Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your biggest "get me out of here!" moment in a relationship?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭blade1

More stories, less everything else please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I have one other.

Was with a guy for 2 years when I was 17-19.

About a year into the relationship, I realise he has a drinking problem. He'd eat nothing but Tesco's cheapest chocolate bars for breakfast, lunch and dinner, washed down with 10 cans of their cheapest lager.

I spent months helping him. Paid for his rent, got him to see a counsellor, begged him to go to AA.

Turns out when he was in counselling, he was actually using the money I gave him for it, to get drunk in a field. I found out one day when the counsellor called my number (I was his alternative contact number) wondering why he'd missed three sessions.

So, I went down on the morning of his 21st birthday to surprise him (he lived in a different county). I arrived at 11am. Nobody home. Called his brother and he'd been over there the night before, but left at 2am. I eventually found him wasted in a field down the road from his house, so decided that was that, I was ending it.

After an hour or so, I convinced him to come home, he stopped along the way to buy cans. Got back to his house, and I broke up with him. He gave me a hug when I was leaving, got an erection and asked for sex one last time :pac:

Drove down with friends two months later to collect my belongings and he answered the door drunk and wearing my dressing gown. So I left my belongings and that was the last time we spoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

he answered the door drunk and wearing my dressing gown. So I left my belongings and that was the last time we spoke!

Were you not the slightest bit curious to know what else of yours he was wearing underneath the dressing gown? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I met an Australian one once and we got on great. We had spent a couple of social occasions together although the last culminated in a massive session which involved her cat attacking me and me waking up fully clothed at 8am on her kitchen floor still off my face. It seemed like it had fizzled out that night so off I went.

Surprisingly enough I got a random call two weeks later saying she wanted to see me. Jackpot, says I. After a few pints we went back to mine and launched into the deed. Ten minutes in she just shouted "STOP!" and had tears in her eyes. I was mortified and asked in typical Irish fashion was everything ok like. (It being clear that it wasn't)

All of a sudden she jumps out of the bed and erupts into a full blown cryfest. I mean screaming crying like a f*cking banshee with tears and snot down her face, two thick mascara lines down her cheeks. She was howling and half panting garbled nonsense through the sobs about how her father doesn't love her and hasn't called her since she left Australia and how he always loved her sister more. Basically naked at the end of my bed stomping and bawling like a woman possessed.

She's screaming so loudly I can hear my housemate's doors opening and I didn't know them that well so was terrified they'd think I was down in my room beating the f*ck out of her or something. Eventually she just stopped and literally conked in seconds and slept like a baby. I lay there scared to move for hours utterly bewildered at what had just happened. I f*cked off to work the nex day and thought that was the end of that.

Three days later the phone rings and there's a chirpy Australian voice: "Hey wanna grab a coffee??" Zero acknowledgement of the night before.

Head. Case.

Or anyone that starts on about an ex...just f*ck right off now!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have one other.

Drove down with friends two months later to collect my belongings and he answered the door drunk and wearing my dressing gown. So I left my belongings and that was the last time we spoke!

Was he eating a bowl of Cheerios?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

very entertaining stuff...no stories to compete but the following seems relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNmLmwYoPkk

blade1 wrote: »
    Or anyone that starts on about an ex...just f*ck right off now!!!!!!

Kinda the point of the thread? Hence the title? Or am i misunderstanding you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

kylith wrote: »
    Went out with a guy twice and he got dumped for:

Talking about our "one-week anniversary'.
    Asking what cake symbolised our relationship when I mentioned I liked baking.
    Asking why I 'had' to read the books in my To Read pile (question does not compute).
    Constantly wanting to play 'his' music - as in music he made.
    Saying that he should have brought one of 'his' films for us to watch, one that he was an extra in.
    Asking searching questions about my relationship with my mother when I joked that visiting my parents drove me to drink.
    Continuing to ask searching questions even after I said that I felt like I was being interrogated.
    Saying my fishtank was 'weird' - not the tank, occupants, or décor, just the fact that I have a fishtank.
    Saying that my living room was cluttered and too dark
    Saying that I had a 'good enough figure under the jumper'.
    Calling my dogs smelly.
    Doing that hilarious 'what do you mean used to be fat, haha' thing when I said I didn't have any biscuits because I watch my weight
    Bombarding me with texts when I said I wasn't interested in seeing him again.

And the Big One: Slipping off the condom while having sex.

Pros: Could talk about Star Trek and Farscape. Looks good in a suit. Brought wine.

Bullet all kinds of dodged there and has yet to be topped, even by the rocker who pulled The Naked Man on me.

He sounds like Ross Geller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

He's saying that any date that starts talking about their ex can **** right off :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I have one.

So, when I was around 21 I was still painfully shy, so I wasn't getting laid much. A female friend took pity and set me up on a blind date with a friend of hers.

So, I agree to meet in a pub. She turns up late and drunk, saying that she just drank a full bottle of wine. Ok. So we sit and have a few drinks, and she spends the whole night being really nasty and putting me down at every opportunity. So negative.

At the end, we leave the pub and I'm about to head home when she asks me do I want to go to a club. Now, she was pretty good looking and I was fairly desperate for my hole at this stage, so I went for it, thinking I might get something out of it.

We go to the club, and she keeps going off to dance with other fellas, so I decided to call it a night and leave. As I'm walking up the street I hear her calling me and running after me, asking why I left. I explained why, and she looked upset and asked me to walk her to a taxi.

When we reach the rank, she says "I don't want you to think I'm a slut". I said I didn't (I think you're a lunatic). She says she wants to have sex but doesn't want to go to her place because her housemates will think she's a whore. I said I lived with my parents so we couldn't go there.

This went back and forth, until I thought **** it I'll bring her back and discreetly do the business. There were no cabs at the rank, so we walked to a cab base. On the way, we pass a French lad and of course she starts talking to him! She subtly suggests that we have a threesome and the guy is looking at me excited like "what you think, dude?". I said no, and he walked off.

We eventually made it back to my parents, and as soon as we get in the door, she looks around and goes "oh my god, you live with your parents". She starts freaking out, and I finally lose my patience and ask her to leave. She asks to stay the night and since it was late, I let her share my bed. After twenty minutes she gets up and says she wants to leave, and goes.

After another twenty minutes I need to use the bathroom, so I go only to find her in there, STARING into the mirror and crying. When she notices me, she then tidied up and left.

I never thanked my friend for setting me up with her. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

I've been on boards for years, have come across many a thread I've started up to read, page 1,2,3 etc but then I lose interest and do a flick onto something else. I'm now up to page 13 on this thread and it's like I've picked up a great book and can't put it down. Some great/mad experiences boards members have had. I've even burst out laughing while reading at some.

So my OH of nearly 20 years married life sits down beside me, and just as she does my phone beeps. Well who's that she asks, can I have the iPad she asks. No I said I'm reading this great thread. Well Mrs MadM was not impressed, lads does this qualify me to walk out that door.....mad woman altogether. :pac:

I was ten minutes late (very unusual for me) for a date with a guy I'd been seeing for a short while. He was furious, even though I'd texted. I mean really genuinely in a fury. He grabbed me by the arm and hissed in my ear that I should remember how easy it would be to put me in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

Exit stage left, after some careful safeguards were put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,859 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

All these stories involve drink drink and more drink and women and men who sleep with multiple people over and over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

mad m wrote: »
    I've been on boards for years, have come across many a thread I've started up to read, page 1,2,3 etc but then I lose interest and do a flick onto something else. I'm now up to page 13 on this thread and it's like I've picked up a great book and can't put it down. Some great/mad experiences boards members have had. I've even burst out laughing while reading at some.
    :
    Sure there's only 11 pages :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Went on a second date with a guy when I really shouldn't have, I knew I didn't fancy him but he was nice enough and I felt bad :pac:

I was introduced to some of his best friends and they were like "he's a great guy, you're a lucky woman" etc etc. I wanted to say to them "you realise this is merely a second date yes?" But I didn't.

He had also wanted to call to my house before we even met. Should've known then not to to go out with him at all I guess!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

So my OH of nearly 20 years married life sits down beside me, and just as she does my phone beeps. Well who's that she asks, can I have the iPad she asks. No I said I'm reading this great thread. Well Mrs MadM was not impressed, lads does this qualify me to walk out that door.....mad woman altogether. :pac:

Ever think of doing stand up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

This is the best thread since the strange one night stands thread. :)

Actually just thought about a story a mate of mine told me. Yes it's a mate and not me. He would say anytime he went out with his mates his girlfriend now wife would have sex with him and if he didn't blow a full load like he normally would she would consider he might have cheated on her....

Mrs Madm if you are reading this I'm not telling you who it is so don't ask.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Candie wrote: »
    I was ten minutes late (very unusual for me) for a date with a guy I'd been seeing for a short while. He was furious, even though I'd texted. I mean really genuinely in a fury. He grabbed me by the arm and hissed in my ear that I should remember how easy it would be to put me in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.

Exit stage left, after some careful safeguards were put in place.

F-ing hell. Sorry that happened to you Candie. What a d1ck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

This is the best thread since the strange one night stands thread. :)

LINK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Actually just thought about a story a mate of mine told me. Yes it's a mate and not me. He would say anytime he went out with his mates his girlfriend now wife would have sex with him and if he didn't blow a full load like he normally would she would consider he might have cheated on her....

Mrs Madm if you are reading this I'm not telling you who it is so don't ask.:)

Considering she married the dude in the end, it hardly indicates that it's a 'get out of here' moment.

Considering she married the dude in the end, it hardly indicates that it's a 'get out of here' moment.

Well if you met her you would. I personally think she is a nut job.

I have one other.

Was with a guy for 2 years when I was 17-19.

About a year into the relationship, I realise he has a drinking problem. He'd eat nothing but Tesco's cheapest chocolate bars for breakfast, lunch and dinner, washed down with 10 cans of their cheapest lager.

I spent months helping him. Paid for his rent, got him to see a counsellor, begged him to go to AA.

Turns out when he was in counselling, he was actually using the money I gave him for it, to get drunk in a field. I found out one day when the counsellor called my number (I was his alternative contact number) wondering why he'd missed three sessions.

So, I went down on the morning of his 21st birthday to surprise him (he lived in a different county). I arrived at 11am. Nobody home. Called his brother and he'd been over there the night before, but left at 2am. I eventually found him wasted in a field down the road from his house, so decided that was that, I was ending it.

After an hour or so, I convinced him to come home, he stopped along the way to buy cans. Got back to his house, and I broke up with him. He gave me a hug when I was leaving, got an erection and asked for sex one last time :pac:

This sounds like the script from an Irish comedy/drama film. I mean its poignant and funny at the same time. Brilliant stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

She should be happy! It means he's good for round 2 later that night or the morning after.

I was going out with a girl for a year and we went away to a hotel for our anniversary. Great night, great sex, great sleep, but in the morning she wouldn't come down for breakfast with me.

So I went down for food and came back 30 mins later to her in floods of tears.
    She basically had a breakdown and was saying how I was so great that she couldn't possibly be good enough for me, or pretty enough, or intelligent etc etc. It came absolutely out of nowhere and I had no idea what to do but reassure her that it was all going to be ok.
    Anyways, this episode led to clingyness, neediness, some general paranoia that I was cheating and a need to be in constant communication. It lasted another 6 months before I had to break things off.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    He's saying that any date that starts talking about their ex can **** right off :D
    Spot on KERSPLAT!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

Around the year & a half marker (seems to be a common theme, from what I know from other friends stories), Girlfriend at the time either had a personality transference or dropped the act, one days it is hugs and kisses, the next i'm seeing a red flag party after getting hit out of the blue and then told "if you do anything, i'll say that you hit me!".

Looking back it, i'm sure a few amber signs had showed up in hindsight throughout the relationship, but that escalated quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

eeguy wrote: »
    She should be happy! It means he's good for round 2 later that night or the morning after.

I was going out with a girl for a year and we went away to a hotel for our anniversary. Great night, great sex, great sleep, but in the morning she wouldn't come down for breakfast with me.

So I went down for food and came back 30 mins later to her in floods of tears.
    She basically had a breakdown and was saying how I was so great that she couldn't possibly be good enough for me, or pretty enough, or intelligent etc etc. It came absolutely out of nowhere and I had no idea what to do but reassure her that it was all going to be ok.
    Anyways, this episode led to clingyness, neediness, some general paranoia that I was cheating and a need to be in constant communication. It lasted another 6 months before I had to break things off.

so she wasn't good enough for you in the end?
    awkward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Strangulation

Advertisement