Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Infoanon wrote: »
    - if you look at Novas original application that included the likes of Duffy on their sample playlist.

That would make me stop listening straight away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

The JNLRs say differently - and as much as I would like more variety commercial needs must take precedence.

As I wrote many years ago the term 'rock' covers a lot of styles of music - if you look at Novas original application that included the likes of Duffy on their sample playlist.

People keep throwing in that old chestnut as some sort of excuse/reason for the music they "must" play..but theyre missing the point ,Yes you can play AC/DC,U2 The Eagles etc etc all day long (and they do) but not the same couple of "hits" all the time....Sadly, and dont get offended but i know mates who listen to Nova and think its the best station, but these people have ZERO interest in music and are quite happy to hear the same popular tunes all the time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

People keep throwing in that old chestnut as some sort of excuse/reason for the music they "must" play..but theyre missing the point ,Yes you can play AC/DC,U2 The Eagles etc etc all day long (and they do) but not the same couple of "hits" all the time....Sadly, and dont get offended but i know mates who listen to Nova and think its the best station, but these people have ZERO interest in music and are quite happy to hear the same popular tunes all the time....

I completely agree, Max. It's like they have the Rock Anthems compilation album on a continuous loop. At the same time, the shows that are interesting (Pat James/Steve Downes) and offer music fans the variety that's so seriously lacking in the station at large are relegated to the graveyard slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

"he used up all his paternity"
    "she's on maternity"

......"but not for an enternity!"

did you ever hear such a BS jingle on a radio show!!!

Give the show to Conor Irwin on his own with that southern hemisphere news reader (kiwi or aussie afraid I don't know)

guile4582 wrote: »
    "she's on maternity"

Give the show to Conor Irwin on his own with that southern hemisphere news reader (kiwi or aussie afraid I don't know)

Dant git me staated on that wan.....It must be the equivalent of a Dublin skanger accent .....painful...

• Advertisement

i think she is a breathe of fresh air..can you sense Marty's jealousy at Conor's musical knowledge and that he can actually play a guitar

Siobhain's grand. Then again I don't have too much of an issue with the show as a whole either. Seems to be better than anything else I've found on Irish radio. Hard news or forced hilarity in the morning doesn't suit me at all.

i think she is a breathe of fresh air..can you sense Marty's jealousy at Conor's musical knowledge and that he can actually play a guitar

MM likes to talk the talk...he'd be just as happy selling fridges in Harvey Normans...

"she's on maternity"

Siobhan 'Bumpah tah bumpah' McDonnell.

Siobhan 'Bumpah tah bumpah' McDonnell.

Struth mate ,dats raceeist....:p

• Advertisement

tune into WFUV radio online...never go back to nova after it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I completely agree, Max. It's like they have the Rock Anthems compilation album on a continuous loop. At the same time, the shows that are interesting (Pat James/Steve Downes) and offer music fans the variety that's so seriously lacking in the station at large are relegated to the graveyard slots.

The reason being that these shows do not attract big audiences - if they did they would be on in prime time - like it or not there is a commercial reality that has to be faced.

The reason being that these shows do not attract big audiences - if they did they would be on in prime time - like it or not there is a commercial reality that has to be faced.

I hear you, however, that being said, surely a little bit more variety couldn't hurt? Granted, I'm not expecting to hear some obscure Gordon Lightfoot b-side on Morning Glory or Nova Drive, but they seriously need to expand the record collection and loosen the shackles of their prime time DJs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

They played that $hite "exes and ohs" song today.
    And they seriously call themselves a rock station, classic rock me hole, they have the same music policy as today fm! :mad:

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    They played that $hite "exes and ohs" song today.
    And they seriously call themselves a rock station, classic rock me hole, they have the same music policy as today fm! :mad:

Yeah, I actually heard that earlier on today. I thought someone in the job had switched the dial (although they probably f**king should have!). I'm also quite miffed/confused about their new found hard on for Twenty One Pilots, 'Heathens' in particular. Aren't they a hip hop group?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yeah, I actually heard that earlier on today. I thought someone in the job had switched the dial (although they probably f**king should have!). I'm also quite miffed/confused about their new found hard on for Twenty One Pilots, 'Heathens' in particular. Aren't they a hip hop group?

There's been a few questionable songs on the play list of late.

I'm also quite miffed/confused about their new found hard on for Twenty One Pilots, 'Heathens' in particular. Aren't they a hip hop group?
    Definitely, I thought that myself. I remember they once ripped into someone for guessing Adele for a Stripped Back song, but let's be honest, Elle King isn't far off Adele!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The playlist does need a bit of a revamp. I'm not sure if I said it before, but there were tunes played in the station's infancy that could be considered classic rock, but no longer seem to be on their playlist. There are so many classic rock songs that SHOULD be played on the station, but seem to be neglected. Well, from what I've heard of the station anyway, I haven't heard those songs I'm thinking of. I'm pretty sure that I've heard Exes and Ohs on Nova on more than one occasion in recent times.

They played it a fair bit at the start of the year, it was in one of their "new music" things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Haven't really listened in a while, used to enjoy it a lot especially in work where it could be on in the background. Then they stuck some married couple on in the mornings, you can tell they're married because they mentioned it constantly. The music isn't as good anymore and there is a lot more zany DJ chat in the space where they used to play good music. I don't like Pat Courtney but at least he plays generally good music and doesn't talk too much. I miss the first few weeks of it where I could get listen to smoke on the water 3 times a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

What annoys me is that they claim to be edgy and go on about "while other stations play music like this, we at nova prefer music like this..."
    As I've already said they are not a million miles away from Today FM now in music content, really annoys me when they claim to have a different and unique music policy.

CPL 593H

Karsini wrote: »
    Definitely, I thought that myself. I remember they once ripped into someone for guessing Adele for a Stripped Back song, but let's be honest, Elle King isn't far off Adele!

Absolutely. There's nothing 'classic' or 'rock' about either of them. I don't know why they don't dig (even just a little) into the rich tapestry of material from artists who they already play, who properly fit the genre. For instance, Clapton or Gary Moore, there's plenty to work with beyond 'Lay Down Sally' and 'Empty Rooms'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭prunudo

On the new music thing, do they ever make reference to The strypes or riptide movement?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭hipdoobloon

Been listening to nova pretty much since day 1. & I have to agree that it's gone stale with constant repeats of the same songs , the baby talk in the morning is starting to do my head in as youd swear he was the 1st person in the world to hsve a child Eleanor this Eleanor that , thought stripped back was really good with the music connection but not a fan of nova noise as every station has a version of the same thing , hate Greg g doing the noise as he comes across as an obnoxious prick if some1 guesses a previous guess, I thought Sineads show was really good in the evenings compared the the new 1 & finally have to say mick Swan aka mike Maloney is the best dj they have , so natural , relaxed & witty . Rant over

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Oh look, it's 'Why Does it Always Rain on me' for the 500th time this week. And next up it's 'Alright' by Supergrass for the 1000th time this week. Just two horribly bland songs they seem to have on repeat these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

salmocab wrote: »
    Haven't really listened in a while, used to enjoy it a lot especially in work where it could be on in the background. Then they stuck some married couple on in the mornings, you can tell they're married because they mentioned it constantly. The music isn't as good anymore and there is a lot more zany DJ chat in the space where they used to play good music. I don't like Pat Courtney but at least he plays generally good music and doesn't talk too much. I miss the first few weeks of it where I could get listen to smoke on the water 3 times a day.

That's Marty Miller and Dee Woods - she is currently out on maternity leave and Conor Irwin is standing in for her. Basically, Marty and Pat were swapped with each other on the schedule. Dee Woods was on from 7pm weekday evenings before being moved to mornings to join her husband Marty to stand-in and then replace Joan Lea.

That's Marty Miller and Dee Woods - she is currently out on maternity leave and Conor Irwin is standing in for her. Basically, Marty and Pat were swapped with each other on the schedule. Dee Woods was on from 7pm weekday evenings before being moved to mornings to join her husband Marty to stand-in and then replace Joan Lea.

Joan Lea, yeah, I remember her. Herself and Miller were to be Nova's new flagship show. However, she disappeared overnight not long into her tenure on Morning Glory if memory serves me?And was promptly replaced by Dee Woods. It was handy that they were able to change 'Lea's Sleaze' to 'Dee's Sleaze' so seamlessly without affecting the rhyme.

jvan wrote: »
    On the new music thing, do they ever make reference to The strypes or riptide movement?

They play the odd track from the Riptide Movement, but it's few and far between. Haven't heard anything from the Strypes, but that's not to say they haven't/don't play any of their stuff.

the annoying american voiced promos are horrible

• Advertisement

Its getting worse...Theyre trying to stick in more alt stuff since TXFM went off air but theyre the same tired tracks that TX overplayed .....it all just sounds a bit sad now...the nova noise ??..."its the sound of failure"..thats not on the fcuking list list list PC....... :)

Advertisement