Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dem cyclists all break de lights Joe!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Where I notice it most is on narrow roads like Frankfort Avenue

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Maxwell+Rd,+Dublin+6/@53.316005,-6.2669521,3a,60y,324.62h,83.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRhuzk9vzngwTpQ7Si3b4Ng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670c0168d103cf:0xba8a9b42c4efac9e!8m2!3d53.3175626!4d-6.2669223

or Maxwell Road, where I'll signal and draw in to one of the few gaps between parking spaces to allow a car or cars to pass. (It's not necessary to do so; it would only take a few seconds longer for them to wait behind me. I'm just being kind when I do this.)

The universal reaction is for the driver to whizz by me, certainly not flashing a 'thanks', and staring straight ahead, not even bothering to look at the person who has just inconvenienced herself to allow them to speed through.

I find it really, really rude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So is cycling with two hands on the handlebars.

One armed people are banned from cycling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

*The Ninja cyclist*- I normally spend more time on the bike than the car but so happens I was in the car last night.

Came across this force that seemed to blend in with the surrounding environment (darkness) and distorted the space around itself as it moved, on closer inspection it was a well trained ninja cyclist demonstrating amazing kerb hopping and road mounting skill. All dressed in black, black backpack, black bike, black wheels... no reflectors, no lights. It was only when he turned sideways and I caught the whites of his eyes that I spotted him.

In future wear black contacts mister Ninja cyclist to achieve ultimate invisibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

But you spotted him all the same. Well done that cyclist for having such dreamy healthy eyes.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But you spotted him all the same. Well done that cyclist for having such dreamy healthy eyes.

Unlucky for him ... har har! i'm sure he would have evaded many!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    I'm amazed at the way drivers who flash hazards in thanks to each other for help don't do the same to cyclists. Amazed.
    i've had motorists do this for me.

i've had motorists do this for me.

+1 me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'll signal and draw in to one of the few gaps between parking spaces to allow a car or cars to pass. (It's not necessary to do so; it would only take a few seconds longer for them to wait behind me. I'm just being kind when I do this.)

The universal reaction is for the driver to whizz by me, certainly not flashing a 'thanks', and staring straight ahead, not even bothering to look at the person who has just inconvenienced herself to allow them to speed through.

I've noticed this as well. It's not that they never thank you, but when I occasionally drive, it's very noticeable how much more drivers thank you for courtesies.

However, I get thanked all the time (little waves and little raise of the finger off the steering wheel) when on the bakfiets. I guess it's like half a car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I always attempt to give a thumbs up or a polite wave when someone lets me across them or clearly slows to facilitate me. Nearly always gets a nod, wave or smile back. Doesn't slow or harm anyone. It is just nice to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Some people get quite indignant.

I really wonder what kind of logic a person possesses when they shout "i can't see you" at someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭josip

One armed people are banned from cycling?

Not banned, but they'd need the bike modified slightly to be able to use it with confidence.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bike-brakes-for-people-with-one-hand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Some people get quite indignant.

I really wonder what kind of logic a person possesses when they shout "i can't see you" at someone.

A coworker got pulled alongsode one night by an irate motorist for not being able to see him without Hi Vis on. Apparently his fairly decent Cateye lights were not enough. He did ask how was he able to pull over to give out to him if he couldn't see him to let him know he was invisible. The driver just huffed and went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It happened to me once. I was told I was very hard to see and needed a yellow jacket. I was pulling a trailer with white reflective stripes and red reflectors, nice and low down for dipped headlights) with a Smart Lunar R1 mounted at the back, white wrist lights and a strong Cateye headlight at the front. The driver clearly saw me from way back on the road, because I could hear her slow down and change lane way back (I was going straight on, and she was turning left; I think me being "in the middle of the road" was really what bothered her).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CramCycle wrote: »
    I always attempt to give a thumbs up or a polite wave when someone lets me across them or clearly slows to facilitate me. Nearly always gets a nod, wave or smile back. Doesn't slow or harm anyone. It is just nice to be nice.
    i have been known to take the primary position on windy roads, and pull in when there's a clear overtaking opportunity - and give a signal which i suppose means '*now* you can overtake'.

generally speaking, i'll pull in specifically for tractors and the like on country roads when i get a chance, as they simply don't have the acceleration to overtake even when the road ahead is clear - i usually do get a wave or a flash as thank you for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

jon1981 wrote: »
    *The Ninja cyclist*All dressed in black, black backpack, black bike, black wheels... no reflectors, no lights.

Here's an anecdote about Ninja cyclists, I hope you enjoy it.

My girlfriend and I were walking home from a pub near Harold's Cross one dark winter evening and as we were crossing the road we just about noticed a black-clad cyclist with no lights whizzing towards us. As it happened I had recently told my girlfriend about how such cyclists are referred to as "Ninja cyclists", so as this particular Ninja whizzed by my girlfriend pronounced, loudly enough for the cyclist to hear, "Oh, ninja cyclist!"

It was only as the words had left her mouth, and the cyclist was within touching distance of us, that we noticed he was, in fact, Asian (and probably Japanese).

Alas, there was no time for us to explain to him that we were not simply being casual racists, for he disappeared into the black night as quickly as he had emerged from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Moflojo wrote: »
    Here's an anecdote about Ninja cyclists, I hope you enjoy it.

for he disappeared into the black night as quickly as he had emerged from it.

https://xkcd.com/417/

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

CramCycle wrote: »

I do too and sometimes even when somebody doesn't just blatantly cut across me. As well as acknowledging the moment, I think it also helps put cyclists in people's minds and make them (and others who see it) that little bit more aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

prinzeugen wrote: »

Love it!

(Shame about all the hi-viz in the later photos, but that's another story.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

NiallBoo wrote: »

In fairness, there are some people that you only see when they cross in front of a light source

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Another thing I notice is motorists driving almost at the kerb, presumably with the intention of stopping cyclists filtering. Had one this morning at Castleknock, but a while back I had someone stay left, then deliberately veer right to try stop me passing them.

Milltown Road, coming down the hill from Dartry, on my way to work. Drives me crazy.
    It isn't deliberate, it's cars are turning right at the bottom of the hill so they overtake all the way down, and the cars going straight pull in to give them more room, but they don't leave any room for bikes on the inside, some of them are practically on the path...

RayCun wrote: »
    Milltown Road, coming down the hill from Dartry, on my way to work. Drives me crazy.
    It isn't deliberate, it's cars are turning right at the bottom of the hill so they overtake all the way down, and the cars going straight pull in to give them more room, but they don't leave any room for bikes on the inside, some of them are practically on the path...

Yeah, you're better off to cut into the park just before the Nine Arches and go straight through to Clonskeagh (if that's where you're going to).

Yeah, you're better off to cut into the park just before the Nine Arches and go straight through to Clonskeagh (if that's where you're going to).

that section of the path along the Dodder, behind the Dropping Well pub, is not mixed-use :)

that section of the path along the Dodder, behind the Dropping Well pub, is not mixed-use :)

Really? Didn't realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Now ye are just reminding me of my old days when I lived in Milltown:(

Really? Didn't realise that.

the other side of the river is, and the section from Dundrum Road to Clonskeagh, and the section beside Dartry park is, but Milltown Road to Dundrum Road on the north of the river isn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

So it you were a teacher you wouldn't know which group was which at a quick glance, and if you were a child who fell behind you could end up running after the wrong group.
    Ah sure they're just kids, same difference. So long as you leave with the right number.

the other side of the river is, and the section from Dundrum Road to Clonskeagh, and the section beside Dartry park is, but Milltown Road to Dundrum Road on the north of the river isn't...

Ah, ok, so you just have to go in at the entrance near North House or at the Dropping Well, cross the river and off you go to Clonskeagh, with a brief trip to the surface at the Unnamed Metal Bridge.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

High viz chat moved to the high viz thread

• Advertisement

Ah, ok, so you just have to go in at the entrance near North House or at the Dropping Well, cross the river and off you go to Clonskeagh, with a brief trip to the surface at the Unnamed Metal Bridge.

all along here
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3086286,-6.259157/53.30802,-6.2544205/53.3104811,-6.2479303/@53.3085131,-6.2546036,17z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2
    including the bit behind the Dropping Well where the path doesn't show up, is not shared use

Advertisement