Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

My point about TV3 main number of hours is and always has been that its cheep addition in-house programming. TV3 didn't increase their number of employees. So lets say for arguments sake say that they employ 200 full time and the average wage is 40,000. That's 8million.

Ireland AM = 3hrs
    Midday = 1hr
    News = 1hr 30 (12:30, 5:30 and 8)
    Xpose = 1hr
    TSOCS = 1hr

=37hrs 30mins per week

tonight with VB = 1hr
    sat and sun AM = 6hr
    =10hr per week

47hrs 30mins per week

2470 per year in house

3300 per hour or 1300 above an hour of bought in drama.

The idea behind these shows was always about getting a quota of Irish programming. later it became a race to have 50% of programming coming from Ireland.

I'd rather see TV3 produce quality prime time TV. And import daytime TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

Elmo wrote: »
    My point about TV3 main number of hours is and always has been that its cheep addition in-house programming. TV3 didn't increase their number of employees. So lets say for arguments sake say that they employ 200 full time and the average wage is 40,000. That's 8million.

Ireland AM = 3hrs
    Midday = 1hr
    News = 1hr 30 (12:30, 5:30 and 8)
    Xpose = 1hr
    TSOCS = 1hr

=37hrs 30mins per week

tonight with VB = 1hr
    sat and sun AM = 6hr
    =10hr per week

47hrs 30mins per week

2470 per year in house

3300 per hour or 1300 above an hour of bought in drama.

The idea behind these shows was always about getting a quota of Irish programming. later it became a race to have 50% of programming coming from Ireland.

I'd rather see TV3 produce quality prime time TV. And import daytime TV.

Sorry but money spent does not equal quality. Without Irish content essentially you'd just have a generic UK entertainment channel. Sure GMB, This Morning, ITV news, Loose women,Judge Rinder,Dickinson's Real Deal,Tipping Point,The Jeremy Kyle Show are all by your standards cheap filler? and that's on ITV's flagship channel. I honestly don't know what you expect or think is quality programming. Examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

doc11 wrote: »
    Sorry but money spent does not equal quality. Without Irish content essentially you'd just have a generic UK entertainment channel. Sure GMB, This Morning, ITV news, Loose women,Judge Rinder,Dickinson's Real Deal,Tipping Point,The Jeremy Kyle Show are all by your standards cheap filler? and that's on ITV's flagship channel. I honestly don't know what you expect or think is quality programming. Examples?

I suppose red rock would fall into that category

I suppose red rock would fall into that category

exactly.

Though you are right to say money spend does not necessarily mean quality and there are plenty of examples across film and TV where plenty of money is spent and the programmes aren't great but often the quality of the programme is clear.

I really don't think that Daytime is all that important. IMO if UTV had got its prime time schedule correct it would have gain an audience. there was no way that UTV Ireland would of had their own daytime TV programmes but they may as well of considering programmes like the pulse and repeats of lifestyle british programmes in Prime Time.

If TV3 have a strong prime time schedule around the soaps it can grow, but as Doc11 points out those shows have to be The Restaurant, The Great Irish Bake Off and Red Rock.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

exactly.

If TV3 have a strong prime time schedule around the soaps it can grow, but as Doc11 points out those shows have to be The Restaurant, The Great Irish Bake Off and Red Rock.

The problem with TV3 is they saturate their programmes with far too many adverts that mean I for one will not stay with them after the first ad break - if I am even there before the first ad break.

The Restaurant is a good example because it was on RTE before - exact same programme with the same crew - but without the sponsor or so many ads.

• Advertisement

doc11 wrote: »
    Sure GMB, This Morning, ITV news, Loose women,Judge Rinder,Dickinson's Real Deal,Tipping Point,The Jeremy Kyle Show are all by your standards cheap filler?

I meant to answer this, yes. Daytime TV is cheap. You have to take it in terms of the market. ITV can afford to keep itself awash with higher quality Daytime TV, with a variety of different genres to an extent. The strip schedule of these programmes helps reduce their costs. Soap Opera is the same.

TV3 on the other hand have no variety between their daytime programmes. There really is very little difference between Xpose, Ireland AM and TSOCS. Midday is purely talking heads.

Having looked at both TV3 and UTV Ireland schedules its very hard to see TV3 increasing its audience share above 10% with just ITV Soaps, removing them from UTV Ireland will see that channel shed viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Just noticed ITV4 is showing Spurs v Inter in a pre-season friendly. I'm watching on Virgin Media and it is not geo-blocked. I thought previously all sport on ITV4 was blocked on Virgin Media ?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Just noticed ITV4 is showing Spurs v Inter in a pre-season friendly. I'm watching on Virgin Media and it is not geo-blocked. I thought previously all sport on ITV4 was blocked on Virgin Media ?

That,s never a problem with Freesat HD

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lgs 4 wrote: »
    That,s never a problem with Freesat HD

ITV4 is not available in HD on Freesat.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It was; until recently at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

The problem with TV3 is they saturate their programmes with far too many adverts that mean I for one will not stay with them after the first ad break - if I am even there before the first ad break.

The Restaurant is a good example because it was on RTE before - exact same programme with the same crew - but without the sponsor or so many ads.

I would also dislike the long and frequent commercial breaks on TV3 at times too but to be fair, let's bear in mind that RTÉ is still dual funded by both TV Licence Fee and commercial advertising on it's two primary TV channels RTÉ One and RTÉ 2 meaning a rival channel such as TV3 would have to explore all possible commercial revenue streams in order to compete with the national broadcaster for starters.

RTÉ have less advertising minutes per hour/day not because it does not want to upset the viewers but this is largely due to strict limits set out in order to protect Irish independent commercial channels like TV3 to co-exist as RTÉ enjoyed a dominant monopoly for a very long time unlike the situation in the UK - By restricting RTÉ in terms of generating additional revenue from commercial advertising on TV/Radio it allowed channels like TV3 to breathe and grow. This would also benefit channels like Channel 6 (later acquired by TV3 and renamed 3e) and UTV Ireland although I'm not sure about TnaG (later renamed TG4).

My only concern would be those Irish offshoot versions of UK based channels like Sky One (Ireland), Challenge TV (Ireland), Sky Atlantic (Ireland), MTV Ireland and so on etc; whereby the only main differences to the channel content that is broadcast on air is that the commercial break is targeted at an Irish audience instead but the channel in question does not showcase a whole lot of Irish indigenous programming apart from the odd exception of shows like "Moone Boy" (Sky One) or "50 Ways To Kill Your Mammy" (Sky One) and even then the programme goes out across the UK version anyway!

With regards to frequent and long commercial breaks, this practise is just as apparent if you watch any channel that is branded and/or owned by other operators too such as SKY Television, itv, Channel 4 etc; I stopped watching Sky News on a regular basis some years ago in favour of the BBC News Channel as I grew tired of the constant advert breaks and almost endless Sky TV promotions for their various channels. Even if you subscribe more for their premium channel packages to include Sky Movies (now Sky Cinema) and/or Sky Sports, you still have to endure all their constant plugging. In that context, why would TV3 be any different especially when it needs to pay all it's overheads and break even or generate a profit in good times as they have been bought and sold more than once since their initial launch back in September 1998.

And as we all know, UTV Ireland has been bought and sold twice already since it's original launch back on 01/01/2015 which is not even 2 years ago! It should be very interesting to see things change if Virgin Media Ireland/TV3 Group gets the final clearance and all necessary approvals from the various regulatory bodies responsible (and if granted on what conditions may apply) for the purchase of UTV Ireland. Interesting times ahead no doubt - one thing you are unlikely to see much change, expect little change in the frequency and length of commercial breaks on these particular channels as otherwise; I could not see how they would be able to compete and run a successful commercial operation as they are up against a lot more competition these days. All these takeovers at both UTV Ireland and TV3 Group over the years would seem to indicate that things are constantly changing on the balance sheets.

TV3 originally had an average of 9mins and max of 12mins. TV3 itself really only competed with RTE2 and UTV proper for ad revenue as other channels would be much lower and would price different. As time went on and both utv and rte2 lost viewers this began to make little difference but in the end TV3 suggested that they had to have 12mins since that was standard on ITV shows, though the failed to mention that they had the ability to sell 12mins during ITV shows due to the max 12mins rule.

This cause uproar with Radio as they are still on 9mins average 12mins max, though the BAI cannot change their mins, that is up to the Oireachtas.

You also have to remember that RTE2 has six hours free of advertising.

Meanwhile, over at UTV NI, the Belfast Telegraph is reporting that it's late news is to be reduced back to a summary from the Autumn onwards. The half hour late news only exists incidentally because UTV promised an hour long UTV Live at Six in its franchise application (way back in 1991) which changes in the network schedule made it impossible to continue to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

icdg wrote: »
    Meanwhile, over at UTV NI, the Belfast Telegraph is reporting that it's late news is to be reduced back to a summary from the Autumn onwards. The half hour late news only exists incidentally because UTV promised an hour long UTV Live at Six in its franchise application (way back in 1991) which changes in the network schedule made it impossible to continue to deliver.

Here is the article.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/itv-axes-utv-live-tonight-in-network-revamp-34952273.html

most pathetic quote ever
    Author and UTV historian Don Anderson said the cutback on UTV news was “inevitable”.

“Its new owners have to make a profit,” he said.

“It is accurate to say that UTV’s current news output is less now than it once was, but that is because news gathering is very expensive.

“ITV has spent a lot of money on its networks.

“It is an inevitable retreat away from the local programmes.”

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

In all honestly is this a surprise? ITV were bound to make changes and this won't be the last. UTV's local output (meagre as it is) will be further reduced as time goes on until it is no more than a few local news bulletins, the same as any other ITV region.

In all honestly is this a surprise? ITV were bound to make changes and this won't be the last. UTV's local output (meagre as it is) will be further reduced as time goes on until it is no more than a few local news bulletins, the same as any other ITV region.

Such a bad move, its the biggest franchise, AFAIK it get way above the audience share of the English or Welsh variants, not sure about STV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

ITV4 is not available in HD on Freesat.

But, to be clear, the SD version of ITV4 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 feez

They spent the bare minimum on newsgathering anyway
    most pathetic quote ever

They must be doing something right, because they consistently beat BBC Newsline in the ratings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

M/16/038 – Liberty Global/UTV Ireland
    The proposed acquisition by Liberty Global Plc, through Virgin Media Limited, of sole control of UTV Ireland Limited from UTV Limited (which is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of ITV Plc) has been cleared by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

Infoanon wrote: »
    M/16/038 – Liberty Global/UTV Ireland
    The proposed acquisition by Liberty Global Plc, through Virgin Media Limited, of sole control of UTV Ireland Limited from UTV Limited (which is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of ITV Plc) has been cleared by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

TV3 will be happy to get Coro and Emmers back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

so UTV Ireland to become (in effect) TV3 2 - or will it just be scrapped?

greendom wrote: »
    so UTV Ireland to become (in effect) TV3 2 - or will it just be scrapped?

We don't know. There are rumours and conjector.

1. They will scrap the channel (though what do they plan to put in its place on 110 for Virgin Media customers UTV?)
    2. They will leave it as is (unlikely though they'd prob retain viewers)
    3. It will share a channel with 3KIDS and start at 7pm each night, while moving ITV soaps back to TV3. (reducing its audience share).

() = IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

The CEO of Virgin Media Ireland, Tony Hanway, is interviewed here, in The Irish Times.

Confirmed that UTV Ireland is gone as a brand name. He basically says that they bought the channel for the content, not the brand. Seems to be hinting that the station might be shut down ...
    Mr Hanway said the long-term content agreement with ITV’s distribution arm was an “equally important” part of this deal. No decisions have yet been made on the future of UTV Ireland, he said. However, if TV3 Group retains it as a third channel alongside TV3 and 3e, it will not continue under the name UTV Ireland.

Hints that the TV3 brand is staying put ...
    Asked whether Virgin might rebrand its portfolio of Irish television channels as Virgin 1, 2 and 3, Mr Hanway said the company “hadn’t thought about it in depth”, adding that there was “a lot of brand equity built up in TV3 as well”.

No changes until after final regulatory approval (and probably the Christmas advert season) ...
    Virgin’s acquisition of UTV Ireland from ITV is also expected to be cleared by regulators and the Minister before the end of 2016.

Nothing new there, for me anyway. They wanted the ITV Studios programmes. Getting a channel along with them was an unwanted side effect of the deal they had to do to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

icdg wrote: »
    Nothing new there, for me anyway. They wanted the ITV Studios programmes. Getting a channel along with them was an unwanted side effect of the deal they had to do to get them.

I agree, Virgin wanted Corrie and Emmerdale for TV3, plus first pick of anything decent in the ITV treasure chest. UTV Ireland is the "excess baggage charge " so to speak that came with the deal. I think he's making it clear that UTV Ireland is goosed and the focal point will be TV3 and 3e. Two channels is more than enough in such a small market as ROI. As a side issue, the closure of UTV Ireland will be another nail in the coffin of Saorview, it has few enough channels as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So scrap UTVI and make 3e HD

galtee boy wrote: »
    I agree, Virgin wanted Corrie and Emmerdale for TV3, plus first pick of anything decent in the ITV treasure chest. UTV Ireland is the "excess baggage charge " so to speak that came with the deal. I think he's making it clear that UTV Ireland is goosed and the focal point will be TV3 and 3e. Two channels is more than enough in such a small market as ROI. As a side issue, the closure of UTV Ireland will be another nail in the coffin of Saorview, it has few enough channels as it is.

Of course they wanted the ITV studios programming but you'd have to question why they would buy UTV Ireland if that's all they wanted. 3 months to or more to have regulator decide, surely easier for ITV to shut UTV Ireland and re-sell those products to TV3.

again with this small market guys. Irish channels have just 39% of that small market when you exclude UTV Ireland, 45% with UTV Ireland. We're assuming that TV3 will happily take a drop in that market of 2-3% by dropping UTV Ireland.
    So scrap UTVI and make 3e HD

Don't buy UTVI and spend the money on HD on saorview over the next 2 to 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Don't buy UTVI and spend the money on HD on saorview over the next 2 to 3 years.

It's a bit late for that.

Advertisement