Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This is actually a fallacy - people are generally being attacked less now than in times gone by, you just hear about it more than you did because of social media etc.
    That being said it was a very nasty assault and I hope whoever done it gets what they deserve..

This is a fallacy.

I don't know what age you are but I grew up in the 1960s and I assure you that violent attacks were an awful lot less common then. I remember when a Scottish visitor was stabbed in Bray and the country talked of little else for the year. I get my news from the radio and occasionally newspapers so it's not that I'm influenced by social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

psinno wrote: »
    I'd say men get attacked a little more often than sometimes.

It doesn't really matter anyway. In the unlikely event they work out who it was and the unlikely event they are convicted they will probably be sentenced to a big long hug because they have had a tough life or something like that.

Seems to be the way alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

pilly wrote: »
    I can't understand people saying this is happening every day of the week? If someone can show me reports showing that a young girl is randomly attacked every day then I'll believe it. Until then I don't believe it.

May not have been random (not that it would be defensible in any context). Newspaper says "motive is unclear".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

xzanti wrote: »
    I find it deeply disturbing. I had nightmares last night after hearing about her injuries.

And, yes, I know it happens all the time here, but it doesn't take away from how horrible it was.

It's not a million miles from where I live tbh. I'm in Naas.

I think what strikes me is that she wasn't raped (afaik) and they didn't rob any of her belongings. So what was the motive?

If I were to make an assumption, I would say some girls followed her off the bus and did this to her. For whatever reason, I don't know. That's just my uneducated guess.

I really wish the girl a speedy recovery and I hope she gets plenty of after care and support. She's going to need it.

I highly doubt the highlighted piece. She is from just up the road from me and I know some people who would go on that bus and really don't think this would be the case. Most of these kids leaving our small towns going to college are not the type of thugs who would do this.

When I first heard the story, of course, I thought of the 2 girls I know who are first years in Maynooth from the same town as the victim. Was only a little relieved when I heard it wasn't either of them but one of their school mates so it's not much easier to swallow.

My son goes on a similar bus to UCD on a Sunday evening, would know half of the bus that this girl was on and even though he is in a different college, he was saying that the effects are being felt there. There is a sense of shock and anger that one of their peers could be so brutally attacked.

While I don't expect it to be headline news, I do agree with the OP that it should be a little more highlighted. No young girl and let's face it, she is only little more than a child, moved away from home such a short while, should have to face this.

I worry now that whatever future career she had in mind will be difficult to follow, I know if I was in her situation I would find it impossible to go back to college in Maynooth and even the subjects might now be tainted by the thoughts of what happened.

After her broken eye sockets, nose and cheekbones heal there will still be an awful lot of psychological damage to repair. Poor girl has a long hard road ahead.

Totally shocked and disgusted by this attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The mainstream media are already moving on to other things and the incident will soon disappear into the archives.

Of course it is. As awful as the incident is, most people have no interest in the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dear God, I don't expect it to hold public interest unless it is relentlessly pursued by our lazy media. The world is bombarded by bad news every day and the media moves on to the next atrocity or Kardashian story which just isn't good enough.

What are the media supposed to talk about other than what happened? Its not like its a developing story?

OP assaults like this happen daily throughout Ireland,.............

It's not an everyday event where an 18 year old gets assaulted randomly while walking to their accommodation on a Sunday evening.

No doubt there are scobes beating up scobes every day but assaults "like this" don't happen daily throughout Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

lertsnim wrote: »
    Of course it is. As awful as the incident is, most people have no interest in the story.

Why on earth would you think that most people have no interest in the story? Anybody I speak to - and that's plenty of people - are totally disgusted by the gradual breakdown in law and order across the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Augeo wrote: »
    It's not an everyday event where an 18 year old gets assaulted randomly while walking to their accommodation on a Sunday evening.

No doubt there are scobes beating up scobes every day but assaults "like this" don't happen daily throughout Ireland.

This is what I can't understand here. People accepting this is an everyday occurrence is nuts! And only goes to show how desensitised we've become. I agree there's no way this is happening randomly every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Could this be classed as something more severe than an assault? An assault to me would probably be a slap or two but this woman seems to have been severely beaten and her injuries are extremely serious. Would attempted murder be stretching it?

sonic85 wrote: »
    Could this be classed as something more severe than an assault? An assault to me would probably be a slap or two but this woman seems to have been severely beaten and her injuries are extremely serious. Would attempted murder be stretching it?

I agree. I think there are certain degrees of assault that someone can be charged with also isn't there. This would be an aggravated assault at the very least.

Lets just hope that whatever judge these scum come up against will throw the book at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

fizzypish wrote: »
    While I don't disagree with you I do think its note worthy. A piece of **** jumps someone is bad. A piece of **** jumps a woman is a little worse in my opinion. Probably gonna get lambasted for this but anyway..... A lot of men (not all of course) through hobbies or just horsing around tend to be able to take a slap. Women tend not to interact like this and less play contact sports and such (not all of course, a lot of women would take a hit better than I ever could). I remember the first time I took a slap in a violent situation. I honestly effected me for a little while in my life. If I had the opportunity to take a slap for someone (not just a woman) to save them that pain (mental, physical pain passes) I'd do it. Anyway I have meandered wildly off topic, probably sound like a neanderthal but my point is if 100 men and 100 women encountered this ****ty situation, I think it would leave a lasting effect on more of the women than the men.

That's sexist tripe. I have male friends who got assaulted like that come out with lasting problems.

wakka12 wrote: »
    What are the media supposed to talk about other than what happened? Its not like its a developing story?

How about getting the Minister for Justice on to the radio to explain what's happening and keep on her case over it. Ditto the Garda Commissioner if she has any time to spare away form sending gmails. Examples need to be made and these scumbags should be hunted down and then sent down for a long, long time.

How about putting Crimecall http://www.rte.ie/tv/crimecall/about.html on 52 weeks of the year instead of treating it like some sort of soap that just runs for a season? How about really cracking down on all sorts of lawlessness - mobile phone use while driving, drink driving, uninsured driving, drug dealing, drug importation, diesel laundering......there's plenty of work out there for the Minister, Commissioner and Gardai - not to mention the useless media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Why on earth would you think that most people have no interest in the story? Anybody I speak to - and that's plenty of people - are totally disgusted by the gradual breakdown in law and order across the country.

And yet you would like them hung from a tree :rolleyes: That be great for law and order.

wakka12 wrote: »

I guarantee you if it was Gay Byrne or Joe Duffy that was attacked in this way it would be in the media for weeks maybe months. Why shouldn't this girl and her story be kept in the media, if nothing else it will put pressure on the Garda and courts to make sure these scum are prosecuted fully.

This is a fallacy.

I don't know what age you are but I grew up in the 1960s and I assure you that violent attacks were an awful lot less common then. I remember when a Scottish visitor was stabbed in Bray and the country talked of little else for the year. I get my news from the radio and occasionally newspapers so it's not that I'm influenced by social media.

I'm 42, I grew up in the 70's and 80's. Where I grew up (I still live in the same general area) there were regular huge gang fights, I remember one in particular must have involved about 50 or 60 people most armed with bars or batons of some sort, scared the bejaysus out of me (I'd say I was about 13 or 14 at the time) There where robbed cars rallied and burned out practically every night. For about a year or so things got so bad that there where vigilantes patrolling the streets at night - they were actually worse than the gangs. It was like living in Aleppo!
    I can't speak for the 60's but things are certainly much better now than they were 20 years ago.

And yet you would like them hung from a tree :rolleyes: That be great for law and order.

It would actually, no harm in removing the scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Now you are comparing what I said to something different. The "gradual breakdown in law and order" is of course something that is important to everyone and should be discussed as a whole. This does not mean that an assault should stay as a main news item.

mikhail wrote: »

Seems like I was taking my own localised experience and expanding it to the country at large.
    There's no arguing with cold statistics, I stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No way does things like this happen daily weekly or even monthly. This is a particularly shocking attack and frightening for someone who's daughter is considering going to maynooth in a few years to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

steddyeddy wrote: »
    That's sexist tripe. I have male friends who got assaulted like that come out with lasting problems.

I have had lasting problems from it myself but I do think that men to women, A higher % of guys can shrug off the mental issues (I'd not in that % so I do see your point). Physically, a broke bone or a concussion is the same regardless. People can't walk that off. I'm derailing the thread a tad so to reiterate back to the OP, I do think a vicious assault on a woman, child or elderly person hits a vein. I'm not saying that a guy can just walk it off, that would be sexist but to me, this particular case does ring a bit rougher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Seems like a particularly brutal assault so not sure it's fair to say it happens every week. That said I've seen it reported a few times, as well as another thread here in the Kildare forum, so I'm not sure what the OP wants.

Maybe it's just playing on his mind, trying to get his head around it.

I know I am - the injuries described are serious and especially psychologically difficult for a female in the long term. ( but that's not to say there aren't more pressing concerns in the short term)

I do see a distinction between this kind of thing happening as part of a drug fuelled/motivated mugging, or a random assault outside a chipper by somebody intoxicated one way or another. Yeah, it doesn't change things for this individual - but for anyone to say "yeah, 8.30pm on Sunday night in a quiet residential estate, laptop etc not taken, meh sounds pretty standard"? That's just a bit weird to me.

The natural inclination for most people (I'm guessing here tbh) is to have these things squared away nicely.
    Perpetrator gets caught and put away, or failing that some way to explain away why it wouldn't happen to you or anyone you know. "ah sure that spot is always dodgy at kicking out time", "theres always dodgy looking types down that lane way etc".

I don't think any of the standard "wouldn't happen to me" things are here (yet) for people here except statistics which have never really triumphed over people's feelings, have they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Jayop wrote: »
    No way does things like this happen daily weekly or even monthly. This is a particularly shocking attack and frightening for someone who's daughter is considering going to maynooth in a few years to college.

Yeah, so is mine. Maynooth is a good university town. I lived there for eight years, before I had kids and spent a lot of time on the p1ss there with no hassle at all. I have two nieces currently in Maynooth. Don't let this put you off. It is a random attack and I doubt you will hear of similar in Maynooth in the next 20 years.

I can't believe there hasn't been a thread on this or have I missed it? The mainstream media are already moving on to other things and the incident will soon disappear into the archives.

I would have almost no concern with how the media responds to it to be honest. My concern would solely be how the Police force responds to it whether it appears in the media at all or not.

I know one of my girlfriends was also attacked in maynooth some years ago with an intention that was most likely sexual and only left the assailant rolling around in agony because she - unbeknownst to him - had adequate combat training. The gardai did little when she discussed it with them - because there is little they can do.

No CCTV - due to relative darkness no real description of the assailant. What would you _have_ them do? Even if the entire gardai force through their entire annual resource allocation at the issue - they would still likely come up empty handed. What would you have them do differently? Short of campaigning for CCTV on every corner?
    The Gardai should throw everything they have at it and I mean everything.

Yea because in Ireland we only have one crime a year? The Gardai have nothing else to do and they can throw "everything - I mean everything" at one single crime?

Alas back out here in reality the resources the Gardai have are limited and ever more limited. Crimes are ever more sophisticated. And criminals get ever better at what they do and how they get away with it.

So what the Gardai managed to divert to deal with this single case is going to be necessarily limited. That simply is our reality - whether it is the ideal or not.

If you are genuinely concerned with how much resources they have to devote to a case like this - then you can and should lobby actively for more resources to be allocated to our police force. Or you can lobby to have ineffectual or useless laws changed to save Gardai diverting resources to ineffectual ends.

The war on drugs springs to mind as an often expensive - and often pointless excercise. Many drugs being made legal would combat crime - become a tax revenue stream - save gardai resources - and undermine the criminal elements financed by them.

Or CCTV coverage with a higher proliferation?

It is easy to moan the media and gardai do not do enough or "give up on civilisation?" It is - alas - a lot harder to actually come up with positive comments on what they _should_ be doing better or different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I do think that men to women, A higher % of guys can shrug off the mental issues (I'd not in that % so I do see your point). Physically, a broke bone or a concussion is the same regardless. People can't walk that off. I'm derailing the thread a tad so to reiterate back to the OP, I do think a vicious assault on a woman, child or elderly person hits a vein.

Did you ever think of asking yourself why it hits a vein more with you than were the victim male. Wouldn't have anything to do with conditioning now would it?

Call me crazy but I have the same amount of empathy for the victim of the following recent assault (for example) as I would have had were they female.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/man-left-scarred-after-savagely-12030762

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Advbrd wrote: »
    It is a random attack and I doubt you will hear of similar in Maynooth in the next 20 years.

IF it's random and unprovoked*, there is something seriously wrong with somebody who gets their kicks doing that much damage to somebody. They are not going to just take up knitting as the evenings draw in. Maybe it won't be maynooth, but somewhere nearby but someone capable of this will do it again if not caught.

*Be hard to think of what could prompt such a brutal assault, but I think people naturally search for some trigger for these type of things

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I have had lasting problems from it myself but I do think that men to women, A higher % of guys can shrug off the mental issues (I'd not in that % so I do see your point). Physically, a broke bone or a concussion is the same regardless. People can't walk that off. I'm derailing the thread a tad so to reiterate back to the OP, I do think a vicious assault on a woman, child or elderly person hits a vein. I'm not saying that a guy can just walk it off, that would be sexist but to me, this particular case does ring a bit rougher.

Definitely does. I think the majority who are dismissing it are the 'well they wanted equality' brigade.

Shocking to hear tbh, went to Maynooth myself and always felt safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Did you ever think of asking yourself why it hits a vein more with you than were the victim male. Wouldn't have anything to do with conditioning now would it?

Call me crazy but I have the same amount of empathy for the victim of the following recent assault (for example) as I would have had were they female.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/man-left-scarred-after-savagely-12030762

Can't argue with that. In my head its still women and children in the life boats first. I do have empathy for this case above but you are right, there's more so for the original case. I'm not saying I'm right, its just the way I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

pilly wrote: »
    It would actually, no harm in removing the scum.

And that would do what for law and order ? as I was answering Op who says law n order is falling down and then wants to hang folks from trees.

Do you really think that would solve it ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement