Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philips Hue FAQ

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Dunjam wrote: »
    Amazon.es have the 2m Lightstrip Plus for €36.44.

Dam you just spent €80 on more hue stuff I don't need, but what a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Presume the light strips come with a 2 pin from Spain and need an adaptor?

Temporarily unavailable.

Still ordered along with a dimmer switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

adox wrote: »
    Presume the light strips come with a 2 pin from Spain and need an adaptor?

I got my one from amazon.co.uk and it came with both a 2 pin and Irish 3 pin. There was a part of the plug that clips out so you can change between them easily.

Not sure if the ones from amazon.es are the same but you would think so if they went to the trouble fo doing both.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Dunjam wrote: »
    Amazon.es have the 2m Lightstrip Plus for €36.44.

Damn you is right!
    Couldn't justify paying 8 for the shipping so bought the e27 starter kit too :eek:

Cheers !

• Advertisement

The Hue Go is €60 on .es site too. Very tempting as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I thought I had missed the best of the deals and was just planning to buy from Amazon.fr with the 25% off. Luckily, I checked the forum first, as I've now an order for the Hue White Ambiance kit, an third white ambiance bulb, and two 2m lightstrips on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Seems the light strip is now €80 on Amazon.es?

embraer170 wrote: »

Was showing the same for me earlier but there was another buying option that didn't have any stock. Order still went through and I have an expected delivery in mid December.

Thought the dimmer was a bargain too at under €17 so threw one of those in too.

Edit: Just had a look there and it seems the cheaper price has indeed gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Shred

embraer170 wrote: »

Yeah it is (thanks be ta fúck:p).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

i have a friend working for philips

And you're only telling us now???

Seriously though, as someone suggested, a group buy with a profit for himself would be very appealing. I need to buy a load more bulbs including at least 8 ( possibly 12 gu10s)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I see the bloom is 50 pounds now in Amazon

The Hue Go is up from a low sale price of 50 to 62 but both are 80 pounds full price.

I don't have the bloom but with just 120 lumens compared to 400 on the Hue Go

I'd forget about the bloom TBH, nice stand but I'd buy a colour lamp and put it in a fancy desk lamp before I'd get the bloom

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yeah, I use two blooms as bedside lamps. Got them as part of a great deal a few years ago, before the go came out.

The work fine of course, but at these prices I'd buy a Go over a Blooom or even just a bulb in a standard lamp *

* I do like the small size of the bloom that takes up less space on the bedside table then a standard lamp.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    * I do like the small size of the bloom that takes up less space on the bedside table then a standard lamp.

I like its design too. But the reviews seem to suggest it's good but too expensive. Getting it in a sale is the right way to go alright.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I got a Bloom in Woodies a few weeks ago, and it's decent enough, I have it behind the TV in our bedroom,
    I was a bit disappointed it didn't do the ambient whites, just colour only, but I can live with it.

Just off the phone to Amazon there about my 2 twin pack GU10 white ambiances that were supposed to be delivered today, I got an email this morning saying they don't have them yet to send, and delivery date is tbc, thought I'd call them and try and blag them to send me 4 singles or 4 normal colour GU10's, but they were having none of it!! I ordered them on October 14th!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    I like its design too. But the reviews seem to suggest it's good but too expensive. Getting it in a sale is the right way to go alright.

Yup, I got two Blooms and a Hue bridge (v1.0 one) starter bundle for £73, two years ago.

Well worth it for all that at that price. But not £50 for one, not compared to the Go anyway.

Temporarily unavailable.

Still ordered along with a dimmer switch.

As an FYI in the Lightstrip from Amazon.es, I Just got an e-mail to say they will be delivered on the 14th Dec :)

mik_da_man wrote: »
    As an FYI in the Lightstrip from Amazon.es, I Just got an e-mail to say they will be delivered on the 14th Dec :)

Yep same. Thought it was a cancellation email as I hurredly copied it into google translate.

€62 for the lightstrip and a dimmer switch delivered so Im happy enough.

Yep same. Thought it was a cancellation email as I hurredly copied it into google translate.

€62 for the lightstrip and a dimmer switch delivered so Im happy enough.

Yeah - Same as me
    €200 for the e27 starter kit and lightstrip
    It's gonna be a colourful Christmas :p

So despite grouping the dimmer and lightstrip together to keep the carriage cost down(€8) Amazon.es have dispatched my dimmer switch on its own with the lightstrip to follow.

They seem to have spread the carriage cost between the two as it's only €3 on the dimmer. Delighted as I'd expected to wait for the lightstrip to be back in stock and have the two of them sent together as ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

e27 color 29.99 on uk amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Are light strips just good for kitchen or are they ok for bedrooms, night time reading /afraid of the dark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Are light strips just good for kitchen or are they ok for bedrooms, night time reading /afraid of the dark

They're more for hidden lighting. I have them them stuck behind some wooden beams in the bar and they light up the walls at either end.
    For a bedroom maybe running along the side of a dresser or along the top of the wardrobe so they are throwing light on a wall or ceiling.
    I wouldn't have them as a naked light like a bulb.
    A Go might suit better if you can't hide the strip.

How do other people add a Go to the Hue app?

I've created a room of type other and called it Go. Then added the Go as the only light in that room.
    Any other cleverer ways to add one?

Roen wrote:
    How do other people add a Go to the Hue app?

What did you mean? What are you cling the room after the Lamp? Why not just add it to the room it's in? Is it because it's portable?

Stoner wrote: »
    What did you mean? What are you cling the room after the Lamp? Why not just add it to the room it's in? Is it because it's portable?

Yes exactly. It wanders about. So if I add it to a room and then switch that room on via sensor or app it can switch on where it's not needed.

It's designed to be portable after all, but the app forces you to assign a light to a room.

Yeah the Go doesn't really fit in Hue's idea of rooms. This is why I preferred their old concept of groups, was a bit more flexible. You can just create fake rooms to recreate the group concept.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just use the original app and set up some scenes for the Go, I have my rooms set up in the newer app, but have still left some lights out of the ' hue room' in that particular room. example: my living room has 2 lamps with colour hue bulbs in them, my centre light in the same room has a hue white ambiance bulb in it,
    I'd rarely use the centre light in any room, especially a room with lamps in it already, so the last thing I'd want is my daily routine of the lamps coming on in the afternoon, with the centre light coming on as well with them, so the centre light is set up in it's own room, so I can control it independently from the 2 lamps in the same room.

it means i have more rooms in the app set up, but it means I can have separate control of various lights in the same room, just a pity hue won't let you have a single light in more than 1 room.

AndyBoBandy I do exactly the same.

I've the 4 GU10 ceiling lights in my living room, set in one room, so they can all be controlled as one.

But then I also have a lamp and Iris (behind the TV) physically in the same room, but I leave them out of the "room" in the app. It isn't perfect, but works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Just use the original app and set up some scenes for the Go, I have my rooms set up in the newer app, but have still left some lights out of the ' hue room' in that particular room. example: my living room has 2 lamps with colour hue bulbs in them, my centre light in the same room has a hue white ambiance bulb in it,
    I'd rarely use the centre light in any room, especially a room with lamps in it already, so the last thing I'd want is my daily routine of the lamps coming on in the afternoon, with the centre light coming on as well with them, so the centre light is set up in it's own room, so I can control it independently from the 2 lamps in the same room.

it means i have more rooms in the app set up, but it means I can have separate control of various lights in the same room, just a pity hue won't let you have a single light in more than 1 room.

To me that sounds like a good case for having the centre on a hue switch, no? I'm not suggesting you do this, I am thinking about my own setup and wondering if that would be a good use of one of the switches I have on order.

Advertisement