Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be in favour of a border poll?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

And there are catholic secondary schools that charge fees too.

Certainly: but the point remains: most protestants, if they want their kids to have a education in a secondary school of their own ethos (a non-Catholic education), have to pay substantial fees.
    Most Catholics, if they want their kids to have a education in a secondary school of their own ethos (a Catholic education), do not have to pay substantial fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

timthumbni wrote: »
    I'm very happy for you. This is all very interesting but I'm not that interested in your extended family tree tbh. You do realise this isn't Facebook and we aren't all "friends" don't you???

Hurts doesn't it? It's not our culture to hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Jayop wrote: »
    Yep. Totally believable.

Yeah Unionists. A great bunch of lads. Their mentality has never changed. Where else in Europe would you have a national holiday celebrating a Protestant battle win from 1690? Albania maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm very happy for you. This is all very interesting but I'm not that interested in your extended family tree tbh. You do realise this isn't Facebook and we aren't all "friends" don't you???

By **** I know well were not friends. I'd never be friends with bigots like certain people in this thread.

You though claimed that the other poster was lying about having protestant family and I asked you am I lying too.

Simple yes or no will do.

Bingo.

What these loyalists don't seem to get is that Republicans more than any group have stood up to the catholic church.

Yeah, I remember during the hunger strikes when Priests bravely condemned the PIRA from the pulpit, some Shinner type people standing up and walking out of mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Yep. Totally believable.

East is east, west is west, and never etc etc.

I don't need to be your chum. Neither do other unionists. And I don't think any of them really give a feck about the republic. Let's face it you lost your balls a long time ago to the eu and Frau Angela. Nothing to be embarrassed about. You'll never beat the Irish.... (Snigger)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Well, I certainly don't consider myself a loyalist. A unionist certainly

There's little difference really.
    but i think the loyalist terrorists were every bit as bad as the Irish republican terrorists

Unionist terrorists were the 'flying columns' of the security forces.

maryishere wrote: »
    Certainly: but the point remains: most protestants, if they want their kids to have a education in a secondary school of their own ethos (a non-Catholic education), have to pay substantial fees.
    Most Catholics, if they want their kids to have a education in a secondary school of their own ethos (a Catholic education), do not have to pay substantial fees.

No, if they want a non catholic education they send their kids to the local secondary school and opt out of re subjects. Same as every other non catholic kids.

If they want a protestant ethos school then they can send them to to one of the many boarding schools that only the protestants could afford for many years.

Yeah, I remember during the hunger strikes when Priests bravely condemned the PIRA from the pulpit, some Shinner type people standing up and walking out of mass.

Indeed they did. Thanks for agreeing with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

Bingo.

What these loyalists don't seem to get is that Republicans more than any group have stood up to the catholic church.

I've one more confirmation to get through and that's me done with the church. I don't even want a catholic funeral. No love for the church whatsoever

Some of them have really forgetten/ignored the fact one of the founders of Irish Republicanism was Theobald Wolfe Tone

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

I don't need to be your chum. Neither do other unionists. And I don't think any of them really give a feck about the republic. Let's face it you lost your balls a long time ago to the eu and Frau Angela. Nothing to be embarrassed about. You'll never beat the Irish.... (Snigger)

While you boys keep sucking at the tit of the English. Lol you're really in denial when you think us being in the Eu and becoming so much richer than you is something to joke about.

There was a time when the north east was the economic and industrial capital of Ireland. That time was just before partition but since ye lads got your way you've managed to make a bollocks of it each and every way you have tried. It's OK though, we'll bail you out soon enough.

Yeah Unionists. A great bunch of lads. Their mentality has never changed. Where else in Europe would you have a national holiday celebrating a Protestant battle win from 1690?
    Different places have different traditions. It may be an excuse for a bank holiday / national holiday but many people do other things / their own hobby or sport on the day, or go on holidays. And did you know Pope Alexander VIII was an ally of William and an enemy to James?

You are Irish thumbo...just a confused one.

buried wrote: »
    Some of them have really forgetten/ignored the fact one of the founders of Irish Republicanism was Theobald Wolfe Tone

It's laughable. Mary tries to win a point against me by saying republicans walked out of mass. Mental stuff.

Quick Mary, Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,637 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It was not a case, it was a murder of ten innocent Protestant civilians in a small locality.
    It was attributed to the IRA and was not condemned by them. There were many cases of Protestants being intimidated / burnt out / shot / windows broken by Republicans.

It was condemned by the IRA and it may not even have been sectarian.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/killing-of-protestants-in-1922-truce-not-sectarian-study-argues-1.1666033

You are referencing a time when there were atrocity after atrocity in a bloody war and extrapolating a point that covers Ireland free and at peace.
    In other words, more scurrilous nonsense from Mary.

While you boys keep sucking at the tit of the English. Lol you're really in denial when you think us being in the Eu and becoming so much richer than you is something to joke about.

There was a time when the north east was the economic and industrial capital of Ireland. That time was just before partition but since ye lads got your way you've managed to make a bollocks of it each and every way you have tried. It's OK though, we'll bail you out soon enough.

Yeah the NI economy...snigger...erm the civil service.

By **** I know well were not friends. I'd never be friends with bigots like certain people in this thread.

You though claimed that the other poster was lying about having protestant family and I asked you am I lying too.

Simple yes or no will do.

Are you making up things? I never claimed either of you didn't have prods in your family. I said it was cringeworthy that you had to point it out youse know prods just like the racist know someone who is black, or their sister married a Muslim.

What do you want?? A medal???? You know or your sister married a prod. Big wow jayop... You're a saint...

Different places have different traditions. It may be an excuse for a bank holiday / national holiday but many people do other things / their own hobby or sport on the day, or go on holidays. And did you know Pope Alexander VIII was an ally of William and an enemy to James?

Do you know that you've been told on this very page that the catholic church means little to nothing to most republican people. Lol hilarious.

You are Irish thumbo...just a confused one.

The gas thing is where I grew up we called the English Brits but we never thought of unionists as Brits. They're as Irish as we are and God love them we'll help them realize it.

Indeed they did.
    But did the Catholic church ever excommunicate an Republican terrorists? I suppose when they did not excommunicate Hitler or Mussolini what hope would there be? And was not one of the Claudy bombers a Priest?

• Advertisement

And others fill their children with sectarian bile and try and extend it for another generation. Great lads.

The gas thing is where I grew up we called the English Brits but we never thought of unionists as Brits. .
    Many is the time I heard people from Trinity etc slagged as "West Brits" in a sneery fashion.

But did the Catholic church ever excommunicate an Republican terrorists? I suppose when they did not excommunicate Hitler or Mussolini what hope would there be? And was not one of the Claudy bombers a Priest?

I don't care. I have little to no respect for the catholic church

I'm not a religious man Mary. I try to follow my own moral code of not being able to a c unt to people. I agree with abortion, I campaigned for gay marriage. I don't go to mass.

Are you making up things? I never claimed either of you didn't have prods in your family. I said it was cringeworthy that you had to point it out youse know prods just like the racist know someone who is black, or their sister married a Muslim.

What do you want?? A medal???? You know or your sites married a prod. Big wow jayop... You're a saint...

It was in or response to your trench mates statement that it didn't happen. It's as common as muck.

There's little difference really.

Well I could say that there was little difference between nationalists and republicans I suppose based on your example.

But....... I do accept that the SDLP didn't support bombing kids and separating protestants from Catholics on a minibus and then massacring the Protestant workmen.

The IRA and their political whores in SF obviously had different ideas. So I do see the difference. I have voted for the SDLP as I think they are pretty decent..

SF well, not so decent.......

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

What do you want?? A medal???? You know or your sites married a prod. Big wow jayop... You're a saint...

It's not exactly a saintly thing to do it's just pointing out the bleeding obvious that Catholics and protestants are the same. I.e it doesn't matter. Different songs and vague beliefs and that's it.

Many is the time I heard people from Trinity etc slagged as "West Brits" in a sneery fashion.

Not just trinity, most people from Dublin and anyone voting for FG will have been called west Brits. Nothing to do with religious beliefs.

You need to stop hanging about with people who would slag like that.
    I went to Trinity, I think you might be imagining it in the 40's tbh. It's just a university.

The link you provide says the only person who thinks it was not sectarian said "Mr Keane believes all 13 were shot in revenge for the killing of Michael O’Neill and because they were perceived to have been hostile to the nationalist cause by elements in the IRA in the Bandon area who were in strict need of control at the time.". There were thousands of attacks on Protestants. That is why the IRA were called terrorists. They murdered people and intimidated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I don't need to be your chum. Neither do other unionists.

You will in the future.
    And I don't think any of them really give a feck about the republic.

Well that would be very stupid seeing as the fortunes of the rest of Ireland should be very much the concern of unionists just as the fortunes of the British should be the concern of the Irish.
    Let's face it you lost your balls a long time ago to the eu and Frau Angela.

We joined the EU to offset the influence the British had over the Irish economy and it has been, all told, a good thing for everyone both in terms of rights and standard of living.

Many of us are very annoyed at how we bailed out British and European banks. The British should be thankful that some of our politicians were the spinless fucks they were and in times gone by they might well have been treated as traitors.

If I had my way we'd be putting in place a very robust exit strategy for leaving the EU but only using it as a 'nuclear option' to leverage negotiations in the event of any further repeat of bailing out British/EU banks.

Advertisement