Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Just when you thought they couldnt lower themselves after the bastardisation that was Rachael and Steve.

That campaign confused me a little. The start of it made sense from the point of view of the lad with the annoying housemate and his annoying girlfriend "I need to get my own space" angle I.e. let's get a mortgage.

But then it followed the annoying couple as central characters. The guy next door has got himself a new place beside Rachel & Steve. I'd have thought that would suggest he should have stuck to the flexibility of renting.

ligerdub wrote: »
    That campaign confused me a little. The start of it made sense from the point of view of the lad with the annoying housemate and his annoying girlfriend "I need to get my own space" angle I.e. let's get a mortgage.

But then it followed the annoying couple as central characters. The guy next door has got himself a new place beside Rachel & Steve. I'd have thought that would suggest he should have stuck to the flexibility of renting

Maybe Steve and Rachael represented the Bank of Ireland themselves?.. an annoying nuisance that has a vice like grip around your balls wherever you go and is reluctant to relinquish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

if i hear that dee dee la la la ad for X-factor with Dermort O'Leary one more time i might just throw my television out in the yard it's only what 2 seconds but f'n hell it's so annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

The panadol actifast ad with the hipster van "does it look like I've time for a headache"
    What a gobsheen a belt of a shovel would cure him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Oh no not yer man and Sue (the pig). Give me strength...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

Just saw a Burger King advert where chickens with human voices are delighted because they are having chicken fries for dinner. Chickens eating chickens. I feel quite sick at the depths they will go to to peddle their junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah FFS the AIG ads with the 2 **** and some rugby twats are back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

"This is a letter to my mam, thanks for the thirty best meals of my life..."

Fup off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just saw a Burger King advert where chickens with human voices are delighted because they are having chicken fries for dinner. Chickens eating chickens.
    They are not eating the fries, the young chicken announces she is pregnant with fries -presumably to her parents.

A small chicken sticks his head around the corner and says "again", meaning "pregnant again" or that the fries are available again. I guess some might think he means "chicken fries for dinner again"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

That Domnio's ad with the famous works of art (Mona Lisa, The Scream etc) extolling the brilliance of Shiddy Pizza using 'totes amazeballs/this is going on my insta' type language.

Very, very Irritable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

valoren wrote: »
    That Domnio's ad with the famous works of art (Mona Lisa, The Scream etc) extolling the brilliance of Shiddy Pizza using 'totes amazeballs/this is going on my insta' type language.

Very, very Irritable.

That ad frightens me but I dont know why.

Not a commercial ad per se, but the ad for the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon irritates the bejaysus out of me. Ive never been a big fan of american tonight shows. Ive never been a fan of Conan O'Brian. Jay Leno was ok. They always seem so over the top, laugh out loud, be as stupid as possible. Jimmy Fallon looks like the embodiement of everything I dislike about US late night chat shows. Loud, brash, thinking he is so starspangled awesome, and his audience agreeing and cheering him on because everything he says is so damn funny.

Urgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Just saw a Burger King advert where chickens with human voices are delighted because they are having chicken fries for dinner. Chickens eating chickens. I feel quite sick at the depths they will go to to peddle their junk.

Probably not the effect they were hoping for but ever since seeing those talking hens my son has refused to eat chicken entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

The JML plug in disco ball. Looks like a 6th class project done on a mobile phone.

Also House of Fraser Xmas ad. Noise and non sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Calpol ad. Must be powerful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Total fail this year.

So disappointing.

The worst thing about their Ad this year is, It totally debunks Santa Claus! What will the young kids make of that?⁠⁠⁠⁠

John Lewis Christmas Advert 2016

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

It totally debunks Santa Claus! What will the young kids make of that?⁠⁠⁠⁠
    That never crossed my mind, but a fair point, similar was said about a paypal one too. In both cases I figured it was a gift from the parents and not santa.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/john-lewis-christmas-advert-2016-father-christmas-ruined-video-a7409141.html

though I guess in some households the kids might not get a gift from the parents, and they all come from santa.

Someone will have to make spoofs of it. Kid going out to find the wild animals have ripped it up and crapped everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

kevin the carrot, only place for you ya little orange b****x

HTB1FrGhJXXXXXaPXFXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Current Newstalk 106 Advert
    https://youtu.be/LbwBt1MtGbI

• Registered Users Posts: 22,254 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The woman's voice in the Pampers ad, I'd love to smack her with a dirty nappy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Total fail this year.

So disappointing.

The worst thing about their Ad this year is, It totally debunks Santa Claus! What will the young kids make of that?⁠⁠⁠⁠

John Lewis Christmas Advert 2016

Just what you'd like to see - vermin all over your kid's new trampoline on Christmas Eve night, leaving plenty of their own presents for the mother or father to clean up and disinfect on Christmas Day before the child gets to have a go on it. Triffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

All this nonsense about the John Lewis ad, are people that sensitive? Shocking stuff wild animals in your garden and all children will click that the parents bought the trampoline :rolleyes: It's only an ad FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Sam Kade wrote: »
    All this nonsense about the John Lewis ad, are people that sensitive? Shocking stuff wild animals in your garden and all children will click that the parents bought the trampoline :rolleyes: It's only an ad FFS.

You won't like what the Guardian's Stuart Heritage has had to say about this ad, then. :o;)

"This is the story of a little girl called Bridget who loves to bounce," says the John Lewis website as it introduces its new Christmas advert. Bridget has always loved to bounce. She's put in the hours, endlessly springing up and down on her bed as her dog Buster watches from the sidelines. Arguably, there is no individual better qualified to bounce than Bridget. She's been preparing for this her whole life.

Finally, Bridget is given her big shot. Someone has assembled the trampoline of her dreams in her back garden. On Christmas morning, Bridget wakes up and sees the thing she's always longed for. She races downstairs. She has a clear shot at the trampoline. But then, at the last moment, Buster barges in ahead of her and grabs the trampoline for himself. Bridget stands on, astonished that something as stupid as a dog could have beaten her to it. Meanwhile, Buster gets his stupid dog mouth and his stupid dog parasites all over the trampoline, ruining it for anyone who ever wanted to use it afterwards.

That's right, Buster the dog is Donald Trump. Buster the dog is Donald Trump, Bridget is Hillary Clinton and the trampoline is America. Thanks for rubbing it in, John Lewis.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this. Perhaps the John Lewis brain-trust got together and looked around them. Perhaps they looked at the state of the world, with Brexit and Trump and the rise of the right and all our dead heroes. Perhaps they looked at their own past offerings, where a woman relentlessly ages and a penguin is forced to seek companionship with a monstrous cadaver and the world's loneliest man dies in space. Perhaps they took stock of all this and shrugged "surely a dog on a trampoline won't upset anyone".

In theory, the intention was admirable. But this year has been such a domino stack of heartbreaking disappointment that John Lewis wouldn't have had to do much to make everyone cry. An advert where a weekend dad saves up to buy a toy for his son, soundtracked by a sad cover of Heroes by David Bowie. An advert where an old man sits on the white cliffs of Dover watching Europe fade into the distance, until he cheers up when a cartoon Belgian monkey gives him a gift voucher. Literally just a static card reading "2016". Any of these would have been a shot straight to the tear ducts.

But no. This year John Lewis tried to be happy. It tried to show us something as innocent and gleeful as an animal on a trampoline, in a bid to remind us that there's still some good left in the world. Our lives are flat and grey and trodden on, but so long as there's a dog bouncing next to a weirdly anachronistic telephone box, we'll still be fine.

And what did it make? A sledgehammer allegory for Donald Trump. A woman who gets shoved aside by an unthinking, self-interested animal even though she's much more suited to the task at hand. Watch the advert while listening to Hillary Clinton's concession speech. I dare you. It's heartbreaking. John Lewis, you've done the impossible. You've made 2016 worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/nov/10/john-lewis-christmas-advert-buster-the-bouncing-dog-a-sledgehammer-to-2016

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It drives me mad that people here go on and on and on about those f*cking John Lewis ads when they haven't got any shops in this country.

Also the weird thing people have about it in a sense that they look forward to the emotional pangs to be had from them.
    Personally I find it a little dark that these marketing campaigns know the impact it has on people and seek to outdo themselves the whole time.

Also the weird thing people have about it in a sense that they look forward to the emotional pangs to be had from them.
    Personally I find it a little dark that these marketing campaigns know the impact it has on people and seek to outdo themselves the whole time.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    It's only an ad FFS.
    They are not run of the mill ads though...
    You won't like what the Guardian's Stuart Heritage has had to say about this ad, then.
    I was actually going to say its not some €100 ad like a harvey norman crap one.

Just like some might like to see what ads come on at the superbowl, or budweiser christmas ads, or well produced guinness ads.

Its even got its own wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lewis_Christmas_advert
    last years estimated to cost £7million
    It drives me mad that people here go on and on and on about those f*cking John Lewis ads when they haven't got any shops in this country.
    You can buy from them online, would amazon adverts upset you too? if they had high production ads people discussed. They had pop up some shops in the US. But either way the shop has little to do with why people have an interest in them or discuss them, its not like people are saying "did you see the price of the TV in that advert, in a shop we cannot even buy from. Its similar to how people who hate guinness might enjoy watching an ad with high production value.

If the ads appearred each year with some cryptic symbol and nobody ever knew who put them up people would still watch -i.e. the fact they cannot shop in them is irrelevant. I have seen many ads that gave me a giggle and have no recollection what they are trying to sell/advertise.

If people were watching a boring ad showing the prices of milk & bread in some japanese supermarket which did no online business then I would "be driven mad" if people harped on about it.

-I think this years one is crap BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭taytobreath

That Christmas Tesco add, that hand writing is waaaay to perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭taytobreath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Plus there's something very inherently depressing about those ads. They wouldn't exactly have me bouncing off to Tesco to do my Christmas shopping.

Advertisement