Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Adverts 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

If you have a kid in their last year of Santa and already with doubts they will pick up on the father putting up the present after the mother has put the child to bed. Young kids won't get it but for older kids with doubts this will at the very least add fuel to the fire of doubt in their mind. If they could just find a way to edit out those 5 seconds then that would be great. Its got trampolining animals. A few years ago they had a snowman come to life. Last year there was a old lad walking around the moon in his PJs. Would having the trampoline just appear in the garden without showing how it got there one way or the other really have been a step too far in the fantasy stakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭appledrop

Very disappointed with the John Lewis ad this year. So many things wrong with it. Music usually brillant not this year.The father putting the trampoline together is just wrong. No child would get a present this big from their parents for Christmas it's something Santa would bring so wrecked that for any children doubting him. Also can't stand boxer dogs so would never think it was cute. The child is usually nice in the ad but she comes across as annoying + maybe spoiled to me when she is cross with the dog for using her present.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 santry

appledrop wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the John Lewis ad this year. So many things wrong with it. Music usually brillant not this year.The father putting the trampoline together is just wrong. No child would get a present this big from their parents for Christmas it's something Santa would bring so wrecked that for any children doubting him. Also can't stand boxer dogs so would never think it was cute. The child is usually nice in the ad but she comes across as annoying + maybe spoiled to me when she is cross with the dog for using her present.

Yeah, I got asked why was her Dad putting the trampoline together, so I said it was probably because her birthday was so close to Christmas, and we were happy with that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I thought it was fine as an advert, but agree with the sentiments of many above, its a let down in terms of being a Christmas advert, certainly based on previous offerings anyway.

I think JL have simply become victims of their own success in previous years after a run of genuinely clever & touching adverts... all good things come to an end as they say & after last years weak offering this years has IMO simply signaled that the JL crimbo advert has peaked & is on the way back to being 'just another advert'...

Then again, there's always next year...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

Loughc wrote: »
    I love the Aldi ad!!! :D

I like the ad, it's cute and traditionally christmassey until the carrot that has now been given human qualities like a face is seen dangling over a lip licking reindeer. My daughter would be crying thinking the reindeer is going to eat the cute little magical carrot (different story if it was just a usual carrot). For this reason, I give it null points. Try harder Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

screamer wrote: »
    I like the ad, it's cute and traditionally christmassey until the carrot that has now been given human qualities like a face is seen dangling over a lip licking reindeer. My daughter would be crying thinking the reindeer is going to eat the cute little magical carrot (different story if it was just a usual carrot). For this reason, I give it null points. Try harder Aldi.

Good God, you're harsh! Kids seem to be way more observant these days! I doubt I would have even thought that when I was a kid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭screamer

leahyl wrote: »
    Good God, you're harsh! Kids seem to be way more observant these days! I doubt I would have even thought that when I was a kid!

They are, well at least mine is, and she'd spot it in a second. It's not an ad that leaves you with a nice feeling, now the littlewods ad I love, very emotive music, imagery etc. Much better than Caroline Morahan dressed as Santas little helper and spouting on about next day delivery.........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ok - the Lidl ad is officially my favourite this year and most Christmassy so far...I very nearly shed a tear.

It's only on their Facebook page at the moment and I can't link to the specific post but it's the most recent one here: https://www.facebook.com/lidlireland/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

ETA here's the link to the FB post: https://www.facebook.com/lidlireland/videos/vb.135283849818481/1471654492848070/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Oh god the Lidl one has me in tears!

Ah God Lidl one has me in floods of tears. Really hit home with me. If I'm understanding it correctly that is. Which I might not be after one quick watch.
    My gran lives with my parents and I know she'd love nothing more than to spend Christmas in the old homestead. She has Alzheimer’s though and it would be just too confusing for her. She wouldn't understand why my grandad wasn't there or why she had to leave again.

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    They are, well at least mine is, and she'd spot it in a second. It's not an ad that leaves you with a nice feeling, now the littlewods ad I love, very emotive music, imagery etc. Much better than Caroline Morahan dressed as Santas little helper and spouting on about next day delivery.........

Leaves me with a great feeling! But hey, we'll agree to disagree ;)

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Oh god the Lidl one has me in tears!

OMG I'm welling up! I love the traditional ads....this is just so clever and gets me right in the feels :(:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Just went onto the Lidl fb page.....now sitting here in work with the biggest lump in my throat trying not to cry!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah lads the LIDL ad.... can't cope :(

Great ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loving the Lidl one, thanks for posting. Aldi still winning for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was dying to watch the Lidl ad on the way home but, even though I have a heart of stone, I couldn't risk crying on the bus. One of my better decisions. I lost it at the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I haven't seen it yet!!

*hurry up train*

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Posy wrote:
    I haven't seen it yet!!

Posy wrote:
    *hurry up train*

I haven't seen it yet either!

Still stuck at work, can't wait to get home so I can watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Just uploading the Lidl Christmas Ad onto the thread.
    Love this one! Definitely pulls at the heart strings, and really hits home for me this year in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Ooohhh that's a good 'un! Lidl winning for me!

Ooooh... that's definitely my favourite this year!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Cant believe no one has mentioned the 3 christmas ad. The little girl and the cloud......its beautiful and hits you right in the feels.

Haven't seen it yet!

tunguska wrote: »
    Cant believe no one has mentioned the 3 christmas ad. The little girl and the cloud......its beautiful and hits you right in the feels.

Is that the one that was out a year or two ago?

M&S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭donegal_man

This is the sort of Christmas ad I like. Not the tear jerkers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The M&S ad is great!

Loughc wrote: »
    The M&S ad is great!

Isn't it? Really magical! And Mrs Claus is a badass!

M&S

Really enjoyed this one! Bringing back the magic of Christmas :D
    And the "50 Shades of Red" there at the end :P

Wouldn't be crazy about the TK Maxx one....but I love love love the M&S one....oh and it's not a tear jerker....but it is magical!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭matchthis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be crazy about the TK Maxx one....but I love love love the M&S one....oh and it's not a tear jerker....but it is magical!!

Really? I'm all snuffly and red eyed here! :o

The M&S one is their best in years.
    The TK Maxx is just odd but that's their thing
    The three one is great because it continues from last year and makes it really Christmassy
    The Lidl one is a real classic and tear jerker. It's the best of the year.

The John Lewis one is awful and set off the season poorly but everyone else has upped their game and this year is looking good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Bit late on this thread but definite fail for John Lewis if you ask me. Didn't like it at all although thought dog was adorable as have had boxers myself :)

I am loving Kevin the carrot ( Although slightly disturbed When he sees the half dwas cooked body of his fallen commerade beside the turkey :p ) and loving the response aldi brought out to the John Lewis add too !

Love the fake John Lewis add with the snowman . That one is very good and touching !

Favourite so far is M and S Mrs Claus. It reminded me of Mrs claus is Arthur christmas who like so many moms / women pull off christmas seemlessly from the background :) it was stylish funny and a bit tongue in cheek but also very accurate representation of most household ar christmas IMO :pac:

Loving the M&S ad can't wait to see it on the TV. Real Christmassy with Mr. & Mrs. CIaus. I actually did get a bit emotional watching it! It was very realastic the way the brother + sister were always fighting but deep down he loved her ahh.

Just saw the Macy's ad on YouTube. If the Lidl ad got to you this one is well worth a watch.

The Burberry ad is unbelievable. Not at all Christmassy but they must have spent millions on it.

touts wrote: »
    Just saw the Macy's ad on YouTube. If the Lidl ad got to you this one is well worth a watch.

Spotted it on Facebook the other day but couldn't for the life of me find it on YouTube!
    It's a lovely ad, up there with one of my favourites this year :)
    For those of you who haven't seen it yet...

Macy's Christmas Advert 2016 - #OldFriends

Really like the Macy Ad. I love the tear jeaker ads. Christmas is a happier time but also a sad time for most people when the remember loved ones who are no longer with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Another take on the John Lewis ad :)

Anther take on the John Lewis ad :)

Better than the actual ad!

• Advertisement

Waitrose - nice ad but not a Christmas winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Aw, I like the Waitrose one :) thanks for posting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

That's lovely! I never even thought about migratory robins because so many of them are resident. I'll be leaving some of my mince pies out for them in the next batch :-D

I think the Waitrose ad is stunning! Don't know why you don't think it's a good Christmas ad Alicat! I love robins anyway and I think this was a very clever concept :)

Everytime I see a robin I'm reminded of what I've heard Éanna Ní Lamhna say about them a few times. 'A more belligerent bird you could never meet' sums it up. She has no idea why they're always on Christmas cards. :D

The ad is stunning. It doesn't excite me though. I'd fast forward through it if it came on TV.

Everytime I see a robin I'm reminded of what I've heard Éanna Ní Lamhna say about them a few times. 'A more belligerent bird you could never meet' sums it up. She has no idea why they're always on Christmas cards. :D

The ad is stunning. It doesn't excite me though. I'd fast forward through it if it came on TV.

:eek: Really?! I'm surprised! But hey, different strokes for different folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Sainsburys - Vocals by James Corden

Ah Macy's had me all teary again.......on another point, does anyone think the guy that Santa winks at at 0:40 looks very like Enda Oates the Irish Actor?

Waitrose is nice - I love robins, but the robin in my garden is an all year robin so wouldn't automatically think of them migrating.

I love the Sainsbury's one...really well done.

leahyl wrote: »
    I think the Waitrose ad is stunning! Don't know why you don't think it's a good Christmas ad Alicat! I love robins anyway and I think this was a very clever concept :)

Oh no, it's lovely! It just doesn't beat the Lidl one for me as the best ad we've had this Christmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi Chuckles...I thought the same.......LOL...

Advertisement