Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

guile4582 wrote: »
    the annoying american voiced promos are horrible

I think you might be thinking of Pat Courtenay. He's Kiwi/Irish, but one could be forgiven for thinking he's American, he does have that kind of twang to his accent.

Its getting worse...Theyre trying to stick in more alt stuff since TXFM went off air but theyre the same tired tracks that TX overplayed .....it all just sounds a bit sad now...the nova noise ??..."its the sound of failure"..thats not on the fcuking list list list PC....... :)

Oooooh I'm lookin' for cluuuuues
    *DOO-DOO-DOO-DOO-DOO-DOO*

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think you might be thinking of Pat Courtenay. He's Kiwi/Irish, but one could be forgiven for thinking he's American, he does have that kind of twang to his accent.
    No, fairly sure he means the really, really irritating American accented female voice that does the Nova feature ads (e.g. the Nova noise, etc)

cdeb wrote: »
    No, fairly sure he means the really, really irritating American accented female voice that does the Nova feature ads (e.g. the Nova noise, etc)

Oh yes, of course. That 'American' hybrid accent so prevalent amongst Irish millennials is exasperating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Oh yes, of course. That 'American' hybrid accent so prevalent amongst Irish millennials is exasperating.

To me she does actually sound American.....but that could be Donegal ears lol

• Advertisement

That's clearly an American accent, not some sort of Irish wannabe thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

That's clearly an American accent, not some sort of Irish wannabe thing.

Thats clearly Carol Dooley....Irish Carol Dooley.......I think PC sounds like he sounds (juvenile) but i hear no yank twang..then theres Mike (Terry Partridge)Moloney..painful...but half decent sounds....'spose you cant have everything ..:rolleyes:

Really? Wow. I've heard silly accents here before, but never one that painful. Or one which even uses American phrases at times.

Seems I stand corrected so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

no its a female....the one who says all other radio stations are gimmicky etc etc

So we all listen to Nova, at least somewhat? It's far from perfect, but it's the only choice for rock fans on the FM right now. If you were given the reigns tomorrow morning, what would you do differently? (Realistically speaking, within the confines of BAI regulations).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Maybe a metal show one night a week?? Getting tired of hearing the same old songs over and over and............zzzzzzzz

Maybe a metal show one night a week?? Getting tired of hearing the same old songs over and over and............zzzzzzzz

Yes, definitely. Injecting some metal into the equation would be a welcome addition to their programming. As it stands, their metal catalogue consists of 'Enter Sandman' and..........eh, 'Enter Sandman'.

I can't even listen to it on FM - if they'd only say broadcasting to Dublin, Kildare, Meath and Wicklow AND DONEGAL! Nova is my main Internet usage per month.
    Have noticed in the last week that there is a bit more classic coming in - maybe Brannigan is on holidays lol.

Just listen out for Greendays new single Bang Bang - I'm sure they ripped off some Iron Maiden riff (in the middle of the track). That'll prob serve as Novas contribution to metal lol

So we all listen to Nova, at least somewhat? It's far from perfect, but it's the only choice for rock fans on the FM right now. If you were given the reigns tomorrow morning, what would you do differently? (Realistically speaking, within the confines of BAI regulations).

With the exception of GG their daytime is sh1te..imo...
    Get rid of that dreadful american idea (and voiveovers) that breakfast shows are supposed to fill the listeners ears with happy zany shows with happy zany presenters ,awful banter, forced laughter etc...
    GG's show is fine, but let him choose more of his own tunes...
    Then theres Courtenay..:rolleyes:...he's just the worst..move him to the graveyard shift...pleeeeease....
    Also i think theres an extra slot in there...GG 10-1..1-4 some afternoon show...4-7 drive time show....
    And Brannigan needs to open his ears and eyes to what the listeners REALLY want ...god knows we've said it enough......and I know he visits Boards....;)
    PS....WE'RE NOT AMERICANS....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJRF8xGzvj4

Don't get the hate for Courtenay; I think he's a bit of craic.

Ditto the morning crew. It's radio; a bit of talk is to be expected, otherwise it's just an iPod shuffle.

Agree on the accents and the variety though. If it's The Clash up next, it'll always be one of the main four (I Fought The Law, London Calling, Rock The Casbah, Should I Stay Or Should I Go). If it's the Rats, it'll always be either Mondays or Rat Trap. If it's Iron Maiden, it means it's the Friday Night Rock Show, because they never get played outside that I think.

Some of the feature programmes are good - even When The Feck has a bit more variety in tunes. But outside of that, it's a bit samey alright. And quite tame. But I guess the argument will be made that that's what's making the ratings go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Don't get the hate for Courtenay; I think he's a bit of craic.

Ditto the morning crew. It's radio; a bit of talk is to be expected, otherwise it's just an iPod shuffle.

Agree on the accents and the variety though. If it's The Clash up next, it'll always be one of the main four (I Fought The Law, London Calling, Rock The Casbah, Should I Stay Or Should I Go). If it's the Rats, it'll always be either Mondays or Rat Trap. If it's Iron Maiden, it means it's the Friday Night Rock Show, because they never get played outside that I think.

Some of the feature programmes are good - even When The Feck has a bit more variety in tunes. But outside of that, it's a bit samey alright. And quite tame. But I guess the argument will be made that that's what's making the ratings go up.

Courtenay is a boring f@&ker. Same jokes, same sound effects after his jokes ALL THE TIME. He's just NOT FUNNY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

My opinion is that Nova is doing the best it can, within the constraints of the system in which they operate.

Wouldn't we all like to have stations like Zenith Classic Rock, or all-day Pat James, or a plethora of other niche stations at our disposal on FM?

Lovely. Except its just not commercially viable to do so in this country under the BAI regime.

It would be possible on DAB, in fact its probably the reason the BAI have put the DAB file down behind the radiator. 'Their' stations don't want the competition.

On Nova, you get a 'leaning' towards rock, which is all they can do without falling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

the baby was on the radio this morning...i'm done...goodbye Nova

My opinion is that Nova is doing the best it can, within the constraints of the system in which they operate.

Maybe you can explain the BAI constraints to me...all i know is they HAVE to play a certain amount of Irish stuff..with Nova its U2...are they limited in the choice of artists tracks too.??..again i think Good morning Vietnam..:)

Wheres Declan Walsh when i need him...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Largely I mean financial constraints. News/talk content. Levies.

The BAI largely dictate the business model, and that is not the most efficient one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Largely I mean financial constraints. News/talk content. Levies.

The BAI largely dictate the business model, and that is not themes efficient one.

Additionally there are constraints re genres of music / talk content / advertising content / various levies etc etc

Ultimately - the station must be a commercial success and if the listeners (as the jnlrs seem to bear out) like the product and high rotation (its mild compared to other stations) then Nova is doing the right thing

Infoanon wrote: »
    ...... then Nova is doing the right thing

Not according to a lot of people on this thread lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

FanadMan wrote: »

JNLRS are what it is all about - a few dissenting voices on here wont change the commercial realities

There's maybe 20 people on this thread?

And 150,000 listeners?

So this thread is small fry as it stands.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Disco 2000 on now - another song they never get tired of playing.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Disco 2000 on now - another song they never get tired of playing.
    And I never tire of hearing it. :) I don't think that they can please everyone of all the time. But at the same time, some of the playlist is dubious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

FanadMan wrote: »

But they still listen, and listen religiously by the looks of it.

And that's all Nova need.

I know - I bitch, moan and whinge at Nova but still listen cos there's feck all else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I dont I might on occasion stop if I'm flicking through and a good song is on, which to be fair is at least more likely than lots of other stations.

Advertisement