Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

• 29-12-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Just a thread for miscellaneous questions that don't deserve their own thread iykwim .

Does anyone know what this is? Took this picture a few months ago and she healed after a while through injections and formalin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Just a thread for miscellaneous questions that don't deserve their own thread iykwim .

Does anyone know what this is? Took this picture a few months ago and she healed after a while through injections and formalin

I don't, but I have seen it enough. I have bought in Suffolk cross lambs now, and a few of em have something like it... :(

In ewes, I used to cull for it. Cos the ones that had it, seemed to have bad feet overall...

Maybe not what you wanted to hear Charolais :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dylan collins

how many sheep and cattle would u need to become a full time farmer i dont want to but i was just wondering

how many sheep and cattle would u need to become a full time farmer i dont want to but i was just wondering

Not sure that's a question that can be answered, it depends on so many variables...

If its an academic exercise, better off working out how much money you want / need to get from full time farming, then using Teasgasc profit monitor numbers to see what returns you can get from sheep / beef, then you can work out numbers of animals from that (and then you can work out acres, and then factor in loan repayments, and then shake our head in disbelief and put the workings in a drawer never to be looked at again) ;):(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I don't, but I have seen it enough. I have bought in Suffolk cross lambs now, and a few of em have something like it... :(

In ewes, I used to cull for it. Cos the ones that had it, seemed to have bad feet overall...

Maybe not what you wanted to hear Charolais :(

Only the one ewe...wanted to get out of her cos she had very little milk as a hoggett and bad feet but the father said give her another year and we'll see how's she like then.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dylan collins

is land rental expensive in donegal does anyone know cause i looked up land for rent in donegal but theres only 2 fields which are a long way from me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Is it foot rot? That's what it looks like from the picture!

Is it foot rot? That's what it looks like from the picture!

No smell

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nagshead

I would of said foot rot as well , I have had a few funny feet situations lately which i think could be down to using formalin too much where i have had a very lame ewe with no sign of scald , rot or Codd but i think it may have been caused by footbathing with formalin, it cleans and kills anything on the foot or between the toes and hardens up the whole foot trapping a bit of infection on the inside which then has to really get nasty and sore before it can burst out and eventually heal , thats my theory anyway , what i have found is if a sheep does not respond/get better from 2 shots of oxytet in 4 days its probably Codd.
    So your probably ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Was thinking of doing a thread like this for a long time,did you pare it then?

IH784man wrote: »
    Was thinking of doing a thread like this for a long time,did you pare it then?

No footbath and injection...we've taken teagascs advice about not paring wrighrly or wrongly

• Advertisement

Ewe aborted today ....can't factory her either because she got dose with 42 day withdrawal

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Any ideas wat the Cull ewe trade is like? Scanning Tuesday and I'd like to off load the emptys as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Ewe aborted today ....can't factory her either because she got dose with 42 day withdrawal
    Any idea what caused her to abort

390kid wrote: »
    Any idea what caused her to abort

Just one of those things... She was with a ram lamb and an empty ewe that needed nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

Was going to clip my triplet ewes and house tomorro would 8 weeks wool be enough on them due to start lambing 1st March. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

cattle man wrote: »
    Was going to clip my triplet ewes and house tomorro would 8 weeks wool be enough on them due to start lambing 1st March. ?

We shear everything after scanning. So some would have only 6weeks wool on them. My theory is if youre letting out a two day old lamb with no wool then surely the ewe with 6-8 weeks wool will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭roosky

If ewes with wool need 18 inchs to eat meal how much less do they need if i was to shear them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

roosky wrote: »
    If ewes with wool need 18 inchs to eat meal how much less do they need if i was to shear them

It's not recommended to reduce feeding space, in fact the recommened space for lowland ewes (80kg +) is nearer to 20 inches.
    Not enough trough space is a recipe for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Need to rearrange my lambing shed after an awful first run. For Suffolks, do you think I would want the full 24 inches of feed space?

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Need to rearrange my lambing shed after an awful first run. For Suffolks, do you think I would want the full 24 inches of feed space?

Don't know but i used to feed 10 pedigree vendeens in 16ft and they were big sheep, probably not as wide as suffolk though.

If you look at the ewes in the tunnel at the far end, you'll see they're eating out of walkthrough troughs at right angles to the feeding passage, they're 12 ft long and i can throw the meal from the feeding passage....can you put some in to your setup

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/704803/404610.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭kk.man

rangler1 wrote: »
    Don't know but i used to feed 10 pedigree vendeens in 16ft and they were big sheep, probably not as wide as suffolk though.

If you look at the ewes in the tunnel at the far end, you'll see they're eating out of walkthrough troughs at right angles to the feeding passage, they're 12 ft long and i can throw the meal from the feeding passage....can you put some in to your setup

That is a lovely set up Rangler!

rangler1 wrote:

rangler1 wrote:

Seen that shed from the road manys a time rangler and it excites me from the outside alone........what do you do to replace the hardship of ring feeders and troughs....i would have so much free hardship with a set up like that !

If you had to have more housing for sheep would you build a tunnel or shed

Seen that shed from the road manys a time rangler and it excites me from the outside alone........what do you do to replace the hardship of ring feeders and troughs....i would have so much free hardship with a set up like that !

Thanks, feeding meal instead of hay or silage reduces the hardship hugely, those ewes are only getting bedded plus .5kg meal/day at the moment but they'll go up to 1kgmeal/ day in february...

If you had to have more housing for sheep would you build a tunnel or shed

probably a shed if i was 30 years younger, I went for the tunnel because i wanted it up in a hurry, that one was erected in a week once i had the base ready, the weather was brutal at the time and i wanted the sheep in quick.

rangler1 wrote:
    Thanks, feeding meal instead of hay or silage reduces the hardship hugely, those ewes are only getting bedded plus .5kg meal/day at the moment but they'll go up to 1kgmeal/ day in february...

So no silage or hay??..

My ewes for example twins will get silage and then meal from 7 weeks out building from 200g to 700g

How do you do it....just 500g every day housed and then build from a few weeks out ?

So no silage or hay??..

My ewes for example twins will get silage and then meal from 7 weeks out building from 200g to 700g

How do you do it....just 500g every day housed and then build from a few weeks out ?

yea, count .5kg meal +straw as equal to silage and supplement from there, I need to be at 1.25 kgs for the last two weeks pregnancy, so they're fed 3 times a day then
    It sounds expensive compared to pit silage but not compared to average silage in round bales

Just edited to say that they're on a high energy hogget finisher ration a the moment, 14%P.

yea, count .5kg meal +straw as equal to silage and supplement from there, I need to be at 1.25 kgs for the last two weeks pregnancy, so they're fed 3 times a day then
    It sounds expensive compared to pit silage but not compared to average silage in round bales

Just edited to say that they're on a high energy hogget finisher ration a the moment, 14%P.

I fed straw and ration the last 2 years I was lambing... cos twas handier more than anything...

My facilities would not be as nice for either man nor beast as ranglers ;)

I used to throw in a round bale of straw into the pen with the ewes and they would eat what they wanted, twould take care of feed and bedding for a few days... bales would want to be bales right tho, if not they'd fall apart too quick and you'd go through the straw too quick...

Cos I was at work, I could only feed em twice a day. 0.5kg morn and eve.
    First year I used to feed them outside where they were penned, so I could put out the ration and then added extra soya bean on top to up the protein %

Last year, I fed em in the pen, so twas just ration, no soya...
    Lambing went very well, but the ewes were thinner than I'd like after lambing. But I didn't want to go over 0.5kg in one feed...

But, twas only for very small numbers...

Ya its very interesting .....get it hard to imagine them without silage, old habits and all that

• Advertisement

It's an ideal system for the likes of myself that likes an easy life, also suits someone that hasn't many ewes as using silage for a small amount of ewes isn't easy....nor is buying hay good enough for sheep,
    Also very clean near a dwelling,

Advertisement