Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price- Please read Mod note in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,156 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mooooo wrote: »
    Can they not show ye where or who the overpayment is made if they are demanding it back? Could be at least an opportunity to see how exactly the fixed part is arrived upon if it is milk that is locked in
    8 pages of a milk statment, then trading statement is seperate, really want to be concentrating especially when in a few fixed price schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Mooooo wrote: »
    Can they not show ye where or who the overpayment is made if they are demanding it back? Could be at least an opportunity to see how exactly the fixed part is arrived upon if it is milk that is locked in
    8 pages of a milk statment, then trading statement is seperate, really want to be concentrating especially when in a few fixed price schemes
    8 pages? That's crazy. Dairygold is two, I think a small paragraph showing how much in fixed and what it's worth then as well. Has solids for last 12 months on it coop top and bottom 10% and average and then your price breakdown for month along with quality scorecard and that's it more or less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

stanflt wrote: »
    Glanbia

25.23 3.85 and 3.42p
    1 cpl deducted before that for fixed price schemes that were supposed to be a benefit to the farmer

Stan, is that 1c off all your milk, all your fixed price milk or the portion in index linked scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Stan, is that 1c off all your milk, all your fixed price milk or the portion in index linked scheme?

That reads like a list of options for management to choose from when they decide to fcuk you over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

Nearly 1 cpl across all my milk this month

Fuming as the only positive with being a Glanbia supplier was there fixed price scheme which now are really only a liability with Glanbia able to take money back without any notifications

If I was the man in Nigeria selling the milk id be worried that there could be a mass exudes of Glanbia suppliers -

Word on the ground is that disgruntled farmers are really to picket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Fuming as the only positive with being a Glanbia supplier was there fixed price scheme which now are really only a liability with Glanbia able to take money back without any notifications

If I was the man in Nigeria selling the milk id be worried that there could be a mass exudes of Glanbia suppliers -

There's only one day to picket and that's somewhere around the 15th -18th of Dec. Volumes are very small and they have huge demand for every drop most of it for fresh product. No warning or as little as possible. Power to a point.

There's only one day to picket and that's somewhere around the 15th -18th of Dec. Volumes are very small and they have huge demand for every drop most of it for fresh product. No warning or as little as possible. Power to a point.

3 hrs would do it

Is most of your milk fixed? Confused

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭stanflt

Is most of your milk fixed? Confused

No very small proportion

The total deduction was equalivant to a 6cpl penalty on my fixed milk for this month- making the price lower than there ****ty base price

wouldnt even have to picket , just block the entrance to your farm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Unfortunately if it's done anything like the beef factory pickets it will be done in such a way as to miamize disruption. Possibly on a bank holiday when the factory might be closed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I got lambasted for being against fixed price schemes, in theory not a bad idea but in ireland.. I hope in hell arrabawn don't go down that route. Nothing worse than a claw back especially with s/l fine and crap price. I thought when I read about Fonterra in Australia it would never happen here, I don't like a new precedence

Now wouldn't that be dumb
    Get the milk through the meter first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

If glanbia think nothing of the fixed price agreement then why the fcuk are the farmers honouring the msa? Time to call these ***** bluff.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

On another note did any glanbia/mafia suppliers get a letter a few weeks back about cashing in shares? My mother got one I didn't really follow it up as I usually advise her to do the opposite to what them pricks want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I got lambasted for being against fixed price schemes, in theory not a bad idea but in ireland.. I hope in hell arrabawn don't go down that route. Nothing worse than a claw back especially with s/l fine and crap price. I thought when I read about Fonterra in Australia it would never happen here, I don't like a new precedence

I stayed the hell away from any fixed price scheme, I'm cynical in terms of all insurance policies providers always have a cut out of it,(which this simply is, an insurance against low milk price), similarly I've been lucky enough to stay away from any of the advanced payments schemes, loans etc. They have their place with highly borrowed systems, but I'm totally allergic to borrowing heavily to expand in dairying, I just don't have the long term confidence in dairying while we pursue this race to the bottom international commodity path.

Anyways on a different note. All this Glanbia "cookie jar fund" , coop support, "our own money" topups, call it what ya like, anyways will that all have to be paid back??? And if so in what format? Will it be something like if the Base goes above 30c will Glanbia spend the next year deducting 1 or 2 c/l off our cheques every month???

On another note did any glanbia/mafia suppliers get a letter a few weeks back about cashing in shares? My mother got one I didn't really follow it up as I usually advise her to do the opposite to what them pricks want.

My dad got it too. He is getting advice on it. Don't rush into anything

No not really I assume like here most farms would have 4or 5 days storage at that time of year . I'm not talking about dumping it

No not really I assume like here most farms would have 4or 5 days storage at that time of year . I'm not talking about dumping it

Who would coordinate this?
    It would need to be kept very quiet in the days leading up to a blockade. Why block so many locations when 2 plants would take much less resources?

I don't agree . If a days milk in the slurry in December was to secure a 1c increase across the year. Would be the best paying milk ever produced. No point in protesting if your not willing to call their bluff.

What have we become? In a year when we remember people who were willing to sacrifice their lives for what they believed was right. We are gone so soft we would be afraid to sacrifice a days milk in December. No wonder they walk all over us

• Advertisement

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    I don't agree . If a days milk in the slurry in December was to secure a 1c increase across the year. Would be the best paying milk ever produced. No point in protesting if your not willing to call their bluff.

What have we become? In a year when we remember people who were willing to sacrifice their lives for what they believed was right. We are gone so soft we would be afraid to sacrifice a days milk in December. No wonder they walk all over us

We've enough 1916 now for a while :(
    A four hour blockade of trucks getting into the liquid plants around in the second week of December would get their attention and not 1 drop needs to go to slurry pit.
    It's brains that's required not brawn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

A four hour blockade of trucks getting into the liquid plants around in the second week of December would get their attention and not 1 drop needs to go to slurry pit.

+1 easier co ordinate a plant picket in a very short time frame than relying on farmers to hold dump milk ,lots will bottle it and just let truck in .action at the gates cut supply ,get the TV cameras insect do week December would be perfect timing and have a big effect .bigfest problem would be keeping the organisation of it hush hush till go time

Brains involve looking at the bigger picture. It is what has allowed man to demonstcate animals. If farmers had looked at the bigger picture and not short term gain, they wouldn't have followed the bucket and got their head stuck in the sculling gates of msas and fixed price confusion schemes. You may be right that spilling milk is going to far, but unless you are prepared to bite you will not be taken serious when you bark.

The real problem here is the laws governing our co ops allow them to do what ever they bloody well want. As farmers we have very little legal rights and the final nail in the coffin was the Msas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Mooooo wrote:
    Can they not show ye where or how the overpayment is made if they are demanding it back? Could be at least an opportunity to see how exactly the fixed part is arrived upon if it is milk that is locked in

+1000

As I've said before, it is of the utmost importance to determine whether a fixed price contact is a transparent mirror of a single customer contract, or an arbitrary pricing mechanism created by the processor.

If it turns out to be the latter, the so called co-op is actually making a book against one group of its suppliers to the (potential) benefit of others.... that is a very different animal.

I get the feeling that nobody in ICSMA etc. really understands the implications of these arrangements or knows what questions to ask. As prices (hopefully) recover making the most of these arrangements and making them transparent needs to be an industry priority.

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Brains involve looking at the bigger picture. It is what has allowed man to demonstcate animals. If farmers had looked at the bigger picture and not short term gain, they wouldn't have followed the bucket and got their head stuck in the sculling gates of msas and fixed price confusion schemes. You may be right that spilling milk is going to far, but unless you are prepared to bite you will not be taken serious when you bark.

The real problem here is the laws governing our co ops allow them to do what ever they bloody well want. As farmers we have very little legal rights and the final nail in the coffin was the Msas.

Bla bla bla more of the same nonsense out of you.

Will you for once offer a credible solution to the guys in ybs sculling gate as you so eloquently put it.

One sure thing is I'll spill no milk.

Ed, is it all farmers that are to with hold milk or all suppliers including yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

We've enough 1916 now for a while A four hour blockade of trucks getting into the liquid plants around in the second week of December would get their attention and not 1 drop needs to go to slurry pit. It's brains that's required not brawn

It might become important for every farm to impose a comprehensive on site disinfection protocol on the milk tanker, including a written statement of movements prior to and planned after the pickup.

Traceability & bio security, can't be too careful.

kowtow wrote: »
    It might become important for every farm to impose a comprehensive on site disinfection protocol on the milk tanker, including a written statement of movements prior to and planned after the pickup.

Traceability & bio security, can't be too careful.

Now that's good lol

Bla bla bla more of the same nonsense out of you.

Will you for once offer a credible solution to the guys in ybs sculling gate as you so eloquently put it.

One sure thing is I'll spill no milk.

Two simple questions? do you still think the Msas were a good idea and do you think they should be extended in to the future?

I didn't sign and as a result I have enjoyed a better price for my milk than people who did.

Call me a fool if it makes you feel better. But I have to agree with you farmers won't spill milk because quite simply we collectively lack backbone and management know it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭6270red

Remember being at farmers meetings in 09 I think. They had some Offaly TD or someone there and they were planning a blockade of the processors plants. All seemed to be getting a good response.
    Talking to lads after the meeting the mood was.. Why would I block the plant sure I've no winter milk!! We were in a mainly Spring calving room.
    That'll tell ya how far we will go for each other. Not far. No balls. No leadership.
    I think that no one should leave bord bia inspectors inside the gate. If they want quality assured product then they can pay for it first. I won't be renewing here anyway told the milk manager the same yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement