Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Dyer?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Mez1982 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what the surname that I have circled might be?
    I see a y e r. I have no idea what the first letter is..

Without seeing more of the handwriting on the page, and without knowing where and what denomination is involved, it is difficult to speculate.

I do not think it starts with B, as this letter appears in the name to the left. I don't think it is D either, H or K seems more like it. Perhaps there should be another letter hidden in the fold of the page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What county is it from? You could check the 1901 census and see if any of the possibilities are more likely than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

oceanclub wrote: »
    There's a record of a James Moloney baptism here, but I note there have been notes on marriage after & before the entry which I wonder are of interest?

http://i.imgur.com/wy7JzT5.png

The top one looks like "Married Newport February 1921", while the bottom reads "Married <something> <something> 1916". Anyone hazard a guess which entry is associated with James and what the missing words are (if it's that entry)?

P.

I think the notes are under the names as the next entry seems to overlay the notes. It does not appear that there is any additional entry on the James (initial?) Paul Moloney and Louise Wixted

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The first entry on the left hand page is for the baptism of Mary D??? daughter of Farrell Sheridan and Rose Hannon.
    Can anyone tell me what they think Mary's second name is?
    Would it be Delia?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Hermy wrote: »
    The first entry on the left hand page is for the baptism of Mary D??? daughter of Farrell Sheridan and Rose Hannon.
    Would it be Delia?

Delia is the only name I can think of that would match that spelling (Diliam)

Yeah, I can't think of anything else it could be but elsewhere she appears to be referred to as Mary Josephine or Mary Josephine Angel so I wondered could I somehow be misreading Diliam for something else.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

I have uploaded the full page, Could it be a mis spelling of Kerr? The parish is Kinnegad.

Which entry? Right or left page?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

Apologies, It is the 2nd entry on the top left. I have it circled lightly. It is Cath Clancy and the parents are Edward Clancy and Bid ???

• Advertisement

No my apologies - I hadn't noticed the circle.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm seeing K-y-e-t which probably doesn't help.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Would it be Delia?

I'd go with Delia also (Deliam) but I think Farrell is incorrect - I think the downstroke is a 'g' and it should be 'Fergal' (Fergalli).....although Fergal/Fergil usually is Virgilus in Latin.

I'm reasonably certain based on other info that the father is Farrell Francis Sheridan though I'd agree with you that it looks much more like Fergal in that record. A transcribed record from Ireland, Selections of Catholic Parish Marriages and Banns, 1742-1884 gives his name as Fergallum whereas the marriage notice in The Nation gives his name as Farrell.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I'm reasonably certain based on other info that the father is Farrell Francis Sheridan though I'd agree with you that it looks much more like Fergal in that record. A transcribed record from Ireland, Selections of Catholic Parish Marriages and Banns, 1742-1884 gives his name as Fergallum whereas the marriage notice in The Nation gives his name as Farrell.

Farrell is an anglicised version of Fearghal/Feargal/Fergal.

As for Latin versions, there were almost as many latin spellings/dialects, as there were RC priests using Latin.

tabbey wrote: »
    Farrell is an anglicised version of Fearghal/Feargal/Fergal.

Ah, I did not know that. Thanks tabbey.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I have 2 here I'd appreciate a look at:

1) William Walsh:

http://i.imgur.com/FWhz1T4.png

"Date and Place of Birth" August the something, in something Place? (in Dun Laoghaire - looks like Nulty's?)

2) Catherine Walsh:

http://i.imgur.com/t1lGmFp.jpg

Unclear birth date - October the something?

Thanks,

P.

1) August Thirty Nulty's Court

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I have 2 here I'd appreciate a look at:

1) William Walsh:

http://i.imgur.com/FWhz1T4.png

"Date and Place of Birth" August the something, in something Place? (in Dun Laoghaire - looks like Nulty's?)

2) Catherine Walsh:

http://i.imgur.com/t1lGmFp.jpg

Unclear birth date - October the something?

Thanks,

P.

residence on the first one looks like Nulty's Court - mentioned here as off Cumberland St.

date for the second looks like the sixth

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Would anyone care to look at the attached register and please tell me what they think are the names of the two men. The marriage is 4th February 1871, its the last one on the right page when you open the link. I would just like to have a second opinion. Thanks.
    http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632225#page/90/mode/1up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

hblock21 wrote: »
    Would anyone care to look at the attached register and please tell me what they think are the names of the two men. The marriage is 4th February 1871, its the last one on the right page when you open the link. I would just like to have a second opinion. Thanks.
    http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632225#page/90/mode/1up

If you pop down to the next page and look on the left side it is helpful. This is all I can manage: ? James Cooney and Revd. ?? Dronysius O'Brien. Am I
    looking at the wrong record?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Yes your looking at the wrong record.
    Its the 4th Feb. Mcgrath and Mary Kiely . Sponsors Cleary and Bridget Quinlan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Hard to notice that it is actually a record. I'm just wild guessing at it now which is useless to you. On top of that I've no Latin to speak of either! Sorry, giving up.

Another one please!

http://i.imgur.com/giIOhsm.png

Looks like residences are "Clonmel Asylum" and "Irishtown Clonmel" respectively?

Fathers' jobs are "Farmer" and "Carpenter"?

The ones I'm having real difficulty with are the witnesses: William Brett and Bridget Leary, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Boscod

Looking for help with the attached note from a baptism register. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Another one please!

http://i.imgur.com/giIOhsm.png

Looks like residences are "Clonmel Asylum" and "Irishtown Clonmel" respectively?

Fathers' jobs are "Farmer" and "Carpenter"?

The ones I'm having real difficulty with are the witnesses: William Brett and Bridget Leary, perhaps?

I'd go with Brett alright, same name as the groom. Agree with the others aswell.
    Boscod wrote: »
    Bit rusty on the 'ol Latin I'm afraid :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Boscod wrote: »

It's a cr@p image - can you post some more detail & bigger?
    It looks like parentiis...xxxxxxx.. et tuum in ecclesia sub conditione

Something in the church under condition [of].

Any idea of this name? Seems to be "Rodie"!

http://i.imgur.com/B90DnV0.jpg

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Certainly looks like Rodie

• Advertisement

KildareFan wrote: »
    Certainly looks like Rodie
    Weird; for the life of me can't think what that could be a nickname or contraction for.

P.

Advertisement