Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildcard Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

You aren't worried about ManU home to Stoke GW7?

I'm not sure when I'll get aguero back I could leave it till after spurs away. I think tomorrow will tell us a lot about where teams really stand. Utd and city have had it fairly handy so far fixture wise as have Chelsea. I wouldn't be declaring the likes of Ibra and hazard must haves just yet. The same way I wasn't dismissing arsenal players after 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pretty set on the following now:

Foster/Pickford or Jakupovic

Shaw/Baines/Kone/Collins/Amat

Hazard/Ozil/Barkley/Antonio/Capoue

Ibrahimovic/Lukaku/Benteke

3 Everton can't help but feel like overkill, but their next 4 fixtures are golden and that's about as long as you can realistically plan for in this game.

It'll be a bit of a pain in the arse getting Aguero back in, it'll probably take 4 transfers, but I don't plan on getting him back until prior to the Everton game which is after the October international break.

Asked in another thread paully but do u reckon rodwell will keep his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,395 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Paully D wrote: »
    Pretty set on the following now:

Foster/Pickford or Jakupovic

Shaw/Baines/Kone/Collins/Amat

Hazard/Ozil/Barkley/Antonio/Capoue

Ibrahimovic/Lukaku/Benteke

3 Everton can't help but feel like overkill, but their next 4 fixtures are golden and that's about as long as you can realistically plan for in this game.

It'll be a bit of a pain in the arse getting Aguero back in, it'll probably take 4 transfers, but I don't plan on getting him back until prior to the Everton game which is after the October international break.

You don't fancy Defoe Paully?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

A) Costa, Antonio and Redmond
    or
    B) Benteke, Sterling and Barkley

Kind of leaning towards B for Everton's easy fixtures, but Palace are just so bad.

• Advertisement

Asked in another thread paully but do u reckon rodwell will keep his place.

I think the first choice central midfield will be Cattermole, Kirchhoff and Ndong when all is said and done, but it may take a few weeks yet to get to that. Given the injury rates of Cattermole and Kirchhoff, he will probably see plenty of game time regardless.
    You don't fancy Defoe Paully?

I love the little fella and he's certainly under consideration, but the thing that worries me with him from an FPL viewpoint is the (lack of) chance creation in the Sunderland side. He lives off scraps.

Whereas when I was considering someone like Benteke the fact that Palace have significantly more crosses than any other side so far this season made me take notice due to Benteke's aerial ability.

However, with EVE, tot, CPL, WBA and sto to come in the next 5 he's a definite option.

I think I've started to talk myself into going with him instead of Benteke. :pac:

ShaneU wrote: »
    A) Costa, Antonio and Redmond
    or
    B) Benteke, Sterling and Barkley

Kind of leaning towards B for Everton's easy fixtures, but Palace are just so bad.

Option B and by a street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Another problem with B is it will be impossible to get Aguero back, unless I transfer Ibra out

Now stuck between Sanchez and Lamela vs Ozil and Sterling. Having no City cover just doesn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,019 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I think I'm going to settle on this.

Foster Heaton
    Valencia Kone Amat Friend Williams
    Hazard Lamela Antonio Sterling Ozil
    Lukaku Ibra Diomande

352 FTW.

I'm just not totally comfortable with defence for some reason. Plus it's going to take a hell of a lot to get Aguero back in.

I like those 5 midfielders though. Might be being foolhardy though?

• Advertisement

Well I've changed everything again and am definitely logging out this time!

Cech Pickford
    Valencia Baines Kone Evans Amat
    Hazard Sanchez Antonio Snodgrass Capoue
    Ibra Lukaku Benteke

No idea how I'll be getting Kun back but I'll worry about that another time!

**** it:

Foster Pickford
    Shaw Williams Kone Collins Amat
    Sanchez Hazard Lamela Antonio Capoue
    Lukaku Ibrahimovic Benteke

That's what I've settled on as opposed to my earlier team.

IMO It's a bit more balanced despite having Sanchez in ahead of Ozil and it also makes things more simple in terms of getting Aguero back. Also, no Sanchez means the side is very light on captaincy options, so having him in is big from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Nearly settled on a wildcard team a little off template.

I wonder why there is very very little mention of Payet round these parts? Is it mainly as with Sanchez or even Costa he's not really an option?

Also no thoughts of Wilshire, looks set to play a No 10 role and decent fixtures 3 of next 5. Ok rusty but a serious point to prove. I like to consider motivation in picking a differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

One thing i've just thought of, I've now no city attacking players in my team but i would imagine over the next 3 gameweek Iheanacho will play up front for City now will he? Might bring him in ahead of Defoe if that's the case or will Pep do like Rodgers and use sterling as a makeshift striker?

One thing i've just thought of, I've now no city attacking players in my team but i would imagine over the next 3 gameweek Iheanacho will play up front for City now will he? Might bring him in ahead of Defoe if that's the case or will Pep do like Rodgers and use sterling as a makeshift striker?

Aguero only misses 2 GWs. Expect Iheanaco will start but may be subbed early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

FHFC wrote: »
    Aguero only misses 2 GWs. Expect Iheanaco will start but may be subbed early.

Ah ok, explains why so little have mentioned him so :rolleyes:

in that case would you go:

Redmond + Lukaku

or

Sterling + Negredo

Just for the next two weeks, aiming not to touch my team next week and bank the transfer to have 2 FT the following week. The second option would mean i'd need to still take a -4 to bring Aguero back in though even with 2FT

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Nearly settled on a wildcard team a little off template.

I wonder why there is very very little mention of Payet round these parts? Is it mainly as with Sanchez or even Costa he's not really an option?

Also no thoughts of Wilshire, looks set to play a No 10 role and decent fixtures 3 of next 5. Ok rusty but a serious point to prove. I like to consider motivation in picking a differential.

Isn't it a little early to be making punts like that though? :)

If I could change my name I think Mr. Sensibili-P might work :pac:

Isn't it a little early to be making punts like that though? :)

If I could change my name I think Mr. Sensibili-P might work :pac:

Payet is not a punt. Created 11 chances in 33 mins for France midweek.

Unlikely to have Wilshire in my team but wondering why pretty much zero mention of him here as a prospect. Played behind striker for 45 mins in friendly and a top quality player, 5.9m

Who are you by the way? Same username as a guy who used to post here. Funny that.

Unlikely to have Wilshire in my team but wondering why pretty much zero mention of him here as a prospect. Played behind striker for 45 mins in friendly and a top quality player, 5.9m

Who are you by the way? Same username as a guy who used to post here. Funny that.

wilshire has played 90 mins once since 2014. If he can stay fit he is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Oh I only meant Wilshire as the punt. He'd want to prove his fitness really and Bournemouth could do with showing signs of life.

Payet could be a nice one alright. It's a classic case of timing it right rather than 2 weeks too early.

I'm really trying to not self destruct before the Spring. There's a certain novelty in making the boring decisions. It's worth a shot anyway, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

I think Payet is a near impossibility for those going with Hazard and Ibrahimovic and who are also dead set on Sanchez (the majority on here it appears). Add in those that want those 3 AND Aguero (something I'm not sure is possible) and there is definitely no room for Payet. Even getting all 5 players at 'cost' takes up 55m of your budget.

I'm not saying it's 'right' to ignore Payet, more looking at the reasons he isn't being mentioned on here. I think 2 of the 'Big 4' would have to go to make him a realistic prospect budget wise.

Wilshere is made of weaker glass than Sturridge so I wouldn't touch him personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Okay so how much of a mess have I made, anyone care to offer an opinion;

Cech-Jako

Shaw-Baines-Evans-Amat-Marc Wilson

Puncheon-Hazard-Sanchez-Capoue-Sterling

Negredo-Zlatan-Lukaku

0.8 ITB

Aguero Plans: Having 2 free transfers

(a) Sterling-Lukaku to Bolasie-Aguero

(b) *Zlatan-Lukaku to Aguero-Rooney

*{3rd transfer needed as I'm 0.5 Short there: Baines to Williams the most likely}
    I may only be 0.3 short if Zlatan rises and Aguero falls in the mean time but not banking on that.

Anyone see any glaring omissions?
    Lack of Spurs cover is worrying, I was going to 'punt' on golden boot winner Kane but think all my rivals will have Lukaku and it's not a time to be a hero.

Marc Wilson's gametime may be a concern but hopefully another 4.0 starter emerges if he doesn't get gametime, same story with Amat.

Have Pickford to Jaku lined up also. Might do that tonight yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Oh I only meant Wilshire as the punt. He'd want to prove his fitness really and Bournemouth could do with showing signs of life.

Payet could be a nice one alright. It's a classic case of timing it right rather than 2 weeks too early.

I'm really trying to not self destruct before the Spring. There's a certain novelty in making the boring decisions. It's worth a shot anyway, right?

Are you sticking with Mirallas, I've put him in my wildcard team with everyone fixtures in mind as I think he'll score better than Barkley if he gets the minutes.
    Will he get the minutes, there still seems like poor enough options to replace him.

If I put aside my fixation with having Costa for this week despite not really fancying him going forward...

Costa & Townsend/sub 6.5 mid
    Or
    Benteke & Sterling??

I've somehow ended up with Lukaku and Bolasie in my team. This won't end well.

Interesting, food for thought.

Opinions please, Mirallas and Williams or Baines and Bolasie?

If I put aside my fixation with having Costa for this week despite not really fancying him going forward...

Costa & Townsend/sub 6.5 mid
    Or
    Benteke & Sterling??

I'd go with Benteke and Sterling in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Benimar wrote: »
    I think Payet is a near impossibility for those going with Hazard and Ibrahimovic and who are also dead set on Sanchez (the majority on here it appears). Add in those that want those 3 AND Aguero (something I'm not sure is possible) and there is definitely no room for Payet. Even getting all 5 players at 'cost' takes up 55m of your budget.

Not impossible for 4 of the 5. I'm going with Ibra, Hazard, Sanchez and Payet until Kun comes back. At that point I'm going to see which of the 3 mids makes most sense to downgrade based on next 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've Lukaku, Benteke and Spaceship this week :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

8-10 wrote: »
    Not impossible for 4 of the 5. I'm going with Ibra, Hazard, Sanchez and Payet until Kun comes back. At that point I'm going to see which of the 3 mids makes most sense to downgrade based on next 2 games.

Whats the rest of your team like? They can obviously all be fitted in, but what compromises have you made elsewhere?

Advertisement