Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Very Good Looking people have it easier in life

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    It is very much true and frankly that is a sad reality. It may sound cliche but its what inside that counts. Your looks won't help someone when they're down or they won't go out of their way to help a person or an animal that needs it etc.

I always judge how someone treats an animal.

That can speak volumes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

What the hell has that got to do with anything

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    There not the same things

Here look, Alpha_zero. Just be you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr Arrior

Very true.

Mr Arrior wrote: »
    Very true.

Read what Rene Descartes said about animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I think therefore I woof woof.

Tell us?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Yeah, we do.

I think therefore I woof woof.

That's the other guy Plato, it's ok cause your are hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

roysh1 wrote: »
    So what do you think? Do people who've won the genetic lottery have it easier in life?

We do

• Advertisement

Tell us?

you want me to paraphrase for you

That's the other guy Plato, it's ok cause your are hot

Excuse me, I have a Adhd in philosophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Excuse me, I have a Adhd in philosophy.

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?

you want me to paraphrase for you

I googled Rene Descartes, but not reading all that. Just see what he said about animals.

So, Yes please. paraphrase.

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?

It's a joke. Instead of a PhD, I have ADHD in the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

My face just lit up reading your very insightful and honest post, i bet we could finish each other sentences.

I talk about looks, and some cnut hates me

I talk about personality, and some cnut hates me.

I can't win. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

When I see polls like these I always wonder is it because attractive people happen to be be more confident and not because they are actually physically better looking than their zero confidence colleagues. So they get the jobs not because they are better looking but because their self esteem is not on the the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look at certain shops selling clothes, all the staff are handsome ,
    theres no fat or ugly people employed by company x,
    unless its behind the scenes staff ,that no one see,s .
    IF you want a certain job looking attractive helps

When it comes to relationships, it isn't all about looks but it defo helps. The quiet, nice ones that are good looking have far more opportunities then the quiet nice ones that wouldn't be overly attractive. However, if ya have an infectious personality then it regularly doesn't matter what ya look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Personality. Is who you are, not your looks.

Yes, but it doesn't matter how beautiful your personality is or how confident you are but if you're not well built and have movie star looks( or rich) you won't get many irish women approaching you or wanting more than the friend zone :P They would rather go for the looks even if your personality is sh**e.;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Wibbs wrote: »
    held to be true to help the plain(or those who have the notion that they're plain) feel better about themselves.

EDIT, though I have found As A Very General Thing(™) the more athletic/sporty six packed broad shouldered types to be far dumber and narrower of worldview than the nerdy weedy/fat not so attractive neck beards and chinless wonder types. This tends to be more a gender thing though and far more applicable to such stereotypical men.

Absolute bullsh*t. You need to get out more, oh wise one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

roysh1 wrote: »
    Do you think that very attractive people(conventionally) have it easier in life?

I've noticed a trend in retail where it seems being good looking was definitely part of the hiring policy, even if this was never explicity stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

There's plenty of evidence to confirm this theory. For instance lost passports are more likely returned if the picture is attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If a man is tall, well built and good looking then as long as he isn't an asshole then yes he is going to have a lot more attention from good looking women.

Same scenario with women, they can have their pick of the best looking guys.

Fortunately not every tall guy is handsome so that gives us runts a chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Beauty/Attractiveness is a currency that people trade with, both for professional advancement and in partner selection.

I'm tired of hearing women say that looks don't matter to them, because despite what they say, their actions always point to the opposite being true. Good looking women (i.e. notably above average) will not entertain average or below average men as potential partners. They may say they do, but in reality, while they are perfectly happy to be friendly towards men in this category, and they might even flirt with them as long as it's not serious, but that's it - to go any further they would have to judge the man as equally or more attractive. Some may not even be conscious of this (though many definitely are are). I'm not saying this is wrong - it's fine, it's nature taking its course I believe; there's inherent instinctive behavior in us all and it developed for particular reasons. It's the denials that looks are important that is a little disappointing. Perhaps it shows a lack of self-knowledge.

I can admit myself that I have had a similar blind spot too. When I was in relationships, I remember saying on more than one occasion that I thought nearly all Irish women (...around my own age category...) were quite attractive. Being single at the moment though, I realize this is not the case at all (not to offend Irish women of course - but there's a standard spread of "attractiveness" I guess even in Ireland). So what I am saying is that when I wasn't out looking for a partner, I was only seeing above average women when I walked down the street, the others didn't enter my consciousness and therefore I believed that Irish women were all really attractive. Now that I am actively looking, I see there are more attractive, average, and less attractive women all around me every day - it's like I'm on a different planet, but it's all down to perception.

I think the same is true in business - attractive people are noticed more and therefore have a higher profile and then tend to be promoted more. Not saying that talented people who aren't attractive don't progress in business - they do, but it's (slightly) more difficult. More attractive people also are judged to be better and more capable than perhaps they deserve; not sure of why this is but apparently this is another instinctive bias.

On the relationships side, another example is Hot vs Sleazy behavior; the same lines and behavior is viewed as hot and confident if the person making the approach is someone attractive to recipient of the attention. If they think they are hot, then it's all flattering and welcome attention. If they don't find them physically attractive then the exact same lines and behavior is described as sleazy and creepy!

I'm a bit reserved myself (perhaps you could say shy), but I have been told by an ex-partner that on our first date, as she became more comfortable with me during the date, she began to wish that I would just have grabbed her and kissed her passionately without warning! Imagine if I wasn't someone she found attractive - acting on this exact same behavior would go from hot passion, to being assault!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I've noticed a trend in retail where it seems being good looking was definitely part of the hiring policy, even if this was never explicity stated.

That would appear to be the case with flight attendants too. Most of them seem to be attractive.
    Zirconia wrote: »
    I'm tired of hearing women say that looks don't matter to them, because despite what they say, their actions always point to the opposite being true. Good looking women (i.e. notably above average) will not entertain average or below average men as potential partners. They may say they do, but in reality, while they are perfectly happy to be friendly towards men in this category, and they might even flirt with them as long as it's not serious, but that's it - to go any further they would have to judge the man as equally or more attractive.

I wouldn't agree with this. I've seen some really stunning women with average looking fellas. In some cases the guy was even shorter than the woman. So many times I've thought to myself, "jammy fecker." Then again its more difficult for me to judge what's attractive in a man. They could have been hot for all I know.
    On the relationships side, another example is Hot vs Sleazy behavior; the same lines and behavior is viewed as hot and confident if the person making the approach is someone attractive to recipient of the attention. If they think they are hot, then it's all flattering and welcome attention. If they don't find them physically attractive then the exact same lines and behavior is described as sleazy and creepy

This I would be inclined to agree with.

Zirconia wrote:
    I'm tired of hearing women say that looks don't matter to them, because despite what they say, their actions always point to the opposite being true. Good looking women (i.e. notably above average) will not entertain average or below average men as potential partners. They may say they do, but in reality, while they are perfectly happy to be friendly towards men in this category, and they might even flirt with them as long as it's not serious, but that's it - to go any further they would have to judge the man as equally or more attractive. Some may not even be conscious of this (though many definitely are are). I'm not saying this is wrong - it's fine, it's nature taking its course I believe; there's inherent instinctive behavior in us all and it developed for particular reasons. It's the denials that looks are important that is a little disappointing. Perhaps it shows a lack of self-knowledge.

Zirconia wrote:
    I agree with this. A lot of women complain about guys going on looks but the majority are very similar. However guys are prob still worse.
    Zirconia wrote:
    On the relationships side, another example is Hot vs Sleazy behavior; the same lines and behavior is viewed as hot and confident if the person making the approach is someone attractive to recipient of the attention. If they think they are hot, then it's all flattering and welcome attention. If they don't find them physically attractive then the exact same lines and behavior is described as sleazy and creepy!
    Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Klonker wrote: »
    When I see polls like these I always wonder is it because attractive people happen to be be more confident and not because they are actually physically better looking than their zero confidence colleagues. So they get the jobs not because they are better looking but because their self esteem is not on the the floor.

Thats definitely a big aspect. I was talking to my friend who was working in our college fashion show and I asked do they consider candidates for the show based on looks mostly/only ? And she said no not really its almost entirely about how you walk, your confidence etc. But she said that a lot of the performers usually are good looking as they are generally most confident. And she was telling the truth, a lot of the performers in the show were good looking but there were lots of plain and some people who were unattractive but were very confident and expressive and entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭billyhead

That would appear to be the case with flight attendants too. Most of them seem to be attractive.

I wouldn't agree with this. I've seen some really stunning women with average looking fellas. In some cases the guy was even shorter than the woman. So many times I've thought to myself, "jammy fecker." Then again its more difficult for me to judge what's attractive in a man. They could have been hot for all I know.

Money Talks

• Advertisement

Confidence is a big thing. I wouldn't consider myself overly handsome or anything and the confidence isn't the highest but I've started online coaching with a personal trainer to get fitter. I know if I got myself ripped id be a lot more confident in myself.

Advertisement