Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Legion - FX

• 02-06-2016 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Legion follows David Haller (Dan Stevens), the schizophrenic son of X-Men head Charles Xavier. Confined to a mental institution for much of his life, David finally finds a source of hope in a fellow patient, who leads him to believe that the “crazy” visions he’s been experiencing might actually be real.

Aubrey Plaza will also star as David’s friend Lenny, an optimistic sidekick despite being a big-time abuser of drugs and alcohol.

Additionally, Jean Smart (Fargo) will co-star as Melanie, a “nurturing, demanding” therapist.

Source TV Line

http://tvline.com/2016/05/31/legion-series-order-fx-marvel/

Ordered to series

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

...but not set in FOX's X-Men film universe? Bah.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

...but not set in FOX's X-Men film universe? Bah.

Probably just as well though: the synopsis sounds like a world that hasn't quite experienced mutants. And that narrative ship already sailed by the mid 70s in the Film universe. A blank slate also means circumventing the frankly labyrinthine continuity Fox has mangled together.

Plus, sounds like it might be a fairly dark adaptation, so not sure tying it explicitly to the Stewart / McAvoy version of Xavier would be a great idea. Will be interesting if indeed that familial tie will even exist, and if they cast a TV-version of Prof. X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

trailer:

That cut in the middle! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well it looks great; the description made it sounds like it might be pretty grim, and may yet be, but the trailer popped with bold colours and some decent compositions; you can see Noah Hawley 's hand (who i didn't realise was involved in this) that respect because it looks like it'll be a handsome production for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement

Hrmmm, I thought I felt a bigger "wow" with the first trailer. This one feels like it's dampening expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This will will premiere on FOX UK on Thursday, 9th February 2017 at 9pm, the day after the US premiere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Really Cool poster released for this....

404407.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Ohh this looks like Heros to me! To be avoided like the plague!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ohh this looks like Heros to me! To be avoided like the plague!
    How does it look like 'Heroes' other than the very basic premise? And certainly the first trailer isn't like 'Heroes' at all. I'd have a lot of confidence on this - it's on cable to start with so much more creative freedom and 'Fargo' is a superb series so Hawley's involvement is definitely a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First reviews are starting to appear and they all are going with it will blow your mind good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is starting tonight. As AC said above, the reviews for this are incredible.

100% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes from 28 critic reviews.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/legion/s01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Brilliant, something to look forward to watch later so. Cheers for the reminder.

Anyone watch this yet?
    It's premiering in Spain, on FX next monday... the 13th..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone watch this yet?
    It's premiering in Spain, on FX next monday... the 13th..

It starts tonight on Fox UK

That was truly amazing.

Visually it was stunning the colour palette was so beautiful it felt like I was watching a living comic.

It reminded so much of Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

This was fantastic stuff.So refreshing and the tunes were class.

That was wonderful stuff..
    Blown away actually..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Really enjoyed it. Bit drawn out in parts but overall great feel off it helped no end by the music...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Really good.

Anyone else get an air of 'Utopia' from it? The music, the visuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Off to a brilliant start.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Thought it was fantastic,probably could've cut 10mins off it but still great stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I must be the only person who didnt like it from the sounds of things. I'll give it another episode or two but the pilot missed big time for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I enjoyed it but the surreality didn't really wash with me. If a programme isn't grounded in reality I find it hard to empathise with the characters. Still, that might change as David comes more into the (his) real world from the hospital/meds/perceived insanity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Very enjoyable. Wish I could watch episode 2 straight away - it was just getting going.

That was really cool!

Need to see where it's going.

Damn but yer man reminds me of
    how morph in 90s XMen was having trouble with reality

Even how the first episode ends
    is kinda like how the first episode of 90s XMen went with a raid through a fence against baddies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I liked it.
    If went into it not knowing it was tied into the XMen franchise, I wouldn't have known at all until at least 20 mins in when they first said mutant.

Hope the quality continues. Wonder what the others' powers are, apart from the guy who just throws everyone and everything

Well that was ... ... something. I liked it, really liked it, and I particularly loved the bold striking colours throughout, but it was all so gleefully unhinged I felt like a somewhat bewildered passenger watching it. That was probably the point I guess, given David's precarious mental state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

https://www.google.ie/search?q=legion+fx&oq=legion+fx&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.6936j0j4&client=ms-android-htc-rev&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#mie=e%2Coverview%2Clegion%20fx%2CH4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLVT9c3NEzOqzSwSEqyeMTozS3w8sc9YSmnSWtOXmO04eIKzsgvd80rySypFNLjYoOyVLgEpVB1ajBI8XOhCvEAAKzwUo5fAAAA

Anyone watch the first episode yet?

Watched it last night. Amazing! New favorite show, hopefully they can keep it up for the 8 episodes

Edit: thanks for the move. I did a search for Legion on boards but all that came up was WoW Legion for some reason, even recent posts.

Anyway, new episode tomorrow/Thursday, can't wait!

• Advertisement

Another fantastic episode, quality is still well on par with the first.He's a good actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Another fantastic episode, quality is still well on par with the first.He's a good actor.

Yup really enjoyed it too! Darker themed music this time too. Don't know the comic so very interested in where this could go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Seen the first 2. I'll watch the rest of the season but don't think it's for me. Bit too artsy, dreamy and random for my liking

Far too much like this, at the moment, for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Actually think that the third episode was better than the pilot...
    Which is very promising for the series.

Dan Stevens is just excellent. The way he conveys vulnerability and softness, then rage and frustration, all the while being confused and unaware.
    He's just been brilliant to watch.
    Sid & Lenny starting to offer a bit more too I think. Particularly Sid, where they exchanged body swap stories.

The Devil with Yellow eyes & Big Head were proper creepy!
    This show really brings you through a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think I'm going to have to stop watching this before bed; that episode gave me the heebie-jeebies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I'm really liking this show, I think it hits the mark in a few different fan bases.

It's proper creepy in places, I would recommend it all day long.

Thought the second episode was a bit dull but the third was better. The demon yoke actually sends a shiver down my spine every time

I think it's good but that it's going to lose (if it hasn't already lost) a bunch of viewers if it doesn't resolve and move on from this head thing pronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

God this is so annoying to watch, the constant same hallucinations over and over again, the boring dragged out plot, the Godawful dialogue where 90% of the show is taken up by people shouting "David? David? You need to listen to me David? David? David! David!". How did they make a mutant like Legion so utterly dull? How could they make a series set in the X-Men universe so boring?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm really enjoying this show. The production values are amazing helping to add to the tone. By not just showing David flinging around his powers, but coming to understand them (and himself), it stands out from the many other DC / Marvel shows. It's also got that touch of surrealism and humour that's in Hawley's "Fargo". Refreshing indeed in terms of the other shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Thargor wrote:
    God this is so annoying to watch, the constant same hallucinations over and over again, the boring dragged out plot, the Godawful dialogue where 90% of the show is taken up by people shouting "David? David? You need to listen to me David? David? David! David!". How did they make a mutant like Legion so utterly dull? How could they make a series set in the X-Men universe so boring?

Even if I agreed with this (which I don't), it doesn't even come close to some of the movies on the 'dull' scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wasn't sure if i was going to like this. The first 2 episodes had me intrigued, but i was unsure if the style was going to grate on me. But, after watching the 3rd episode, i'm hooked. I find it's moving along at a really good pace, and it's handled really well, what with David stuck between what is real and what isn't. Even the flashbacks still tip along and are not just filler, but instead actually give some background that I want to know.

I'm not sure of his powers, i haven't read the comics and don't remember him from the cartoon back in the day. Looks like he's going to be overly-powerful. Will be interesting to see how that pans out, what with the abilities so far of telekinesis, telepathic, teleportation... Is there any tele's i'm missing from what we've seen so far?

Also, and i don't know if it was mentioned here already, but this thread is for the TV show yeah? So, like Flash, Arrow, etc any comic book references will be spoilered? And preferably with some mention that it's from the comics so i don't accidentally spoil something by thinking it's a tv spoiler. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thargor wrote: »

I feel the exact opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Binged episodes 2 & 3 last night. What a great show. Visually it just feels so fresh and unique... reminds me of Kubrick or Anderson in how its shot. I love the whole horror element to it too, the dream scenes are genuinely creepy.

Dan Stevens (who I've just realized was Matthew Crawley thanks to having to look up the actors name) is fantastic as David. I don't often watch a performance and think "yup that deserves an Emmy/Oscar" but I haven't been so absorbed by a character since probably Walter White.... and it's only 3 episodes in.

The support cast are all strong too and I like the set of powers that the characters have. It's all quite restrained for now but at the same time you know there is power there.

My only concern for the future of the show is what they do once they unlock David's full potential and moves past his "mental illness". A lot of what makes the show great right now is that David is essentially a character from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest but with huge power and is haunted by some freaky demons. Once that goes... can the show resist becoming another generic superhero show?

Question... Davids dad... why aren't they showing his face and why is he an assh*le? I ask because
    Prof X is his dad so it doesn't make sense. Also, in the same vein, how does this narrative of mutants only becoming known fit with Prof X obviously being around for a few decades. In this TV universe did he never set up the X-Men?

I can't remember the exact words now, but when the baddies were interrogating David's sister she mentioned something about Legion. Anybody see this/know what's it about? (without spoilering of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Bacchus wrote: »
    My only concern for the future of the show is what they do once they unlock David's full potential and moves past his "mental illness". A lot of what makes the show great right now is that David is essentially a character from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest but with huge power and is haunted by some freaky demons. Once that goes... can the show resist becoming another generic superhero show?

This is only wild speculation, but
    I reckon he's going to have to restrain himself from using his powers as the more he uses them, the closer that evil thing gets to him and could kill him if he over uses his powers. This would mean that when he finally has full control, he can't use his powers too often.
    Again, i know nothing of the character, so i could be way off the mark, but i'm extremely interested to see how it progresses (even if someone at work spoilered the father of David for me... :mad: )

The yellow eyed demon I think represents David at his worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe I missed it but has there been anything to indicate this is set in the X Men universe? I mean if we didn't know from being told, I don't think anything implies there are X Men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it but has there been anything to indicate this is set in the X Men universe? I mean if we didn't know from being told, I don't think anything implies there are X Men.

What X-Men universe? There's only the movie universe for the X-Men and nothing suggests this is part of it.

There's an X-Men TV show in development too so maybe these two shows will share the same universe.

If you're just asking "are there X-Men in the Legion universe?", it doesn't seem so. Mutants appear to be a fairly new phenomenon.

The show runner said the likely hood of getting Patrick Stewart or James McAvoy to cameo at some stage is a no go which is down to budget that would sugest to me the original plan was to have it in the same shared universe.

With the films changing the timeline a number of times ( I think I'm confused with the films timelines) this could be still in the same universe but in a different timeline.

• Advertisement
Advertisement