Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

casualr wrote: »
    Visiting Cork soon with my husband. Would love a nice restaurant recommendation for somewhere in the city. Don't mind spending a bit. We are not picky eaters and my husband has a particular fondness for seafood. Thanks!

Les Gourmandaise, Fenns Quay, Fish bar in Electric, Market Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 casualr

Forgot to mention that I tried Market Lane a couple of years back with friends and really liked it but would like to try somewhere different.Will look at the menus of the other places. Thanks!

Electric fish bar is quite fun. Informal but the food can be really good.
    Have a right soft sport for Fenn's Quay. It's cheap, service is usually good, and it's nicer than the sum of it's parts.
    Les Gourmandaise is pretty formal but the food is interesting and good.
    Greenes is nice too and a nice setting. Orso is great but small and a little different. Personally like the Cornstore if you you fancy a good cocktail with pretty standard but enjoyable food but some people here hate it.

To be honest you can't really go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭sporina

Electric fish bar is quite fun. Informal but the food can be really good.
    Have a right soft sport for Fenn's Quay. It's cheap, service is usually good, and it's nicer than the sum of it's parts.
    Les Gourmandaise is pretty formal but the food is interesting and good.
    Greenes is nice too and a nice setting. Orso is great but small and a little different. Personally like the Cornstore if you you fancy a good cocktail with pretty standard but enjoyable food but some people here hate it.

To be honest you can't really go wrong!

Electric - noooo... too much of a gamble.. I had thee worst restaurant experience there in my life.. and brought visitors there so was mortified.. and have heard bad reviews since..

Les Gourmandaise is good but its fine dining and v formal..

Star Anise on Bridge street is A1 - french owned.. french/mediterranean type cuisine.. way more reasonable that restaurants offering the same menu.. all produce is local,,,, they always have a few specials.. usually 2 fish of the day dishes.. great wine menu too.. and no i have no connection with it apart from having consistently great meals there..

Green's is ok but a bit stiff.. food hit/miss..

Cornstore - I would not recommend.. have had 2 bad experiences there.. food is not special..

Orso is divine.. but you cannot reserve a table.. mid week or early night should be ok - otherwise waiting times would be approx 45 min.. its middle eastern inspired cuisine.. divine.. fish on menu as well as a fish special.. its a foodie heaven but it is small.. service is fab though.. its a wonderful dining experience

Didn't fancy Star Anaise at all personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Avoid Cornstore and Electric!

Cornstore very good last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Visiting Cork soon with my husband. Would love a nice restaurant recommendation for somewhere in the city. Don't mind spending a bit. We are not picky eaters and my husband has a particular fondness for seafood. Thanks!

Everyone has their own favourite but I had a gorgeous meal in Greens in McCurtain St a few weeks ago with my husband. A bit pricey but well worth it. Beautiful presentation and little tasters between courses. Ask for a seat near the waterfall. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Star Anise.
    Consistently good for well over a decade now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

sozbox wrote:
    Went to Feed Your Senses recently, for 2 hours I forgot I was in Cork. Highly recommend.

Whats that ? Where? My interest is piqued !

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Star Anise.
    Consistently good for well over a decade now.

yes its my go to for when ever I have an occasion and visitors.. I always have their market fish of the day..
    I also love the wine menu - they have a beautiful white wine - Gruner Veltliner.. from austria - so refreshing - had never had it till got it in SA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Looking for somewhere cheap 'n cheerful for an early dinner on Friday, torn between Strasbourg Goose and 14A, they both do a three course €20 menu that sounds nice.

Anyone recommend one over the other? And do you need to book (would be about 6pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

any idea when Elbow is opening again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Les Gourmandaise is fine dining, top notch, french food, highly recommend.

Slightly more casual, all great food... Jacobs on the mall, Greenes, Jacques. Take a look at the menus online.

Bistro style: Market Lane, Elbow lane (may not be back open yet), Orso, Club Brasserie (I love this place, decor is great in there, very old style "club").

Totally out there, wacky kind of place, can be awesome, can be a disaster but I love it: Ivory Tower. It's irish japanese fusion.

All of the above will have fish along with other things on the menu.

For just fish, Quinlans (very casual), or the Fish Bar above the electric are good.

And just for something a bit different, I'll throw in Cafe Paradiso as well. It's vegetarian, but like nothing you've had before. If it's my birthday, that's where I go.
    https://paradiso.restaurant/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 casualr

Some great suggestions. Thanks all! Les Gourmandaise, Ivory Tower, Star Anise and Greenes are the ones that I'm currently looking at. Getting really hungry thinking about it.

pwurple wrote: »
    Les Gourmandaise is fine dining, top notch, french food, highly recommend.

Slightly more casual, all great food... Jacobs on the mall, Greenes, Jacques. Take a look at the menus online.

Bistro style: Market Lane, Elbow lane (may not be back open yet), Orso, Club Brasserie (I love this place, decor is great in there, very old style "club").

Totally out there, wacky kind of place, can be awesome, can be a disaster but I love it: Ivory Tower. It's irish japanese fusion.

All of the above will have fish along with other things on the menu.

For just fish, Quinlans (very casual), or the Fish Bar above the electric are good.

And just for something a bit different, I'll throw in Cafe Paradiso as well. It's vegetarian, but like nothing you've had before. If it's my birthday, that's where I go.
    https://paradiso.restaurant/

I would not agree with all the above but Jacques is worth considering - its €€€ but the food is good.. quite a local crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Went to Star Anise once, the food, wine & service were excellent! Had a loada cod, if i remember. Was a pre theatre menu too, v reasonable for 3 courses. Would recommend.

Went to Star Anise once, the food, wine & service were excellent! Had a loada cod, if i remember. Was a pre theatre menu too, v reasonable for 3 courses. Would recommend.

I must go back to try star anise again. I have it down as a studenty place in my head, never thought much if it. Maybe it improved over the years.

I must go back to try star anise again. I have it down as a studenty place in my head, never thought much if it. Maybe it improved over the years.

studenty??? how the devil did you think that?;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

happyday wrote: »
    Everyone has their own favourite but I had a gorgeous meal in Greens in McCurtain St a few weeks ago with my husband. A bit pricey but well worth it. Beautiful presentation and little tasters between courses. Ask for a seat near the waterfall. Enjoy!

Lol, I was there recently as well and our meal was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sporina wrote: »

I was wondering the very same thing!

sporina wrote: »

Cheap furniture. 29 euro for a three course meal special.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

You must have been a very wealthy student! This is what most will go for - a'la Spice Route :D

kO8cFAB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

sozbox wrote: »
    Went to Feed Your Senses recently, for 2 hours I forgot I was in Cork. Highly recommend.

Based on reviews, I seem to be the only person (EVER!) who wasn't impressed by Feed Your Senses. The tables are absolutely TINY and have glass table tops over the tablecloth. This means that you have to move everything (water glass, wine glass, bread) around when the food arrives and then keep an eye on everything to make sure it doesn't slide off the table!

You might get over this if the food was great but I didn't find it to be so. The meatballs and prawn Pil Pil we had were OK but not great and the dessert (some kind of cheesecake but not really cheesecake) was poor.

On the plus side it was good value, €53 for the 2 of us, with wine.

Overall, it was an OK/not bad/so so kind of meal - had worse but plenty better - but disappointing based on the reviews we read before going. Certainly won't be rushing back with so many decent restaurants in Cork now.

thats the early bird!! all the "non studenty" places do them.. and in fact Jacobs on the mall is 3 courses for €25 AFAIK..

Gosh you ate well as a student.. ??? lol.. (i'm slagging you - but it is funny)..

I think burrito and blues is the rage..

I knew I should have left it at the furniture. :D

Naw I meant more students out on a date. Maybe some fella brought me there to impress me long long ago, when I was in college, and I didn't think much of him, and my impression of him rubbed off on the place.

I'll give it another go sometime.
    Are the tables and chairs still crappy?

I knew I should have left it at the furniture. :D

Naw I meant more students out on a date. Maybe some fella brought me there to impress me long long ago, when I was in college, and I didn't think much of him, and my impression of him rubbed off on the place.

I'll give it another go sometime.
    Are the tables and chairs still crappy?

you might wanna put that spade down now pwurple, before you fall into it.. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I ate in 14A on Friday night with my husband and toddler. I have to say I was really impressed. It was very busy despite being quite early. We ended up eating outside but that suited us fine as inside seems quite pokey and the outside area is very well heated and protected from the wind. I had the beef bon bons, chicken pasta and summer fruit crumble, the beef bon bons were unreal! Could have eaten them all night. The pasta was really tasty if a little bit watery. The crumble was yummy too despite me normally not being a massive rhubarb fan. Hubby had the wings, burger and chocolate cake. He enjoyed everything, but the burger could have done with the option of cheese to give a bit more flavour. Portions are large – when I go again, we would share a dessert and get a glass of wine instead. Three course meal for two, a wine, a coke and a coffee for bang on €50, has to be some of the best value in Cork. We definitely will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Went to holy smoke on sunday night...really good ... the restaurant was seriosly cool too..in the brick vaults in the mardyke ...
    5 of us went, we got two sharing platters between us and extra sides.. so chicken,ribs,pulled pork,brisket,corn bread.. and sides... reasonable price wise .. with 4 beers,and 4 desserts it came to 20euros each ...
    Going back ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Finally got to eat at The Meatball Place.

Nice setting, very friendly and easy going staff. Good music on.

More importantly the food was excellent. Nachos to share for starters. Chilli and garlic Pork meatballs with a spicy tomato and onion sauce with rustic potatoes.

Pints on draught. Nice white wine. And finished off with a very nice malteaser cheesecake.

Starters, mains and desert plus two drinks each for €55 - amazing value I thought

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement