Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭sporina

dudara wrote: »
    I'd have to agree. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever had a good meal there.

last time i was there pizza was awful and the other's pasta dishes were v v heavy/saucy.. stodgy .. but the staff are fab

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My experience was the total opposite. I go there quite regularly and have found it to be outstanding each time. I'd rate it higher than La Dolce Vita, personally. I also think it's very reasonably priced compared to other places in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭what the hell!

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    My experience was the total opposite. I go there quite regularly and have found it to be outstanding each time. I'd rate it higher than La Dolce Vita, personally. I also think it's very reasonably priced compared to other places in town.

No way could you say it's reasonably priced- 17 plus for pasta dishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭what the hell!

yet again - there seems to be so much subjectivity when it comes to restaurant reviews..
    but i guess the majority rules prevails

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I haven't eaten in La Dolce Vita however I have eaten lunch on a few occasions in Tiramisu, next door and owned by the same people (as far as I know). The food is delicious, beautiful handmade sandwiches with salad for EUR4 and lots of pizza and pasta options which are really reasonable too.

I have also eaten in Il Padrino and whilst lunch and dinner may not be comparable would have to say I find their prices on the higher side.

It's in the same price bracket as La Dolce Vita, I just had a look at their menu and many of their pasta dishes are also €17+. I prefer Il Padrinos, they also do great wine so I prefer eating there.

On their lunch menu, everything is under a tenner. There are burger joints charging €15+ for a burger and a few chips so I have no problem paying €17 for a pasta dish I enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Unfortunately I never had a good meal in Il Padrono either. Gallo and Galetti is my go to Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭walsh08

Il Padrino is very very good.
    Lovely pasta dishes for 10 euro at lunch time.Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

Reviews of Rooster Pil Pil!! I just see a groupon deal there for it. Might try it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Tried La Dolce Vita after reading about it here and wasn't really impressed with their pizzas. Soggy base and sparse toppings, nowhere near anything I've eaten in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Reviews of Rooster Pil Pil!! I just see a groupon deal there for it. Might try it out

Went when it opened first in ballincollig and it was really nice, like a nandos but better service and more options on flavour.
    Went back a few weeks later and it was sh1te. Really bad service and badly cooked food. Didnt give it a 3rd go.

Found Roosters to be very bland and underwhelming. I love Nandos but can't justify the ridiculous pricing of it, but I'd rather pay the extra than go to Roosters. Tried it a few times and just don't understand the hype.
    Service is fab but the food was tasteless and not well presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Ate in The Overdraught Minane Bridge last night. Very very nice, we both had blackpudding tartlet for starters, I had lamb shoulder and herself had roast chicken, all served with excellent spring mash and veggies and a glass of wine for herself, €52. We'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

I thought the overdraught was closed! Used to love going there with my Dad.. Might be worth a spin out.

Thanks WhiteRoses the only other review I have relates to food poisoning so maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Found Roosters to be very bland and underwhelming. I love Nandos but can't justify the ridiculous pricing of it, but I'd rather pay the extra than go to Roosters. Tried it a few times and just don't understand the hype.
    Service is fab but the food was tasteless and not well presented.

Are you on about the place in Douglas near Tesco? Rooster Pil Pil is a different place.

I've never eaten in Pil Pil.
    Roosters is nice, nothing amazing. I wouldn't say Nandos is any better than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Any thoughts on Tandoori Nights, McCurtain St.?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Any thoughts on Tandoori Nights, McCurtain St.?

I've had their €5 lunch thali.
    It's pretty good and seriously good value.

any update on chilli padi in the city - as in, whats going to take its place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Milly33 wrote: »
    I thought the overdraught was closed! Used to love going there with my Dad.. Might be worth a spin out.

Thanks WhiteRoses the only other review I have relates to food poisoning so maybe not.
    Reopened about 6 months ago, well worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Footoo wrote: »
    Well they're living up to their name as a smoke house!

Too soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

That's such a shame! Appears to be an electrical fault, according to some reports? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

Had weekend in Cork and did the tasting menu with wines in Greenes. Fantastic meal.

Night before did a rake of sushi in Sakura and that was lovely too.

Would recommend both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Excellent coffee, scones and cakes in Warren Allen, along with friendly service and nice surroundings.

Good to have a decent coffee shop on Maylor St. They open on Sundays also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone know any more about Elbow Lane?

Is it open or closed?
    How bad was the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Anyone know any more about Elbow Lane?

Is it open or closed?
    How bad was the damage?

They've a sign up saying they are doing a couple of refurbishments after a small fire and they'd be open again shortly. It doesn't look damaged from the outside so hopefully it was contained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Well Holy Smoke!
    Went here Sunday night. It's nice, nothing amazing. Food was tasty but no better than other places in town. We got a sharing plate with chicken, ribs, pulled pork, corn on the cob and corn bread. Decent size for 15. Had similar food in Coqbull and White Rabbit that was as nice.

Cool setting and good vibe in there. Would go again but probably not for a while. If you like BBQ food it's worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭whatever76

Went to Elm Tree over the weekend - cant fault service and ambiance of the place its lovely - cant say same for food though . v dissappointing I have to admit and it wasnt just me my partner said same.
    Food was just bland and portions sizes way to big !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

whatever76 wrote: »
    Went to Elm Tree over the weekend - cant fault service and ambiance of the place its lovely - cant say same for food though . v dissappointing I have to admit and it wasnt just me my partner said same.
    Food was just bland and portions sizes way to big !

I'm surprised at that now to be honest, as I was only there last weekend myself and really enjoyed it! :) My brother isn't too gone on the place either though so maybe it depends what you get...!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement