Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Yeah, poor Brum. How will they cope?

Meanwhile, back in Prosperity Central, I've lost count of the gold-plated private jets using Waterford Airport. It's future is certain with that tiny runway serving local Waterford oligarchs - the Ryanair hater's were right all along. Waterford plebs don't deserve to fly anyway.

Helpful and well thought out post. Well done.

Now back to a Waterford Airport discussion for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Helpful and well thought out post. Well done.

Now back to a Waterford Airport discussion for the rest of us.

He's right (I think)! Everybody always hailed Waterford airport for resisting Ryanair. For all their faults, it seems to me that the airport's with Ryanair are doing quiet well and we are doing.... Well we are not doing at all.

To not have the biggest airline in Europe flying out of our airport is something that beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

O Riain wrote: »
    He's right (I think)! Everybody always hailed Waterford airport for resisting Ryanair. For all their faults, it seems to me that the airport's with Ryanair are doing quiet well and we are doing.... Well we are not doing at all.

To not have the biggest airline in Europe flying out of our airport is something that beggars belief.

You do realise, than Ryanair cannot actually fly to WAT, due to runway length?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Carnacalla wrote: »

am i right in saying that the new runway plans still cant accommodate ryanair?

Suppose therein lies the problem, only way to get the money is from the government and they would rather deliver a 15th runway to Dublin before they would give an extension to Waterford. I'm just frustrated and a lot of people on here were always harping on about how good it was not to have Ryanair here when, in fact, it is anything but good.

• Advertisement

Suppose therein lies the problem, only way to get the money is from the government and they would rather deliver a 15th runway to Dublin before they would give an extension to Waterford. I'm just frustrated and a lot of people on here were always harping on about how good it was not to have Ryanair here when, in fact, it is anything but good.

The goverment aren't funding Dublin's Runway, the DAA is funding it itself.

I'm also not sure if Ryanair is anything good. Its one thing getting a service, its another thing keeping it.

I'm also not sure if Ryanair is anything good. Its one thing getting a service, its another thing keeping it.

Kerry and knock still seem to have their services..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

The government funded T2. This was a major capital investment. The airport itself was a state funded enterprise to begin with.

The government funded T2. This was a major capital investment. The airport itself was a state funded enterprise to begin with.

"To begin with"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

"To begin with"

It doesn't matter. To begin with you could have funded an airport anywhere and it would eventually break even if there was no competition allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The demand just isn't there regardless of which carrier or runway length

we might have. We realistically would need an airport somewhat in size to

Cork/Shannon with all the facilities and that's just not going to happen.

It cannot be justified in terms of cost or threats to other operational airports.

Kerry and knock still seem to have their services..

Both have been downscaled compared to previous years, and are not comparable to WAT anyway.

Look at LDY, that airport has been absolutely destroyed, all other carriers are gone leaving only Ryanair to run an Abysmal 9x weekly STN and 5x weekly GLA and LPL, with FAO running at 2pw for 1 or 2 months in the summer.

"To begin with"

Keep in mind the DAA are not a private company!

Keep in mind the DAA are not a private company!

What is WAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

I see now that the Luton route has had a timetable change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

VLM in trouble it seems - asking for protection from creditors in Belgium today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Bards

VLM in trouble it seems - asking for protection from creditors in Belgium today

Here's the link http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.2654640

Oh dear. I hope the airline can get over this. It will be a blow to the region. We have always supported the Waterford Luton route while it was there and we are flying out in a month's time. I hope the service will still be there by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Possible funding for the runway going ahead. Extra €10 million allocated to the regional airports.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/independent-td-got-funds-for-runway-in-government-deal-1.2654100

b757 wrote: »
    Possible funding for the runway going ahead. Extra 10 million allocated to the regional airports.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/independent-td-got-funds-for-runway-in-government-deal-1.2654100

How much to build a runway big enough to accommodate decent size planes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

That €10 million is meaningless from what I'm led to believe as it can only be used for safety enhancements.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

man98 wrote: »
    That €10 million is meaningless from what I'm led to believe as it can only be used for safety enhancements.

bit sceptical of this myself, but sure we ll take it. can never be too safe in that game

Well after yesterday's incident it would be welcome. According to the news and star the front landing gear wasn't able to come down. The plane diverted to Dublin where thankfully the landing gear did come down. No one injured thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

VLM gone almost immediately it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

VLM gone almost immediately it seems

16th June apparently.
    VLM will discontinue services to London Luton from the 16th June. Please contact our front desk for VLM contact details for reimbursement.

https://twitter.com/watairport/status/739037227745980416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Gutted about this, my late Dad loved this airport and VLM, all the staff were great to him the few times he travelled even with his declining health. I'd never flown from there and hoped (probably with too much romanticism) to fly from there myself soon. The staff there deserve a bit of luck and wish them and the airport generally well.

Ryanair not looking so bad now

They'd look even better if they started flying from Waterford again.

They'd look even better if they started flying from Waterford again.

We need the longer runway. Its absolutely vital.

• Advertisement

We need the longer runway. Its absolutely vital.

Good job the council have all that property tax cash now then, they can pull their finger out and pay for it, reaping the rewards later with enhanced transport links to the south east meaning a huge economy boost.

Advertisement