Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

They were complained because someone who ate there got food poisoning with E.Coli 0157. Despite the fact that is wasn't found in the food there, it was being carried by staff members, and the premises was deemed so unsafe for food preparation and production that it was closed down. Staff are gone away on food safety training while it is closed. It wouldn't have me rushing in there to be honest.

E.coli 0157 is a serious business, and pink burgers are high risk. Looks like it'll be the end of rare burgers there all the same.

The Irish examiner says that the HSE identified them as the common link in 8 E.Coli cases http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-restaurant-owners-devastated-as-safety-order-closes-son-of-a-bun-408657.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

sporina wrote: »
    In any event, I feel sorry for the owners.. but like I said, I think they will be bigger and better after this..

Don't think I feel sorry for them at all. 1. They lied about getting approval to serve pink burgers. 2. Several staff members were found with - literally - traces of poo on their hands (E coli is an indicator of faecal contamination). 3. There were obvious serious deficiencies in facilities / procedures in the kitchen (this is what they were actually closed for). 4. They were apparently identified as the common source of 8 cases of food poisoning. All of this doesn't point to the restaurant being 'unlucky' or similar - it's an indicator of serious management failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

But it is trendy and popular so lots here giving it the benefit of the doubt. Can you imagine the reaction if it was the cornstore which was closed. There'd be pitchforks and torches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Went to 14A during the week, great value at €20 for three courses, starter of spicy wings was,nt great, way too greasy but main of lasagne was nice and dessert was lovely,would go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Son of a Bun is reopening today at noon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

Don't think I feel sorry for them at all. 1. They lied about getting approval to serve pink burgers. 2. Several staff members were found with - literally - traces of poo on their hands (E coli is an indicator of faecal contamination). 3. There were obvious serious deficiencies in facilities / procedures in the kitchen (this is what they were actually closed for). 4. They were apparently identified as the common source of 8 cases of food poisoning. All of this doesn't point to the restaurant being 'unlucky' or similar - it's an indicator of serious management failings.

links to facts on the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

sporina wrote: »
    links to facts on the above?

The Examiner link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok, can we move on from the Son of a Bun incident, there is already a thread about this. Please continue to recommend/review cork restaurants here. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Group of us went to Elbow Lane last night to celebrate my father's birthday. Over an hour waiting, but it's definitely worth it. My third time there and it never disappoints.

We had a few special requests for the birthday and the staff were so obliging, they really went above and beyond.

The food was spectacular. My steak was brought to me over cooked (never happened to me there before), i sent it back, they were very apologetic, took full responsibility and sent me the correct one quickly. It was excellent.

The wait can definitely be annoying but the food, staff and atmosphere more then compensates for that. Lovely evening had by all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Léan wrote: »
    Group of us went to Elbow Lane last night to celebrate my father's birthday. My steak was brought to me over cooked (never happened to me there before), i sent it back, they were very apologetic, took full responsibility and sent me the correct one quickly. It was excellent.

I've been to Elbow Lane a lot over the last few months and every time my steak has been overdone. I know, get something else etc. but its the easiest (and nicest IMO) thing for me to get with my diet. I only want it medium too, not blue or rare. Every time it comes out well done/no pink at all. I have sent it back twice but the other times I was so hungry :o I just ate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Had lunch today in Jacques - can't fault it at all. Potato cakes with bacon, poached egg and mustard sauce for me. A huge toastie with sausages, cheese and apple relish for him. And a really good Touraine to wash it all down. Really good, hearty, tasty food.

Last night, I finally made it to Holy Smoke. Fit out is good, very modern and fashionable. It's loud inside, but that's probably due to the open brickwork. Some fabric in the ceilings would help deaden that.

We shared the large BBQ platter while my sister had the burnt ends. I was really impressed by the food - pulled pork was really good with a Carolina-like sauce, the ribs still had bite and I liked the spicier sauce. The Pitmasters squash side was a nice touch. I've eaten in lots of BBQ joints in the US and Holy Smoke would compete.

I had an Almighty Margarita, which was far too sickly sweet, but the chocolate sour was much better.

Only negative (if I could say that) was the staff who were kind of Fawlty Towers-esque. They clearly weren't coordinating between themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

dudara wrote: »
    Last night, I finally made it to Holy Smoke. Fit out is good, very modern and fashionable. It's loud inside, but that's probably due to the open brickwork. Some fabric in the ceilings would help deaden that.

We shared the large BBQ platter while my sister had the burnt ends. I was really impressed by the food - pulled pork was really good with a Carolina-like sauce, the ribs still had bite and I liked the spicier sauce. The Pitmasters squash side was a nice touch. I've eaten in lots of BBQ joints in the US and Holy Smoke would compete.

I had an Almighty Margarita, which was far too sickly sweet, but the chocolate sour was much better.

Only negative (if I could say that) was the staff who were kind of Fawlty Towers-esque. They clearly weren't coordinating between themselves.

The last time I was there a few weeks back that was the problem there the staff killing each other. There food is lovely but there service is shocking.

I can only judge based on what I saw. They were mildly incompetent last night, but not "shocking".

Final post from my trip home. Went to Miyazaki for lunch today for the first time. Fantastic food here, better than any Japanese food in Dublin.

Had chicken gyoza and seaweed salad to start. All good but special praise for the sesame dressing on the seaweed salad.

We both had donburi (rice bowls) for mains - his was topped with raw salmon and roe, while mine had crispy fried chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

dudara wrote: »
    Final post from my trip home. Went to Miyazaki for lunch today for the first time. Fantastic food here, better than any Japanese food in Dublin.

Had chicken gyoza and seaweed salad to start. All good but special praise for the sesame dressing on the seaweed salad.

We both had donburi (rice bowls) for mains - his was topped with raw salmon and roe, while mine had crispy fried chicken.

Ya its excellent, I live across from it and it's out the door every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya its excellent, I live across from it and it's out the door every evening.

i heard that they were looking for another premises in town - any news on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

In Cork City next Tuesday and Wednesday night for a mini break away with the better half. Any have any recommendations of a place that does good dinner? I heard of a place on Plunkett St. that does a good deal for 20euro or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

In Cork City next Tuesday and Wednesday night for a mini break away with the better half. Any have any recommendations of a place that does good dinner? I heard of a place on Plunkett St. that does a good deal for 20euro or something?

If you've been recommended a place on Oliver Plunkett St, it's more than likely Market Lane! I don't know if they are doing a deal but they might have something on for the summer.

What kind of food are you looking for?

Malari wrote: »
    If you've been recommended a place on Oliver Plunkett St, it's more than likely Market Lane! I don't know if they are doing a deal but they might have something on for the summer.

What kind of food are you looking for?

Good food :D Nothing in particular,though Italian and the likes always goes down well

• Advertisement

Good food :D Nothing in particular,though Italian and the likes always goes down well

Italee, also on OP St, is a fab Italian and there's also a place near the cathedral called La Dolce Vite, which is really good too.

Thanks for the suggestions Malari. Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Il Padrinos is the best Italian in cork, imo. One of my all time favourite spots & very romantic in setting too. It's a true authentic Italian. The menu is to die for!
    It's just off Oliver plunkett street as well so very central.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Il Padrinos is the best Italian in cork, imo. One of my all time favourite spots & very romantic in setting too. It's a true authentic Italian. The menu is to die for!
    It's just off Oliver plunkett street as well so very central.

Ooh, I wouldn't agree with the authentic part of that, at least! I don't think they even make their own pasta and the carbonara is a cream-based sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Malari wrote: »
    Ooh, I wouldn't agree with the authentic part of that, at least! I don't think they even make their own pasta and the carbonara is a cream-based sauce.

That's strange, the last time I was in there I asked and they said the pasta was fresh and made in house! I don't think the owners are Italian though.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    That's strange, the last time I was in there I asked and they said the pasta was fresh and made in house! I don't think the owners are Italian though.

Well, I haven't been in a while, so maybe they do now, if you asked. The owners are Iranian.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭penovine

Italee is fab but it closes at 6.. maybe go there for lunch? It really is thee best italian - all staff are Italian and the food is so authentic.. like the food you would get in a good local restaurant in Italy.. its unreal.. such a pity they are no longer open at night..

For italian I would go to La Dolce Vita - near near the cathedral on proby's quay.. though it can be draughty - pending on where you are sitting.. but it is authentic..

I would not rate Il padrino's at all..

For some local food with a continental flare.. try Star Anise on Bridge St.. they have a fab early bird menu; one of the posters on here went there a few weeks ago and was v v happy..
    The owners are french; you get super hospitality and locally sourced food at half the price of other "well known" restaurants in town..
    And they have a lovely wine menu,,
    Its just great to get the quality without the high prices unlike other places in town

Have a lovely time..

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Had anyone tried Gwen's restaurant on French church Street? It used to be paradise crepe - I used quite enjoy their sweet crepes.

A friend told me they were on Gwen's and it is much the same but that the portions are now more stingy. Is there any truth in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I wouldn't go near Il Padrino! Certainly not authentic.

Good call on La Dolce Vita for an authentic Italian sit down.

• Advertisement

kcb wrote: »
    I wouldn't go near Il Padrino! Certainly not authentic.

I'd have to agree. Unfortunately, I don't think I've ever had a good meal there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement