Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Adverts 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think the John Lewis ad is nice, not as good as previous years (think the best one so far was the penguin one), but I do think people are overreacting with the dad setting up the trampoline in the garden - a little white lie could easily be made up, if kids did ask about it, not a big deal IMO.

For me, so far, the Aldi ad is epic! I love the whole Home Alone theme that goes through it - Kevin the Carrot and Home Alone theme music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

New Aldi ad has put me in the mood for Xmas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've only seen it once but I'm.... undecided.

I'll spend today rewatching the ad and thinking about it instead of working and come back with my thoughts later. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I've only seen it once but I'm.... undecided.

I'll spend today rewatching the ad and thinking about it instead of working and come back with my thoughts later. :pac:

As an ad I love it. As a Christmas ad I'm meh. Also the song is very disappointing.

My favourites are still definitely the Bear and the Hare, Monty the penguin and the little boy who can't wait for Christmas.

Is it me or does the child have a sour puss on her watching the dog hogging her gift?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Is it me or does the child have a sour puss on her watching the dog hogging her gift?!

Not just you she definitely does. Most kids would have laughed their asses off at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

Agree with all of you that I loved the ad but as a Christmas ad it just wasn't christmassy enough for me! The boxer reminded me of the boxer dog that my grandparents had when I was younger. He was such a dote and would look at you with the very same look that Buster had! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The advert doesn't show the child writing it on a santa list does it? It can easily be explained that it's a surprise from the parents.

Anyway, Kevin vs Buster! Vote if you wish!

https://twitter.com/ManUnitedMaryK/status/796692665823887361

A_smurf wrote: »
    Agree with all of you that I loved the ad but as a Christmas ad it just wasn't christmassy enough for me!
    It could have just been a birthday present for the little girl. Definitely not Christmassy enough!
    Seems to be a trend with several ads this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭touts

If you have a kid in their last year of Santa and already with doubts they will pick up on the father putting up the present after the mother has put the child to bed. Young kids won't get it but for older kids with doubts this will at the very least add fuel to the fire of doubt in their mind. If they could just find a way to edit out those 5 seconds then that would be great. Its got trampolining animals. A few years ago they had a snowman come to life. Last year there was a old lad walking around the moon in his PJs. Would having the trampoline just appear in the garden without showing how it got there one way or the other really have been a step too far in the fantasy stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very disappointed with the John Lewis ad this year. So many things wrong with it. Music usually brillant not this year.The father putting the trampoline together is just wrong. No child would get a present this big from their parents for Christmas it's something Santa would bring so wrecked that for any children doubting him. Also can't stand boxer dogs so would never think it was cute. The child is usually nice in the ad but she comes across as annoying + maybe spoiled to me when she is cross with the dog for using her present.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 santry

appledrop wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the John Lewis ad this year. So many things wrong with it. Music usually brillant not this year.The father putting the trampoline together is just wrong. No child would get a present this big from their parents for Christmas it's something Santa would bring so wrecked that for any children doubting him. Also can't stand boxer dogs so would never think it was cute. The child is usually nice in the ad but she comes across as annoying + maybe spoiled to me when she is cross with the dog for using her present.

Yeah, I got asked why was her Dad putting the trampoline together, so I said it was probably because her birthday was so close to Christmas, and we were happy with that !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I thought it was fine as an advert, but agree with the sentiments of many above, its a let down in terms of being a Christmas advert, certainly based on previous offerings anyway.

I think JL have simply become victims of their own success in previous years after a run of genuinely clever & touching adverts... all good things come to an end as they say & after last years weak offering this years has IMO simply signaled that the JL crimbo advert has peaked & is on the way back to being 'just another advert'...

Then again, there's always next year...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Loughc wrote: »
    I love the Aldi ad!!! :D

I like the ad, it's cute and traditionally christmassey until the carrot that has now been given human qualities like a face is seen dangling over a lip licking reindeer. My daughter would be crying thinking the reindeer is going to eat the cute little magical carrot (different story if it was just a usual carrot). For this reason, I give it null points. Try harder Aldi.

screamer wrote: »
    I like the ad, it's cute and traditionally christmassey until the carrot that has now been given human qualities like a face is seen dangling over a lip licking reindeer. My daughter would be crying thinking the reindeer is going to eat the cute little magical carrot (different story if it was just a usual carrot). For this reason, I give it null points. Try harder Aldi.

Good God, you're harsh! Kids seem to be way more observant these days! I doubt I would have even thought that when I was a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

leahyl wrote: »
    Good God, you're harsh! Kids seem to be way more observant these days! I doubt I would have even thought that when I was a kid!

They are, well at least mine is, and she'd spot it in a second. It's not an ad that leaves you with a nice feeling, now the littlewods ad I love, very emotive music, imagery etc. Much better than Caroline Morahan dressed as Santas little helper and spouting on about next day delivery.........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ok - the Lidl ad is officially my favourite this year and most Christmassy so far...I very nearly shed a tear.

It's only on their Facebook page at the moment and I can't link to the specific post but it's the most recent one here: https://www.facebook.com/lidlireland/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

ETA here's the link to the FB post: https://www.facebook.com/lidlireland/videos/vb.135283849818481/1471654492848070/?type=3&theater

Oh god the Lidl one has me in tears!

Ah God Lidl one has me in floods of tears. Really hit home with me. If I'm understanding it correctly that is. Which I might not be after one quick watch.
    My gran lives with my parents and I know she'd love nothing more than to spend Christmas in the old homestead. She has Alzheimer’s though and it would be just too confusing for her. She wouldn't understand why my grandad wasn't there or why she had to leave again.

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    They are, well at least mine is, and she'd spot it in a second. It's not an ad that leaves you with a nice feeling, now the littlewods ad I love, very emotive music, imagery etc. Much better than Caroline Morahan dressed as Santas little helper and spouting on about next day delivery.........

Leaves me with a great feeling! But hey, we'll agree to disagree ;)

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Oh god the Lidl one has me in tears!

OMG I'm welling up! I love the traditional ads....this is just so clever and gets me right in the feels :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Just went onto the Lidl fb page.....now sitting here in work with the biggest lump in my throat trying not to cry!!!

Ah lads the LIDL ad.... can't cope :(

Great ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loving the Lidl one, thanks for posting. Aldi still winning for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was dying to watch the Lidl ad on the way home but, even though I have a heart of stone, I couldn't risk crying on the bus. One of my better decisions. I lost it at the end.

I haven't seen it yet!!

*hurry up train*

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Posy wrote:
    I haven't seen it yet!!

Posy wrote:
    *hurry up train*

I haven't seen it yet either!

Still stuck at work, can't wait to get home so I can watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Just uploading the Lidl Christmas Ad onto the thread.
    Love this one! Definitely pulls at the heart strings, and really hits home for me this year in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Ooohhh that's a good 'un! Lidl winning for me!

Advertisement