Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marvel's Legion - FX

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Another fantastic episode, quality is still well on par with the first.He's a good actor.

Yup really enjoyed it too! Darker themed music this time too. Don't know the comic so very interested in where this could go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Seen the first 2. I'll watch the rest of the season but don't think it's for me. Bit too artsy, dreamy and random for my liking

Far too much like this, at the moment, for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Actually think that the third episode was better than the pilot...
    Which is very promising for the series.

Dan Stevens is just excellent. The way he conveys vulnerability and softness, then rage and frustration, all the while being confused and unaware.
    He's just been brilliant to watch.
    Sid & Lenny starting to offer a bit more too I think. Particularly Sid, where they exchanged body swap stories.

The Devil with Yellow eyes & Big Head were proper creepy!
    This show really brings you through a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think I'm going to have to stop watching this before bed; that episode gave me the heebie-jeebies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I'm really liking this show, I think it hits the mark in a few different fan bases.

It's proper creepy in places, I would recommend it all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Thought the second episode was a bit dull but the third was better. The demon yoke actually sends a shiver down my spine every time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think it's good but that it's going to lose (if it hasn't already lost) a bunch of viewers if it doesn't resolve and move on from this head thing pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

God this is so annoying to watch, the constant same hallucinations over and over again, the boring dragged out plot, the Godawful dialogue where 90% of the show is taken up by people shouting "David? David? You need to listen to me David? David? David! David!". How did they make a mutant like Legion so utterly dull? How could they make a series set in the X-Men universe so boring?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm really enjoying this show. The production values are amazing helping to add to the tone. By not just showing David flinging around his powers, but coming to understand them (and himself), it stands out from the many other DC / Marvel shows. It's also got that touch of surrealism and humour that's in Hawley's "Fargo". Refreshing indeed in terms of the other shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Thargor wrote:
    God this is so annoying to watch, the constant same hallucinations over and over again, the boring dragged out plot, the Godawful dialogue where 90% of the show is taken up by people shouting "David? David? You need to listen to me David? David? David! David!". How did they make a mutant like Legion so utterly dull? How could they make a series set in the X-Men universe so boring?

Even if I agreed with this (which I don't), it doesn't even come close to some of the movies on the 'dull' scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wasn't sure if i was going to like this. The first 2 episodes had me intrigued, but i was unsure if the style was going to grate on me. But, after watching the 3rd episode, i'm hooked. I find it's moving along at a really good pace, and it's handled really well, what with David stuck between what is real and what isn't. Even the flashbacks still tip along and are not just filler, but instead actually give some background that I want to know.

I'm not sure of his powers, i haven't read the comics and don't remember him from the cartoon back in the day. Looks like he's going to be overly-powerful. Will be interesting to see how that pans out, what with the abilities so far of telekinesis, telepathic, teleportation... Is there any tele's i'm missing from what we've seen so far?

Also, and i don't know if it was mentioned here already, but this thread is for the TV show yeah? So, like Flash, Arrow, etc any comic book references will be spoilered? And preferably with some mention that it's from the comics so i don't accidentally spoil something by thinking it's a tv spoiler. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thargor wrote: »

I feel the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Binged episodes 2 & 3 last night. What a great show. Visually it just feels so fresh and unique... reminds me of Kubrick or Anderson in how its shot. I love the whole horror element to it too, the dream scenes are genuinely creepy.

Dan Stevens (who I've just realized was Matthew Crawley thanks to having to look up the actors name) is fantastic as David. I don't often watch a performance and think "yup that deserves an Emmy/Oscar" but I haven't been so absorbed by a character since probably Walter White.... and it's only 3 episodes in.

The support cast are all strong too and I like the set of powers that the characters have. It's all quite restrained for now but at the same time you know there is power there.

My only concern for the future of the show is what they do once they unlock David's full potential and moves past his "mental illness". A lot of what makes the show great right now is that David is essentially a character from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest but with huge power and is haunted by some freaky demons. Once that goes... can the show resist becoming another generic superhero show?

Question... Davids dad... why aren't they showing his face and why is he an assh*le? I ask because
    Prof X is his dad so it doesn't make sense. Also, in the same vein, how does this narrative of mutants only becoming known fit with Prof X obviously being around for a few decades. In this TV universe did he never set up the X-Men?

I can't remember the exact words now, but when the baddies were interrogating David's sister she mentioned something about Legion. Anybody see this/know what's it about? (without spoilering of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Bacchus wrote: »
    My only concern for the future of the show is what they do once they unlock David's full potential and moves past his "mental illness". A lot of what makes the show great right now is that David is essentially a character from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest but with huge power and is haunted by some freaky demons. Once that goes... can the show resist becoming another generic superhero show?

This is only wild speculation, but
    I reckon he's going to have to restrain himself from using his powers as the more he uses them, the closer that evil thing gets to him and could kill him if he over uses his powers. This would mean that when he finally has full control, he can't use his powers too often.
    Again, i know nothing of the character, so i could be way off the mark, but i'm extremely interested to see how it progresses (even if someone at work spoilered the father of David for me... :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

The yellow eyed demon I think represents David at his worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe I missed it but has there been anything to indicate this is set in the X Men universe? I mean if we didn't know from being told, I don't think anything implies there are X Men.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it but has there been anything to indicate this is set in the X Men universe? I mean if we didn't know from being told, I don't think anything implies there are X Men.

What X-Men universe? There's only the movie universe for the X-Men and nothing suggests this is part of it.

There's an X-Men TV show in development too so maybe these two shows will share the same universe.

If you're just asking "are there X-Men in the Legion universe?", it doesn't seem so. Mutants appear to be a fairly new phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The show runner said the likely hood of getting Patrick Stewart or James McAvoy to cameo at some stage is a no go which is down to budget that would sugest to me the original plan was to have it in the same shared universe.

With the films changing the timeline a number of times ( I think I'm confused with the films timelines) this could be still in the same universe but in a different timeline.

• Advertisement

The show runner said the likely hood of getting Patrick Stewart or James McAvoy to cameo at some stage is a no go which is down to budget that would sugest to me the original plan was to have it in the same shared universe.

With the films changing the timeline a number of times ( I think I'm confused with the films timelines) this could be still in the same universe but in a different timeline.

TBH, I'd prefer to keep it entirely separate from the movies. As you said, the timelines are a jumble in the movies so a clean slate would be preferable. From what we've seen so far of the show, it wouldn't make sense anyway. Mutants (and X-Men) are in the public eye in the movies whereas this show is making it out that we are seeing the beginnings of humanity learning about mutants.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Well that latest episode (4) was wonderfully weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm thoroughly loving it.

I wrote the following on another forum here after episode one. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102601014&postcount=4

I think knowing Legion's background/powers/story helps with watching it, as does having the subtitles on.

I really like how it's shot too but can see how the series might not be everyones cup of tea, well quite a lot of peoples tbh.

I'm slowly liking this less and less. About half of each episode seems to be dreams/hallucinations and even though they're relevant to the plot they're very repetitive with the story only moving a couple of inches each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So like... again I think what they did in this episode was really cool but.. again.. I'm guessing this can't hold the audience it needs.

It almost felt refreshingly different how they did the fight with the less focus on physical action.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm slowly liking this less and less. About half of each episode seems to be dreams/hallucinations and even though they're relevant to the plot they're very repetitive with the story only moving a couple of inches each week.
    More than half, 3/4 of each ep is either hallucinations or psychobabble, and worse its repetitive hallucinations and psychobabble, to the point where some scenes are copies of previous scenes in the same episode. The amount of times they say his name is migraine-inducing aswell, David? David? David! David! David???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I loved the bit in the kitchen with everything going nuts...... Again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bacchus wrote: »
    What X-Men universe? There's only the movie universe for the X-Men and nothing suggests this is part of it.

There's an X-Men TV show in development too so maybe these two shows will share the same universe.

If you're just asking "are there X-Men in the Legion universe?", it doesn't seem so. Mutants appear to be a fairly new phenomenon.

I just mean in general. It's based on Legion from the X Men comics, and all the reports up until it aired was about it being set in the X Men universe (not necessarily the movies, but just that they exist).
    Also how the summary on wiki, etc. mentions who his father is, which hasn't been said yet. It's kinda annoying in the way that it's a pretty big spoiler that they casually say it in a summary even though it'll probably be treated as a big reveal if it is revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Was great watching Jemaine Clement in the latest episode, the musical choices are delightfully self indulgent.

I think they missed a trick with David not pulling an Eleven on the van.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Also how the summary on wiki, etc. mentions who his father is, which hasn't been said yet. It's kinda annoying in the way that it's a pretty big spoiler that they casually say it in a summary even though it'll probably be treated as a big reveal if it is revealed.
    Yep - had the same issue with io9. They basically reveal it as fact so I assumed there would be no mystery about it in the show, that it would be common knowledge (and not one I had had since I never even heard of Legion before the show). Quite annoying really.

Advertisement