Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Can't you? Seems a good stab to me.

Thought for a minute I was looking at the wrong record. Yes mickmackey, I've had another squint and would agree with 'melancholia' all right, would you go along with me on 'Asphyxia - Strangulation' as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Can't see that at all, lottpaul.

I think its "melencholia" on the cert -- looking at it from a distance rather than up close it seemed an option - and may match the circumstances of the death too

It seems to read -asphyxia, strangulation, melencholia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thought for a minute I was looking at the wrong record. Yes mickmackey, I've had another squint and would agree with 'melancholia' all right, would you go along with me on 'Asphyxia - Strangulation' as well?
    No doubt about the first two, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Melancholia wouldn't be unlikely given the strangulation and asphyxiation unfortunately.
    I'd guess it's more likely self inflicted than anything to do with the War of Independence.
    (Armchair Jessica Fletcher :o)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

josip wrote: »
    Melancholia wouldn't be unlikely given the strangulation and asphyxiation unfortunately.
    I'd guess it's more likely self inflicted than anything to do with the War of Independence.
    (Armchair Jessica Fletcher :o)

That's the impression I got too, together with the 'body found by'. I suppose today they would call it depression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

spurious wrote: »
    That's the impression I got too, together with the 'body found by'. I suppose today they would call it depression.

Agreed, today I'd guess it'd be classed as PTSD or perhaps 'clinical depression'. Looking at Wiki the latter is believed to be mostly caused by biological factors, and some may have inherited the disorder. Sometimes stressful situations can trigger episodes of melancholic depression, though this is a contributing cause rather than a necessary or sufficient cause, so the War of Ind. could indeed have been a trigger.

One will frequently encounter ‘melancholia’ as a cause of death when researching a Register from a district that contains a Workhouse or Mental Hospital (e.g. Clonmel No.1). Usually those death entries are sequential, registered ‘en bloc’, sometimes monthly. If an inmate dies ‘young’ for no apparent reason, the cause of death often is given by the institution as “Exhaustion of melancholia, X years certified.”

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Thanks everyone for weighing in, 'melancholia' really puts the 'asphyxia strangulation' into context :( Daniel was a shepherd, aged somewhere between 57 and 63, and had a wife and fourteen children. The second eldest is my direct ancestor- she was married and had her three children at this point; Daniel's youngest child was 15. I'll check out the local newspapers when I can to see if I can get some background.
    Thanks again all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Anyone like to take a stab at where this Rev John Purcell is from? Record is from St Audoen's in Dublin City.

Parish of ?

397492.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

St Andrews?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Oooh, good call...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Help required in deciphering the cause of death on the 2nd death record,

Male, married, (age) 170 :), ???, Angela (should be Amelia/Amy) McGrath daughter, present at death, Farran.

Thx

I can't help with any of the difficult parts I'm afraid.

Acute Staph?
    Sulla ??? ear/air?

Many thanks,

Forgot to include "farmer" and the last word under cause of death is probably "cert" as in certified.

montgo wrote: »
    Many thanks,

Forgot to include "farmer" and the last word under cause of death is probably "cert" as in certified.

On phone so Excuse brevity. Acute phthysis uvula paralysis. Cert.

Well done, Pedro.

Many thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the age, rather than 170, is 1 y.o. - could it be?

On phone so Excuse brevity. Acute phthysis uvula paralysis. Cert.

Mnhfdjf.png

Would conflict with being a married farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I don't think he would have been a married farmer at 1 year old.

This is a case of the registrar mishearing; seventeen, then correcting it to seventy, and forgetting to delete the "1".

Acute phthysis uvula paralysis. Cert.

Cert for medically certified is certain, but I don't think it is pthisis. Paralysis woud not be associated with pthisis (TB).

It might perhaps be Acute Pharingitis, ...... paralysis. Cert.

The third word was probably something on the medical certificate that the registrar could not read, and took a guess, writing a word that does not exist.

It was quite possible for people to die from pharyngitis before antibiotics. Two of my people died of laryngitis at 29, and tonsilitis at 28. These organs swell up and ultimately choke the person to death, like slow strangulation, the victim gasping for breath, becoming weaker and weaker, until their last.

• Advertisement

How about 'sudden' paralysis?

How about 'sudden' paralysis?

Could be.

tabbey wrote: »
    Cert for medically certified is certain, but I don't think it is pthisis. Paralysis woud not be associated with pthisis (TB).

It might perhaps be Acute Pharingitis, ...... paralysis. Cert.

TB could easily lead to throat infection IMO hence the match with the uvula paralysis. However, I think you are right; pharyngitis and uvula paralysis would seem to go together as the pharynx is next to the uvula. The paralysis occurs during the onset of diphtheria, a disease located in the throat. Livestock are a carrier of diphtheria, so that matches the ‘farmer’ occupation. Also the age of the victim (70 in 1945) would make it unlikely he had been immunised.

Amazing what geno makes one learn: I've no medical training but I did some 'disease research' when putting together notes on a half third cousin eight times removed who was an early supporter and practitioner of inoculation long before Jenner was credited with it!

Have a look at the birth for Maurice Power on 31 December 1872.

Confirmation of the father's name and the informant pls? By the way, Maurice was baptised on 28 December, 1972:)

Father Thomas. I'd only be guessing at the informant.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

I'm seeing Father as Thomas also and Denis as the first name of informant. It also looks like same surname as father?

The father's first name looks like Thomas to me but his name was actually James. The informant's name could be Denis but it has what appears to be father underneath!!
    thanks

Father - Thomas Power, Pallas.
    Informant - Denis Power Father Pallas.

The 14th January 1873 was a Tuesday - maybe the Registrar was still hung over?

:)
    That makes at least 3 errors on the birth cert! He or the informant were having a bad day....

• Advertisement

montgo wrote: »
    :)
    That makes at least 3 errors on the birth cert! He or the informant were having a bad day....

Could all of those have been transcription errors from the original parish record?

Advertisement