Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon fire 7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

blobbie wrote: »
    It might be trying to update the Play Store in the background. This can take a while and didn't give me any message that it was updating other than to say it had updated after the fact.

Did you ever get into play store? If not, try reinstall. If so, power off, power back on and try access a google app e.g. mail, calendar and leave for a while, say 10mins to give Google Paly time to update (if this is what is happening in the background).

The whole thing is messed up. I tried to uninstall all the google apps and reinstall. But I couldn't uninstall the last one Google Play Services as it was looking for some device administrator permission which I couldn't select.

I reninstalled the other google apps but they won't open.

Too much of a pain to be dealing with it.

I have a couple of apps already downloaded which I use though they probably won't get updated now.

Edit. Google search opens for me but Chrome or others won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Did you follow this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/installing-google-framework-playstore-t3216122

If so see post # 9 - maybe this will help.

blobbie wrote: »
    Did you follow this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/installing-google-framework-playstore-t3216122

If so see post # 9 - maybe this will help.

I have done that before. Lots of youtube videos on it.

The problem is that once the Amazon Fire does a system update it seems to stop the google apps from working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

I have done that before. Lots of youtube videos on it.

The problem is that once the Amazon Fire does a system update it seems to stop the google apps from working.

Are you using a Google for Work or Education A/C ?

If so, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=69872665&postcount=43

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Ste- wrote: »
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    Wait what?...GTA 3 + PS3 controller?....you have my attention! Can it be done with a ps4 controller?

It's usb otg. ps4 pad should be easier than ps3. Not sure if the tablet needs to be rooted to gain usb otg tho. something to check out.

I managed to get it all working on snes Roms. I didn't wist for a ps3 game to download yet so not so sure on that yet.

I used genplusdroid app as the emulator and some Bluetooth app to stop controller input lag over Bluetooth.

I'll be attempting ps2 games tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Ps2 and ps3 games on a 40quid tablet. What a time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I downloaded the Irish Times app from the Play Store, bought today's paper, transaction confirmed by email. In the app though nothing happens, it doesn't download the paper.

Assume it's some issue with putting the Play Store on when you're not supposed to is it?

podge018 wrote: »
    I downloaded the Irish Times app from the Play Store, bought today's paper, transaction confirmed by email. In the app though nothing happens, it doesn't download the paper.

Assume it's some issue with putting the Play Store on when you're not supposed to is it?

Download a free app on Amazon store called Irish news. It has all the Irish media sites plus local news sites.

Download a free app on Amazon store called Irish news. It has all the Irish media sites plus local news sites.

I want to download the proper paper and read it offline.

• Advertisement

I want to download the proper paper and read it offline.

There are ways to get the Play Store and then the app you need but it seems the Play Store and other google apps stop functioning after a while. They just don't open. It is possible that the Fire OS closes them off.

So unless you root the app and install a different OS you may be out of luck. Rooting can be a pain if things go wrong and worse case you will end up with a bricked tablet. Since it only cost you €40 or €50 you might be willing to do that.

I have the Play Store and the app I want. I made the purchase. It just seems to be broke at that stage, it won't download.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Do you have the newest playstore? Did you follow this guide or a different one?
    You could download it on another Android device and send it to the tablet or try Andy, MEmu or droid4x on your PC to download it.
    Not ideal, but until you figure out the issue or get the newest play store it may be of help.

I have the Play Store and the app I want. I made the purchase. It just seems to be broke at that stage, it won't download.

I don't know. I had thejournal and the42 downloaded and they worked fine while I had them initially before I did a factory reset.

To be honest I wouldn't be relying on a €40 tablet that has the play store illegally pushed onto it.

Keep it for what it is good for. Using the Kindle reader and other basic browsing plus maybe movies on sd card or games for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Jaysus is this a bargain alert or a technical services Helpdesk?! Come on mods close it down ta **** or move it some place else.

I've clicked on this a few times now like I'm sure others have thinkin it's on sale again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Akrasia wrote: »
    There are a few tricky parts of the rooting process. When you try to install kingroot the tablet says it is unsafe and won't continue. I ended up rolling back the os but that error still appeared. It was only then that I realised you could scroll down to override the error message.

Kingroot restarted a few times but got there in the end.

The supertool linked earlier in the thread is excellent. It's a batch file that automates a lot of the process

Just getting around to this,

I wish it automated the whole process frown.png

As i got stuck when trying to update the drivers, as i had to do it manually, but didn't know where to look but wish i'd come onto this site earlier afaik someone may have posted it,

As it gave some helpful tips & in the comment's section below too

As the Fire was under Portable devices & not USB devices & select android_winusb.inf file in usb_drivers folder

But
    i've noticed that as well as clicking on auto.bat, there's also mention on clicking on 1-Amazon-Fire-5h-gen.bat:confused:
    I got the Playstore installed finally but after some head-scratching

I've never used playstore, but how many apps can you have on the tablet?

I briefly tried the rooting, but something popped up, i couldn't explain & it as getting late & gave it a break for a while!

I was on to Amazon chat regarding the cable not working & having to use a phone cable for a samsung phone, that i got one sent on to me, but after looking at the link by mrcheesz I got them to remove the ads also.

But also asked why if the tablet is 8GB, that in My Computer it shows that 3.78GB is free from 5.78GB one Amazon couldn't answer & bizarrely disconnected :rolleyes:
    But another told me to reset to default setting, but i though it may take away all the work that the script done earlier on?

Thanks for any suggestions & help too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,921 ✭✭✭✭muffler

IBut also asked why if the tablet is 8GB, that in My Computer it shows that 3.78GB is free from 5.78GB one Amazon couldn't answer & bizarrely disconnected :rolleyes:
    mine is showing at 3.63 gb free out of 5.84 gb which is odd indeed

muffler wrote: »
    mine is showing at 3.63 gb free out of 5.84 gb which is odd indeed

It's not odd. There's a total of 8gb, and the 5.84gb is what is available to the user. The rest is taken by the system partition. You've essentially used 2gb of storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Basil3 wrote: »
    You've essentially used 2gb of storage.

Can be confusing for people when they've only installed an app or two. When system apps update the don't overwrite the original version in the rom so system app updates can easily take up 0.5 - 1Gb before you've even installed any apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,921 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As a non techie it's certainly confusing for me. I can understand the bit about 5.84 gb being the remaining storage after the OS is installed etc but where or how did I loose 2 gb storage considering I havent installed a single thing on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

muffler wrote: »
    As a non techie it's certainly confusing for me. I can understand the bit about 5.84 gb being the remaining storage after the OS is installed etc but where or how did I loose 2 gb storage considering I havent installed a single thing on it?

It's been going on for years and it's a disgrace.
    Blatant false advertising.

I've bought phones with "4GB of internal storage" and ended up with just 1GB available to use.

It's a loophole that manufactures are exploiting and it needs to be shut. You should have to advertise available storage only.

It's like advertising a fridge with "100 litres" storage but you can only use 50 cause of the fan and electronics and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

My sister got a couple of these for her kids. I rooted them and installed cm 12. She wanted them to look as if the packaging hadn't been opened so I heated up the bottom of the packaging with a hairdryer to soften the adhesive then used a sharp thin knife to lift the flap
    . There was enough stick left to seal the box again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Best way to get these linked to my lg smart TV?
    Don't think they can mirror screen and have looked on amazon for an adaptor only seems to be for 4th gen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mccartj5

Best way to get these linked to my lg smart TV?
    Don't think they can mirror screen and have looked on amazon for an adaptor only seems to be for 4th gen though.

Download an app call AllConnect, I use this to connect my phone to my LG smart tv

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

digitaldr wrote: »
    My sister got a couple of these for her kids. I rooted them and installed cm 12. She wanted them to look as if the packaging hadn't been opened so I heated up the bottom of the packaging with a hairdryer to soften the adhesive then used a sharp thin knife to lift the flap
    . There was enough stick left to seal the box again.

Any way to install cm12 after all the recent updates? I have the play store installed and use a screen overlay to "replace" the home key with the launcher of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Is it just mine or everybody's tab slow. Specs are decent enough so it shouldn't be that slow...is it the fire OS?...it takes forever to open apps...I have installed play store and so far I have only downloaded Youtube, Chrome and Plex...afraid it'll make it more slow If I download more apps...does rooting help it speed up?

Back on offer @ amazon.co.uk - 8gb for £35, 16gb for £45. £15 off each.

http://tinyurl.com/z9o87cp

• Registered Users Posts: 51,178 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

8gb version down now to 44.99 in Argos, 16gb version is 59.99 and get the black folio case half price @ 5.49 if you buy it with the tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

thanks folks, my colleagues who missed on earlier sale have snapped them up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Is it just mine or everybody's tab slow. Specs are decent enough so it shouldn't be that slow...is it the fire OS?...it takes forever to open apps...I have installed play store and so far I have only downloaded Youtube, Chrome and Plex...afraid it'll make it more slow If I download more apps...does rooting help it speed up?
    Mine is painfully slow, connecting to Netflix is hit-and-miss, and the browser is atrocious - I don't think I've managed to open a website on it properly yet.
    When you do get a Netflix connection, it streams fine so I don't think it's a hardware issue. I just haven't had the time to read up on what to do about it yet.

Advertisement