Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dem cyclists all break de lights Joe!

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Chuchote wrote: »
    And to give risks, as in drivers not giving as much room to cyclists who have helmets on.
    Yup, same thing happening, it alters our unconscious appraisal of risk.

It's very much an instinctive thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so we need to make cycling as risky as possible, to make people behave as safely as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

so we need to make cycling as risky as possible, to make people behave as safely as possible.

Or perhaps make it risky to cars? Ben-Hur spiked wheels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

If it saves one life...

Yes.. Burst the tires of a car carrying kids..

Very mature..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Moflojo wrote:
    TheJournal.ie has been one of the few sensible & balanced media outlets reporting on cycling issues in the recent past and should be commended for it. While most news sites ran with "Car Ban proposed on the Quays!" last week, The Journal framed the story in a positive light, focusing on how a proposed route for the Liffey cycleway had been agreed.
    Didn't I see an Una Mullaly contribution about someone who nearly hit her on a footpath? God she's a cretin.

• Advertisement

NiallBoo wrote: »
    It's a phenomenon that occurs with all safety equipment. Perception of safety increases our willingness to take risks.

We're great we are.

That's rubbish. As someone that uses pesticides & chainsaws, we were taught not to take risks and pretend we are doing jobs without PPE.

You take extra care for your own safety that way.

And if you are safe, the public is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

This thread was gone nicely ironic for a couple of pages there.

It was the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

prinzeugen wrote: »
    That's rubbish. As someone that uses pesticides & chainsaws, we were taught not to take risks and pretend we are doing jobs without PPE.

yes, you are taught to do it that way but the phenomenon still creeps in anyway

yes, you are taught to do it that way but the phenomenon still creeps in anyway

How many red lights did you break to get the Strava bits??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

How many red lights did you break to get the Strava bits??

0, I've reported several segments that have lights on them though, make you feel better?

But then again I also don't wear any PPE when spraying herbicide or pesticide so maybe it all balances out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Very mature..

Eh, how in the name of God did you conclude that, from the following sequence of posts?!
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    I know they're not required by law, but surely five-point harnesses are a no-brainer?
    If it saves one life...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

You take extra care for your own safety that way.

And if you are safe, the public is safe.

Erm yes. What you've described is training aimed at counteracting the problem I mentioned.

The "pretend we our doing our jobs without ppe" is your key there. It's an attempt. To trick our brains into not changing our risk assessment based on the presence of ppe.

If you thought I was saying "safety equipment doesn't work at all", I wasn't.

I was saying that it's an observed and repeated psychological observation that safety equipment doesn't increase safety as much as it should.

(Though it is possible that safety equipment could make you less safe, if it's much, much less effective than its perceived to be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Very mature..

Wouldj'ever have sense? Clearly the suggestion "Ben-Hur spiked wheels" was not a serious engineering proposal :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Chuchote wrote: »
    ...the suggestion "Ben-Hur spiked wheels" was not a serious engineering proposal...

Ahh FFS... </turns off welding torch>

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

NiallBoo wrote: »
    It's a phenomenon that occurs with all safety equipment. Perception of safety increases our willingness to take risks.

We're great we are.
    I would call it sense rather than view it as some phenomenon. The problem comes when people increase the risk dramatically without knowing, which is probably what you are getting at. e.g. someone moutainbikes fairly carefully, and has a 0.1% chance of being injured on his ride, a recognised and accepted risk on his part. Then puts on loads of safety gear, thinks he is hugely safer and gauges the risk incorrectly and thinks he has the same 0.1% risk of injury but in fact his new recklessness has caused it to risen 3 fold. It could happen the other way around too of course, he could increase how reckless he cycles but lower his risk of injury.
    Or make it appear risky, one study showing drivers passed cyclists closer who wore helmets also gave women far more room. So the suggestion was to wear a helmet, which was disguised by a long blonde wig, so you benefit from both effects (or just wear the wig if you believe helmets could increase your risk of harm). I would also be pretty sure they could give more room if you had a child in a bike seat on the back, so you could get a doll.

Motorcyclists wear those fake "polite" police jackets presumably hoping people will take more care.

I remember in school when shin pads became popular, increase in injuries as people went in for hard tackles, just like the motorists passing closer. Same happened when hurling helmets became popular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,906 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've read reports that bare knuckle boxing is safer than gloved boxing, for several reasons; one is that boxing gloves are heavy and can thus increase the amount of energy contained in a punch; second that you're not going to punch as hard for fear of damaging your own hand; and thirdly, damage is much more likely to be seen on the face/head, thus leading to blood injury and a greater likelihood the bout (if refereed, obviously) will be ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I shall do my bit for the cartopian society :)

Advertisement