Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female student beaten up in Maynooth(NO SPECULATION)

Options
  • 22-11-2016 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/additional-garda-resources-urged-in-wake-of-maynooth-assault-1.2876431

I can't believe there hasn't been a thread on this or have I missed it? The mainstream media are already moving on to other things and the incident will soon disappear into the archives.

This should be front page stuff on newspapers, TV and radio until the thugs involved are arrested and brought before the courts. The Gardai should throw everything they have at it and I mean everything. Anybody else think that this sort of incident no longer gets the response that it needs or should we just give up on civilisation? :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Something similar happened in athlone a few years ago. Girl walking back to her house after a night out, scumbags broke a bottle and stabbed her in the face with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Don't see why her gender is relevant to the story. It would be horrific for it to happen to anyone, regardless of their gender.

It was discussed at length on the radio yesterday. Local councillors were all over the story promising changes. Changes that they promised years ago when they were elected.

There's not a lot else to discuss. It's in the hands of the Gardai now, and hopefully incidents like this don't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

It looks like a random attack too. I just don't understand why some people would want to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I know Maynooth very well and what's strange is that the estate it happened in is very quite, mostly full of young families who keep to themselves, it's a relatively new development.

However, it's also quite close (pretty much adjacent too) the Universitys student accommodation and many students living in that accommodation often have friends visit from home who are shall we say not so civilised.

Of course I'm speculating but there is a really rough estate in maynooth called Old Greenfield where you'd nearly expect this to happen, the Moyglare road area is really very peaceful, so it's deeply shocked a lot of residents and understandably the student community are now terrified as well as many many students would walk home alone on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

sullivlo wrote: »
    Don't see why her gender is relevant to the story. It would be horrific for it to happen to anyone, regardless of their gender.

It was discussed at length on the radio yesterday. Local councillors were all over the story promising changes. Changes that they promised years ago when they were elected.

There's not a lot else to discuss. It's in the hands of the Gardai now, and hopefully incidents like this don't happen again.

I think that gender is important as in times gone by attacking old people, women and children tended to be beyond the pale but not these days. What the hell have local councillors to do with it? The local Gardai...God help us, is that the extent of it? I suppose it will be on Crimecall in six months time .. where we you six months ago on such and such a date and did you see a silver coloured car acting suspiciously....That's why things are running out of control in this country and it's only going to get worse.

If I had the money that some of our high flyers have I would feel morally obliged to put up a large reward for information leading to a successful conviction in this case. As for hoping it won't happen again, give me patience - is there anything to be said for another mass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Are you saying it should be a bigger story because the victim was a woman? Because I don't see how you can expect a random violent assault to hold public interest or stay in the media for much longer than a day unless it happened to somebody famous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I think that gender is important as in times gone by attacking old people, women and children tended to be beyond the pale but not these days.
    Women have been assaulted for as long as there have been women. This is a golden age fallacy.

mikhail wrote: »
    Women have been assaulted for as long as there have been women. This is a golden age fallacy.

People in general are being attacked far more in recent years - that isn't a golden age fallacy. This sort of attack needs to cracked down on hard whatever it takes and the charge when brought to court should be attempted murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

OP assaults like this happen daily throughout Ireland, Without taking any compassion from the unfortunate victim ,Why are you so caught up on this particular one ? And without being funny if this is making you think of giving up on civilisation , Don't look at any of the news through out the day or ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Strange thread. You would probably have something similar happen up and down the country every week.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Are you saying it should be a bigger story because the victim was a woman? Because I don't see how you can expect a random violent assault to hold public interest or stay in the media for much longer than a day unless it happened to somebody famous

Dear God, I don't expect it to hold public interest unless it is relentlessly pursued by our lazy media. The world is bombarded by bad news every day and the media moves on to the next atrocity or Kardashian story which just isn't good enough.

Strange thread. You would probably have something similar happen up and down the country every week.

And that makes it okay? Just move on, nothing to see here. :confused:

OP assaults like this happen daily throughout Ireland, Without taking any compassion from the unfortunate victim ,Why are you so caught up on this particular one ? And without being funny if this is making you think of giving up on civilisation , Don't look at any of the news through out the day or ever.

I'm caught up by this one as it is the latest incident and is particularly brutal. Those involved should be hung from a tree. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities,

What excacly would you like to be done here ? That is not already being done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Really? I like to think that there isn't an 18 year old girl viciously attacked like this every week randomly. I don't believe that is the case at all.

And I agree with other posters that her gender does matter. I fully accept young men are attacked sometime too but they have a far higher chance of defending themselves than a female.

Also there used to be at least some honour amongst thugs that at least they wouldn't hit women, this seems all but gone and is another step down to a completely uncivilised society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What the hell have local councillors to do with it? The local Gardai...God help us, is that the extent of it?

What do you expect them to do? Get on the phone to Obama and ask him to send over the CIA?

Of course it's the Gardai dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

sullivlo wrote: »

While I don't disagree with you I do think its note worthy. A piece of **** jumps someone is bad. A piece of **** jumps a woman is a little worse in my opinion. Probably gonna get lambasted for this but anyway..... A lot of men (not all of course) through hobbies or just horsing around tend to be able to take a slap. Women tend not to interact like this and less play contact sports and such (not all of course, a lot of women would take a hit better than I ever could). I remember the first time I took a slap in a violent situation. I honestly effected me for a little while in my life. If I had the opportunity to take a slap for someone (not just a woman) to save them that pain (mental, physical pain passes) I'd do it. Anyway I have meandered wildly off topic, probably sound like a neanderthal but my point is if 100 men and 100 women encountered this ****ty situation, I think it would leave a lasting effect on more of the women than the men.

I'm caught up by this one as it is the latest incident and is particularly brutal. Those involved should be hung from a tree. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities,

Why would it offend my sensibilities ? If that's what you want to do , of you go , I am sure there are quite a few down your neck of the words that can do with a tree hanging.

Did I say that? Maybe you should go through all the local papers and start a thread for the rest of them. It would keep you busy anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I find it deeply disturbing. I had nightmares last night after hearing about her injuries.

And, yes, I know it happens all the time here, but it doesn't take away from how horrible it was.

It's not a million miles from where I live tbh. I'm in Naas.

I think what strikes me is that she wasn't raped (afaik) and they didn't rob any of her belongings. So what was the motive?

If I were to make an assumption, I would say some girls followed her off the bus and did this to her. For whatever reason, I don't know. That's just my uneducated guess.

I really wish the girl a speedy recovery and I hope she gets plenty of after care and support. She's going to need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hopefully they might be able to sketch those involved. Name and shame and lock them away for good when found

fizzypish wrote: »
    While I don't disagree with you I do think its note worthy. A piece of **** jumps someone is bad. A piece of **** jumps a woman is a little worse in my opinion. Probably gonna get lambasted for this but anyway..... A lot of men (not all of course) through hobbies or just horsing around tend to be able to take a slap. Women tend not to interact like this and less play contact sports and such (not all of course, a lot of women would take a hit better than I ever could). I remember the first time I took a slap in a violent situation. I honestly effected me for a little while in my life. If I had the opportunity to take a slap for someone (not just a woman) to save them that pain (mental, physical pain passes) I'd do it. Anyway I have meandered wildly off topic, probably sound like a neanderthal but my point is if 100 men and 100 women encountered this ****ty situation, I think it would leave a lasting effect on more of the women than the men.

Totally agree. As a woman who is not sporty at all I have a been in a situation where someone has punched me and I have to say it was the biggest shock of my life. I know men feel it as well but your point is well made, if you're used to playing football etc. it may not be as big a shock.

pilly wrote: »
    Really? I like to think that there isn't an 18 year old girl viciously attacked like this every week randomly. I don't believe that is the case at all.

And I agree with other posters that her gender does matter. I fully accept young men are attacked sometime too but they have a far higher chance of defending themselves than a female.

Also there used to be at least some honour amongst thugs that at least they wouldn't hit women, this seems all but gone and is another step down to a completely uncivilised society.

I'm willing to bet that there's an 18 year old attacked randomly every day. I doubt it's all that uncommon that it's a female either.
    The country is crawling with scum that are too "precious" at a young age to be punished.

Did I say that? Maybe you should go through all the local papers and start a thread for the rest of them. It would keep you busy anyway.

I am quite busy enough thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

fizzypish wrote: »

in reality though there are probably 100 men who face this for every couple of women? and within that 100 there are bound to be a couple of deaths, stabbings, heads cracked of pavement corners....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

People in general are being attacked far more in recent years - that isn't a golden age fallacy. This sort of attack needs to cracked down on hard whatever it takes and the charge when brought to court should be attempted murder.

This is actually a fallacy - people are generally being attacked less now than in times gone by, you just hear about it more than you did because of social media etc.
    That being said it was a very nasty assault and I hope whoever done it gets what they deserve..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Seems like a particularly brutal assault so not sure it's fair to say it happens every week. That said I've seen it reported a few times, as well as another thread here in the Kildare forum, so I'm not sure what the OP wants.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I can't understand people saying this is happening every day of the week? If someone can show me reports showing that a young girl is randomly attacked every day then I'll believe it. Until then I don't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

pilly wrote: »
    I fully accept young men are attacked sometime too but they have a far higher chance of defending themselves than a female.

I'd say men get attacked a little more often than sometimes.

It doesn't really matter anyway. In the unlikely event they work out who it was and the unlikely event they are convicted they will probably be sentenced to a big long hug because they have had a tough life or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I'm willing to bet that there's an 18 year old attacked randomly every day. I doubt it's all that uncommon that it's a female either.
    The country is crawling with scum that are too "precious" at a young age to be punished.

Thankfully, I must be living a very sheltered life because in the area in which I circulate (which includes Maynooth and Dublin) I am not aware of these 18 year olds getting attacked at random on a daily basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement