone usually one with 3 less holes as your battery died near the end.
    I've been using it without the phone and it's a log better. I'm disappointed though as I badgered the company to tell me what's the difference between the belt devices but all I got was the new version has upgraded components. That could mean the colour of the plastic was different. Anyway just incase anyone was going to buy one I would think the standard version is just as good and save yourself €150. (Mind I got mine for 250 on ebay)

How you getting on with the Live version now?
    I see something about a range finder that comes with it, did you get that?

Live version for sale now on amazon prime for £147.

thats the same as what they normally sell the normal version for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Live version for sale now on amazon prime for £147.

thats the same as what they normally sell the normal version for

Link?

kieran. wrote: »
    Link?

it was a flash sale for prime day. you could actually get it for £137.99
    missed it by a matter of seconds and the price shot back up to £247.99 :(

I'm not sure if this type of offer comes up very often, but I'll hold fire for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

it was a flash sale for prime day. you could actually get it for £137.99
    missed it by a matter of seconds and the price shot back up to £247.99 :(

I'm not sure if this type of offer comes up very often, but I'll hold fire for now

This was the second prime day. They started it last year. Think it will be a yearly type thing. Last year it was also around this time in July. Probably the 12th also. Next big sale on Amazon will probably be black Friday unfortunately.

Not sure how long the deal will be on but the promo code 139game will get you the standard gamegolf for 139 euro on McGuirks website

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Not sure how long the deal will be on but the promo code 139game will get you the standard gamegolf for 139 euro on McGuirks website

Oh very tempting, how are you getting on with it. Any improvements in your weak areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

The live version looks good but for €349 its massively overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭gotapaininmy

slingerz wrote: »
    The live version looks good but for 349 its massively overpriced
    it is overpriced tbh, I got one for half price when they came out first because I had the original one too. I've stopped using mine altogether, the novelty has worn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Just to confirm this is ok to use in competitions once you simply download the stats post round and not during it? About to pull the trigger but not being able to use it in competitions would certainly stop me!

Based on these two letters from the USGA and the R&A it confirms that the original version is definitely cleared for use in competitions.

This post on their help page confirms that the live version is allowable provided it is not paired with the App during to the round

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Just to confirm this is ok to use in competitions once you simply download the stats post round and not during it? About to pull the trigger but not being able to use it in competitions would certainly stop me!

save your cash. I was all for it too and stopped using it. novelty wears off quickly and the amount of time youll forget to tag it is a pain. spend it on lessons :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Update I am still using my gg live. My handicap had dropped from 16 to 12 not sure if I can credit that to gg or hard work but it does point out your weaknesses so you can work on that area. I have used the range finder on the live version it came in handy one foggy morning when the laser wouldn't work. I like the fact that I can play by myself and challenge myself in a stroke play senario. To be honest playing stroke on my gg had made me more consistent. I'm shooting in 81 to 83 regularly now hoping to break 80 soon if I sort out my putting.
    I'm also at the stage that if I forget to bring it I'm still tagging my clubs.

I also like the social/competitive nature of. There are a couple of other members from my local club using it and we're all around the same handicap or perhaps a shot or two better than myself. I quite often look through their rounds to see how they've played different holes. Gives me a different slant on how others manage the course and where I need to work to get down to their level.

Update I am still using my gg live. My handicap had dropped from 16 to 12 not sure if I can credit that to gg or hard work but it does point out your weaknesses so you can work on that area. I have used the range finder on the live version it came in handy one foggy morning when the laser wouldn't work. I like the fact that I can play by myself and challenge myself in a stroke play senario. To be honest playing stroke on my gg had made me more consistent. I'm shooting in 81 to 83 regularly now hoping to break 80 soon if I sort out my putting.
    I'm also at the stage that if I forget to bring it I'm still tagging my clubs.

the range finder. I take it that it is not an actual range finder? sounds more like a gps app on the phone is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

I must say I'm finding it great so far, I love to have as much data as possible in everything so it is right up my street.

Now for a bit of a noob question. In relation to club competitions etc are range finders such as the one built in with the Game Golf app (which seems to be quite accurate) allowed? Does it differ from club to club or is there an across the board rule? I know this might not be the correct thread but it didn't seem to warrant its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

sdevine89 wrote: »
    I must say I'm finding it great so far, I love to have as much data as possible in everything so it is right up my street.

Now for a bit of a noob question. In relation to club competitions etc are range finders such as the one built in with the Game Golf app (which seems to be quite accurate) allowed? Does it differ from club to club or is there an across the board rule? I know this might not be the correct thread but it didn't seem to warrant its own.

Unfortunately the live features not in comps so you can't use the rangefinder either I presume.

Just flutering around with the Scoring on my Game golf

Anyone know how to understand it?

0.85 per hole???
    I've apparently had 2 Albatrosses and 4 eagles...... yea right!!!!!
    So that makes me think, all the pars etc would also be wrong

Just flutering around with the Scoring on my Game golf

Anyone know how to understand it?

0.85 per hole???
    I've apparently had 2 Albatrosses and 4 eagles...... yea right!!!!!
    So that makes me think, all the pars etc would also be wrong

Which scoring feature are you looking at Seve? Is it the strokes gained your looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Still happy/use/recommend your game golf guys ?

Which scoring feature are you looking at Seve? Is it the strokes gained your looking at?

No, when I click on Insights there is a scoring tab, last on the right
    Strokes gained is first tab

alx, only got mine in October so have been building up a few rounds to get an idea of whats goin on. Only problem is most of the rounds have been 14 or 15 holes over the last 2 months so might not be good when it comes to break down my score so I might need to figure out how to exclude them from scoring stats

Just noticed there it's telling me I even had a hole in one in Corballis :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

This is down to 90 in Mcguirks, have gift tokens from xmas, hmmm!
    Is it a pain in the arse to set-up? Hard to remember to tag on course? Where do you wear it? Do the tags stay on the clubs or fall off?
    Am using a garmin x40 at the moment, but it fails to register strikes 5% of the time. Is game golf very accurate?
    I'm very temped to buy this.

Advertisement