Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wildcard Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Thank you. Love is just a 4.0 defender. I hopefully won't ever need to play him. Benching Sterling for the Manchester derby this week but will be a starter after that. Defence is what caused me the most headache. If not Holgate and Collins then who?

Maybe look at Pieters or Souare. Maybe Kone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Xaniaj wrote: »
    I'm heading away on holidays tomorrow, so hoping to have the team sorted tonight. Would love some opinions:

Foster, Pickford
    Shaw, Baines, Amat, Byram, Kone
    Hazard, Lamela, Cazorla, Sterling, Capoue
    Ibra, Negredo, Costa

Moved out Jaku for Pickford. Amat may lose his spot but Shaw and Baines will be played every week with a rotation of Byram and Kone. Is Byram nailed on? Want West Ham cover as they have some nice matches coming up.

For mid, I went with Cazorla over Sanchez/Ozil based on penalties. Sterling providing City cover until Aguero returns.

Costa is my 2 week punt until Aguero comes back, I'll be moving him out for Aguero and downgrading Sterling at the same time to afford it!

Sounds like a decent plan though I'm a Sanchez fan.

About WH defensive options => http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100946938&postcount=2137.

Is Koné nailed on at Sunderland? They have so many defs... What about Pieters at Stoke or Souaré at Palace?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

iroced wrote: »
    or Souaré at Palace?

No.

Don't do it.

You're free, you can live a happy life.

Can't you get 3 of the big 4? Doesn't sanchez to ozil allow you Benteke to Agüero?

Maybe 4 mid to premium def is too much and you could just find a cheapie who rotates well with Amat. Palace, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Stoke have decent fixtures. WH too but £5.0m is too expensive for me for a 4th def (I believe Shaw-Williams-Pulis is good for most GWs).

I'd be about 4m short :) I'm not a fan of Sanchez long term so not overly concerned about changing him to Ozil.

West Ham have 4 home fixtures in the next 6, while Everton and WBA only have 2. Pulis or not, their fixtures aren't fantastic and there are a few games (liv, che, maybe even MNC) I'd be looking to bench Shaw.

I take your point though and if I need the 0.5m they are good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

Sounds like a decent plan though I'm a Sanchez fan.

About WH defensive options => http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100946938&postcount=2137.

Is Koné nailed on at Sunderland? They have so many defs... What about Pieters at Stoke or Souaré at Palace?

Pieters is a decent shout out, Kone is a bit of a gamble alright. Will give a proper look at the west ham lineup, thanks for that.

• Advertisement

No.

Don't do it.

You're free, you can live a happy life.
    Why this reluctance towards Souaré? I already read a poster (FHFC maybe?) quivering in fear at the sound of his name :pac: . I had him last year as part of a cheap rotation and I don't remember that many bad things about him bar him getting CS from my bench (but that is a long time speciality of mine :p).

Benimar wrote: »
    West Ham have 4 home fixtures in the next 6, while Everton and WBA only have 2. Pulis or not, their fixtures aren't fantastic and there are a few games (liv, che, maybe even MNC) I'd be looking to bench Shaw.
    Did not realise WH had such a good run. Never heard of Masuaku before though. But if he's to play he's a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Why this reluctance towards Souaré? I already read a poster (FHFC maybe?) quivering in fear at the sound of his name :pac: . I had him last year as part of a cheap rotation and I don't remember that many bad things about him bar him getting CS from my bench (but that is a long time speciality of mine :p).

I was probably the other person complaining about him then too :pac:

Basically I've owned him for much of the past 12 months and he's rarely done anything positive for me. Just one of those irrational things like some people with Pelle/Lukaku really. Especially when he's cheap.

The problem is Palace tend to concede goals and usually it's just Dann scoring goals at the other end.

Basically I've owned him for much of the past 12 months and he's rarely done anything positive for me. Just one of those irrational things like some people with Pelle/Lukaku really. Especially when he's cheap.
    Admittedly but I'd say you kinda expect less from Souaré than from Pellè/Lukaku. And most importantly you'd never captain Souaré. Well I'm saying that to a PVA captainer :pac:. But no you would not captain Souaré. Don't tell me you would :pac:?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Think ill be going with
    DDG jaku
    williams mee evans collins pieters
    sanchez hazard firmino snodgrass capoue
    lukaku defoe ibra

Ill rotate my defence and rotate snodgrass and capoue. Not sure how ill get aguero back it will more than likely be for ibra. Id reallly like an arsenal defender but cant find a mid I like instead of firmino to free up the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Think ill be going with
    DDG jaku
    williams mee evans collins pieters
    sanchez hazard firmino snodgrass capoue
    lukaku defoe ibra

Ill rotate my defence and rotate snodgrass and capoue. Not sure how ill get aguero back it will more than likely be for ibra. Id reallly like an arsenal defender but cant find a mid I like instead of firmino to free up the funds.

Cech and United def. saves you .5m instead of DDG and Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Fairly settled on this:

Foster (Heaton)

Valencia / Baines / Kone (Nsue / Amat)

Hazard / Sanchez / Lamela / Redmond (Capoue)

Ibrahimovic / Lukaku / Defoe

A little unsure whether keeping Kone is a great idea, but I've had him since GW1 and we've bonded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

This is my team. Concerns about midfield. Brought in Fer and Negredo, got one rise, was hoping for a second but looking unlikely now.

DeGea/Jano

Valencia/Terry/Williams/Evans/(Robertson)

Hazard/Sanchez/Lamela/(Fer)/(Hojbjerg)

Costa/Ibra/Negredo

Will probably end up playing 4-3-3.

Toying with the idea of changing Sanchez to Ozil and Hojbjerg to Snodgrass

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

steve_r wrote: »
    This is my team. Concerns about midfield. Brought in Fer and Negredo, got one rise, was hoping for a second but looking unlikely now.

DeGea/Jano

Valencia/Terry/Williams/Evans/(Robertson)

Hazard/Sanchez/Lamela/(Fer)/(Hojbjerg)

Costa/Ibra/Negredo

Will probably end up playing 4-3-3.

Toying with the idea of changing Sanchez to Ozil and Hojbjerg to Snodgrass

I like snodgrass a lot
    His fixtures are making me reluctant though
    It means I'd bring in lukaku instead of Barkley and makes switch to aguero much simpler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Current WC team looking like this
    Foster/Jak(maybe Pickford?)
    Amat/Shaw/Evans/Baines/Collins or Byram
    Sanchez/Mirallas/Hjbjerg/Hazard/Arter or Capoue
    Ibra/Defoe/Lukaku or Costa

Plan is to swap Sanchez and Costa/Lukaku for Ozil and Kun in 2 weeks.
    Put off getting Lukaku as I have 2 Everton already but fixtures are great
    WH defense looks like a must for next few weeks so depends on funds who I will get as that 0.1 is vital!
    Reckon Jak will lose his place so Pickford would be the safer bet?
    Hoping Pulisball works out with double WBA defence!

Any advice/criticism is welcome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

tailgunner wrote: »
    Fairly settled on this:

Foster (Heaton)

Valencia / Baines / Kone (Nsue / Amat)

Hazard / Sanchez / Lamela / Redmond (Capoue)

Ibrahimovic / Lukaku / Defoe

A little unsure whether keeping Kone is a great idea, but I've had him since GW1 and we've bonded.
    What about Byram for Kone? WH have some great fixtures coming up IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Byram has only started the one game so far I think? Fairly sure Kone is more nailed on. Tempted by West Ham alright though, maybe Collins.

The only issue I see with your team is that both Jakupovic and Pickford are likely to lose their places (now that Sunderland have signed Mika). I'd only go for one of them if I was pairing with a premium keeper.

West ham signed arbeloa so I'd imagine he will play rb instead of Byram.

Hey guys,
    For those of you worried about Jaku and Pickford, going with the Burnley GK pair (Heaton and Robinson) costs 8.5m. I know all too well how this strategy can backfire however having started with Manone and Pickford myself.
    I'm still hopeful that it's Pickford's spot to lose so I'd have him over Jaku on a WC but Manone could be close to a return after the next IB. In short avoid them both.
    Oh I've seen a few teams with Pieters in them. He's close to a drop so wait.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

ElTel wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    For those of you worried about Jaku and Pickford, going with the Burnley GK pair (Heaton and Robinson) costs 8.5m. I know all too well how this strategy can backfire however having started with Manone and Pickford myself.
    I'm still hopeful that it's Pickford's spot to lose so I'd have him over Jaku on a WC but Manone could be close to a return after the next IB. In short avoid them both.
    Oh I've seen a few teams with Pieters in them. He's close to a drop so wait.
    Best of luck.

Is Robinson definitely second choice behind Heaton?

He has been on the bench but there is another lad pope that could be 2nd choice. Gilks who was. 2nd choice last yr has left.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure tbh.

Puncheon and Defoe or Benteke and Snodgrass is the final piece of my puzzle I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm torn with my team

GKs - Want two playing GKs in case Pickford/Jaku lose their place. Think it is worth the 0.5m here

DFs - At the start of the season I couldn't decide between Shaw & Valencia and both have done well under Mourinho so I've gone with both

McAuley is a way into WBA defence but not sure if doubling up is the right call

Nsue is because Friend is injured

Amat is cheap and more likely to play I think than other 4.0 def

MF

Hazard - No explanation needed
    Sterling - Looks quality under Pep
    Sanchez - Could save a lot of cash here with Carzola instead but will he keep his place
    Antonio - Great fixtures and playing RW again now instead of RB
    Capoue - Had him since the start and no reason to change

Fwd

Ibra - No explanation needed
    Defoe - Good fixtures and basically their only striker
    Bony - Expect good things from him at Stoke but I'm likely wrong!

Any thoughts?

Untitled.png

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

We have a lot of similar players! (I'm on WC too)

I have Shaw, McAuley, Amat, Hazard, Sanchez, Antonio, Capoue, Ibra and Defoe, so no argument from me on any of those.

I have Benteke to your Bony but thats a toss of a coin and I could change yet.

Where I differ is your GKs and Defence. I really want some Arsenal defensive coverage and the cheapest route is Cech so I'm going with him and either Pickford or Jakupovic.

The only concerns I'd have about your defence is the double up on Man U and WBA. Personally I'm not a fan of defensive double ups, but that could be just me.

I've gone with Williams and Masuaku for now but am tempted to downgrade Masuaku to Kone to possibly upgrade Barkley.

He has been on the bench but there is another lad pope that could be 2nd choice. Gilks who was. 2nd choice last yr has left.

Ya just had a look around there and couldn't find anything definitive. Just this article from when Pope signed, which makes it sound like Dyche would play Robinson if Heaton got injured, due to his greater experience:

"The shot stopper takes the number of senior goalkeepers at Turf Moor to three, and Dyche believes the new man will learn from Tom Heaton and Paul Robinson, who both now bring England experience to the camp.

With Nick, he is a senior keeper and he’s played a good amount of football, but I still think there’s more to come,” said the Clarets chief.

“He is senior/still developing. All goalkeepers are, Tom still works hard on his game and Robbo is very open minded to work hard on his game, but Nick is still learning and still developing and we think there’s more to come from him, but I thought he gave a good account of himself (at Bradford).”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

@lassykk. No plan to get Aguero back in? Overall I think it looks pretty good. Sterling sure is playing well but there's a little bit of rotation risk with Sane fit and available now. Nsue in defense could be at risk of losing his spot to Chambers (who has played RB as well as CB) who Boro just signed. Friend is a safer option now for the same price I think. Double Man U defense is a punt but one which could pay off - an Everton defender instead is a good option also. Bony has massive potential but is it a bit soon to get him? Personally I'd hold off on that one for now (GW10 onwards Stokes fixtures are lovely so there's no rush). I fancy Liverpool mids to score well but you can't have them all and you certainly do have a strong looking midfield lineup there. I reckon Heaton/Robinson is a pretty safe bet if you want to save a little £ (Heaton has very rarely missed a game and I'd guess Robinson is 2nd choice for his PL experience). Certainly a good-looking team though that could score well

Here's what I've ended up with:

Heaton Robinson
    Baines Valencia Kone Evans Amat
    Hazard Antonio Nolito Ozil Capoue
    Defoe Ibra Benteke

Going with Ozil over Sanchez for now as I'll be captaining Ibra for the next two weeks probably. Nolito is a punt until Kun is back. Prefer him to Sterling and would like City coverage for Bournemouth at home. No Everton cover apart from Baines as I just don't know who the best pick is yet and want to wait and see on that one.

Aguero plan would be to downgrade Nolito to a cheapie and upgrade whichever of Defoe/Benteke has least impressed over the next few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭Damien360

big panic wildcard and not sure I have done well at all. Struggled to get a decent team

wildcard%20team_zpsqnvqyodx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Changed once again.

Kone/Amat ouy
    Collins/Love in.

Rotation between back 4 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Changed once again.

Kone/Amat ouy
    Collins/Love in.

Rotation between back 4 as well.