Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Coding" in schools...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

DredFX wrote: »
    GLaDOS wrote: »
    Surely having the chance to get their head around it in school is preferable to signing up to a college course and then realising it's not for you?

This.

Studied software design for three years, entered the workplace for mandatory work experience, only to realise that I hated it. Went through the fourth year. Regretted every second of it.

Now, I'm stuck with a degree I don't want and job opportunities I despise. I have to spend the next two or three years working until I can accrue enough money to head back to college and do something I like.
    You do realise that you can do something you like without heading back to college for another degree, don't you? Most jobs don't need a specialized degree, and most good places will hire a good candidate that has any degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

You do realise that you can do something you like without heading back to college for another degree, don't you?

That depends on what I like, and what I like right now won't accept graduates from anything more than coughing distance from the relevant curricula.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You do realise that you can do something you like without heading back to college for another degree, don't you? Most jobs don't need a specialized degree, and most good places will hire a good candidate that has any degree.

One of the best programmers I ever met was a youngfella I hired here a good few years back. He has an MA in English Language & Literature from Oxford. The interview was good craic:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,257 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This post had been deleted.

Primary yes, not nessecailry secondary and certinaly not leaving cert. The required Maths and English for eveyday life should be well sorted by the time a student is 14/15. Leaving Cert English/Maths is far from essential: plenty of people don;t know mch about complex geometry or Shakespeare yet still manage to function.
    Permabear wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Some yes, some no. Why should economics and politics be seen as parents responsibilty but English and maths not?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

It is about time . The UK overhauled their IT curriculum a couple of years ago( every school ,in UK can get a Rasberry Pi or BBC MIcor Bit fro free) . Before the were tech kids how to use MS Office , that great, but if you what to become a leader in IT , then need to teach kids to code, but need to teach it correctly .

I'm a mentor in a Coder Dojo, and one our kids did 4th-year last year his PE teacher was given a crash course in Python over the summer , spent 4 weeks explain how to "print hello world".

Coding is the nearest thing we have to real magic , therefore become a coder and you become a Wizard !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I'm fine with it as an optional subject only, although it's a pile of sh**e in my opinion.

I'm fine with it as an optional subject only, although it's a pile of sh**e in my opinion.

"There's no convincing some people that the lonely life of the coder is not for everyone. You need a very specific type of mild mental disorder, and an arseload of patience." - my brother, Archibald Increase St. Rufus Goose.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Executing a program in Eclipse.

Cathartic.
    FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Radiosonde wrote: »
    I know quite a few teachers who would struggle to distinguish between igneous and sedimentary rock; is that an argument against teaching geography in schools?

It would be a strong agument against them being geography teachers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Kadser

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If it gets implemented it would probably be the most useful, worthwhile subject in the entire curriculum. Best idea they've had in ages.
    Ireland's full of badly-done good ideas. Doubt our feminised education will be able to teach kids computer science. They'll be leaving school with about much software development skills as speaking Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I was taught Cobol in secondary in the 80s, so nothing new there. Many primary schools already teach Scratch. One of my 3rd class children was working on it today between 2.15 and 3. I do think schools need more hardware though and a reliable broadband connection- one that doesn't keep dropping every 10 minutes as ours did today.

I do think Bruton is inclined to jump on whatever he thinks is topical/popular , though,rather than actually in terms of long term planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jimgoose wrote: »
    The latest stroke of genius from our Imperious Leaders appears to be teaching Computer Science for the Leaving Cert:

http://www.thejournal.ie/coding-irish-curriculum-3099021-Nov2016/

I think, rather than jumping on this latest "cool" bandwagon, diverting yet more attention and resources from the teaching of proper core knowledge and in the process giving teachers even more to complain about, it would be rather more in their line to try to reform the current ridiculous exam-passing machine approach to secondary education, and maybe add a US-style driver's education module to try to prevent youngsters from killing themselves be the dozen. I also resent the notion of our school curricula being influenced, even in small part, by some Segway-riding Californian twit who's just invented YASPL*.

What say ye?

* Yet Another Stupid Programming Language

Yeah best sticking to core stuff like religion and Irish

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Kadser wrote: »
    Ireland's full of badly-done good ideas. Doubt our feminised education will be able to teach kids computer science. They'll be leaving school with about much software development skills as speaking Irish.
    ??? Are you saying women can't teach computer science?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Really? You think your post just got here by magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Good idea as an optional subject on the same lines for business, practical tech courses, set, music etc.

But you will not attract people from the private sector on large salaries to do a two year year course of training followed by a wage cut.

Needs to start basic, Scratch, Python, etc. Then update curriculum as population becomes more familiar with coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

As a software engineer for the last 20 years, I think it's a great idea, but it has the potential to go horribly wrong if it's not implemented in the right way. I've been doing some little sessions with transition year students over the last few years who have come in for 'work experience'. They typically have little or no knowledge of coding, some have a little bit but nothing close to being proficient in any language. Thats fine.

What you have do to is show them the relevance of coding and how it can be useful in their daily life. I don't start them off doing meaningless programs which only live inside the machine - I get them working with stuff like arduino, raspberry pi, esp8266 stuff, which can be used to produce a physical result, like turning on a light, or a motor or whatever. They can see the result of their work, they can tweak it in small iterations and have stuff like a PIR sensor sensing when they approach, taking a photo using the raspberry pi camera and emailing it to their email address - you dress it up as saying you could use this to make sure your brother or sister don't come into your room and steal whatever - make it something they can relate to. Every one of them to date have found it interesting, and were well able to figure out how to make improvements and modifications to the code to make it better.

Once they have discovered what it is that their code can be used for, then it's time to look at becoming more deeply immersed in coding as a discipline, delving deep into the underlying theory of mutexes, semaphores, threads, classes etc - but without the ability to understand why this might be useful, it is hard to sell it as something worth learning.

These days the amount of stuff like adafruit, arduino, raspberry pi, sensors of all sorts which is available is incredible, and I think it's this sort of stuff which should be utilized first and foremost, rather than sitting there printing hello world, or goodbye earth, or making another bank account application.

The flip side is that I do not believe that everyone has the capability to become a professional programmer. In the same way that not everyone can become an artist, or a sculptor, or a fashion designer or an author etc. Yes everyone can hold a pencil or a paintbrush but few can master it sufficiently to make a living. Same with coding, there's definitely a mindset that I don't believe can be taught if it's not there. But without exposing the kids to it, they'll never know if they'd be good at it.

And I honestly don't know who's going to be able to teach the kids how to code, since you can't teach something you don't yourself understand. Perhaps the most sensible approach would be for a group of schools in an area to come together and between them employ someone with the skills to rotate between schools on a rota or daily basis or something, someone perhaps who is involved in stuff like coder dojo, who can make it interesting enough for the kids to get excited about it, interested in it and see where it goes from there.

TLDR; a great idea if done correctly, which I hope it will be, but won't be easy to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It should be implemented for the Junior cycle as well

lawred2 wrote: »
    Yeah best sticking to core stuff like religion and Irish

Best sticking to core stuff like Mathematics, English, History and Physics. Thanks for your input. Your call is important to us.

branie2 wrote: »
    It should be implemented for the Junior cycle as well

Why bother with juniors? They'd just try and make Five Nights at Freddy's rip-offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I would be the first to call out the clowns in power but by far this is the best idea tney've had in a very long time. This will give more reason for big cimpanies to come here for the talent pool and will encourage entreneurial spirit amoungst the younger generation

• Advertisement

Specialun wrote: »
    This will give more reason for big chimpanies to come here

Ah, good.

More simians the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Surely any attempt to rectify this should be welcomed though?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Surely any attempt to rectify this should be welcomed though?

completely agree, corporate tax rates should be much higher than they are. easier said than done though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    completely agree, corporate tax rates should be much higher than they are. easier said than done though

I was referring to the coding in schools idea. Raising corporation tax is an absurdly daft idea considering both the UK and the US will likely be doing the opposite very soon.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Think we should focus on making companies pay the tax first.

I was referring to the coding in schools idea. Raising corporation tax is an absurdly daft idea considering both the UK and the US will likely be doing the opposite very soon.

course it is:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

We over complicate things. It should be made a module of the maths curriculum. All the skill set for good development can be learned in pure mathematics anyway.

maths = maths + programming

Think we should focus on making companies pay the tax first.

according to cormac lucey, closing the double irish has been very successful in doing this but i do agree with you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Advertisement