Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you hear about the Irishwoman in prison in Iran?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

looksee wrote: »
    Do you get Irish citizenship through marriage? I am a Brit who married an Irishman and I was never aware that I had citizenship? Not automatically anyway. Must check it up.

You are eligible to apply, but it will cost you €175 to apply and €950 for the certificate if you're successful. Being married to an Irish citizen will make your application more favourable:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/becoming_an_irish_citizen_through_marriage.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Do you get Irish citizenship through marriage? I am a Brit who married an Irishman and I was never aware that I had citizenship? Not automatically anyway. Must check it up.
    it used to be very easy to get, but has become more difficult in recent years with new criteria about length of residence in Ireland.

While I personally disagree with her imprisonment, I don't understand why you think I should feel any special affinity for the woman simply because of one of her THREE citizenships is a pretty tenuously earned Irish one.
    I don't believe she has three citizenships. An adult cannot have dual Iranian citizenship, nevermind multiple citizenships.

Maybe people are confused because three passports were confiscated, which is not to say they were three active passports belonging to Homa Hoodfar.

Also, nobody is asking for your affinity. Nobody wants you to do anything. I don't see you as being central to the resolution of this problem, it's a matter for the Irish Government through its Embassy. The State is obliged to defend the personal rights of its citizens.
    It is if you've never lived here. It's the only way it can be obtained without living here today
    What I'm saying is that citizenship is not contingent upon lineage. She legitimately earned her citizenship through her marriage to an Irishman.
    She's not Irish through descent or by residency.
    There are no classes of citizenship. She's no less a citizen than you are (I merely assume you are one)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

She gained citizenship through marriage here her husband died a while back ,
    She's considered to be Iranian Canadian .
    No mention of Irish at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Ilovemybricks

She didn't earn her citizenship. She married a Paddy and got it. They're now divorced. She has never lived here.

If it can be rescinded, and it can in some cases for naturalised citizens but not natural born citizens, then it should be.

It's absurd that she has Irish citizenship and we've got to be more stringent in who we give it to.

There's some prick on Death Row in Florida who has recently obtained citizenship to try and help his case. Why are we willingly allowing ourselves to be dragged into this sort of crapola?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,260 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If someone of another nationality marries an Irish person they have to apply for citizenship, it is not automatic, and there is a residency requirement. So if she has never lived here she cannot be an Irish citizen;
    From Citizens Information: If you are the spouse or civil partner of an Irish citizen who is applying for Irish citizenship, you must meet the following conditions:

You must be married to or in a recognised civil partnership* with the Irish citizen for at least 3 years
    You must have had a period of 1 year's continuous reckonable residence - see below - in the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application, and during the 4 years preceding that, have had a total reckonable residence in the island of Ireland amounting to 2 years. Altogether you must have a total of 3 years reckonable residence out of the last 5 years.
    Your marriage or civil partnership must be recognised as valid under Irish law
    You and your spouse or civil partner must be living together as husband and wife or civil partners
    You must be of full age, good character and intend to continue to live on the island of Ireland
    You must have made a declaration of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State.
    *Foreign relationships registered outside Ireland were only recognised by the State on 13 January 2011 when the Civil Partnership and Certain Rights and Obligations of Cohabitants Act 2010 came into force. However, under the Marriage Act 2015, it is now possible for same-sex couples to become legally married and you can no longer register a civil partnership in Ireland. Partnerships registered abroad after 16 November 2015 are not recognised as civil partnerships in Ireland.

She didn't earn her citizenship. She married a Paddy and got it. They're now divorced. She has never lived here.

She did live here with her husband until he died of cancer I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I don't believe she has three citizenships. An adult cannot have dual Iranian citizenship, nevermind multiple citizenships.

Course you can......I've had three passports at once - Irish (through birth) US (through naturalisation) and UK (through parentage, but passport is currently expired) - it makes sense when travelling, or it used but the last 18 months or so the Yanks have started to clamp down on it.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Course you can......
    I said "An adult cannot have dual Iranian citizenship"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

So she must have had 7 consular visits by now judging by that lad in Egypt ? Wonder if that crowed are demanding her release ?

• Advertisement

yes, it was the second part of that statement I was replying to.......

So is she Iranian or Canadian

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

So, she's a triple citizen?

So, she's a triple citizen?

Her problem probably stemmed from the 3 passports - if you travel under one passport you can't claim consular protection under a second one.

AFAIK, that's the Halawa kid's problem - he travelled on his Egyptian passport then tried to claim consular representation under his Irish one - which he got, and when the ambassador negotiated his release he declined to leave!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

....when they told her she was being beheaded she said 'not again'.

I don't know why the thread is getting bogged down on Homa Hoodafr's dual citizenship. I didn't see dual citizenship raised at all in relation to drugs mule Michaela McCollum Connolly. Here is an academic doing important work, known in the Irish community of which she is a member, coming under attack for 'dabbling in feminism' and people are wringing their hands like little bureaucrats.
    Gatling wrote: »
    So is she Iranian or Canadian
    I genuinely don't know if that's a question or a statement.

She is Irish and she is Canadian.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    yes, it was the second part of that statement I was replying to.......
    It pertains to multiple citizenships among an Iranian citizenship. Obviously (for most people, it's obvious), this isn't a thread about international passport regulations.

I don't know why the thread is getting bogged down on Homa Hoodafr's dual citizenship.

Because you have stated she's Irish doesn't make it true,
    She's identified as Iranian Canadian no mention of been Irish,

And been you can't apparently have dual Iranian citizenship that leaves one of the other but definitely not Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 28,260 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know why the thread is getting bogged down on Homa Hoodafr's dual citizenship. I didn't see dual citizenship raised at all in relation to drugs mule Michaela McCollum Connolly. Here is an academic doing important work, known in the Irish community of which she is a member, coming under attack for 'dabbling in feminism' and people are wringing their hands like little bureaucrats.

I genuinely don't know if that's a question or a statement.

It pertains to multiple citizenships among an Iranian citizenship. Obviously (for most people, it's obvious), this isn't a thread about international passport regulations.

It is relevant because if she is not Irish the Irish government cannot do anything for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Very brave /foolhardy to go there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zahra_Kazemi

If we can do anything to help her leave the country we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

A blase attitude toward Ibrahim Halawa? You must be joking. I'd say that man got more consular assistance than anyone else I can think of.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    Because you have stated she's Irish doesn't make it true,
    She's identified as Iranian Canadian no mention of been Irish,
    Every single article I've read has mentioned her Irish nationality
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/11/homa-hoodfar-detention-iran-unjust-unislamic
    Born in Iran and now a Canadian and Irish citizen

https://www.amnesty.ie/latest/actions/2016/06/29/home_hoodfar/
    Dr. Homa Hoodfar, a 65-year-old professor of anthropology, who holds Irish citizenship

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/academics-to-protest-over-arrest-of-colleague-in-iran-419711.html
    ...the Iranian-born academic, who holds Canadian and Irish citizenship
    And been you can't apparently have dual Iranian citizenship that leaves one of the other but definitely not Irish
    Bizarre logic.

I have no idea whether or not Hoodfar maintains active Iranian citizenship. She is described as Iranian because she was born there. I haven't actually seen any report claiming she is an Iranian active passport-holder.

In any event, under Irish nationality law and the provisions of the constitution, Hoodfar remains Irish, and the State is obliged to defend her personal rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Iran don't recognise dual nationality so afaik so won't make much difference.

isn't it? How else would someone born in Iran, who works in Canada end up with three passports including an Irish one?

Plus in the wake of Iran-Contra I'm guessing the Pasdaran aren't terribly convinced about people wielding Irish passports ;)

Hence the contradictions

It's not clear whether or not she holds Iranian citizenship anymore. In any case, I don't think anyone is anticipating Charlie Flanagan marching over to Teheran, his biceps bulging, flipping-over tables and yelling 'Let Her Out' at cringing Persian bureaucrats.

Of course nobody is going to simply obey an Irish Minister. But Ireland should at least be registering its opposition to what seems to be an attack on academic freedom. We may no longer be the land of saints and scholars, but it would be nice to live in a society that still respects scholarship, and its citizens' personal rights, even where there is a high probability of failure.

I would like if we were that kind of people, and not the kind of obsequious people who will weakly hum and haw about dual citizenship, and allow their citizens to endure ludicrous charges rather than alarm a foreign government.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's weird. Tell me, how did you earn your citizenship.

I have dual citizenship. Does that make me a bad person too?

It's not clear whether or not she holds Iranian citizenship anymore. In any case, I don't think anyone is anticipating Charlie Flanagan marching over to Teheran, his biceps bulging, flipping-over tables and yelling 'Let Her Out' at cringing Persian bureaucrats.

Of course nobody is going to simply obey an Irish Minister. But Ireland should at least be registering its opposition to what seems to be an attack on academic freedom. We may no longer be the land of saints and scholars, but it would be nice to live in a society that still respects scholarship, and its citizens' personal rights, even where there is a high probability of failure.

I would like if we were that kind of people, and not the kind of obsequious people who will weakly hum and haw about dual citizenship, and allow their citizens to endure ludicrous charges rather than alarm a foreign government.

You can't renounce Iranian citizenship so as far as they're concerned she's Iranian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Ilovemybricks

Grayson wrote: »
    That's weird. Tell me, how did you earn your citizenship.

I have dual citizenship. Does that make me a bad person too?

I am a native Irish person. I hold Irish citizenship. She's an Iranian Canadian that's never lived here and doesn't have any Irish ancestry. It's absurd that such a person has citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If someone of another nationality marries an Irish person they have to apply for citizenship, it is not automatic, and there is a residency requirement. So if she has never lived here she cannot be an Irish citizen;
    The residency requirement has not always been there and if her marriage predated its introduction, she could be an Irish citizen.

Prior to November 29th 2005, a post-nuptial declaration of citizenship was enough to become a citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I am a native Irish person. I hold Irish citizenship. She's an Iranian Canadian that's never lived here and doesn't have any Irish ancestry. It's absurd that such a person has citizenship.

You said earned. My point is that you haven't earned it. You got it because you were born here and/or your parents were irish.

I have mine because my parents were Irish. I didn't earn it either. I had Irish citizenship before I ever set foot here. I got it through a right I inherited. She got it through marrying an Irish citizen. You could say that she's actually done more than either of us since she actually did something rather than just existing like we did.

Advertisement