Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildcard Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Lads if you're looking at a Liverpool def i'd be more in-Clyne-d to look at Clyne. Has been getting forward alot and his link up play with Mane in particular has been impressive. More expensive than Lovren but worth it for added attacking potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

manual_man wrote: »
    Lads if you're looking at a Liverpool def i'd be more in-Clyne-d to look at Clyne. Has been getting forward alot and his link up play with Mane in particular has been impressive. More expensive than Lovren but worth it for added attacking potential

Post thanked simply for the pun! Became a Dad this year, so I feel I have to like jokes like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Post thanked simply for the pun! Became a Dad this year, so I feel I have to like jokes like this!

Congrats :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm on the Lovern bandwagon too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Damn you all to hell for planting these seeds of a Liverpool defender in my head!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Any love for Bellerin? Really nice run after this week. Thinking if putting him in my wc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Issac wrote: »
    Any love for Bellerin? Really nice run after this week. Thinking if putting him in my wc

Little too expensive for me, would prefer Kosc or Monreal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Anyone help out. Can't decide between:

A: Baines and Lovren

Or

B: Williams and Vertongen

Liverpool have the better fixtures but Spurs have been better defensively so far.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Anyone help out. Can't decide between:

A: Baines and Lovren

Or

B: Williams and Vertongen

Liverpool have the better fixtures but Spurs have been better defensively so far.

Form over fixtures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Shedite27 wrote:
    Form over fixtures

True. Something I need to remind myself of continuously!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bezuaua

change after change I'm getting close to terminate WC agony...

[URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/eJOLXlL.png[/img]"]eJOLXlL.png[/URL]

Opinions?

bezuaua wrote: »

Opinions?

Given :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

[URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/eJOLXlL.png[/img]"]eJOLXlL.png[/URL]

Opinions?

Image won't open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Given :eek:
    Stoke have some good fixtures coming

ShaneU wrote: »

They are poison at the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I thought Lovren was going to be my little secret weapon. Raging I mentioned him now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I think I'm going to pull the trigger with this tomorrow after press conference info:

Jaku, Pickford
    Holebas, Friend, Amat, Walker, Baines
    Sanchez, Sterling, Capoue, Antonio, Fletcher
    Costa, Lukaku, Aguero

Any feedback?

I think I'm going to pull the trigger with this tomorrow after press conference info:

Jaku, Pickford
    Holebas, Friend, Amat, Walker, Baines
    Sanchez, Sterling, Capoue, Antonio, Fletcher
    Costa, Lukaku, Aguero

Any feedback?

As Ziegler posted on the other thread Jakupovic is under serious pressure from Marshall who was MOTM midweek for Hull and many of their fans hoping he starts this weekend.

Pickford is risky too. At best its a Sunderland one keeper strategy very soon, at worst its no playing keeper.

FHFC wrote: »
    As Ziegler posted on the other thread Jakupovic is under serious pressure from Marshall who was MOTM midweek for Hull and many of their fans hoping he starts this weekend.

Pickford is risky too. At best its a Sunderland one keeper strategy very soon, at worst its no playing keeper.

Thanks, what would be the safest goalkeeper pairing I should go with then?

I don't intend on using my FT on goalkeepers unless urgently needed.

Thanks a whole big bunch for ruining my currently settled WC team.

• Advertisement

Thanks, what would be the safest goalkeeper pairing I should go with then?

I don't intend on using my FT on goalkeepers unless urgently needed.

I think Pickford is worth a risk as 2nd keeper, but the sounds from Hull supporters make Jakupovic too risky imo.

Heaton or Foster with Pickford are good alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Regarding Stoke, they had a similar ****ty start to last season, have a feeling Arnie will be central to them turning things around (if they do), strongly tempted to take a punt on him. Shakira should be back at the weekend which is a big boost for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Opinions on my latest draft?

Foster Jaku
    Jagielka Valencia McAuley Amat Holebas
    Sanchez Lanzini Sterling Capoue Snodgrass
    Costa Lukaku Aguerroo

Foster and Jakupovic can rotate nicely in goals. Would like to have Baines instead of Jags but I would have to downgrade someone else and can't pick anyone apart from maybe Foster > Pickford which I'd be very reluctant at doing.

Not sold on Sanchez but I'll give him another run this season after missing out on his hauls. Lanzini as my differential - would prefer Antonio but Lanzini is cheaper.

Costa Lukaku and Aguero - definitely settled on this.

I think Pickford is worth a risk as 2nd keeper, but the sounds from Hull supporters make Jakupovic too risky imo.

Heaton or Foster with Pickford are good alternatives.

I might downgrade Baines to Williams to get in Foster then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

I might downgrade Baines to Williams to get in Foster then.

Can you get Mannone and Pickford if Jaku rises in price?
    Would that allow you to keep Baines?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bezuaua

Need a 4.5 GK to pair with pickford. Only went with Given because of stoke's next fixtures:

West Brom (H)
    Man Utd (A)
    Sunderland (H)
    Hull (A)
    Swansea (H)
    West Ham (A)
    Bournemouth (H)
    Watford (A)
    Burnley (H)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sanket

McAuley or Collins...who would you start this weekend.. I already have foster in my lineup

Need a 4.5 GK to pair with pickford. Only went with Given because of stoke's next fixtures:

West Brom (H)
    Man Utd (A)
    Sunderland (H)
    Hull (A)
    Swansea (H)
    West Ham (A)
    Bournemouth (H)
    Watford (A)
    Burnley (H)

Go for boruc instead maybe

Rikand wrote: »
    I thought Lovren was going to be my little secret weapon. Raging I mentioned him now ;)
    We know who to blame so if it goes tits up

ShaneU wrote: »

West Brom (H)
    Man Utd (A)
    Sunderland (H)
    Hull (A)
    Swansea (H)
    West Ham (A)
    Bournemouth (H)
    Watford (A)
    Burnley (H)

Given's played 5 times this season and conceded FOUR in 3 of them!

Apart from a penalty "save" (which still went in), he'd be on 5 points from 5 games.

Boruc or Mandanda are much better picks IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Just when you think you're done....

Zlatan Mirallas Snodgrass

Or

Hazard Antonio Rashford

Will Rashford play though. And will his play only help Zlatan.

Looking to play a back 3 with Amat as backup for the next while. General rule is I'm not going above 5.5 for a defender. What do people think are the best 3?

United defender
    Spurs defender (Vertonghen)
    Everton defender
    Watford defender (Holebas)
    Liverpool defender (Lovern)
    Palace defender (Dann)

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Looking to play a back 3 with Amat as backup for the next while. General rule is I'm not going above 5.5 for a defender. What do people think are the best 3?

United defender
    Spurs defender (Vertonghen)
    Everton defender
    Watford defender (Holebas)
    Liverpool defender (Lovern)
    Palace defender (Dann)

Having tinkered with a few options, I think I'm going with Williams - Holebas - Lovren.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭JimboJones99

Tried to use my wildcard this week but for some unthinkable reason I forgot to click on the wildcard option and instead have taken a 32 point hit!!

Is there anyway I can reverse this and use my wildcard instead or do I just have to take my own stupidity on the chin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Tried to use my wildcard this week but for some unthinkable reason I forgot to click on the wildcard option and instead have taken a 32 point hit!!

Is there anyway I can reverse this and use my wildcard instead or do I just have to take my own stupidity on the chin?

If you use your wildcard, it will override any transfers you have made so you won't lost 32 points

siblers wrote: »
    If you use your wildcard, it will override any transfers you have made so you won't lost 32 points

Oh right, thanks, that makes sense.

The head is completely lost here!!

siblers wrote: »

Just to clarify, I actually confirmed the transfers with out clicking on the wildcard so I took a 32 point hit. Now when I go to click on wildcard it says I need to make transfers before it can be activated but obviously I don't need to make any because I already have done so.

Does this mean I am caught anyway with the points hit regardless if I use the wildcard now by changing around my team and then changing it back again once the wildcard is activated?

Just to clarify, I actually confirmed the transfers with out clicking on the wildcard so I took a 32 point hit. Now when I go to click on wildcard it says I need to make transfers before it can be activated but obviously I don't need to make any because I already have done so.

Does this mean I am caught anyway with the points hit regardless if I use the wildcard now by changing around my team and then changing it back again once the wildcard is activated?

Just transfer in a random player to activate the WC. As you can make as many transfers as you want, you can transfer back in the player you actually want immediately afterwards.

Just make sure you don't take out a player that has gone up in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

No. If you activate it now and make changes to your team all points hits for this gameweek will be wiped out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No you will be fine, dont worry about it.

Its just standard text they are using, point hits arent actually taken until the gameweek begins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Right.

After a week of chasing team value as much as I could, let's start to look at my team seriously.

GKs. Foster, Jaku. Paid price = £8.5m.
    Ideally Jaku goes up tonight and I bank the £0.1m profit on him and get Pickford instead. If he doesn't, I may keep him and hopefully make the switch later when he'll have reached £4.2m if it seems necessary.

Defs. Valencia, Baines, McAuley, Amat, Friend. Paid price = £24m.
    I may change Friend for a watford def.
    I could save £1.1m by going gor Lovren, Williams as my big 2. 'Pool have the fixture list but United have Mourinho and he's better at CS than Klopp. Then Baines is a little favourite of mine. I owned him at least for a short period of times every single season since 2010/11. And he always delivered at some point. This year, he's cheaper, plays for a more attack-minded team (a team in good form currently), is on penalties. And well this lovely left foot. But Williams is a BPs whore and this game has to be head over heart. So I'm open to debate.
    Finally McAuley, double Pulis. Fixtures will get tougher (GW8 to 11) but I could just get someone to rotate well with him in place of Friend.

£32.5m spent at the back. Now
    Option A

Mids. Sanchez, Capoue, Antonio, KDB, Firmino. Paid price = £41.3m
    Forwards. Agüero, Lukaku, Diomandé. Price paid = £26.7m.
    I'm actually £0.3m short for this one (but that could be solved at the back).
    Capoue & Diomandé could be rotated.
    Main advantage is KDB whom I rate very high (similar to Sanchez). I haven't checked the stats but I kinda remember that he shined less last year with Agüero than he did without. But this year there is the Pep factor.
    Main disadvantage is I don't really rate Diomandé. And he only playe d41min in his last game.
    As long as Capoue is returning, it also saves me from weekly selection headache.
    Option B

Mids. Sanchez, Capoue, Antonio, Sterling, Firmino. Paid price = £39.2m
    Forwards. Agüero, Lukaku, Rondon/Deeney/Rashford. Price paid = £28.7-29.0m.
    I'm actually £0.4m short for the most expensive option with Deeney. Again that could be solved in defense.
    Capoue & Deeney sounds Watford overkill. So I may take a 1-week punt on Rondon and rashford next GW if it looks like he'll start alongside Ibra.
    Main advantage. Better balance. Sterling looked way better under Guardiola. So if he keeps his current form he could well match KDB returns. Upfront I have a better 3rd striker.
    Main disadvantage. Less flexibility to get a premium player if needed (e.g. Hazard or Ibra since I "lose" £2.2m resale in Sterling from KDB). More selection headaches.

Overall disadvantage. No Chelsea nor Spurs cover. Only Costa is appealing at the moment and to get him in I'd have to downgrade a lot in midfield (Antonio to bench fodder or Firmino/Sterling to Snodgrass) or to ditch Lukaku. And Spurs, tough to pick a mid and not sure about Janssen.

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Iroced (and the rest of WC gang)
    Have you considered cashing in the 0.3M on Capoue after tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mectavba

What price did you get McAuley at? He is 0.3 m more expensive than Evans, unless you had him from the start. Seems like that kind of amount would solve some problems for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Foster---Jaku

Baines--Amat--Friend--Holebas--Lovren

Capoue--Sanchez--Sterling--Snodgrass--Firmino

Benteke--Lukaku--Aguero

No money left, strong front 8 the plan. Can rotate Snodgrass and Capoue.

Anything else I should consider?

iroced wrote: »
    Right.

After a week of chasing team value as much as I could, let's start to look at my team seriously.

GKs. Foster, Jaku. Paid price = £8.5m.
    Ideally Jaku goes up tonight and I bank the £0.1m profit on him and get Pickford instead. If he doesn't, I may keep him and hopefully make the switch later when he'll have reached £4.2m if it seems necessary.

Defs. Valencia, Baines, McAuley, Amat, Friend. Paid price = £24m.
    I may change Friend for a watford def.
    I could save £1.1m by going gor Lovren, Williams as my big 2. 'Pool have the fixture list but United have Mourinho and he's better at CS than Klopp. Then Baines is a little favourite of mine. I owned him at least for a short period of times every single season since 2010/11. And he always delivered at some point. This year, he's cheaper, plays for a more attack-minded team (a team in good form currently), is on penalties. And well this lovely left foot. But Williams is a BPs whore and this game has to be head over heart. So I'm open to debate.
    Finally McAuley, double Pulis. Fixtures will get tougher (GW8 to 11) but I could just get someone to rotate well with him in place of Friend.

£32.5m spent at the back. Now
    Option A

Mids. Sanchez, Capoue, Antonio, KDB, Firmino. Paid price = £41.3m
    Forwards. Agüero, Lukaku, Diomandé. Price paid = £26.7m.
    I'm actually £0.3m short for this one (but that could be solved at the back).
    Capoue & Diomandé could be rotated.
    Main advantage is KDB whom I rate very high (similar to Sanchez). I haven't checked the stats but I kinda remember that he shined less last year with Agüero than he did without. But this year there is the Pep factor.
    Main disadvantage is I don't really rate Diomandé. And he only playe d41min in his last game.
    As long as Capoue is returning, it also saves me from weekly selection headache.
    Option B

Mids. Sanchez, Capoue, Antonio, Sterling, Firmino. Paid price = £39.2m
    Forwards. Agüero, Lukaku, Rondon/Deeney/Rashford. Price paid = £28.7-29.0m.
    I'm actually £0.4m short for the most expensive option with Deeney. Again that could be solved in defense.
    Capoue & Deeney sounds Watford overkill. So I may take a 1-week punt on Rondon and rashford next GW if it looks like he'll start alongside Ibra.
    Main advantage. Better balance. Sterling looked way better under Guardiola. So if he keeps his current form he could well match KDB returns. Upfront I have a better 3rd striker.
    Main disadvantage. Less flexibility to get a premium player if needed (e.g. Hazard or Ibra since I "lose" £2.2m resale in Sterling from KDB). More selection headaches.

Overall disadvantage. No Chelsea nor Spurs cover. Only Costa is appealing at the moment and to get him in I'd have to downgrade a lot in midfield (Antonio to bench fodder or Firmino/Sterling to Snodgrass) or to ditch Lukaku. And Spurs, tough to pick a mid and not sure about Janssen.

What do you guys think?

Option B for me. Rotating Capoue and Diomande just doesn't feel right to me.

Out of interest, have you thought of going with KDB + Walcott over Sterling + Sanchez? 1.0m cheaper.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Foster---Jaku

Baines--Amat--Friend--Holebas--Lovren

Capoue--Sanchez--Sterling--Snodgrass--Firmino

Benteke--Lukaku--Aguero

No money left, strong front 8 the plan. Can rotate Snodgrass and Capoue.

Anything else I should consider?

Holebas is a doubt (apparently).

iroced wrote: »
    Main disadvantage is I don't really rate Diomandé. And he only played 41min in his last game.
    Diomanade only played 41mins because of the sending off, he was sacrificed for another defender. But as you say, you'd likely play Capoue anyway.

Have a look at your starting XI's.
    Regardless of which option, you're going to play Sanchez/Antonio/Firmino/Lukaku/Aguero.
    Option 1: KDB and Capoue
    Option 2: Sterling and Deeney

For me it's stick with Option 1, it's an esy transfer to go to ditch Sanchez/KDB and Capoue and get a balanced 2 whenever Capoue dries up.

As an aside, very similar to my wildcard team. Front 8 currently.... Sanchez/Firmino/Antonio/Capoue
    Aguero/Costa/Lukaku
    (Fletcher for the 2pts on the bench)

ElTel wrote: »
    Iroced (and the rest of WC gang)
    Have you considered cashing in the 0.3M on Capoue after tonight?

I don't think the 0.3m/0.4m savings for De Roon or Fletcher is worth selling the highest points scorer in the game. Unless he totally flops the next few matches, he'll keep going up in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mectavba

Currently hoping that Jaku will go up tonight, so I can use the 0.1m to fix up my Gks and defence on my WC.

Currently have:

Foster, Jaku

Walker, Baines, Holebas, Kelly, Amat

If Jaku rises, he will be dumped for Pickford and Kelly up to Friend most likely.

If he doesnt (prob dump Jaku anyway for Pickford) and then do Foster>Valdes, Kelly>Evans.

Is Valdes nailed on? Anyone any other ideas for me?

mectavba wrote: »
    If he doesnt (prob dump Jaku anyway for Pickford) and then do Foster>Valdes, Kelly>Evans.

Is Valdes nailed on? Anyone any other ideas for me?

Valdes is nailed on, but has some tough fixtures. Mandanda is 4.4m and Boruc or Heaton are good for saves

• Advertisement
Advertisement