Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media: EPC2425/3925 Modem/Router and Speed Issues - POST HERE ONLY

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Hi, I'm having problems loading up websites through my virgin modem. I had an engineer out yesterday, he changed the modem and everything was fine but now it's gone back to the problem where I try to load up a website it takes ages. When I'm in the website itself it works fine. It's driving me mad.

Anyone any ideas please?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boooourns wrote: »
    Hi, I'm having problems loading up websites through my virgin modem. I had an engineer out yesterday, he changed the modem and everything was fine but now it's gone back to the problem where I try to load up a website it takes ages. When I'm in the website itself it works fine. It's driving me mad.

Anyone any ideas please?

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Run this, post results.

ED E wrote: »

Thanks for that but just wondering if there's another way of doing that using a tablet? I'll have to borrow a laptop to do that one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anyone any ideas please?

Honestly- the wifi in the Virgin router is crap- and if you're in a built-up area where all your neighbours have wifi- a lot of the neighbourhood could be trying to use the same channels- which obviously causes interfence. It will be more pronounced at certain times of the day than at others (e.g. if you were at home in the afternoon and tested it- it might be fine- while it might slow down to a completely unusuable crawl by early/late evening).

There are apps you can download such as wifi analyser- which give you stats on all the networks encroaching on your property- so you can choose channels that are not in common with the neighbours- and then obviously you have to go into the default settings for the router and set the default channel priorities to reflect the conditions around you.

Alternatively- disable wifi on the router altogether- and buy your own router- you can pick up a secondhand A/C fairly cheaply these days- the additional 5Ghz band can make a massive difference in areas where you're swamped with neighbours networks (even if you only use as a 'n').

Honestly- the wifi in the Virgin router is crap- and if you're in a built-up area where all your neighbours have wifi- a lot of the neighbourhood could be trying to use the same channels- which obviously causes interfence. It will be more pronounced at certain times of the day than at others (e.g. if you were at home in the afternoon and tested it- it might be fine- while it might slow down to a completely unusuable crawl by early/late evening).

There are apps you can download such as wifi analyser- which give you stats on all the networks encroaching on your property- so you can choose channels that are not in common with the neighbours- and then obviously you have to go into the default settings for the router and set the default channel priorities to reflect the conditions around you.

Alternatively- disable wifi on the router altogether- and buy your own router- you can pick up a secondhand A/C fairly cheaply these days- the additional 5Ghz band can make a massive difference in areas where you're swamped with neighbours networks (even if you only use as a 'n').

The speed isn't the problem tbh it's just connecting to websites. Never had a problem before but in the last week, new modem hasn't helped. It's takes near a minute to connect to a website.

• Advertisement

The speed isn't the problem tbh it's just connecting to websites. Never had a problem before but in the last week, new modem hasn't helped. It's takes near a minute to connect to a website.

Restore last restore point- or 'last known good configuration'.
    If this doesn't work- get proper anti-virus software and scan the living hell out of it. Sounds like you've something happening on the laptop/tablet.

Get a fresh tablet/laptop/phone (friend/family member etc) and check that its the tablet/laptop- and not the connection itself...........

Screams issue with the laptop/tablet to me- if its only after manifesting recently- it could be something you've installed, something nefarious- or indeed, a setting or hardware issue (a neighbour did something similar to this by somehow setting their pagefile in Windows to nada- not entirely sure how- and anything using system resources sapped the living hell out of it........)

If you have a family member or friend who is happy to do a little troubleshooting with you- you may find the source of the issue- is not the router at all..........

Restore last restore point- or 'last known good configuration'.
    If this doesn't work- get proper anti-virus software and scan the living hell out of it. Sounds like you've something happening on the laptop/tablet.

Get a fresh tablet/laptop/phone (friend/family member etc) and check that its the tablet/laptop- and not the connection itself...........

Screams issue with the laptop/tablet to me- if its only after manifesting recently- it could be something you've installed, something nefarious- or indeed, a setting or hardware issue (a neighbour did something similar to this by somehow setting their pagefile in Windows to nada- not entirely sure how- and anything using system resources sapped the living hell out of it........)

If you have a family member or friend who is happy to do a little troubleshooting with you- you may find the source of the issue- is not the router at all..........

It's the same issue with tablet and 2 phones in the house. My phone works perfect on wifi in work but that issue happens at home.

It's the same issue with tablet and 2 phones in the house. My phone works perfect on wifi in work but that issue happens at home.

Ok- if you've ruled out an issue with the device itself- next step- is beg/borrow/steel a laptop with an ethernet port- and run speedtest on the output from the modem.

If the output on a wired connection is as expected- do what the rest of us are doing- and buy your own wifi router (something with a 5Ghz band). Make sure you don't set it up as USA (this knocks off 2 channels that might be used to minimise local cross-channel interference).

If you'd like to experiment a bit- google 'wifi-beam forming' and get a router that supports it.

The wifi on the Virgin/NTL routers is atrocious- really- its the cheapest crap they can get out the door- and over 90% of all kit sent back to Virgin is tested as functioning fully (which is why so many replacement products are sent out unboxed).

You need to do more testing- but in all probability- you need your own router.

ED E wrote: »

Okay so finally got a laptop to do this, here are the results....

DNS Benchmark Conclusions & Recommendations

What the results you have just obtained mean to YOU

The results summary, conclusions, and recommendations from your most recent run of this DNS benchmark are provided below. Please carefully consider the implications of making any changes to your system's current configuration before doing so.

ý More than 20% of resolvers were unreliable?
    Such a high percentage is suspicious: As you may have noticed, a relatively large number of the resolvers (32) benchmarked (more than one in every five) had apparent reliability problems. Since this is a suspiciously high number, it is more likely that the local network was busy and congested while the benchmark was running. Since this will produce unreliable timing results, you should probably attempt to re-run the benchmark at a time when the local network is quiet. Until then, you should consider these timing results to be invalid.

ý Only the built-in default resolvers were benchmarked.
    Please consider taking the time to create a custom resolver list.
    This is a reminder about the tremendous benefits to be gained from benchmarking the "Top 50" resolvers that are found for you by the Benchmark's custom resolver list builder. When you have time, don't forget to give that a try. The results will astound you! You can find the option to do this on either the application's System Menu (Alt-Spacebar) or on the Add/Remove nameservers dialog on the Nameservers page.

þ System has multiple redundant nameservers configured.
    This system is currently configured to use 3 separate nameservers for DNS name resolution. This is in keeping with recommended best practice (of having at least two different nameservers) so that the temporary failure of any single nameserver will not prevent all DNS name resolution.

ý One or more of this system's 3 nameservers are dead!
    Although the whole point of having multiple redundant DNS resolving nameservers is to have a reliable source of DNS lookups, any nameservers that actually are dead and not replying to DNS queries can seriously hamper a system's performance as it waits for the dead nameserver to reply before trying to use its backup nameservers. Therefore, removing any persistently dead nameservers is always a good idea.

Recommended Actions:

The nameserver outage could be temporary, and dropping a nameserver that is only briefly misbehaving might be inadvisable. But you can use this benchmark to check to see how long this problem persists. If this nameserver deadness is chronic, you should definitely consider changing to nameservers that are more reliably operating.

If a local LAN router is among those providing DNS services to this network, it is possible that a reboot & restart of the router will resolve this outage. Sometimes just the DNS portion of a router dies while everything else continues to function normally.

þ System nameserver is faster than ALL public alternatives.
    The DNS resolver your system is using is responding faster than any of the 100% reliable publicly available alternative DNS nameservers this benchmark utility just tested. Therefore, there would be no performance benefit from switching to any of those publicly available nameservers. However, since you only have a single system nameserver configured, it might be useful to use some of the fastest public nameservers as backups if that's possible in your situation. Please also note that this best performance appraisal assumes that this system's nameserver is 100% reliable. See the next item below for an appraisal of your nameserver's reliability.

Note: If there appeared to be one or more faster public alternative nameservers, there was enough uncertainty created by the spread of benchmark timing results that it was not possible to be at least 95% confident that any of those faster seeming nameservers really were reliably faster than the nameserver this system is currently using. So it made no sense to alarm you about the need to change things when there was insufficient evidence.

ý One or more system nameservers is NOT 100% reliable!
    DNS reliability is extremely important, since lookup requests that are dropped and ignored by nameservers cause significant delays in Internet access while the querying system waits for a reply. The system is then finally forced to reissue the query to the same or to backup nameservers. While your system is patiently waiting for a reply, you are impatiently waiting to get on with your Internet access.

During this benchmark test, the nameserver being tested did not reply to some of the DNS queries it was sent.

So the question now is: Did the benchmark discover alternative nameservers having superior performance and reliability to which you could switch in order to obtain more performance and reliability?

Important Note:

Incorrect warnings of low reliability nameservers can arise if (1) DNS benchmarking is being performed while the local network is busy performing other work such as file downloading, or (2) the benchmark is running over a wireless (WiFi) link with low signal strength or high interference. Please try to minimize any other local network activity while the benchmark is running, and use a wired (not wireless) LAN connection if possible.

Recommended Actions:

Before you make any changes, you should probably run the benchmark a few more times at differing times of day to make sure that the troubling reliability is an ongoing problem and not just a brief occurrence.

You may also wish to consult the "Tabular Data" page which summarizes all benchmark results in numeric tables. The numbers make it easier to see exactly how unreliable your system's nameserver is compared with the available alternatives. (And also how the alternatives' performance compares.)

þ This system nameserver returns errors.
    This is a GOOD thing! Some DNS providers, such as OpenDNS and even the Earthlink, Roadrunner and Comcast ISPs, redirect incorrectly entered URLs to their own advertising-laden marketing-driven interception page instead of simply returning an error to the web browser. But this system's nameserver is returning errors when asked to lookup non-existent domain names.

þ System nameserver is replying to all query types.
    During the development of this DNS Benchmark we discovered that the routers used by some pre-release testers were not returning results for the benchmark's Uncached and/or Dotcom testing queries. Even though these queries are admittedly unusual, they are completely valid. So the only conclusion was that those few routers were inherently defective. The good news here is that your nameserver is replying to these unusual but valid queries.

REMEMBER TO CHECK SPOOFABILITY !!
    Whether you make any changes to your nameservers or not, but
    especially if you do, be sure to verify the security of your final DNS
    resolver set by using GRC's free "DNS Spoofability" testing service!

http://www.GRC.com/dns/dns.htm
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you require assistance . . .

If you require assistance with the implementation any of the suggested changes to your system's DNS configuration, several sources of help are available:

For help with the operation and use of this DNS Benchmark program, please reference the extensive DNS Benchmark pages at the GRC website:

http://www.GRC.com/dns/benchmark.htm

For help with any of the specific conclusions or recommendations above, please see the DNS Benchmark FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page:

http://www.GRC.com/dns/benchmark-faq.htm

Knowledge of the DNS domain name system is widespread among those in public technical Internet forums. You will very likely be able to obtain answers to any specific questions you may have by asking knowledgeable inhabitants of online communities.

GRC maintains and operates a comprehensive online "newsgroup" community and has a specific newsgroup - grc.dns - dedicated to the discussion of DNS issues including this DNS benchmark program (where it was developed) and GRC's online DNS Spoofability testing service. Please see the following web page for help with joining and participating in GRC's terrific newsgroups:

http://www.GRC.com/discussions.htm

GRC's technical support services are limited to the support of licensees of our commercial software products and do not extend to the support of our freely available software or online services. Please do not write to us (GRC / Gibson Research Corporation) for assistance in connection with this freeware utility.

You will find that ample help is freely available
    within the Internet community. Thank you!

- Steve Gibson

Please Note: This program is Copyright (c) 2010 by Gibson Research Corporation -- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This program is FREEWARE. Although it may not be altered in any way, it MAY BE FREELY COPIED AND DISTRIBUTED onto and through any and all computer media in ANY form or fashion. You are hereby granted the right to do so.
    • • •

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Did you test wired or wireless? I'd recommend wired to eliminate possible wifi interference.

• Advertisement

Okay so finally got a laptop to do this, here are the results....

DNS Benchmark Conclusions & Recommendations

Did you run speedtest with the laptop- like I suggested?
    I.e. www.speedtest.net
    Its what we all use to benchmark connection speeds..........

It looks like you've run a simple DNS server test- which doesn't really tell you an awful lot- and isn't entirely pertinent to your issue.

A speedtest.net score will look like this:

5668832098.png

Thats a Virgin Media/UPC/NTL (whatever you want to call them) score I've just ran a second ago on a laptop here- to give you an example.

For reference- thats on a 360Mb connection- it is however, over wifi (on a proper AC connection- from my own router- not the crap Virgin box)

Did you run speedtest with the laptop- like I suggested?
    I.e. www.speedtest.net
    Its what we all use to benchmark connection speeds..........

It looks like you've run a simple DNS server test- which doesn't really tell you an awful lot- and isn't entirely pertinent to your issue.

A speedtest.net score will look like this:

5668832098.png

Thats a Virgin Media/UPC/NTL (whatever you want to call them) score I've just ran a second ago on a laptop here- to give you an example.

For reference- thats on a 360Mb connection- it is however, over wifi (on a proper AC connection- from my own router- not the crap Virgin box)

Have my ethernet connected but its still running really slow. Results look pretty poor.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5669135593

Are you actually in Carlow?
    One of the options in Speedtest is to change the server you're running the tests on. If you don't use the server closest to you- you do get speed issues.

Also- what connection are you on? (E.g. I'm on a 360Mb connection- however, I rarely get above 250/260Mb). Are you on a lower package?

If you are in Carlow- and you're getting these type speeds- what sort of connection do you have- e.g. how far are you from the exchange, do you have fibre to the door etc etc?

If you're using a regular cable connection- and you're a distance from the exchange- speed does drop off rapidly. If you do have fibre to the door- and you're still getting this speed- your internal wiring may be fubarr..........

Its a game of elimination at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

If you are in Carlow- and you're getting these type speeds- what sort of connection do you have- e.g. how far are you from the exchange, do you have fibre to the door etc etc?

If you're using a regular cable connection- and you're a distance from the exchange- speed does drop off rapidly. If you do have fibre to the door- and you're still getting this speed- your internal wiring may be fubarr..........

Does Virgin Media provide exchange based internet (ADSL/VDSL)? As this is a EPC modem thread I'm assuming the poster is using coax (DOCSIS) based internet provision.

degsie wrote: »
    Does Virgin Media provide exchange based internet (ADSL/VDSL)? As this is a EPC modem thread I'm assuming the poster is using coax (DOCSIS) based internet provision.

No- Virgin uses a HFC (Fibre-to-the-Local/Node) FTTN system- where some locations have fibre from the local node to the door- and some are still on analogue copper connections (which obviously will degrade the speeds achievable rapidly depending on how long the stretch of copper is from the local node). In some limited cases- the local copper- can be bolloxed- something as simple as redoing the connection locally- can sometimes work wonders.

Edit:
    In Ireland- only limited urban runs of DOCSIS 3 are deployed thus far- far more normal is the standard EURODOCSIS system (though it is being upgraded/replaced as a work in progress). I'm not sure if Carlow has been upgraded to DOCSIS3 yet.

Of more interest in this context- is whether or not the OP has FTTP (Fibre to the premises)- or an analogue copper connection to the local node.

Turns out they had me on the wrong IP if that makes any sense? I was on IP4 but they never moved me over to IP6 when they should have. All sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mavvvy

Anyone have issues with packet-loss on Virgin since Friday (07/10/2016) in Dublin 6W or in proximity?

Averages at about 5% but spikes to DC's at times.

Thanks and regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Scriptiee

I been having issues since around last Friday, tweeted VM about it. Getting more then 5% of packet loss all over the place. Speed dropped from 360-ish to 3 ... Having a visit scheduled for Saturday

I'm Mulhuddart/Clonee area though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I don't like the new modem for wi-fi. Constants dropouts making listening to radio very frustrating.

The modem is exactly where the old one was - on the floor in my upstairs office, connected directly by cable to two of my computers.

I have no issues with download speed to these. I'm getting 170+ from Speedtest.net which is plenty.

My only issue is with wi-fi, which is dire compared to the old modem, which was superb.

I also ran the Steve Gibson benchmark and I've saved the results to my desktop as a .png, but I don't know how to display it here. :D

Very tempted to dump this modem.

For what it's worth, we're phone and internet only. Phone is also working perfectly.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

D

Dinarius wrote: »
    I don't like the new modem for wi-fi. Constants dropouts making listening to radio very frustrating.

Turn off wifi and bridge your own wifi router on the modem.
    Its what lots of us do.
    The kit from Virgin is cheap as chips Compal crap that they can shovel out the door for pennies. The previous kit- while many of us may have bitched and moaned about it- was Cisco bargain line stuff- from a reputable supplier with a history in the industry (I fully accept Compal are a reputable supplier- however, they don't have the heritage and history associated with Cisco- and have a lot less to loose, when they're not even mentioned by Virgin as the kit supplier.

You can pick up a reasonable ac router now without breaking the bank. There are so many of them out there- there is no point in my plugging one over another- I am myself using a secondhand Netgear Nighthawk I picked up on ebay.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.

1. I still have the old modem. Should I just reconnect it?

or...

2. Should I buy a new one? If so, where in Dublin would be good.

I work from home - all my computers run off Virgin. So, quality connection is important.

But, it's listening to wifi radio that keeps me sane - so, that's really important!

It would be a business expense, so I'm happy to buy one, if necessary. That said, the old one was better, and it's just lying there.

Thanks again.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You can't just buy a new one if you are with Virgin.

They have to commission the modem\router from their end and will only allow their own equipment to be used.

The latest one they gave you is commissioned and to one it replaced would have been decommissioned so it won't work if you connect it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

You can't just buy a new one if you are with Virgin.

They have to commission the modem\router from their end and will only allow their own equipment to be used.

The latest one they gave you is commissioned and to one it replaced would have been decommissioned so it won't work if you connect it.

Thanks for the reply.

That's Dutch to me, alas.

Having run the program I mentioned in my first post, would it be possible to choose a different channel?

Thanks.

D.

Forget about the old cable modem you have- normally Virgin collect them, obviously they overlooked collecting it in your case. If you are sure they don't want it back- the simplest thing to do is dump it in your local electronics collection cage (DID/Powercity/Currys etc- all have them).

I meant turn wifi off on the current cable modem (you can go into the settings on the router and do this)- and then buying a proper wifi router- and putting it in bridge mode on the current cable modem that Virgin gave you.

You can play around with different default wifi channels on the Compal router if you like- personally, I think its a waste of time- but thats your call.

A proper wifi router- on your current cable modem (aka you use the cable modem you have- but not its wifi- you go get your own wifi) in bridge mode- is the way to go...........

Thanks.

So, could you please tell me where I might look in Dublin for a wifi router. Or, should I buy online?

A link to a good one would be appreciated. 😊

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats an unholy ripoff. Steer clear of HN, grab something on Amazon.

This coming Friday is Black Friday.

So, if I could shop local, rather than give Amazon the money, I'd like to.

A selection here: https://m.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?searchTerms=Router&sort=Price%253A%252BLow%252B-%252BHigh

Many thanks for the reply.

D.

Thats a wireless N with no external antenna.
    Get an AC with directional antenna.
    Also- keep away from Harvey Norman- they'll tell you whatever you want to hear to get a sale, to say absolutely nothing about the quite remarkable prices they have on what most people would consider to be antique kit.........

Check out Netgear R7500 / R7800 / R8000 on Amazon- and see if you can get one of them as a Black Friday deal........
    I picked up a secondhand R8000 on ebay- but it still cost me over 140 quid.

The modem part of your cable modem- is perfectly fine- its the wifi that is crap- you really get what you pay for with a wifi router- and a reasonably priced AC router will futureproof you (assuming you'll be buying some AC products in the next year or two).

Remember- you need a wifi router- not a modem- half the products in that argos link were not what you're looking for (there were even carpentry routers there! :) )

• Advertisement

Thats a wireless N with no external antenna.
    Get an AC with directional antenna.
    Also- keep away from Harvey Norman- they'll tell you whatever you want to hear to get a sale, to say absolutely nothing about the quite remarkable prices they have on what most people would consider to be antique kit.........

Check out Netgear R7500 / R7800 / R8000 on Amazon- and see if you can get one of them as a Black Friday deal........
    I picked up a secondhand R8000 on ebay- but it still cost me over 140 quid.

The modem part of your cable modem- is perfectly fine- its the wifi that is crap- you really get what you pay for with a wifi router- and a reasonably priced AC router will futureproof you (assuming you'll be buying some AC products in the next year or two).

Remember- you need a wifi router- not a modem- half the products in that argos link were not what you're looking for (there were even carpentry routers there! :) )

Thanks again.

Thing is, I get the VAT back and it would be a business expense for me. Hence my desire to shop local.

Will keep an eye out.

D.

Advertisement