Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bargain watch.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Rew wrote: »
    Do Snow and Rock normally have a Ski gear sale annually? If so any ideas when it normally kicks in?

Normally around the start of March, but it is normally pretty poor until they start getting to low stock levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

TK Maxx starting to get gear in. One in Ilac Centre has a ton of Mountain Hardwear and Colombia down jackets which may suit some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

CardinalJ wrote: »
    TK Maxx starting to get gear in. One in Ilac Centre has a ton of Mountain Hardwear and Colombia down jackets which may suit some.

Yep Swords, has Spyder mid layers and jackets, Mountain Hardware stuff by the bucket load, especially puffer jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Also worth checking on Amazon for bargains.
    I get a lot of stuff from there , check both warehouse deals and brand labels selling old stock.
    I picked up a couple of eider jackets for £30 each and a nice trespass one for £20
    Tends to be oddball sizes for the cheaper options but you strike lucky now and then

edit: had a quick look myself , red eider jacket for women size medium £32

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eider-Aoraki-Womens-Jacket-Fabricant/dp/B00L7LCC2K/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1474360199&sr=8-41&keywords=eider%2Bski%2Bjackets&th=1&psc=1

Still have a load of cheap trespass jackets , 15k waterproof and 8k breathability for £30ish

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Loads of Gore-Tex in TK Maxx Stephens Green, Volcom and Okaley, and not just in XXXXXL sizes shockingly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Lidl have a load of ski gear coming in on 3/11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

cormee wrote: »
    Lidl have a load of ski gear coming in on 3/11

As a beginner (going skiing for first time in March) I'd be very interested to hear opinions of Lidl's ski gear from those with more experience.

Worth buying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

peejay1986 wrote: »
    As a beginner (going skiing for first time in March) I'd be very interested to hear opinions of Lidl's ski gear from those with more experience.

Worth buying?

not sure about Lidl stuff, but if looking to keep it cheap and still get good gear
    https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/eu/clearance/ski/

Worth buying?

Most, if not all, of it is going to meet a basic standard. If you're just starting out, and unsure of whether you are going to keep it up or not you could do worse than getting some of their gear. Then, if you do decide to continue, replace the Lidl stuff that you aren't happy with, as needs be.
    When I started out it was with a complete €100 set of gear from Capel Camping, it was fine for a year or two, and I built it up from that.
    The first year you probably won't be venturing beyond greens, blues and maybe an easy red, that's not going to put massive stress on the gear so you should be OK.
    I'm not suggesting for a second it would be suitable for an experienced skier/boarder who spends more time on trickier slopes.
    If you are starting out, by the way, invest in padding, certainly in the case of snowboarding, I don't ski so I'm not sure how important it is, but I'd imagine at the very least you should get wrist guards.

Worth buying?

It's terrible spend the extra 20-30 euro and go to TK MAXX! None of the lidil stuff is breathable so you will get wet from the inside out

• Advertisement

Fattes wrote: »
    It's terrible spend the extra 20-30 euro and go to TK MAXX! None of the lidil stuff is breathable so you will get wet from the inside out

I wore a pair of Lidl ski pants for most of a trip last year, after my own, far more expensive pants ripped, and they were absolutely perfect, almost as good as the pair that cost over ten times more. We were out in all conditions too, and there were no issues. I certainly didn't get wet from the inside out.

The button burst and the zip ripped after I took a fairly hard fall, but that was because they were a bit too small for me, as they weren't mine.

He can spend 20-30 more on each item though and get better quality, but by the time he's bought a full outfit he'll have spent at least €100 more, if that's not a concern then go for it, but there is always the risk he'll never ski again and have about €300 worth of gear he's only worn for 5 days sitting in the wardrobe.

The only thing they are selling, that I'd be dubious of (for someone on their first trip), would be the goggles.

I wore a pair of Lidl ski pants for most of a trip last year, after my own, far more expensive pants ripped, and they were absolutely perfect, almost as good as the pair that cost over ten times more. We were out in all conditions too, and there were no issues. I certainly didn't get wet from the inside out.

The button burst and the zip ripped after I took a fairly hard fall, but that was because they were a bit too small for me, as they weren't mine.

He can spend 20-30 more on each item though and get better quality, but by the time he's bought a full outfit he'll have spent at least €100 more, if that's not a concern then go for it, but there is always the risk he'll never ski again and have about €300 worth of gear he's only worn for 5 days sitting in the wardrobe.

The only thing they are selling, that I'd be dubious of (for someone on their first trip), would be the goggles.

What they sell is basically a black bag in terms of breath ability. Beginners tend to be on the warmest lowest slopes in resorts, they tend to exert more physical effort than more experienced holidaymakers. They spend more time, getting up walking and working harder than you or other regular snow sports participants.

The only basic snowsports kit that is not usable on a regular basis is the pants. Jacket and gloves are reusable every day in winter

Fattes wrote: »
    What they sell is basically a black bag in terms of breath ability. Beginners tend to be on the warmest lowest slopes in resorts, they tend to exert more physical effort than more experienced holidaymakers. They spend more time, getting up walking and working harder than you or other regular snow sports participants.

The only basic snowsports kit that is not usable on a regular basis is the pants. Jacket and gloves are reusable every day in winter

Regarding breathability - that doesn't tally with my experience, the pants were fine - no sweat or dampness. Have you ever worn them?
    Regarding effort - are you really trying to suggest that someone traveling at about 5-10k p/h on a nursery slope is using more physical effort than someone traveling at 50k + down a black or red slope, trying to keep control?
    Regarding wearing a ski jacket in day-to-day life - personally speaking, my gear goes in the closet in March and stays there until January. Even if I wasn't ever going to snowboard again I wouldn't, with all the pockets and zips they look silly anywhere but in a ski resort. I've used an old one for gardening in the past but that's it.

Anyway, I'm sure peejay1986 has enough information to make his decision, so I'm leaving it at that.

Regarding effort - are you really trying to suggest that someone traveling at about 5k p/h on a nursery slope is using more physical effort than someone traveling at 50k + down a black or red slope, trying to keep control?

Someone new to it will exert them selves because they aren't conditioned or experienced, their adrenaline will get going their body is trying to figure out what muscles to use, they will use brute force over technique.

I can get down any black handy enough but if Fattes and I did the same one I guarantee you I would exert my self more. I sweat way less now then I did on my first few trips.

Regarding breathability - that doesn't tally with my experience, the pants were fine - no sweat or dampness. Have you ever worn them?
    Regarding effort - are you really trying to suggest that someone traveling at about 5-10k p/h on a nursery slope is using more physical effort than someone traveling at 50k + down a black or red slope, trying to keep control?
    Regarding wearing a ski jacket in day-to-day life - personally speaking, my gear goes in the closet in March and stays there until January. Even if I wasn't ever going to snowboard again I wouldn't, with all the pockets and zips they look silly anywhere but in a ski resort. I've used an old one for gardening in the past but that's it.

Anyway, I'm sure peejay1986 has enough information to make his decision, so I'm leaving it at that.

Yeah and not me saying it, tons of research done about energy expended. When you are travelling at 50kph gravity and natural centrapidal and centrifugal forces make the movements easier on your muscle and skeletal system. Also again beginners areas tend to be at lower altitudes ad with warmer exposures. Beginners expend more physical force, expend more energy and are also more tense due to the Unknown. Normally the first 30 min of a ski board lesson you don't use a lift! They are walking up, The effort of getting themselves up on a flat slope say 4/5 times in a 3 hour lesson! Absolute bucket loads of industry research on it. It's not just my opinion, it is a well researched and proven reality.

Yes I have worn there kit, the max breath ability any of their kit had last year was 8,000mm per sq. it's a pretty exact scientific measurement of material breath ability! Industry Average is approx 10,000-12,000. Same with waterproofing. It makes a difference, if my father a man who loves Lidil and Aldi can notice the difference between his good kit and the stuff he bought there, that is the ultimate test! My dad is a big believer in sure that is just overpriced! However he wore also Gear once for a week and won't wear it again

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

OK, so now my plan's kinda in tatters. Taking our 3 kids to Austria in Jan, first time skiing for them, ages 15, 13, and 11. Was planning kitting them out with Lidl gear (ski gear in tomorrow) for their first time, as it may be their last too, though I think they'll love it.
    Everything's needed, from underwear to goggles. For me too, as it's been some years since I skiied and I need the full suite.
    So instead of Lidl, or in conjunction with some of Lidl gear (thermals & socks perhaps), any online recommendations that wont break the bank for x4 sets? Would there be value in the resorts themselves (I'm assuming not, captured audience etc.)
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

If you have time tomorrow go to Lidl and get your socks, gloves and thermals.
    Then go to TK Max and see what you can pick up. It's not as cheap as Lidl but tends to be much better quality kit. I got a pair of ski trousers last year for €39 and I've a Quicksilver jacket that wa less than €100 I think.
    Online is ok but sizes can be funny in ski gear, I've a small and a medium jacket that both fit perfectly from the same brand!

They had Spyder jackets in St Stephens Green TK Maxx for €99 today, 5k/10k breathability/waterproof

akasudonim wrote: »
    OK, so now my plan's kinda in tatters. Taking our 3 kids to Austria in Jan, first time skiing for them, ages 15, 13, and 11. Was planning kitting them out with Lidl gear (ski gear in tomorrow) for their first time, as it may be their last too, though I think they'll love it.
    Everything's needed, from underwear to goggles. For me too, as it's been some years since I skiied and I need the full suite.
    So instead of Lidl, or in conjunction with some of Lidl gear (thermals & socks perhaps), any online recommendations that wont break the bank for x4 sets? Would there be value in the resorts themselves (I'm assuming not, captured audience etc.)
    Thanks.

First off you won't need Goggles! You could get a week of blue skies and sunshine and never use them! If you really need them you can pick up really cheap ones in resort normally around 10 euro depending on where you are.

The base layers will be fine, from Aldi, especially the natural fibre ones, If it is the difference between a holiday and no holiday go for it! The teenagers will have or should have enough fun that they may not notice, or have the same issues as adults would in the gear.

Spyder! ewwww Good for Russians ;) There mid layers, base layers are excellent the tech specs on their outerwear kit is terrible. e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Fattes wrote:
    Spyder! ewwww Good for Russians There mid layers, base layers are excellent the tech specs on their outerwear kit is terrible. e

Haha. Ive a similar block about spyder. Few trips to Innsbruck airport where you see the Aeroflot flight just FULL of spyder gear.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Just take your kids into Lidl and get them the gear.

You'll be in a ski resort, there will be dozens of ski shops, all with bargain rails - if the worst comes to the worst, and any of the Lidl gear is unusable, then take them to one of those shops and get them some of last season's branded gear - it won't though, they will be absolutely fine in the Lidl stuff.

It's a calculated risk - your decision - do bear in mind, five posts up, Fattes was saying Lidl gear was terrible, now he's saying the base layer stuff is fine.

Sorry dont know about the quality but this might help in giving a complete kit for a defined price.

http://www.sub32.com/product-category/ski-packs/credit-crunch-ski-pack/

Also worth checking on Amazon , you can be lucky and get a bargain but tends to be certain sizes/colours only

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Sorry dont know about the quality but this might help in giving a complete kit for a defined price.

Also worth checking on Amazon , you can be lucky and get a bargain but tends to be certain sizes/colours only

Very good value, especially with sterling being so low. I wonder do they deliver to private customers? The purchase form asks for the school name

Just take your kids into Lidl and get them the gear.

You'll be in a ski resort, there will be dozens of ski shops, all with bargain rails - if the worst comes to the worst, and any of the Lidl gear is unusable, then take them to one of those shops and get them some of last season's branded gear - it won't though, they will be absolutely fine in the Lidl stuff.

It's a calculated risk - your decision - do bear in mind, five posts up, Fattes was saying Lidl gear was terrible, now he's saying the base layer stuff is fine.

Was thinking exactly same, get Lidl, something fails then we can replace when there, no panic. Anyhow OH has now picked up the Lidl kit this morning - seems like everyone had the same plan, place was v busy.

hawkwind23 wrote: »

And very similar, seems good price....

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens-ski-package-2016-p15961.aspx/one

Note the same not available on their € website.

Was thinking exactly same, get Lidl, something fails then we can replace when there, no panic. Anyhow OH has now picked up the Lidl kit this morning - seems like everyone had the same plan, place was v busy.

They'll be grand with it, seriously. They will spend a lot of the week on nursery slopes, which tend to be right beside the resort, probably a few hundred metres away from the hotel/chalet - by the time they graduate to the higher slopes you'll have a much better idea of whether the Lidl gear is working out or not.

If I was taking my own kids on a ski holiday that's exactly what I'd be doing, and I definitely wouldn't put them at any unnecessary risk.

Also, go with the shades, instead of goggles, plan, as Fattes suggested.

Also worth checking here

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/the-edge-kids-okemo-snow-jacket-p384333

They have a store in Belfast so you could drive up and check quality etc before buying , also a decathlon here.

The original post is open to all , not just schools , AFAIK you have to give the jackets back though , friend used them and said it was very good esp for a group of kids,

And very similar, seems good price....

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens-ski-package-2016-p15961.aspx/one

Note the same not available on their € website.

Great value alright. Use Parcel Motel if they won't ship their sterling-priced products to Ireland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Would you try adverts for the kids suits, especially if it's likely a one off trip (they'll grow out of them so quick). I've sold suits I've had as I bought better ones. Could save you a few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Got my 8 Year old Jacket, Trousers, Socks x 2, Bottom Base Layer x 2, Gloves and snow boots in Lidl today for €65. If its ****e thats not good enough, will just pick up stuff over there.. but for that price you can't go wrong!

Advertisement