Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

How do the viewers influence the 3family in HD on Saorview decision ?

nope I would say its very low on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Delta2113 wrote: »
    The removal of ITV2,3 and 4 from Virgin platform I would not rule out. I wonder would Virgin Media take on Eir Sports and launch a sports channel.

BT Sports could really throw a spanner in the works when the current deal runs out with Eir.

High risk they will be removed, after all, TV3 will carry the best of ITV1 and 3e with 3u/UTVI will carry the drivel - sorry, the best of ITV2,3 & 4 and Virgin will want ROI advertisers on these channels with ROI viewers. The only way to ensure this happens, is to get rid of other ways of viewing the same programmes. Thankfully they can't get rid of Freesat.

galtee boy wrote: »
    High risk they will be removed, after all, TV3 will carry the best of ITV1 and 3e with 3u/UTVI will carry the drivel - sorry, the best of ITV2,3 & 4 and Virgin will want ROI advertisers on these channels with ROI viewers. The only way to ensure this happens, is to get rid of other ways of viewing the same programmes. Thankfully they can't get rid of Freesat.

Are they available on Sky, I can't imagine Virgin dropping 2,3 and 4. but you'd think they would sell advertising on them

Elmo wrote: »
    Are they available on Sky, I can't imagine Virgin dropping 2,3 and 4. but you'd think they would sell advertising on them

There are no ITV channels on the ROI Sky Epg. They can only be got using the other channels method.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Delta2113

3Family wouldn't be a bad name for a family friendly focused channel. It would of course include 3 Kids.

3E would include the spill over from TV3. I think the seven o'clock show might get moved back to the afternoon.

You would hardly put it up against Coronation Street or Emmerdale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

galtee boy wrote: »
    So Saorview will be loosing UTV Ireland and gaining Irish TV, that will do wonders for the sale of the Saorview Connect box, if it ever sees the light of day. This news also means we will never see UTV NI back on Virgin or making an appearance on Sky, as Virgin will want all the ITV programming from that 10 year deal to be viewable only on TV3 in ROI. Thank God for free to air satellite and Freesat.

I wonder if this move makes it easier for the UTV channel to appear on the planned Saorview Connect combi receiver's epg as they'll have no direct connection with any other channel on Saorview other than programme rights, similar to the BBC/RTÉ's Eastenders rights for example?

The Cush wrote: »
    I wonder if this move makes it easier for the UTV channel to appear on the planned Saorview Connect combi receiver's epg as they'll have no direct connection with any other channel on Saorview other than programme rights, similar to the BBC/RTÉ's Eastenders rights for example?

Where is the report saying that UTV Ireland or its re-brand will be drop from saorview? The press releases both mentioned Free To Air Channel UTV Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    Where is the report saying that UTV Ireland or its re-brand will be drop from saorview? The press releases both mentioned Free To Air Channel UTV Ireland.

I was referring to the satellite channel, UTV (NI), being added to the planned Saorview Connect combi receiver's FTA sat epg.

The Cush wrote: »
    I was referring to the satellite channel, UTV (NI), being added to the planned Saorview Connect combi receiver's FTA sat epg.

I presume it will be there with a now and next EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Great another TV station that will constantly show Virgin adverts.

What a joke.

This only benefits Virgin Media the majority of staff at UTV Ireland will be let go and the rest will be moved to TV3.

Virgin Media get to show as many adverts on their 3 FTA Tv stations which they technically wont be paying for because they own the Tv station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

RIP Saorview Connect; the prospect of a decent ITV service & player offered a badly needed lifeline for their yet to be launched box, RTE 1 & 2 and TV3 fuzz don't make a viable stand alone service in my opinion and Freesat is now the only realistic option for hassle free TV in this country, Saorview on its own is just not at the races and VMI's ownership of effectively half of the Saorview channels will ensure it stays that way for the time being.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭mike2084

irishfeen wrote: »
    There is plenty in the ITV studio archive they could use to make 3 very decent channels - plenty of sport up for grabs too if they want it.

UK horseracing is available for a start from next year - cheap and bound to be popular.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/british-horseracing-announces-exclusive-domestic-tv-rights-deal-itv

We probably need a new thread to discuss implications for RTE up against VM (Virgin Media).

Will they look for a TV Licence increase to compete? Should RTE +1 become RTE3?

Still no ads on RTE News Now etc.

RTE should be scaled back but Ireland being Ireland they will increase the Licence Fee and throw more money at them.

I would close TG4 -slash the budget and it could be RTE3 with some basic Irish language programmes -you could even stick the Angeles on it.

mike2084 wrote: »
    UK horseracing is available for a start from next year - cheap and bound to be popular.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/british-horseracing-announces-exclusive-domestic-tv-rights-deal-itv

- I wonder will VM (Virgin Media) have first option on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

Will they look for a TV Licence increase to compete?
    That would go down like a lead balloon.

I hope that the ITV dramas will be shown and not just the ITV studios produced ones, movies and football as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I would close TG4

I hope that never happens. TG4 makes a holy show of other Irish channels considering their budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

lertsnim wrote: »
    I hope that never happens. TG4 makes a holy show of other Irish channels considering their budget.

Hear this alot but ratings say otherwise. Do you honestly think ros na run is better then red rock or Nuacht TG4 is better then tv3 news. And considering there budget talk is nonsense TV3 have to survive on a commerical basis while TG4 use RTE resources and state funds with nominal commerical revenue. What exactly on TG4 do you watch/ think that they do better then competitors?

doc11 wrote: »
    Hear this alot but ratings say otherwise. Do you honestly think ros na run is better then red rock or Nuacht TG4 is better then tv3 news. And considering there budget talk is nonsense TV3 have to survive on a commerical basis while TG4 use RTE resources and state funds with nominal commerical revenue. What exactly on TG4 do you watch/ think that they do better then competitors?

TV3 and UTV have major backers and are now part of the biggest pay operator in the Ireland. Ros Na Run has been on air for the last 20 years, Red Rock is good but it should have happen long ago, also 3.5m budget v 7m budget. IMO both stand up to each other. Both are very different, but ultimately both are soaps.

TG4 have produced some of the best TV over the last 20 years are you honestly saying that The Seven O'Clock Show is better that any of the historical docs, mini serials etc produced by TG4 over the years.

And yes Nuacht TG4 is just as good as TV3 news (though it is produced by RTÉ).

Though it's kind of like comparing BBC 4's audience with ITV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I hope that the ITV dramas will be shown and not just the ITV studios produced ones, movies and football as well.

Only football they have is World Cup and Euro games, along with England qualifiers. RTE have the rights for these.

Movies are so readily available throughout most of the Irish TV channels, on-demand services and online services like Netflix that I don't feel it makes much of a difference.

Dramas will be the big one of course. If they move them to TV3 and 3e, you'd hope they'd keep them on at the same time as ITV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

iseegirls wrote: »
    Only football they have is World Cup and Euro games, along with England qualifiers. RTE have the rights for these.

RTE doesn't have the rights to England internationals, and yes, it is a source of annoyance that you can't watch them on Irish TV

iseegirls wrote: »

Movies are so readily available throughout most of the Irish TV channels, on-demand services and online services like Netflix that I don't feel it makes much of a difference.

Dramas will be the big one of course. If they move them to TV3 and 3e, you'd hope they'd keep them on at the same time as ITV.

Utv Ireland didnt show any good movies or hardly any at all,didnt they acquire rights to show films?

Dodge wrote: »
    RTE doesn't have the rights to England internationals, and yes, it is a source of annoyance that you can't watch them on Irish TV

So, is it possible that TV3/UTV Irl will show football then? Rte and TV3 both had the Euros on recently!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Alas the England qualifiers are pretty much unavailable now to Irish broadcasters until UEFA tender for the European Qualifiers rights again, thanks to the way the deals have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

icdg wrote: »
    Alas the England qualifiers are pretty much unavailable now to Irish broadcasters until UEFA tender for the European Qualifiers rights again, thanks to the way the deals have been done.

And even then, it's highly unlikely any Irish channel (bar eir sports) will try and show England internationals

Major tournaments (European Champs, World Cup) will always be on free-to-air TV (as will Irish games in the qualifiers)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Utv Ireland didnt show any good movies or hardly any at all,didnt they acquire rights to show films?

Unsure whether the original post was regarding getting back ITV's collection of films. If it was UTV Ireland's collection - well then yes those films were bad. But TV3 and 3e film's are repeated constantly over a matter of months, so a few more films to add in may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hopefully the programmes on UTV IRL will improve with the buy out because if the soaps are taken out it's been useless so far.

Although it's a bit odd having 2 different channels owned by the same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

doc11 wrote: »

High ratings does not equal quality programming. A look at what gets most viewers regularly will show you that.

Do i honestly think Ros na Rún is better than Red Rock? I couldn't tell you as I watch neither.

What I do like about TG4 is the coverage they give to sport. They are the only FTA channel in this country that will show the Guinness Pro 12. Their GAA coverage is excellent. Granted they don't show the Championship but they do have league games and they show games that RTE wouldn't bother showing like the under 21's.

Another thing that I like is the documentaries that pop up from time to time.

Finally they showed Oz. What a show that was.

TV3 are not poor so I don't know why you would use them as a comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There's no better way to attract viewers to a prime time Saturday night slot that showing Dancing On Ice from 2012. Great work from the content department there!

Advertisement