Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

But they still listen, and listen religiously by the looks of it.

And that's all Nova need.

Yes..but if you were to ask the 150k listeners "what would they change",....;)

Its all well and good playing snippets of "listeners" praising the station..
    Its perfect for Nova that most of their listeners cant read or use a keyboard.........:eek:...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Did I hear right - 2 U2 songs within about 10 mins of each other? Not fully sure cos of noisy kitchen. Who makes these bloody playlists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

FanadMan wrote: »
    Did I hear right - 2 U2 songs within about 10 mins of each other? Not fully sure cos of noisy kitchen. Who makes these bloody playlists?

What's wrong with playing two U2 songs close together. U2 have released a fair few songs over a few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

There seems to be an inviolable law of the radio universe which states that whenever I turn on Radio Nova, Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes has to be playing.

What's wrong with playing two U2 songs close together. U2 have released a fair few songs over a few decades.

How many other (and better) bands have released more songs than U2 and don't even get a single play on the primetime shows? There are more Irish bands than U2 if Nova need to fill their BAI quota.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

From a playlisting point of view, it would be unusual to have more than one song from an artiste in a short period unless they're played back to back.

....and there we have a typical Nova listener....no offence....

....and there we have a typical Nova listener....no offence....

No offence taken from a radio snob... no offence.

No offence taken from a radio snob... no offence.

None taken...btw congratulations on your double digit contribution to the radio forum....yayyyyyyy...:)

None taken...btw congratulations on your double digit contribution to the radio forum....yayyyyyyy...:)

So, that's how it works. Quantity over quality :pac: :P

• Advertisement

Nova noise PC..."is this your first time...i knew that"...every fcuking time ,then theres the listttttttttt......i'm thinkin dymentia at this stage....even down to the same Janes addiction track...all the time...god i miss Joe Donnelly..........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

they are sh!tting themselves with that noise....what is it now 3/4 clues in a week!

*p.s. i am not listening to the station anymore but I would really like if when that noise is solved someone here could post the answer for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

guile4582 wrote: »
    they are sh!tting themselves with that noise....what is it now 3/4 clues in a week!

*p.s. i am not listening to the station anymore but I would really like if when that noise is solved someone here could post the answer for me!

That Nova Noise needs to be obliterated once and for all. It's a stupid game, utterly nonsensical. If they must run a cash prize based game to entice listeners, they should bring back Stripped Back.

But yes, I will commit to informing you of the origins of that infernal din once it is solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

Thats clearly Carol Dooley....Irish Carol Dooley.......I think PC sounds like he sounds (juvenile) but i hear no yank twang..then theres Mike (Terry Partridge)Moloney..painful...but half decent sounds....'spose you cant have everything ..:rolleyes:

I'm pretty certain it's not Carol Dooley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Broadcastonfm

guile4582 wrote: »
    the baby was on the radio this morning...i'm done...goodbye Nova
    Seriously , glad I missed . That breakfast show is headrecking as it is. Did you ever hear people as obsessed with the sound of their own voices as Marty , Dee and Conor.

Here a thought Nova , let the music do the talking . The new liner should be less gob and more music. As for the 80s obsession - suggests management in earlier to mid 40's .

I've made the switch and turned it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Nova is rubbish except for Sunday evening/night, the classics with Steve Downes (best dj voice around) which I'm sure is a syndicated show, and Pat James, the best music dj on Irish radio. The rest of it is utter garbage.

Was listening to the breakfast show this morning,
    how the hell are those lads getting paid to pump out that muck?

The station is a joke,
    Dont get me started on Pat "the cock" Courtney !

Double post

Was listening to the breakfast show this morning,
    how the hell are those lads getting paid to pump out that muck?

The station is a joke,
    Dont get me started on Pat "the cock" Courtney !

But thats what Nova listeners want...repeating myself (again:p) Nova listeners dont have any interest in music.....they just like songs....

For those of you who have switched off Nova, have you switched to another station or are you listening to your own playlists? If you have switched station, which one have you switched to?

As regards Morning Glory, I don't dislike Miller or Irwin, but they need to reign in the silliness in the mornings. There's no need for antics such as burning Irwin's old boxer shorts for no apparent reason. I understand that radio shows need dialogue (otherwise you might as well just stick to your mp3), but keep it relevant. Breakfast shows don't need to be 'whacky'.

• Advertisement

For those of you who have switched off Nova, have you switched to another station or are you listening to your own playlists? If you have switched station, which one have you switched to?

As regards Morning Glory, I don't dislike Miller or Irwin, but they need to reign in the silliness in the mornings. There's no need for antics such as burning Irwin's old boxer shorts for no apparent reason. I understand that radio shows need dialogue (otherwise you might as well just stick to your mp3), but keep it relevant. Breakfast shows don't need to be 'whacky'.

Think the idea is that it's nice and lively with plenty of "happy banter" for the morning shows (to get people awake and motivated) and on the home drive there is lots of traffic news and and very little rock in case the traffic jammed drivers get a bit riled up while sitting stuck on the M50. Do they thing that if a driver hears something loud and raucous they'll instantly turn into a GTA driver and try to kill anything on the road?

I'd much rather Miller and Irwin over FM104 or Today FM's antics. But they just played that poxy Ex's and Oh's again! :mad: Miller comes across as a bit of a music snob, he must be shuddering when playing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

FUV Music - New york station, like a mix of Nova and TXfm and fcuk all zany BS - mostly music, not a lot of natter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

the whacky is exactly why I turned off, the music isn't as good as it used to be but still better than most. I absolutely detest the whacky DJ morning nonsense where one does something and the other laughs and calls them crazy. They only do this so you know how funny they are. I basically mooch around now looking for something to listen to although Ive been bussing it for the last while so it hasn't been a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

salmocab wrote: »
    the whacky is exactly why I turned off, the music isn't as good as it used to be but still better than most. I absolutely detest the whacky DJ morning nonsense where one does something and the other laughs and calls them crazy. They only do this so you know how funny they are. I basically mooch around now looking for something to listen to although Ive been bussing it for the last while so it hasn't been a big deal.

I have to agree with you. I am not a fan of the "zany" duo setup (for "zany" read: inane, torturous, pretend funny, false laughing, chat), which is now a feature of so many stations now. If they played more music, I might be slightly less inclined to change. At the moment, I listen to quite a bit of Newstalk in the morning, and I am beginning to listen to Livedrive again on Dublin City FM, since the closure of TXFM (sniff!).

FanadMan wrote: »
    Think the idea is that it's nice and lively with plenty of "happy banter" for the morning shows (to get people awake and motivated) and on the home drive there is lots of traffic news and and very little rock in case the traffic jammed drivers get a bit riled up while sitting stuck on the M50. Do they thing that if a driver hears something loud and raucous they'll instantly turn into a GTA driver and try to kill anything on the road?

I have to admit, I do get a sudden urge to start mowing down innocent pedestrians when 'I Ran' by A Flock of Seagulls comes on. For those four minutes, Dublin becomes Vice City (at least in my mind, anyway).

salmocab wrote: »

I know exactly where you're coming from. Music wise, it's the best of a bad lot. Although they can be quite repetitive, you're not going to hear the likes of Metallica or Sabbath on any other station (even if it doesn't venture beyond Enter Sandman and Paranoid). Mind you, I'd sooner listen to those two songs forevermore than endure one second of chart rubbish that's frequently doled out elsewhere. On the other hand, as Karsini pointed out, the likes of 'Ex's & Oh's' shouldn't be anywhere near their playlist.

I know exactly where you're coming from. Music wise, it's the best of a bad lot. Although they can be quite repetitive, you're not going to hear the likes of Metallica or Sabbath on any other station (even if it doesn't venture beyond Enter Sandman and Paranoid). Mind you, I'd sooner listen to those two songs forevermore than endure one second of chart rubbish that's frequently doled out elsewhere. On the other hand, as Karsini pointed out, the likes of 'Ex's & Oh's' shouldn't be anywhere near their playlist.

I'm hearing a lot more of the "new" indie (read: sh1te) bands being played on Nova lately..All Tvvins, Bastille, Blossoms...utter sh1te imo....its all just Bridget Jones soundtrack rubbish....where have all the rock bands gone....:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I did a bit of analysis of Nova's tracklist there recently actually. 98 songs all told; you could do more, but the trend wasn't changing.

The average year of a song was 1991. (The median was 1990) So half of all songs are from the 90s or newer. Only one song in 6 was from before 1977.

By decade, there was 20 songs from the 70s, 80s and 10s, 19 from the 90s, 10 from the 00s and 9 from the 60s. So the 00s were more represented than the 60s, and the current decade is top of the lot. There was ten songs from 2016 alone, including the only songs repeated in the period - Bang Bang by Greenday and Hole In My Soul by Kaiser Chiefs. The Kaiser Chiefs song was actually played three times; the only other bands to be played three times were Blur and Nirvana (three different songs played once each)

Bands played twice were - Bastille, Bon Jovi, Green Day, Kings of Leon, Pearl Jam (Alive twice), Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Tom Petty, and ZZ Top.

But there's an awful lot of stuff like Max Headroom notes - Heathens, Two Door Cinema Club, Richard Hawley, Vance Joy, Kongos, The Kooks, The Fratellis, Doves, etc, etc, etc.

No AC/DC in the 98 songs, interestingly.

I guess take of that what ye will!

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    I did a bit of analysis of Nova's tracklist there recently actually. 98 songs all told; you could do more, but the trend wasn't changing.

The average year of a song was 1991. (The median was 1990) So half of all songs are from the 90s or newer. Only one song in 6 was from before 1977.

By decade, there was 20 songs from the 70s, 80s and 10s, 19 from the 90s, 10 from the 00s and 9 from the 60s. So the 00s were more represented than the 60s, and the current decade is top of the lot. There was ten songs from 2016 alone, including the only songs repeated in the period - Bang Bang by Greenday and Hole In My Soul by Kaiser Chiefs. The Kaiser Chiefs song was actually played three times; the only other bands to be played three times were Blur and Nirvana (three different songs played once each)

Bands played twice were - Bastille, Bon Jovi, Green Day, Kings of Leon, Pearl Jam (Alive twice), Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Tom Petty, and ZZ Top.

But there's an awful lot of stuff like Max Headroom notes - Heathens, Two Door Cinema Club, Richard Hawley, Vance Joy, Kongos, The Kooks, The Fratellis, Doves, etc, etc, etc.

No AC/DC in the 98 songs, interestingly.

I guess take of that what ye will!

That's some interesting input, cdeb. How did you manage to collate all those stats?

Advertisement