Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you hear about the Irishwoman in prison in Iran?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,295 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Government will have to hire The A Team to get all these "citizens" out.

She probably got no show from the Canadians so now all of a sudden she's Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The Irish government - indeed, successive Irish governments - has been entirely toothless, snivelling, and pathetic when it comes to foreign affairs. "Don't rock the boat even if that means not doing the right thing" is the order of business and has been for as long as I can remember.

Very few things could make me ashamed of my country, this sadly is one of those few things. From cases like this to facilitating rendition flights, we literally never seem to stand up for the values we believe in.

The Irish government - indeed, successive Irish governments - has been entirely toothless, snivelling, and pathetic when it comes to foreign affairs. "Don't rock the boat even if that means not doing the right thing" is the order of business and has been for as long as I can remember.

Very few things could make me ashamed of my country, this sadly is one of those few things. From cases like this to facilitating rendition flights, we literally never seem to stand up for the values we believe in.

They bend over backwards to help that joker in Egypt and he threw it back in their faces, he had the chance to get out and wouldn't take it.

They also helped get Brian Keenan released when the Brits turned a blind eye to his situation.

So go find something else to be ashamed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

They bend over backwards to help that joker in Egypt and he threw it back in their faces, he had the chance to get out and wouldn't take it.

Source?
    They also helped get Brian Keenan released when the Brits turned a blind eye to his situation.

That was in the 1990s. Things have radically changed since then. The list of instances in which our government have either turned a blind eye to or actually been complicit in wrongdoing includes (but is not limited to) the following:

Rendition flights landing in Shannon
    US troops using Shannon
    The EU screwing us over re Anglo
    The EU screwing Greece over
    The Egyptian regime keeping a protester in prison
    And now this.

If we have ethical principles and values as a nation, then we should stand up for them without exception and regardless of whether that damages our own position. As should any individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Source?

That was in the 1990s. Things have radically changed since then. The list of instances in which our government have either turned a blind eye to or actually been complicit in wrongdoing includes (but is not limited to) the following:

US troops using Shannon
    And now this.

If we have ethical principles and values as a nation, then we should stand up for them without exception and regardless of whether that damages our own position. As should any individual.

Love the way people say Regime to make it more sinister. News at 11 the last regime in charge in Egypt was the Muslim brotherhood. I'm sure people would be happy here if the Ku Klux Klan ran the government here ?

• Advertisement

Source?

US troops using Shannon
    And now this.

The Irish ambassador negotiated his release and he wouldn't go, it's common knowledge that this happened.

Most of us have no issue with the Americans using Shannon, except yourself and the looney left.

Yeah we got screwed on Anglo, couldn't care less about Greece, that's their problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Ilovemybricks

Source?
    Ms Gendi claimed that the then-Irish ambassador to Egypt, Isolde Moylan, had negotiated safe passage from the mosque for Halawa and his three sisters.

"They should have accepted the safe haven they were offered," said Ms Gendi.
    Halawa's sister Somaia (29) confirmed that embassy officials had told them by phone that their safe passage from the mosque had been guaranteed.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/egypt-rules-out-special-treatment-for-irish-teenager-31211355.html

No mention of her having Irish citizenship here .....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-37477020
    A Canadian-Iranian academic has been released from prison by Iranian authorities, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has confirmed.
    The release was given on "humanitarian grounds", Iranian state media report.
    Homa Hoodfar, 65, was one of several dual nationals being held for alleged "acts against national security".
    She was ill and is being returned to Canada via Oman, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reported, citing the foreign ministry.
    Mr Trudeau said the federal government had been "engaged at the highest levels" with her case.
    "Canadians are relieved that Dr Hoodfar has been released from jail and will soon be reunited with her family, friends and colleagues," he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Source?

US troops using Shannon
    And now this.

And tell me of states that have ethics and values please? Joining hands and singing Kumbya doesn't actually work.

No mention of her having Irish citizenship here .....
    Considering Ireland seems not to have provided her with much assistance, I'm not surprised the BBC and other media didn't mention Ireland as part of the story.

The DFA confirmed she is a citizen, but I suppose nobody really thinks Ireland is relevant to this good news, and with good reason.

I'm glad she's released, even if we didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Government will have to hire The A Team to get all these "citizens" out.

She probably got no show from the Canadians so now all of a sudden she's Irish.
    To be fair, I'd sing god save the queen every morning before breakfast if it got me out of an Iranian prison.

ScumLord wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd sing god save the queen every morning before breakfast if it got me out of an Iranian prison.

The Fields of Athenry might be a better choice.

Considering Ireland seems not to have provided her with much assistance, I'm not surprised the BBC and other media didn't mention Ireland as part of the story.

The DFA confirmed she is a citizen, but I suppose nobody really thinks Ireland is relevant to this good news, and with good reason.

I'm glad she's released, even if we didn't help.

Do you think Ireland should just drop everything for every hard luck case claiming to be Irish when they aren't.

She was Canada's responsibility and they did their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

She sounds like a very different kettle of fish to the other person you gave as an example, OP, but other than that I really have no idea what to think of it. From the comments, it seems like it mightn't be Ireland's responsibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Manny89

Has she ever even lived in Ireland or did she receive naturalised citizenship simply for marrying an Irish citizen? If it's the latter then calling her an Irish woman is a bit of a stretch.

Advertisement