Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bargain watch.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

akasudonim wrote: »
    OK, so now my plan's kinda in tatters. Taking our 3 kids to Austria in Jan, first time skiing for them, ages 15, 13, and 11. Was planning kitting them out with Lidl gear (ski gear in tomorrow) for their first time, as it may be their last too, though I think they'll love it.
    Everything's needed, from underwear to goggles. For me too, as it's been some years since I skiied and I need the full suite.
    So instead of Lidl, or in conjunction with some of Lidl gear (thermals & socks perhaps), any online recommendations that wont break the bank for x4 sets? Would there be value in the resorts themselves (I'm assuming not, captured audience etc.)
    Thanks.

Just take your kids into Lidl and get them the gear.

You'll be in a ski resort, there will be dozens of ski shops, all with bargain rails - if the worst comes to the worst, and any of the Lidl gear is unusable, then take them to one of those shops and get them some of last season's branded gear - it won't though, they will be absolutely fine in the Lidl stuff.

It's a calculated risk - your decision - do bear in mind, five posts up, Fattes was saying Lidl gear was terrible, now he's saying the base layer stuff is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Sorry dont know about the quality but this might help in giving a complete kit for a defined price.

http://www.sub32.com/product-category/ski-packs/credit-crunch-ski-pack/

Also worth checking on Amazon , you can be lucky and get a bargain but tends to be certain sizes/colours only

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Sorry dont know about the quality but this might help in giving a complete kit for a defined price.

Also worth checking on Amazon , you can be lucky and get a bargain but tends to be certain sizes/colours only

Very good value, especially with sterling being so low. I wonder do they deliver to private customers? The purchase form asks for the school name

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭akasudonim

cormee wrote: »
    Just take your kids into Lidl and get them the gear.

You'll be in a ski resort, there will be dozens of ski shops, all with bargain rails - if the worst comes to the worst, and any of the Lidl gear is unusable, then take them to one of those shops and get them some of last season's branded gear - it won't though, they will be absolutely fine in the Lidl stuff.

It's a calculated risk - your decision - do bear in mind, five posts up, Fattes was saying Lidl gear was terrible, now he's saying the base layer stuff is fine.

Was thinking exactly same, get Lidl, something fails then we can replace when there, no panic. Anyhow OH has now picked up the Lidl kit this morning - seems like everyone had the same plan, place was v busy.

hawkwind23 wrote: »

And very similar, seems good price....

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens-ski-package-2016-p15961.aspx/one

Note the same not available on their € website.

Was thinking exactly same, get Lidl, something fails then we can replace when there, no panic. Anyhow OH has now picked up the Lidl kit this morning - seems like everyone had the same plan, place was v busy.

They'll be grand with it, seriously. They will spend a lot of the week on nursery slopes, which tend to be right beside the resort, probably a few hundred metres away from the hotel/chalet - by the time they graduate to the higher slopes you'll have a much better idea of whether the Lidl gear is working out or not.

If I was taking my own kids on a ski holiday that's exactly what I'd be doing, and I definitely wouldn't put them at any unnecessary risk.

Also, go with the shades, instead of goggles, plan, as Fattes suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Also worth checking here

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/the-edge-kids-okemo-snow-jacket-p384333

They have a store in Belfast so you could drive up and check quality etc before buying , also a decathlon here.

The original post is open to all , not just schools , AFAIK you have to give the jackets back though , friend used them and said it was very good esp for a group of kids,

And very similar, seems good price....

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens-ski-package-2016-p15961.aspx/one

Note the same not available on their € website.

Great value alright. Use Parcel Motel if they won't ship their sterling-priced products to Ireland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Would you try adverts for the kids suits, especially if it's likely a one off trip (they'll grow out of them so quick). I've sold suits I've had as I bought better ones. Could save you a few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Got my 8 Year old Jacket, Trousers, Socks x 2, Bottom Base Layer x 2, Gloves and snow boots in Lidl today for €65. If its ****e thats not good enough, will just pick up stuff over there.. but for that price you can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 psydereyes

TK Max up in carrickmines seems to have a load of ski gear in. Was there today and got myself a very nice Atomic Jacket :)

Any children going skiing for the first time I would put them in the Lidl gear without a seconds thought. Grand for them. Was in Lidl earlier and have to say one of the ladies jacket (3 panel colours i think) looked great - not sure about specs etc but looked pretty sweet.... and sure thats half the battle ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Got my 8 Year old Jacket, Trousers, Socks x 2, Bottom Base Layer x 2, Gloves and snow boots in Lidl today for €65. If its ****e thats not good enough, will just pick up stuff over there.. but for that price you can't go wrong!

I got my 2 year old some things too. Not for skiing, but they'll be great for hiking and mucking about in crappy weather and snow.

Yep got all the gear there for the kids today. They tried it on tonight and looks good, some stuff to go back for size change, but great value. The excitement's great already, can't wait! There'll be plenty options there if something needs replacing anyhow. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bought a few more of the Crivit base layers today, had one since last year, they are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Anyone spot any good bargains for ski gear in Black Friday sales?

Also, Aldi have their ski range in store from Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Anyone spot any good bargains for ski gear in Black Friday sales?

Also, Aldi have their ski range in store from Sunday.

I've noticed of late that Aldi/Lidl puts their stock out early. Ski gear has been there a while now.

All the web stores I buy from have nothing I want.

Try www.blue-tomato.com or www.bergzeit.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Whitedot skis on SportPursuit at the minutes. UK mainland delivery only but I'm sure there are ways around that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Parcel Motel! Is your answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Top Flight giving a €200 Great Outdoors voucher if you book with them today.

If youve your eye on something with them this is great.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Eider, Volcom and Spyder in TK Maxx Carrickmines. Spyder stuff is their higher end jackets.

• Advertisement

Just getting my gear ready tonight, for my upcoming trip :D:D
    Had been having awful issues with headphones. so in my desperation I tried a pair of these:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorbike-Motorcycle-Helmet-Speakers-Earphone-Headphone-for-MP3-MP4-GPS-Cellphone-Mobilephone/32519219721.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.SbR4UH
    They fit my helmet perfectly and the sound is as good as the Skullcandy headphones they are replacing. Only issue I can see (pre the beating they will get on the slopes) is the volume control, very flimsy, and definitely not suited to wet gloves/mitts but I'm going to wrap it in tape and I've already ordered a clip-on Bluetooth receiver (it has a full set of controls) for them which f*n better arrive by Friday. The headphones are €3, the Bluetooth receiver is €36!
    Just thought I'd share the link, as I know others have the same issues I was having :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭charleville

Has anyone been into heatons for ski gear ?
    It's the same as sports direct but they have some half decent ski gear for cheap enough money in fairness

Has anyone been into heatons for ski gear ?
    It's the same as sports direct but they have some half decent ski gear for cheap enough money in fairness

Didn't realise they did it in store here. I have bought from Sports Direct and found them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

Guys, any advice on sizes for Aldi ski gear? I'm a S for canterbury base layers - would Aldi be similar? I got a S under Armour from america and it was too big for me! But I'm thinking of a M for the mid layer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

blue note wrote: »
    Guys, any advice on sizes for Aldi ski gear? I'm a S for canterbury base layers - would Aldi be similar? I got a S under Armour from america and it was too big for me! But I'm thinking of a M for the mid layer.

I'm a M in UA Euro sizing and Aldi base layers

53 Degrees North have a ski sale on:

http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/

Decent selection in store as well I believe

Advertisement