Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be in favour of a border poll?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

timthumbni wrote: »
    Well I could say that there was little difference between nationalists and republicans I suppose based on your example.

But....... I do accept that the SDLP didn't support bombing kids and separating protestants from Catholics on a minibus and then massacring the Protestant workmen.

The IRA and their political whores in SF obviously had different ideas. So I do see the difference. I have voted for the SDLP as I think they are pretty decent..

SF well, not so decent.......

Ah the SDLP, remember them. Fond of the comfy seats and doing nothing effective for their people. Their people lost interest in them didn't they, when they didn't deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

maryishere wrote: »
    Many is the time I heard people from Trinity etc slagged as "West Brits" in a sneery fashion.

So? If that's what they were then they should be proud of it and and wear the badge with pride. That's the recommendation this unrepentant Fenian would give them. ;)

The link you provide says the only person who thinks it was not sectarian said "Mr Keane believes all 13 were shot in revenge for the killing of Michael O’Neill and because they were perceived to have been hostile to the nationalist cause by elements in the IRA in the Bandon area who were in strict need of control at the time.". There were thousands of attacks on Protestants. That is why the IRA were called terrorists. They murdered people and intimidated.

In response to what? Did they just do it out of the blue?
    Give us the context Mary do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

As a matter of fact most protestants, if they want their kids to have a education in a school of their own ethos (a non-Catholic education), have to pay substantial fees.
    Most Catholics, if they want their kids to have a education in a school of their own ethos (a Catholic education), do not have to pay substantial fees.

I'm no fan of religious education Mary, but what you are saying is not true. There are day schools for protestants in Dublin and Wicklow. There is also a Jewish school in Dublin. It is also possible to go to a catholic school and opt out of all the religious nonsense. Fee paying Protestant schools have been heavily subsidised since the introduction of compulsory secondary education in the 60s.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-20054109

By the by in all your ranting you seem to have forgotten that the first president of Ireland, Douglas Hyde was a protestant, just sayin'....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Did they just do it out of the blue?
    Yes, the ten men shot by the IRA in Dunmanway were protestant civilians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

You are Irish thumbo...just a confused one.

Really???? Does the GFA not allow us to identify ourselves here in NI as either Irish or British or both or whatever?

The last census has British only way out in front (40some %)

Trailing badly was Irish only (28 % I think) and then close behind them was Northern Irish only. (22%)

Now I'm pretty sure that SF will spontaneously humanly combust if they even mention the word Northern Ireland or Northern Irish so it seems that you are in bother.

Irrespective it seems that only 28% odd of people in NI consider themselves Irish and I would probably go with that over some wee boy like you on the old tinternet.

Sorry to disappoint. Refusal often offends so no wonder you are so butt hurt. Not my problem though. That's yours to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Mary says there's bigotry in Irish education. I pointed to primary she said she means secondary. I explained that it did not occur there then she says a few people who went to trinity were called west Brits. It's laughable how much they crawl to a point.

Anyway I agree there should be a total separation of church and school and state. There's still no issue with non catholic kids going to any school in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

In response to what? Did they just do it out of the blue?
    Give us the context Mary do?

Mary and context? She's A Google blanket bomber. She does accept that Ireland is a great country to live in today though so at least that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Protestants were never banned from the GAA and they were never banned from mainstream education in the south. As a matter of fact Protestant schools have always been given additional funding to make them viable and Trinity was (and still is) uniquely allowed to elect its own senators. You're just making stuff up.

I'm not saying that the South was a tolerant state, it clearly wasn't. The people most affected by Catholic bigotry and intolerance were other Catholics
    Yes they were, at local level they weren't supposed to but they weren't prevented from doing it. Mainstream education in the south was Catholic, Protestants were segregated into other schools.

Yes, the ten men shot by the IRA in Dunmanway were protestant civilians.

rere's a clue to context - 1922.

What happened happens in all wars, plenty on all sides were killed in atrocities.

It bears no relation to what happened when Ireland was at peace.

• Advertisement

There are day schools for protestants in Dublin and Wicklow.
    Most Protestants have to pay fees to go to Protestant schools. Yes, they are subsidised by the government, but the parents of the pupils usually have to fork out thousands per years in fees if they want their kids to go to a protestant secondary school.
    Most Catholics do not have to pay such fees to go to Catholic schools

But did the Catholic church ever excommunicate an Republican terrorists? I suppose when they did not excommunicate Hitler or Mussolini what hope would there be? And was not one of the Claudy bombers a Priest?

The bishop of Cork excommunicated 'Ra members back in 1920.

What wild unsubstantiated allegation of yours can I rebut next?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yes they were, at local level they weren't supposed to but they weren't prevented from doing it. Mainstream education in the south was Catholic, Protestants were segregated into other schools.

Eh what? Are you chirping about education or the GAA?

I'm telling you now as someone who has a child in both primary and secondary that there's no restrictions on religion and as someone involved in the GAA that there's no restrictions there.

Mary way talking about today, the here and now so don't be taking bollox about years ago.

Really???? Does the GFA not allow us to identify ourselves here in NI as either Irish or British or both or whatever?

The last census has British only way out in front (40some %)

Trailing badly was Irish only (28 % I think) and then close behind them was Northern Irish only. (22%)

Now I'm pretty sure that SF will spontaneously humanly combust if they even mention the word Northern Ireland or Northern Irish so it seems that you are in bother.

Irrespective it seems that only 28% odd of people in NI consider themselves Irish and I would probably go with that over some wee boy like you on the old tinternet.

Sorry to disappoint. Refusal often offends so no wonder you are so butt hurt. Not my problem though. That's yours to deal with.

Thumbo I said you were confused. To me you are Irish. Cead Mile Failte. Go Team Ireland(most NI lads competing under the tricolour).

Everyone living above Athlone is 'northern Irish'. 'Northern Irish' is a meaningless term. What's pathetic is people living in Ireland, for generations, describing themselves as 'British Only', it's like they have difficulty with reality never mind P1 geography, god love them.

Most Protestants have to pay fees to go to Protestant schools. Yes, they are subsidised by the government, but the parents of the pupils usually have to fork out thousands per years in fees if they want their kids to go to a protestant secondary school.
    Most Catholics do not have to pay such fees to go to Catholic schools

You're a joke

rere's a clue to context - 1922.

What happened happens in all wars, plenty on all sides were killed in atrocities.

It bears no relation to what happened when Ireland was at peace.

Ireland would have been at peace if it was not for the likes of the IRA shooting people?

Oh thats all right so. And things like the Fethard on Sea boycott : that happened when Ireland was "at peace" but I suppose you have an excuse for that too?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Yes they were, at local level they weren't supposed to but they weren't prevented from doing it.

Have you any evidence to back up this claim?
    Mainstream education in the south was Catholic, Protestants were segregated into other schools

Pretty much the same as northern Ireland so, and in Britain until the 1960s

Everyone living above Athlone is 'northern Irish'. 'Northern Irish' is a meaningless term. What's pathetic is people living in Ireland, for generations, describing themselves as 'British Only', it's like they have difficulty with reality never mind P1 geography, god love them.

The most northern point in Ireland is in the south. Lolzers

You will in the future

Many of us are very annoyed at how we bailed out British and European banks. The British should be thankful that some of our politicians were the spinless fucks they were and in times gone by they might well have been treated as traitors.

If I had my way we'd be putting in place a very robust exit strategy for leaving the EU but only using it as a 'nuclear option' to leverage negotiations in the event of any further repeat of bailing out British/EU banks.

You will always have spineless feck politicians in the republic or Ireland junkyard and you always will have.. Get used to it...

Re if you had your way and traitors etc etc it's funny. I will laugh heartily as I always do at the old tinternet speak. Carry on though mucker. It's funny to listen to a revolutionary chatting **** on a message board at 3am.

You will always be too tired to actually do anything about it in the morning. Lol.

• Advertisement

Ireland would have been at peace if it was not for the likes of the IRA shooting people?

Oh thats all right so. And things like the Fethard on Sea boycott : that happened when Ireland was "at peace" but I suppose you have an excuse for that too?

Peace? You call peace what was going on in the north prior to the PIRA even being formed?

Mary at least have the balls to nail your colors to the cross. Are you claiming to be from the north or south?

I seem to remember something about violent pogroms in the north in the 1920s leaving hundreds dead.....

Any opinions on that my dear, were them filthy taigs just asking for it?

Yeh, Ireland only ever had blood lusting IRA men running around shooting people.
    Well done Mary, well done. No answer to that withering grasp of history.

You will always have spineless feck politicians in the republic or Ireland junkyard and you always will have.. Get used to it...

Re if you had your way and traitors etc etc it's funny. I will laugh heartily as I always do at the old tinternet speak. Carry on though mucker. It's funny to listen to a revolutionary chatting **** on a message board at 3am.

You will always be too tired to actually do anything about it in the morning. Lol.

And you'll always be Irish Oiche Mhaith!

Arlene? A long line of unionist leaders with spine. :) what about the Chuckle brother himself? 'NEVER NEVER ....ah sure go on then'

:):)

Jayop wrote: »
    Peace? You call peace what was going on in the north prior to the PIRA even being formed?
    We were talking about the IRA murder of 10 Protestants in Dunmanway Co. Cork in 1922.

You bring up the question of peace in N.I. before the PIRA was formed : no there was not : there was sometimes sabotage, attacks etc - for example on one night alone in the IRA border campaign of 1956 - 1962, approx 150 IRA men attacked targets in N. Ireland. No wonder police on both sides of the border interned the thugs.
    Jayop wrote: »
    Mary at least have the balls to nail your colors to the cross. Are you claiming to be from the north or south?
    I am from the Republic : you do not need to be a Republican provo sympathiser to be from the Republic.

You should campaign for athlone residents to have a vote for the stormont elections then so.....

You may describe it as pathetic but tbh junk no one up here really gives a flying feck what you think. Sorry to disappoint you. Northern Ireland fans were awarded that same award from france during the euros recently were they not???

What I describe as pathetic that only 28 % of people in Norn Iron ( not counting athlone lol) consider themselves Irish.

That would be worrying for republicans surely... Especially republicans from Down south....

Not unique to the south of Ireland Tim. I mean, you've your fair share of low-IQ sectarian oddballs running around the north whose seats have been secure for decades.
    It's funny to listen to a revolutionary chatting **** on a message board at 3am.

I can assure you my opinions are far from 'revolutionary'.

Chill out a bit Tim, we're not back in the bad old days thankfully.

Arlene? A long line of unionist leaders with spine. :) what about the Chuckle brother himself? 'NEVER NEVER ....ah sure go on then'

:):)

Do you mean art? Dressed like a wee minstrel before he met his better her majesty the queen?

Ok then......

• Advertisement

Chill out a bit Tim, we're not back in the bad old days thankfully.

I'm chilled dude....

Why, did you do much in the old days junkyard???

Advertisement