Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

To me that sounds like a good case for having the centre on a hue switch, no? I'm not suggesting you do this, I am thinking about my own setup and wondering if that would be a good use of one of the switches I have on order.

I already have the 2 lamps in the room on a dimmer switch, and I don't really want to add another just for the centre light, after all I have a traditional light switch for it anyway!

for the few times I'd use it, I can just use the app to select the particular light recipe I want, which would mostly be energise/concentrate.

although thinking about it now, I don't actually use/need the dimmer switch connected to the 2 lamps, so maybe it would be better to assign it to the centre light, with each press of the button selecting a different recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

bk wrote: »

For anyone looking, I received these today and they aren't big enough to cover my (fairly normal size) light switches as delivered. But I plan to cut off the side panels and then it will cover the front of the switch but silll leave a little bit on the side that you can reach if required.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

matrim wrote: »
    For anyone looking, I received these today and they aren't big enough to cover my (fairly normal size) light switches as delivered. But I plan to cut off the side panels and then it will cover the front of the switch but silll leave a little bit on the side that you can reach if required.

Sorry about that! It fits my standard looking switches fine. If others find the same then I'll remove it from the faq, I don't want to recommend something that doesn't work for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

bk wrote: »
    Sorry about that! It fits my standard looking switches fine. If others find the same then I'll remove it from the faq, I don't want to recommend something that doesn't work for most people.

No problem. They would work for plug switches but are too small for my light ones.

The internal measurement is about 15mm by 25mm so length wise it's fine but not enough width. As mentioned if I take off the sides it will work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads,

Just wondering if a google doc might be handy to keep track of prices, so many different products an random pricing.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EIZG2CQRq2yiluIwcOefL_KvegXZ2XYuiR1sTT7J6iU/edit#gid=0

Might be too much work in keeping it up.

// Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

great idea Gary. If you open it up to a couple of people we could all fill in detail

OU812 wrote: »
    great idea Gary. If you open it up to a couple of people we could all fill in detail

Should be editable. Is it not?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Should be editable. Is it not?

Editable now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Anyone know where is Dublin city centre you can get a B22 to E27 adaptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Orion wrote: »
    Anyone know where is Dublin city centre you can get a B22 to E27 adaptor?

IKEA, €1.50 for 2

• Advertisement

That's not in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Got 6 delivered from amazon today.

When I looked yesterday stock was out until the 8th and have an E27 colour bulb arriving tomorrow.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Quick one - Have the Starter kit arriving next week hopefully, does the Hub need to be wired to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Quick one - Have the Starter kit arriving next week hopefully, does the Hub need to be wired to the router?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

davo2001 wrote: »
    Yes

Can they be wired into a wifi range extender?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Can they be wired into a wifi range extender?

I've seen on Hues Facebook page that they advise against this, haven't done it myself though, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

2 questions, sorry if they've been asked before...

1. Can you use the app outside of your network if you have mobile broadband? ie. no fixed IP or port forwarding etc.

2. Anybody know if there are plans for a floodlight or something bright for outside? i realise this defeats the purpose of the 'plug and play' and would probably require an electrician or a socket, but would be very handy to turn on yard lights without having to have other socket systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Pete123456 wrote: »

1. Can you use the app outside of your network if you have mobile broadband? ie. no fixed IP or port forwarding etc.

2. Anybody know if there are plans for a floodlight or something bright for outside? i realise this defeats the purpose of the 'plug and play' and would probably require an electrician or a socket, but would be very handy to turn on yard lights without having to have other socket systems.

On question 1 - yes, I had to do nothing other than connect the hub to my router and install the app; once the app is logged into your Hue account it enables 'out of home' connections.

I don't believe there is a Hue floodlight; personally I have a white bulb installed in my external (enclosed) light which obviously wouldn't give the same coverage as a floodlight but facilitates automation for security purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Shred wrote: »
    On question 1 - yes, I had to do nothing other than connect the hub to my router and install the app; once the app is logged into your Hue account it enables 'out of home' connections.

Really ? anytime I've tried it, it won't work outside of wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Shred wrote: »

I don't believe there is a Hue floodlight; personally I have a white bulb installed in my external (enclosed) light which obviously wouldn't give the same coverage as a floodlight but facilitates automation for security purposes.

Cheers Shred,

Pity they dont do one, LED floodlights are much cheaper run and the idea of being able to flick them on with an app would be fantastic... i guess ill have to stick to what i have for now. Theyd probably be an absolute fortune to buy anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If you sign into on the "more" tab then you can use out of home connection

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I got my first delivery yesterday. Happy with it. But one thing I thought a bit weird was the Scene selection on the Hue App. I have my kitchen set up with three white/colour bulbs, when I choose certain scenes the three bulbs go different colours, rather than all the same. Is that "normal behaviour"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭paulbok

Cheers Shred,

Pity they dont do one, LED floodlights are much cheaper run and the idea of being able to flick them on with an app would be fantastic... i guess ill have to stick to what i have for now. Theyd probably be an absolute fortune to buy anyways!

1. The app works anywhere as long a you have data connection.

2. No known outdoor lights yet, but there are ways to control electrical lights outside of the hue environment. Lightwaverf, Aeon labs and Fibaro are some makers of inline relays that you connect somewhere (behind the lightswitch or in the attic on the cable to the lights. This allows you to remotely switch them on/off and those manufacturers do integrate with other systems. However you would have to invest in additional kit to get them to work, in particular a hub that can receive them

I got my first delivery yesterday. Happy with it. But one thing I thought a bit weird was the Scene selection on the Hue App. I have my kitchen set up with three white/colour bulbs, when I choose certain scenes the three bulbs go different colours, rather than all the same. Is that "normal behaviour"?

That is exactly what they are supposed to do with multiple bulbs and scenes. the mixture of the colours is what makes a scene, rather than say one (or 3 bulbs) just turning blue or red.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

you can also create better scenes (in my opinion) in the original Hue app, you can drag each light to any colour you want for it etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

paulbok wrote: »

Cheers Shred,

2. No known outdoor lights yet, but there are ways to control electrical lights outside of the hue environment. Lightwaverf, Aeon labs and Fibaro are some makers of inline relays that you connect somewhere (behind the lightswitch or in the attic on the cable to the lights. This allows you to remotely switch them on/off and those manufacturers do integrate with other systems. However you would have to invest in additional kit to get them to work, in particular a hub that can receive them
    Do these relays work in the Hue environment?
    Or at a higher level perhaps, should one consider the Elgato and control all via HomeKit?: https://www.elgato.com/en/eve/eve-energy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

paulbok wrote: »

Cheers Shred,

Do these relays work in the Hue environment?
    Or at a higher level perhaps, should one consider the Elgato and control all via HomeKit?: https://www.elgato.com/en/eve/eve-energy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Yep, the key part is "once the app is logged into your Hue account" - goto settings/more and it should be the first option available there.

• Advertisement

I don't think they work within Hue, I have a few Aeon labs relays and Hue doesn't pick them up.
    I use Samsung smartthings as a master controller and it picks up both Hue and the Aeon devices, and will pick up Fibaro too (not lightwaverf though).

I'm not familiar with Elgato, but after having a quick look at their site it does what you want via the outlet sockets or wall switches, however they do look to only work on US power supply of 120V so won't work here on 220V.

Advertisement