Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Myrddin wrote: »
    Normally I wouldn't, but pixelation is the one and only thing that let the Rift DK1 down so badly, and if PSVR suffers from the same level of pixelation, it's very noteworthy, and would be a deal breaker for me. Someone who never used VR before would still be blown away by it, but it becomes a huge problem after the initial 'wow' fades away.

For those who are considering getting one, will the Neo sort pixelation problems? (I haven't a clue how these things work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

For those who are considering getting one, will the Neo sort pixelation problems? (I haven't a clue how these things work)

No, pixelation is a result of the display built into the headset...it's not something controlled or affected by software/processing power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Likely it would help but unknown if it would solve it, the pixelation could come from a variety of issues, the "screen" in the headset, the processing power of the console or the game itself having poor graphics.

It's hard to judge without seeing it really but to be honest, the more I think about it, the more I think PS VR is going to have to have SOME issues not present on the Rift and VIVE, as the difference in price is quite significant. Especially when you take into account the general assumption that the PS VR has got the headset design down as the most ergonomical, they are scrimping on the hardware the others aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Thanks lads, no idea how any of these things work, I just plug them in.

Will be interesting to see what difference, if any, the Neo makes.

PSVR will be my only experience of VR. It's something I'm looking forward to even if it will be the more budget experience. Oculus and Vive are not options for me.

I think where the Neo will help will be the framerate. VR needs hugely high framerates to preserve the VR experience, & I'd wager the stock VR cannot fulfill these at all times. The Neo provides that bit more grunt to provide a stable experience, but I doubt it'll have any significant impact on any alleged pixelation.

• Advertisement

PSVR will be my only experience of VR. It's something I'm looking forward too even if it will be the more budget experience. Oculus and Vive are not options for me.

In that case, I think it'll serve you very well. As above, it's not going to be class leading (given the cost & horsepower at its disposal), but I can see it being very effective for what it is.

I was all set to buy into it, but have since changed my mind & am building a new pc instead. I just felt that circa €950 on a console & peripheral was a bridge too far, and will be going the pc route instead. I'll wait another year before moving into VR, so will likely pick up a Rift later on/next year.

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think where the Neo will help will be the framerate. VR needs hugely high framerates to preserve the VR experience, & I'd wager the stock VR cannot fulfill these at all times. The Neo provides that bit more grunt to provide a stable experience, but I doubt it'll have any significant impact on any alleged pixelation.

I think we'll see the high end FPS games etc will be very dependent on the NEO's horse power. A lot of the PS VR experiences that will come at launch will probably be less likely to need to graphically oomph to work without motion sickness.

If you look at the titles being lined up so far, a lot of them use the VR as a seldom used gimmick. You would look around and gaze in awe for a while sure, but then you'll probably end up looking straight ahead 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The "pixelation" is due to the games having to run at lower resolutions than normal to maintain higher frame rates. You have to trade one for the other and in VR fps takes priority as otherwise it will start to make you feel ill while playing it.

You won't see a VR game running in full HD 1080p at 60fps on PSVR with the standard PS4. The Neo might be able to do 720p at 120fps which would be great in the likes of Ace Combat 7 but that's alot of wishful thinking on my part.

The "pixelation" is due to the games having to run at lower resolutions than normal to maintain higher frame rates. You have to trade one for the other and in VR fps takes priority as otherwise it will start to make you feel ill while playing it.

It could also be down to cheaper, lower spec screens Sony have used in order to keep costs down too (which is more likely imo). The lower resolutions they've had to use would definitely be adding to that though.
    You won't see a VR game running in full HD 1080p at 60fps on PSVR with the standard PS4. The Neo might be able to do 720p at 120fps which would be great in the likes of Ace Combat 7 but that's alot of wishful thinking on my part.

I think given the price point, it's more than a lot of wishful thinking dude :) Here's hoping though. For now, Sony have the best chance out of everyone to allow VR to really take off...I really hope they can do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Pre ordered on Amazon back at the start of April and still no delivery date...

EDIT: Actually scratch that just checked again and have a delivery date of 18th-20th of october 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I'm not gonna get one unless Neo is released at the same time. I am hoping that Neo is not released till next year now so ppl that buy the VR are not impressed and decide to flog them off on Adverts for €200 .
    That's my idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm predicting Kinect levels of disappointment here, just don't see how they can pull off VR on a console and haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Thargor wrote: »
    I'm predicting Kinect levels of disappointment here, just don't see how they can pull off VR on a console and haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise.

Reviews have been overwhelmingly positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Where best do you guys recommend to pre-order this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Thargor wrote: »

I've tried it a couple of times now and it compares very well to Oculus. Not as high fidelity, and noticed a couple of frame rate drops in one demo, but massively impressed with it for the price. It certainly is a premium VR experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Premium tech demos, it will be gathering dust soon enough. Im sitting it out for this generation, will pick up the Oculus or Vive 2 when the tech has matured properly.

s8n wrote: »
    Where best do you guys recommend to pre-order this ?

I wouldn't . Leave it till you see the bundle deals that Argos have . At that time of the year Argos beats everyone else for bundles hands down.

I wouldn't worry about stock levels either . It's an expensive gadget that most won't bother with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I wouldn't . Leave it till you see the bundle deals that Argos have . At that time of the year Argos beats everyone else for bundles hands down.

I wouldn't worry about stock levels either . It's an expensive gadget that most won't bother with.

I predict your are going to be very wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

so with ordering the PSVR. I picked up a camera yesterday. I was going to pick up the move controllers but will wait for that double pack now.
    for people who are getting it. have you preordered any games ? or what are you thinking of picking up with it?

gmg678 wrote: »
    so with ordering the PSVR. I picked up a camera yesterday. I was going to pick up the move controllers but will wait for that double pack now.
    for people who are getting it. have you preordered any games ? or what are you thinking of picking up with it?

I was hoping to go with the deluxe, all in pack, controllers, camera and PSVR worlds game.

For other games, i was looking forward to the free battlefront mission but might pick up RIGS, looks like it'd be a laugh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bought a G29 there for VR, will get a flight stick soon but waiting for a good price.

Not pre-ordered as I want to wait and see, and I also want the bundle as well which wasn't up or I don't even think it's announced yet for here.

Varik wrote: »
    Bought a G29 there for VR, will get a flight stick soon but waiting for a good price.

Not pre-ordered as I want to wait and see, and I also want the bundle as well which wasn't up or I don't even think it's announced yet for here.

I was only thinking there I really should get a wheel for VR.

I was talking to gamestop and they were quite happy to upgrade my pre-order to a deluxe package once they are on the system

I picked up a t150 for €100 off adverts a while back in preparation . I have the Move's and camera already.

I'm ready to go . Plug me in and sign me up :)

I am definitely waiting to check out the offers in Argos before I buy a VR hs . I reckon that there will be plenty of stock around for the holidays .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Has everyone stocked up on move controllers and cameras or are they waiting till it's launched to buy?

Wondering whether or not to buy them now or wait for a bundle... Probably won't get VR day one but if a bundle with 2 move controllers and camera is at a reasonable price I may buy that first...

Has everyone stocked up on move controllers and cameras or are they waiting till it's launched to buy?

Wondering whether or not to buy them now or wait for a bundle... Probably won't get VR day one but if a bundle with 2 move controllers and camera is at a reasonable price I may buy that first...
    picked up camera last week.

will get the move controllers but they are to release a double pack of them so waiting for that. If not out by end of month i'll pick up 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

will get the move controllers but they are to release a double pack of them so waiting for that. If not out by end of month i'll pick up 2.

Yeah they where 8euro in cex now they 12euro... Think the double pack is rumoured to be 100$ ..

For that price you would expect a camera to be included but not sure if it is... 100euro for 2 moves and camera should be the price Sony launch with as who would pay 50euro for a move controller when there's a vast amount of them for 12euro?

Yeah they where 8euro in cex now they 12euro... Think the double pack is rumoured to be 100$ ..

For that price you would expect a camera to be included but not sure if it is... 100euro for 2 moves and camera should be the price Sony launch with as who would pay 50euro for a move controller when there's a vast amount of them for 12euro?
    the only reason I am waiting for the double pack is that they are talking about a slight redesign of the move controller to do with the charging cable been micro-usb.
    CEX is good for the warranty and these things, I will wait till the end of month and if it nots out by then I get from CEX.

so there is talk of the Demo disc that is coming with PSVR and that there will be 18 games on it but what I am reading is that some of these will only be available in NA including RE7 new VR demo.
    any know if we will see this over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

so there is talk of the Demo disc that is coming with PSVR and that there will be 18 games on it but what I am reading is that some of these will only be available in NA including RE7 new VR demo.

They are not all worldwide demos. EU gets a subset:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277757

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/09/06/free-demo-disc-with-playstation-vr-at-launch/

• Advertisement

They are not all worldwide demos. EU gets a subset:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277757

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/09/06/free-demo-disc-with-playstation-vr-at-launch/
    can't look at those from work.
    but did read an article just as posted. we are only getting 8demos. that really does suck.

Advertisement