Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dem cyclists all break de lights Joe!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Roadhawk wrote:
    "GARDAÃ HAVE CAUGHT 24 times more motorists than cyclists breaking red lights so far this year in Dublin."... now we need to ask if there are 24 times more cars than cyclists.

No, we need to ask are Gardai more likely to pull a motorist or cyclist they see breaking a light.

I've seen plenty of cyclists breaking lights in front of the Gardai with seemingly complete impunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

As I expected they have no figures on pedestrians caught illegally breaking red lights, by far the most common offence by road users that I see. I have seen people do it dangerously outside trinity college in full view of 4-5 gardai at the same light and they do absolutely nothing.

But sure I suppose nobody cares as pedestrians are "one of us", gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Chuchote wrote: »
    I have seen a garda waiting and pouncing on cyclists (and also on drivers) in front of Trinity day after day, and he's taking names and addresses.

/anecdotal evidence

You anecdotal evidence seems to conflict with the number of convictions resulting from such actions. Re-enforcing what I said

Or maybe all the cyclists live at 123 Fakestreet?

You decide which sounds more plausible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

You anecdotal evidence seems to conflict with the number of convictions resulting from such actions. Re-enforcing what I said.

sorry mate, you're putting 2 and 2 together and getting squirrels.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    sorry mate, you're putting 2 and 2 together and getting squirrels.

say whaaaaat?

If there is a ngaaarda pouncing on people breaking the lights at trinity he would be able to account for the entire 54 convictions in just the one day

He'd be able to get more than that from me alone as I've broken the lights there every second or third morning easily

so put that squirrel in your pipe and smoke it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Sure, because every Garda would believe Fakestreet and would not consider using their powers to seize the bike if they don't get adequate ID from the cyclist.
    MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    No, we need to ask are Gardai more likely to pull a motorist or cyclist they see breaking a light.

I've seen plenty of cyclists breaking lights in front of the Gardai with seemingly complete impunity.
    I've seen plenty of motorists breaking lights, speeding, driving on the phone in front of Gardai with seemingly complete immunity.

Sure, because every Garda would believe Fakestreet and would not consider using their powers to seize the bike if they don't get adequate ID from the cyclist.

I've seen plenty of motorists breaking lights, speeding, driving on the phone in front of Gardai with seemingly complete immunity.

Which sounds more plausible?

Do you understand what that word means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

You anecdotal evidence seems to conflict with the number of convictions resulting from such actions. Re-enforcing what I said

Where is the list of convictions, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭josip

My Dissociative Identify Disorder worsens daily.
    I cycle to work 2-3 times a week.
    I drive to work 2-3 times a week.
    I browse the cycling forum.
    I browse the motors forum.
    When I cycle, all the motorists are out to get me and I tut tut other cyclists without lights/at traffic lights
    When I drive, all the cyclists are suicidal and I tut tut the motorists at traffic lights and roundabouts.

There are occasional pleasant interactions with the motorist/cyclist and briefly I feel that we're all commuters on a shared journey with a lot in common.
    But these occasions are rare, like the morning sun flitting between the clouds and it quickly becomes overcast once more.
    Every day I ask myself, was it always like this and I was just oblivious to it?

Never seen that myself.
    Sure you're not just making stuff up?

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »
    Where is the list of convictions, please?

Too much of a stretch to think that those records refer to convictions/fines etc?

I mean, there's hardly less than 54 fines etc thrown out for breaking a red light in the whole year?

or if there are, they aren't going into dem records

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,982 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

so put that squirrel in your pipe and smoke it

Do you understand what that word means?
    Please post in a civil manner, or don't post at all

Any questions, PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Thanks

Never seen that myself.

I could ask you the same question. But seriously, do you reckon that these drivers who routinely blow through red lights checked to see if there was a Garda car round the corner or a Garda standing round the corner before they blew through the lights?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

rubadub wrote: »
    As I expected they have no figures on pedestrians caught illegally breaking red lights, by far the most common offence by road users that I see. I have seen people do it dangerously outside trinity college in full view of 4-5 gardai at the same light and they do absolutely nothing.
    because i suspect most gardai don't regard it as serious enough to have to go to the trouble of filling out the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Amanda Brunker: 'I've narrowly avoided killing three cyclists already this week - when will they wise up?'

http://www.independent.ie/life/city-cycling/amanda-brunker-ive-narrowly-avoided-killing-three-cyclists-already-this-week-when-will-they-wise-up-35120681.html

Seems to be trendy to hate cyclists at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

On Dame St this morning, 2 gardai on motorbikes were pulling in cyclists that went thru red lights.
    Asking for proof of id and handing over what looks like a fine.
    Saw them pull in at least 3 cyclists in a 20 min period.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

because i suspect most gardai don't regard it as serious enough to have to go to the trouble of filling out the paperwork.

I think it is since they have a blinkered view, maybe some of them are not even aware it is agains the law, wouldn't be the first time I heard of gardai ignorant of the law.

These people were crossing in a very dangerous manner, it is certainly more serious than some offences I have seen people pulled up for. The laws are there to prevent certain actions from happening, but many fairly benign acts will also fall under these laws. It makes sense that gardai will ignore many illegal acts, but I think I have only heard of one case of someone fined for illegally crossing a road in this country.

I could ask you the same question. But seriously, do you reckon that these drivers who routinely blow through red lights checked to see if there was a Garda car round the corner or a Garda standing round the corner before they blew through the lights?

What's that got to do with what you originally posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Roadhawk wrote: »
    "GARDAÍ HAVE CAUGHT 24 times more motorists than cyclists breaking red lights so far this year in Dublin."...
    now we need to ask if there are 24 times more cars than cyclists.

Maybe not cars but there can be 3 people driving the one car at different times!

Gardai don' t put the same effort into catching bikes because they are less dangerous

What's that got to do with what you originally posted?

It shows how routine and endemic red light breaking by motorists has become. It happens at every junction at every change of lights. But some people have selective vision, and only see the cyclist scooting round the corner but never see the car/van/truck/bus blowing through the red lights as the pedestrians cross.

Your suggestion that this never happens in front of Gardai doesn't hold much water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Dem cars do it too of course shock

(3 in first 8 seconds!)

ad infinitum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

So...what happens if a tandem breaks a red light? Who gets done?

It shows how routine and endemic red light breaking by motorists has become. It happens at every junction at every change of lights. But some people have selective vision, and only see the cyclist scooting round the corner but never see the car/van/truck/bus blowing through the red lights as the pedestrians cross.

OK, so nothing to do with what you originally posted.
    Just another goalpost move.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I really hope that taxi in the last video was reported.

OK, so nothing to do with what you originally posted.
    Just another goalpost move.

You asked the question.
    Never seen that myself.

I answered it. It's not my problem if you don't like the answer.

You asked the question.

Nope, this is what you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Amanda Brunker: 'I've narrowly avoided killing three cyclists already this week - when will they wise up?'

http://www.independent.ie/life/city-cycling/amanda-brunker-ive-narrowly-avoided-killing-three-cyclists-already-this-week-when-will-they-wise-up-35120681.html

Seems to be trendy to hate cyclists at the moment.

She doesn't suggest that these cyclists not using lights, high vis or helmets were doing so after lighting up hours. She effectively implies it of course, but since she doesn't at any point state it you wonder if she is happy for assumptions to make a story where one does not necessarily exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sorry if this is OT but a quick question not really worth starting a new thread for, what's the law (or is there one) on cycling the wrong way on a cycle lane? Or can anyone basically cycle any direction on any of the lanes? I would have assumed you should be going in the direction of the traffic flow?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nope, this is what you posted.

That's because you said the following

To which he said he's seen plenty of cars also ignored by Gardai.

Then you kept arguing or saying the topic was being changed when it was you doing it

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote:
    To which he said he's seen plenty of cars also ignored by Gardai.

Yeah, well I simply don't believe that to be credible.

Advertisement