Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italy : ma che cazzo hai fatto ?

Options
  • 04-12-2016 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭

Italy votes against economic reform. Follows the Brexit/Trump tendency for populist protest voting - whether it is good for them or not. Italians have spurned a splendid opportunity, by a truly reforming prime minister, to overhaul a non fit for purpose political structure.
    And plunge Italy, and Europe, into further turmoil.
    Serious problems ahead now for Italy. Bailouts, rescue packages, bankrupt banks.
    Talk about turkeys voting for Christmas. Even the turkeys wouldnt have been this stupid.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Will our chippers stay open ?

The world is changing, the peasants are revolting and the elites look on worryingly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭hannible the cannible

Yes that's the spirit ,keep telling the people how fcuking stupid they are , it's worked a treat so far

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Yes that's the spirit ,keep telling the people how fcuking stupid they are , it's worked a treat so far

If the cap fits...

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    If the cap fits...

A one size fits all kind of cap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The truth can no longer be sugar coated, and the reality must be faced. It is time for them to face up to the mistakes that they are making with such madcap voting. They have to learn that this petulant voting incompetence, where, given a say in democracy, and a vote in a referendum, they then dont in fact vote on the issue being put to them, but decide they will protest vote, fall to the lies of ignorant crowd pleasers, or, 'send a message' to the government.
    If you cannot vote responsibly, you do not deserve to have a vote, or deserve the troubles such self indulgent voting will bring.
    Time to call a spade a spade on this nonsense. It may be unpleasant, but in the longer term, its for their own good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Yea, let's have dictatorships all round. sure it's the only way to go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭The Wolverine

No please let them keep doing it, I want to see what the faces of the sneering elite look like compared to the sneering French aristocrats when the normal man affected by their actions turned on 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

At least Austria saw sense

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The truth can no longer be sugar coated, and the reality must be faced. It is time for them to face up to the mistakes that they are making with such madcap voting. They have to learn that this petulant voting incompetence, where, given a say in democracy, and a vote in a referendum, they then dont in fact vote on the issue being put to them, but decide they will protest vote, fall to the lies of ignorant crowd pleasers, or, 'send a message' to the government.
    If you cannot vote responsibly, you do not deserve to have a vote, or deserve the troubles such self indulgent voting will bring.
    Time to call a spade a spade on this nonsense. It may be unpleasant, but in the longer term, its for their own good.

Wow , so much dictatorship qualities in one post

• Advertisement

Quick find a few Italian elites to say it was an advisory referendum only and not binding :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

It's been a mistake allowing proletarians to vote tbh

Said the elite...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

What is wrong with a dictatorship?

Sure our own Michael D was giving a glowing praise of Fidel Castro last week...

I think he is deluded.

Time to dissolve the people and elect another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

This only becomes a potential flashpoint if Renzi does what he claimed he would do, if defeated, and resigns. I suspect there'll be a lot of pressure from Brussels and Berlin for him to suck it up and tough it out for at least a few months.

This only becomes a potential flashpoint if Renzai does what he claimed he would do, if defeated, and resigns. I suspect there'll be a lot of pressure from Brussels and Berlin for him to suck it up and tough it out for at least a few months.
    Churchill once said, "if you're going through hell, keep going!"

This only becomes a potential flashpoint if Renzai does what he claimed he would do, if defeated, and resigns. I suspect there'll be a lot of pressure from Brussels and Berlin for him to suck it up and tough it out for at least a few months.

I'd be surprised if he does, you usually have a hard time pulling a pigs snout out of the trough when there's still something in it for them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Matteo Renzi will be told, it is close to Christmas, we wants our holidays, hold on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

It's been a mistake allowing proletarians to vote tbh

Its well intentioned, but the chickens are coming home to roost now alright.
    Things will get worse before people realise the error of their ways and change.
    It would seem we are overoptimistic about the voting capabilities of the common man. As a principal though, I wouldnt give up on it just yet. Education, communication, public information campaigns on the responsibilities of suffrage, and so on, could help the situation. Something is urgently needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The vote was a about senate reform (sounds familiar?). Nobody forced Renzzi to make it about himself. Besides considering how Italy had certain Benito in power for quite a while and how it is country of different regions it is understanding that they are also reluctant to give more power to centralized government. Votes about very technical but significant changes of political system are hard to get through anywhere even if the old system is not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Its like Everton's equaliser.
    Austria 1 Italy 1.

Its well intentioned, but the chickens are coming home to roost now alright.
    Things will get worse before people realise the error of their ways and change.
    It would seem we are overoptimistic about the voting capabilities of the common man.

There will be a golf club led revolution to end the common man's tyranny. I have no doubts of its success.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

When you make it so bad, that turkeys are delighted to vote for Christmas, then things are really bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

The EU is doomed. I think the EU should slowly wind it down slowly and allow these countries to be independent sovreign nations once again. The people will take it either democratically via elections or by the bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Merkel going next year will be the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It would seem we are overoptimistic about the voting capabilities of the common man. As a principal though, I wouldnt give up on it just yet. Education, communication, public information campaigns on the responsibilities of suffrage, and so on, could help the situation. Something is urgently needed.

Maybe reeducation camps would do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

It seems to me that opinion was divided evenly among political parties, trade unions and media, with a mixture of right and left on both platforms. The referendum looks like a mass of poorly planned and thought out proposals, and the attempt to centralise power, while very much along approved EU lines, would rightly have worried many.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

twill wrote: »
    It seems to me that opinion was divided evenly among political parties, trade unions and media, with a mixture of right and left on both platforms. The referendum looks like a mass of poorly planned and thought out proposals, and the attempt to centralise power, while very much along approved EU lines, would rightly have worried many.

Oh sush with sensible comments. It was the vote on end of EU and a wet dream of every Farage cheer leader coming through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Never hold a referendum if you don't know the result.

Advertisement