Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Agree on Kilrush, Ballandra and Bacon. Not totally sure about the maiden name. It could be a weird G. The writer makes his r in two different ways across the document.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FPCK-KHM

Edward Nowlan
    Ireland Births and Baptisms
    Name Edward Nowlan
    Gender Male
    Birth Date 16 Jan 1868
    Birthplace Wexford, Ireland
    Father's Name Thomas Nowlan
    Mother's Name Mary Crimeen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thanks! I'd already had that actually, so decided to get the actual transcript to see if any more information of if I could work out the name from there....

P.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Agree on Kilrush, Ballandra and Bacon. Not totally sure about the maiden name. It could be a weird G. The writer makes his r in two different ways across the document.
    Thanks; it's weird as Ballandra & Wexford turns up no sensible Google hits at all. Searching for any variation of the word, I get Mexico. :-\

I did a search on the Index of Townlands; the closest to it is "Ballyandrew". Possible?

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Ballyandrew sounds good to me - definitely fits in terms of being in Kilrush civil parish, Enniscorthy registration district and Ferns sub-district, as per the cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

possible a mix-up with mother's first name ... a baptism on the 17th Jan 1868 in Kilrush & Askmore RC parish, of a 'Ned' Nolan, parents Tom Nolan and Alice Crimeen.

I think the address on that baptism is a reference to the townland of Moneydurtlow, also in Kilrush civil parish and adjacent to Ballyandrew townland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The fifth entry from the bottom on the left hand page is the marriage of Francis Masterson and Bridget McGrath.
    At the top of the same page there is a note relating to this marriage.
    Can anyone tell me what the note might be referring to?

394321.bmp

Genealogy Forum Mod

Possibly referring to the baptisms of Masterson and McGrath in the same parish, which the priest had located in the Baptismal Book?

Looks like see 6th page (after the baptisms) of the baptismal book...

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yep, in otherwords you'll see the names of Masterson and Mcgrath on the 6th page of the baptismal book, after their baptism. I've seen several notes like that, Joe Bloggs baptised in 1860 and then in the margin: Joe Bloggs was married in 1885.

• Advertisement

There's a likely entry for Francis on what I think is page 5 but no McGrath's.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Help please on Bridget's surname (sponsor) for this baptism of Mary Brien on 27 March 1847. (2nd record from top of left hand page).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cosgreve?

Plenty of Cosgraves in Moanmore in the 1901 census, so it possibly became that, or was that.

Thanks spurious, it could well be Cosgrave. However, I can't find any Cosgraves recorded on the Emly census, were you referring to Moanmore, Dromwood?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

montgo wrote: »
    Thanks spurious, it could well be Cosgrave. However, I can't find any Cosgraves recorded on the Emly census, were you referring to Moanmore, Dromwood?

There are two Moanmores in Tipp? Ah rats, my mistake. I still think it's Cosgreve/Cosgrave though.

There's a record of a James Moloney baptism here, but I note there have been notes on marriage after & before the entry which I wonder are of interest?

http://i.imgur.com/wy7JzT5.png

The top one looks like "Married Newport February 1921", while the bottom reads "Married <something> <something> 1916". Anyone hazard a guess which entry is associated with James and what the missing words are (if it's that entry)?

P.

Another one here:

http://i.imgur.com/XqVima2.png

Anyone know what place of death reads? Or profession? Or last line of 8? Or last line of 9 (looks like same as place of death)

Also this marriage cert:

http://i.imgur.com/CqycCe8.png

I presume the residence reads "Portobello Barracks"? Think the groom's is just H. Newns. But what about the witnesses - Joseph ???? and Agnes Bloomfield?

Thanks.

P.

Place of death - Foiladera (near Doon)
    Profession - farmer
    Duration of illness - 1 mo. 1 week app (?)
    Probably Foiladera also.

Looks like =
    Place- Foilaclera (Doon which was probably in the District of Grean/Pallasgreen)
    Profession - farmer

On the baptism record, (sometimes easier to see the whole page), it would appear to be James who married in Newport. I'm not sure if Newport is in the Nenagh district, if so this could be the marriage.

Party 1 Name James MOLONEY
    Party 2 Name BRIDGET RYAN
    Date of Event 20 February 1921
    Group Registration ID 1233449
    SR District/Reg Area Nenagh

Joseph Sipan?

Agree father's first name is just given as H.
    Agree Agnes Bloomfield.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Last line of 8 is 'No med. att.' No medical attendance.

On the marriage cert. the groom's name looks like Newvis. In both his and the father's name there is a clear 'dot' over an 'i'.

**edit Might be a long shot, but there is a Sidney and Esther Newns in the Dagenham, Sussex electoral rolls of 1964 (qualifying date 10th October, 1963).

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Joseph Sipan?

Agree father's first name is just given as H.
    Agree Agnes Bloomfield.

The surname Spain rings a bell...

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Sydney Harold Newns military record:
    Sidney Harold
    Last name Newns
    Age 30
    Birth year 1889
    Service number 9285
    Regiment Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment)
    Unit / Battalion 2nd Battalion
    Year 1919
    Residence town Dublin
    Residence county Dublin
    Residence country Ireland
    Series WO 363
    Series description WO 363 - First World War service records 'burnt documents'
    Archive The National Archives
    Record set British Army Service Records
    Category Military Service & Conflict
    Subcategory First World War
    Collections from United Kingdom

Sergt Sydney Harold Newns's record is on findmypast
    Born 1889, lived at 16 Hereford Park, Bexley, York; served on SS Kumara from Southhampton, as deckboy, engaged 3 June 1907; engaged as assistant steward on 5 Nov 1907,
    enlisted 1908 with a reference from his Rector - had been a choir boy
    He was discharged aged 30 on 17 April 1919 address 9 Marlboro Place Dublin, he had gunshot wounds on his head, hand and arms, weekly pension 8/3 to be reviewed in a year; one dependent child
    Another discharge on 24 Aug 1919, address 47 South Dock St, Dublin
    he was awarded the Victory Medal 1921, medal posted to 9 Marlboro Place, Dublin
    there's some correspondence addressed to him
    there's a note of change of address to 90 St George's Road, Forest Gate - can't see the address

KildareFan wrote: »
    Sydney Harold Newns military record:

Collections from United Kingdom

Nice spot - where did you find that?

P.

KildareFan wrote: »
    Sergt Sydney Harold Newns's record is on findmypast
    Born 1889, lived at 16 Hereford Park, Bexley, York; served on SS Kumara from Southhampton, as deckboy, engaged 3 June 1907; engaged as assistant steward on 5 Nov 1907,
    enlisted 1908 with a reference from his Rector - had been a choir boy
    He was discharged aged 30 on 17 April 1919 address 9 Marlboro Place Dublin, he had gunshot wounds on his head, hand and arms, weekly pension 8/3 to be reviewed in a year; one dependent child
    Another discharge on 24 Aug 1919, address 47 South Dock St, Dublin
    he was awarded the Victory Medal 1921, medal posted to 9 Marlboro Place, Dublin
    there's some correspondence addressed to him
    there's a note of change of address to 90 St George's Road, Forest Gate - can't see the address

Is that from a shared family tree?

P.

Hi Oceanclub

Is that from a shared family tree?

No - all information is from the Findmypast.ie website which hosts data on military records. Let me know if you need any further information.

Mod note: title of thread changed to include any handwriting help deciphering.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

Anyone have any idea what the surname that I have circled might be?
    I see a y e r. I have no idea what the first letter is..

• Advertisement

Byer?

Advertisement