Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What happened to the European College of Aviation? They were offering "fear of flying" sessions for a while, aswell as recruitment services. Their web address no longer goes anywhere.

Think that was the place that folded couple of years ago. There was war over it, lads half way through training and paid up

no that was the pilot college the College of Aviation was different it was set up around 18 months ago. Pilot college was gone in september 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Sully wrote: »
    What work is there with no flights? Genuine question. Wonder what goes on beyond airport doors when nobody is flying in or out

Far from nobody flying in and out just no scheduled flights. On the 30th of July there was 180 aircraft movements! Busier than what you'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Far from nobody flying in and out just no scheduled flights. On the 30th of July there was 180 aircraft movements! Busier than what you'd think.

180?!? What were they all doing!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Carnacalla wrote: »

Rod Stewart was doing a concert in Kilkenny and dropped in by private jet and then headed home to London.

Rescue 117 use the runway for arrival & departure too.

I've yet to sort my private jet needs so I guess that'll have to go on a future month's list.

180 included take offs and landings. Lots of private business jets, SAR helicopter, private planes etc etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

- Waterford Aero Club & Local based aircraft.
    - Search and Rescue.
    - Atlantic Flight Training Academy brings a couple 172's and Senecas down on a daily basis due to cork being so busy.
    - Private Jet traffic. Regular Citation/Phenom 300/Cessna Conquest; with the odd visit of CL300-600/G550/Lear 45 type and more.
    - IFR Training. Aer Corps/Gardai/Closeby flying schools & clubs are regular visitors.

PTC closed down, European school of aviation is only ground school - infact I believe they moved elsewhere.

With all that being said, may not pay all the bills but atleast there is something flying in and out keeping them going while things are being sorted. It's actually getting quite busy out there - had to hold for the first time in ages coming in recently. Hopefully something quite soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Flying over my house mostly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

For a fair comparison how many movements on
    25 26, 27, 28, 29 & 31st?

Also based aircraft and the SAR helicopter would have preferential rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

b757 wrote: »
    - Private Jet traffic. Regular Citation/Phenom 300/Cessna Conquest; with the odd visit of CL300-600/G550/Lear 45 type and more...

Ok spill the beans, who are the celebs? Other than Rod Stewart.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

For a fair comparison how many movements on
    25 26, 27, 28, 29 & 31st?

I don't know the figures, but from observation most days recently have been hitting 100 plus movements i'd say. Of course its mainly light aircraft, who are very weather dependent so your not going to have a huge amount of traffic on foggy, misty or days with low cloud. And we know they are not going to keep the airport viable in its current state but at least their is plenty of activity keeping the place ticking over while we await the next development, be that a new airline or infrastructure developments.
    Ok spill the beans, who are the celebs? Other than Rod Stewart.

Not to many Celebs that I know of recently, though there have been quite a number pass through over the years. Its more business, for example Genzyme or Sanofi as they are now called fly their Jet in from France when the top dogs want to visit. And 'West', the new pharma plant do like wise and there are many more. The rest are just people with way too much money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

I don't know the figures,
    But the person who posted 180 must have some access as the figure is too specific.
    but from observation most days recently have been hitting 100 plus movements i'd say. Of course its mainly light aircraft, who are very weather dependent so your not going to have a huge amount of traffic on foggy, misty or days with low cloud
    That is why I asked for the figures for the rest of the week to get an idea of an overall figure.

Next I think would be to pick a week in late November last year and get those numbers too for a rough comparison.
    Teebor15 wrote: »
    . And we know they are not going to keep the airport viable in its current state but at least their is plenty of activity keeping the place ticking over while we await the next development, be that a new airline or infrastructure developments.

!

But if you are not covering your costs then what?

Would it not be more correct to class the 180 as 90 landings and 90 departures?

Airport is open from about 7 am to 9pm with a lot of fixed costs.

There will always be a subvention to the costs due to the SAR but that will not cover everything.

But the person who posted 180 must have some access as the figure is too specific.
    That is why I asked for the figures for the rest of the week to get an idea of an overall figure.

Next I think would be to pick a week in late November last year and get those numbers too for a rough comparison.

But if you are not covering your costs then what?

Would it not be more correct to class the 180 as 90 landings and 90 departures?

Airport is open from about 7 am to 9pm with a lot of fixed costs.

There will always be a subvention to the costs due to the SAR but that will not cover everything.

Id guessing they got the figure from a recent post on the "Waterford Aviation" Facebook page.

A movement is either a landing to take off. 180 movements is not necessarily a 90 of each. TI also see lots of training approachs with a go around at the the last minute. I dont think these are counted as official movements but i could be wrong.

I have also seen very busy days in Winter or late November as you say with mmuch flying after dark. But I've also seen quite days on lovely sunny summer days too so i get the point your making.

With the recent redundancies, the staff and thus most of the costs have been pared back to minimum compared to when an Airline is operating so I'm sure the Airport will manage ok in the short term. Obviously the long term project and ambition to have affordable and sustainable passenger services to key destinations to the benefit of the south east region remains the goal.

I did indeed get it from waterford avation. No reason to disbelieve them.

Main thing is that the airport isn't a ghost town and there is still flights in and out. Hopefully there is someone willing to take on London flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭invara

EUR 320 million new runway in pipeline for Dublin. ....... and nothing can be done for Waterford. Last time I heard the runway extension would cost Eur16 mil. The 500,000 people of South East not worth it.

Our local TDs continue to be unable to organise anything meaningful for their people. Govt tds Halligan and Deasy (and Butler) need to act on this now.... halt the Dublin project until Waterford's modest needs are delivered. Draw the simple value for money equivalence. Beat the drum.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

invara wrote: »
    EUR 320 million new runway in pipeline for Dublin. ....... and nothing can be done for Waterford. Last time I heard the runway extension would cost Eur16 mil. The 500,000 people of South East not worth it.

Our local TDs continue to be unable to organise anything meaningful for their people. Govt tds Halligan and Deasy (and Butler) need to act on this now.... halt the Dublin project until Waterford's modest needs are delivered. Draw the simple value for money equivalence. Beat the drum.

In fairness, Dublin NEEDS the new runway. There is a big difference between Dublin airport and Waterford airport. DUB doesn't only operate for the people that actually live there, it's for people in the surrounding counties that make up more than a third of the national population. 25m passengers in 2015 and growing again in 2016, the government aren't going to stop it due to waterfords misfortunes.

Ireland has always been thrifty about infrastructure. In the EU we had a reputation for value for money on capital projects (until 15 yrs ago). A proper runway in Waterford (Dublin south) for less than 20 million bucks could take huge pressure off Dublin and perhaps the 'necessity' of their demands could be downgraded to a 'nice to have'. Dublin is overheating and we need balanced regional investment. There is no economic analysis behind Dublin airport s demand for taxpayer funded expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

The government aren't allowed to fund a new runway for Waterford, it's classed as state aid by the EU. The DAA are funding the €320 mill themselves, credit where credit's due. The TDs' hands are tied I'm afraid.

man98 wrote: »
    The government aren't allowed to fund a new runway for Waterford, it's classed as state aid by the EU. The TDs' hands are tied I'm afraid.

That is current Government policy based on EU Guidelines. The government can change that policy if they wish, but it would take extensive lobbying by our representatives in Dail Eireann and I'm not sure if they have enough clout. We will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

What has Waterford airport, or the people of the South East done to deserve a new runway?

Passenger numbers are woeful in Waterford. A new runway doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

Teebor15 wrote: »
    That is current Government policy based on EU Guidelines. The government can change that policy if they wish, but it would take extensive lobbying by our representatives in Dail Eireann and I'm not sure if they have enough clout. We will have to wait and see.

I sincerely doubt even Enda has the clout to change that to be completely honest. Private sector investment is the only hope for Waterford really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

What has Waterford airport, or the people of the South East done to deserve a new runway?

Passenger numbers are woeful in Waterford. A new runway doesn't change that.

No proper public transport to the airport either.

How could you expect a new runway when they couldn't even organize a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Or flights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I'm taking the view that prolonging the current malaise regarding the lack of runway infrastructure in the south-east is actually a rejection of the region and is just a symptom of much more deep-seated problems regarding our relationship with Dublin and the rest of the Republic. The relationship is broken.

No investment - public or private - is proxy for saying "we think you have no future; and our capital is going elsewhere".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    I'm taking the view that prolonging the current malaise regarding the lack of runway infrastructure in the south-east is actually a rejection of the region and is just a symptom of much more deep-seated problems regarding our relationship with Dublin and the rest of the Republic. The relationship is broken.

No investment - public or private - is proxy for saying "we think you have no future; and our capital is going elsewhere".

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/independent-td-got-funds-for-runway-in-government-deal-1.2654100

Worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

hardybuck wrote: »

Came out a few months ago.

He'll do F all... All talk in my opinion.

Dublin-istas have ways of making what they want to do sound natural. DAA is state owned it has huge borrowings on the new terminal..... the state is on the hook for these borrowings. Dublin airport and Aer Lingus have historically been the recipient of vast sums of state aid.

If they wanted to support WAT they would find a way. Halligan has get the money promised released immediately. The Dublin mafia will slow it down until the government falls. Put the gun to there heads today is the only way.

Dublin-istas have ways of making what they want to do sound natural. DAA is state owned it has huge borrowings on the new terminal..... the state is on the hook for these borrowings. Dublin airport and Aer Lingus have historically been the recipient of vast sums of state aid.

If they wanted to support WAT they would find a way. Halligan has get the money promised released immediately. The Dublin mafia will slow it down until the government falls. Put the gun to there heads today is the only way.

There's also the fact that Dublin airport is the fastest growing airport in Europe.

Their new runway will open up more long haul flights from Ireland to places like Australia, Far East, Africa etc. which currently go through hubs like London and Frankfurt.

It's also an important transatlantic hub, and the main airport for the island or Ireland - a lot of people from the north use it.

Going on about Dublin Airport is an absolute waste of time - Waterford should be focusing on getting it's own house in order before pointing the finger of blame elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

hardybuck wrote: »

There's also the fact that Dublin airport is the fastest growing airport in Europe.

Their new runway will open up more long haul flights from Ireland to places like Australia, Far East, Africa etc. which currently go through hubs like London and Frankfurt.

It's also an important transatlantic hub, and the main airport for the island or Ireland - a lot of people from the north use it.

Going on about Dublin Airport is an absolute waste of time - Waterford should be focusing on getting it's own house in order before pointing the finger of blame elsewhere.

Tell me how the South East can even get the strength to lift it's head up to the table when all it gets are the scraps of the scraps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The airport is only 13 km from the city and a taxi journey doesn't cost a fortune

or maybe get a lift from someone but no company in its right mind is going

to pay a driver, the cost of diesel and a bus for a random passenger at

Waterford Airport.

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    Tell me how the South East can even get the strength to lift it's head up to the table when all it gets are the scraps of the scraps?

Ah here...maybe ask the people in Knock or Farranfore for tips. Or the people from the south east who didn't use the services.

Advertisement