Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcard Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭JakeBell

I am surprised about the amount of people playing WC to make relatively minor changes. Unless you are facing multiple drops or are missing someone like Ibra I don't see any reason to play WC now.

I appreciate that playing WC early has been correct decision in last couple of seasons but every season is different. There is no way I would trust Negredo or Redmond for my WC based on what they have done so far. Whereas it was plain to see that the likes of Mahrez were on another level last year. Aguero, Ibra, Shaw and Capoue are only 4 players who I have seen this year that I would have 100% in WC team - other than that you are for example swapping Barkley for Tadic or vice versa just for changes sake.

In my opinion if your team is mostly in good shape now it is better practice to hold it for later and see what the season brings.
    The early stages have more players active than any other time and more people making transfers/wildcards than at any other time. You're right about Negredo or Redmond of course but that's not the real point of it. There are more risers and fallers than at any other time in the game so it's a great time to make some extra cash.

I haven't been paying as much attention as others but this week I'll make .3m in transfer rises. Plus one of the players I want in long term has dropped .1 so I was able to take him out and will bring him back at the lower price. There are one or two other cheap players who have been rising that I'll keep for the time being (mostly on the bench). These have risen .1 but if they have another good week they'll rise a lot more.

The wildcard is probably worth .5m to me, a bit more with a bit of luck. This is what makes all the difference.
    I pick players and a bench I'm confident will start and score well over time so I don't see any period before January where I'll need to make a large number of sudden changes. The second wild card will be used strategically with a DGW in the later half of the season.

Anyone activating their wildcard today has made a hash of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Biggest incoming lads for me were Ibra & Mane. I alse decided to go with Tadic & Mirallis as opposed to Barkley & Redmond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

My team is looking like:

GK: Foster, Jakupovic
    DF: Amat, Marc Wilson, Shaw, Funes Mori, Souaré
    MF: Hazard, Capoue, Redmond, Barkley, Mané
    FW: Ibra, Aguero, Negredo

However, it leaves me with 0.2m in the bank. Which is exactly enough to go with Tadic/Mirallas instead of Redmond/Barkley. Can't make my mind up on which combo I prefer more!

SantryRed wrote: »
    My team is looking like:

GK: Foster, Jakupovic
    DF: Amat, Marc Wilson, Shaw, Funes Mori, Souaré
    MF: Hazard, Capoue, Redmond, Barkley, Mané

However, it leaves me with 0.2m in the bank. Which is exactly enough to go with Tadic/Mirallas instead of Redmond/Barkley. Can't make my mind up on which combo I prefer more!

Similar and the exact same midfield dilemma but I went the other way to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

dahat wrote: »
    Similar and the exact same midfield dilemma but I went the other way to you.

I'm going Barkley/Redmond purely because Everton's fixtures are better in the next five, therefore more potential of penalties. That's all the logic I got :pac:

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'm going Barkley/Redmond purely because Everton's fixtures are better in the next five, therefore more potential of penalties. That's all the logic I got :pac:

As good as reason as any reallly. Mine is getting Tadic at 7.4 after selling at 7.5!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I was all set to wildcard ahead of GW4 but I'm actually very happy with my team aside from a couple of things. I did Sigurdsson to Mirallas earlier this week.

I've been extremely unlucky with Tadic suffering a drop as statistically he has been one of the better midfielders in the league so far but has somehow blanked in both games. Whereas I hold my hands up on the striker decision, I took the wrong option in going with Long over Gray or Negredo who were under serious consideration.

GK: Foster/Jakupovic
    DEF's: Shaw/Stones/Terry/Friend/Amat
    MID's: Hazard/Tadic/Townsend/Mirallas/Capoue
    FOR's: Aguero/Ibrahimovic/Long

This gameweek will tell a lot as all my midfielders are at home with Townsend at home Bournemouth very interesting and Long has a home game to a woeful Sunderland side. However, as I did build for the first 3 GW's, the fixtures start to turn nasty for some players so that needs to be looked at too. I'm quite happy with my midfield yet they are not really giving me a return as of yet, it's a strange position to be in. :pac:

If I was given free reign on the above I'd probably only change Jakupovic to Pickford, Friend to a different £4.5m pending his injury news, and Long to Gray or Negredo. As I said, this gameweek will tell a lot as if Townsend and Tadic blank again it's probably time to reshuffle the midfield, but it looks like I might just take a -4 at the moment instead of sticking with my wildcard plan which was forged from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

Is Amat going to be under threat from Mawson just signed from Barnsley and Jakupovic will presumably lose his place if Marshall signs for Hull - 4m enablers could be down to Wilson (will he start?)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Pre wildcard:

Foster(Jakupovic)
    Friend,Amat,PvA(Francis,Mee)
    Firmino,Sanchez,Redmond,Deulofeu(Fletcher)
    Aguero,Costa,Vardy

Post wildcard:

Foster(Heaton)
    Valencia, Holgate, McAuley,Collins,PvA
    Barkley,Hazard,Redmond,Townsend,Capoue
    Aguero,Ibrahimvic,Negredo.

I've decided to drop my 4.0 million players as they would be impossible to replace later without using two transfers.
    I did have Nolito in my team but downgraded to Barkley to upgrade Amat and Jakupovic

Players in bold are carry overs from original team.

GK:
    Foster and Heaton rotate perfectly for the season, points will be left on the bench no doubt, but c'est la vie.

DEF:
    Valencia will be the mainstay.
    Holgate is a cheap way into the Everton defense who have a decent run of fixtures(STO,sun,MID,bou,CRY).
    Pva will play a lot and McAuley to double up on WBA.
    Collins has nice fixtures after MCI tomorrow.

MID:
    Hazard, seems to be back on form.
    Barkley, - wanted Nolito, but needed money to upgrade defense. Fixtures are nice(see above).
    Redmond, midfielder playing as a striker.
    Townsend, decent player, decent fixtures.
    Capoue, 4.5 bench fodder who will increase in value. May rotate with Townsend.

STR:
    Aguero,Ibrahimvic - off to great starts. Auto captain Aguero with an odd switch to Ibrahimovic.
    Negredo, on form but I have enough funds to get Benteke in if he shows a bit of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭dasa29

I wildcarded earlier in the week and this is my team for this gameweek

GK: Foster,
    DF: Amat, Smith, mcAuley
    MF: Hazard, coutinho, lamela, mirallas
    subs, Jakupovic, Capoue, friend, collins

99.1m
    2.5m itb.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    I was all set to wildcard ahead of GW4 but I'm actually very happy with my team aside from a couple of things. I did Sigurdsson to Mirallas earlier this week.

I've been extremely unlucky with Tadic suffering a drop as statistically he has been one of the better midfielders in the league so far but has somehow blanked in both games. Whereas I hold my hands up on the striker decision, I took the wrong option in going with Long over Gray or Negredo who were under serious consideration.

GK: Foster/Jakupovic
    DEF's: Shaw/Stones/Terry/Friend/Amat
    MID's: Hazard/Tadic/Townsend/Mirallas/Capoue
    FOR's: Aguero/Ibrahimovic/Long

This gameweek will tell a lot as all my midfielders are at home with Townsend at home Bournemouth very interesting and Long has a home game to a woeful Sunderland side. However, as I did build for the first 3 GW's, the fixtures start to turn nasty for some players so that needs to be looked at too. I'm quite happy with my midfield yet they are not really giving me a return as of yet, it's a strange position to be in. :pac:

If I was given free reign on the above I'd probably only change Jakupovic to Pickford, Friend to a different £4.5m pending his injury news, and Long to Gray or Negredo. As I said, this gameweek will tell a lot as if Townsend and Tadic blank again it's probably time to reshuffle the midfield, but it looks like I might just take a -4 at the moment instead of sticking with my wildcard plan which was forged from the outset.

Well, that didn't work out. :pac:

Time to wildcard I think as I need to get rid of my entire midfield except Hazard and Capoue and also need to move Long on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

2.59pm - team looks good, no need to WC.

4.50pm - WC time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

No Sanchez? I own three of them. Maybe wildcard not so must have for me depending on how the week goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Think it's time to wildcard. Need to ship out Townsend, Hojberg (OK but better options), Firminho and Gray. Can see them leaking value also.

Need Arsenal coverage badly and will take some surgery to get in Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I highly doubt Holgate and Fer double rise. FHFC will be along shortly to tell us how price rises during international breaks are no different

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Wring thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

KevIRL wrote: »
    Wring thread

Didn't the winner last year have no more than 20 transfers throughout the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I'm so glad I wildcarded last week. Although there was no points differential I wouldn't know where to start with drafting up a Wildcard team during IB. So many options out there now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

I highly doubt Holgate and Fer double rise. FHFC will be along shortly to tell us how price rises during international breaks are no different

GW5 is a Friday night kick-off.
    I think that looks a better time for my WC notwithstanding the Manchester Derby this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

havent really been following price rises. What is the best site for checking this info and who is looking like going up and down tonight. Seriously debating wildcarding tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,199 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

havent really been following price rises. What is the best site for checking this info and who is looking like going up and down tonight. Seriously debating wildcarding tonight.

Fpl stats seems to be the most reliable so far. It has Jak and Fer going up tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Fpl statistics
    FFFix is all over the shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Fpl stats seems to be the most reliable so far. It has Jak and Fer going up tonight.

At this stage it feels like Jakupoic has been set for a rise since McGregor got injured during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Trying to decide if I am wildcarding or not.... because if I am, I jump right now and bring in Fer and Capoue.... but if I'm not, I probably just bring in Capoue....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Zero chance. People still not getting it. And this guy sells himself as a price changes expert on twitter!

Last 2 seasons.
    Max 0.2 or more rises in any GW = 4.
    Last 2 early international breaks, 0.2 or more rises; 14/15 = 3, 15/16 = 1
    Last 2 years prices rises in first international break lowest of weeks 3 to 7.

ElTel wrote: »
    GW5 is a Friday night kick-off.
    I think that looks a better time for my WC notwithstanding the Manchester Derby this week.

Now this is spot on advice though. The two Friday nights factor is new and will tend toward more rice changes in the GW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

FHFC wrote: »
    Zero chance. People still not getting it. And this guy sells himself as a price changes expert on twitter!

Last 2 seasons.
    Max 0.2 or more rises in any GW = 4.
    Last 2 early international breaks, 0.2 or more rises; 14/15 = 3, 15/16 = 1
    Last 2 years prices rises in first international break lowest of weeks 3 to 7.

Have no stats to back it up but think the week before and the gw just after the first international break are probably best times to get the most out of price rises on a wildcard.
    Saying that, right now it's really tempting to press the button.

Have no stats to back it up but think the week before and the gw just after the first international break are probably best times to get the most out of price rises on a wildcard.
    Saying that, right now it's really tempting to press the button.

There is no week to get any tangible benefit from price rises on the actual wildcard week. The wildcard value gain bonanza is a myth.

Gaining value from wildcard is about avoiding drops and having the rising players over the GW3 to GW7 period as well as being able to get in players you want long term before they go up 0.1 or 0.2.

E.g. if you need Hazard (and you do need Hazard) and you wait till GW4 or 5 you'll probably pay 0.3 or 0.4 more for him which reduces your budget elsewhere substantially.

Edit. I really don't want to constantly repost my own article here but will reluctantly do so again as all the relevant stats from last 2 seasons are here and very relevant to people considering wildcarding. As above, a 'double friday' week (like GW5) is new and probably a significant benefit price rise wise. And generally the GW immediately after the break is better than the break itself.

http://fantasyfootballpundits.com/early-season-fpl-price-change-trends-and-implications-for-wildcard-strategy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,199 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

First draft with Ozil rather than Sanchez

Heaton Jak
    Valencia Baines Kone Evans Amat
    Hazard Ozil Redmond/Bolasie Snodgrass Capoue
    Kun Ibra Benteke

Looks fairly well balanced I think.

Advertisement