Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I find wai grand on the Raw reviews to be honest, the product's the ****s for the most part but they're enduring it pretty well. Review A Wai has been poor for a good while now though, they've basically just exhausted their options (asides from watching Russo WCW each week, which sounds like hell on earth), and with RAW being a TV thing for them now, it's really the priority.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

They've definitely covered pretty much everything at this point with Review-a-Wai. Perhaps doing a story arc over many episodes would be better, like what they did with the invasion, over like 6 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

jaykhunter wrote: »
    "for some reason"!
    I don't know how podcasters who review current wrestling can stick it for more than a year; WWE is SO MUCH WORSE when you have to pay attention so you can talk about it. Wai & John do RAW and a retro review every week for the last 6 years. Impact too for a few years. I can't believe they still do it for free without fail!

They are employed & paid by The Fight Network, I am sure they are obliged to do them by their employers & not work for free.
    John works on the LAW, Bauer and Pollock, the MMA report & on camera with the network too which is basically how I catch up on mma news via YouTube uploads.
    I guess I expect him to be jaded more but he rarely shows it as much. As he said a few weeks ago he doesn't show it.

Review a Raw is part of their work obligations, from what I've gathered there's never been any pressure on them to keep at review a wai at all, it was a bonus thing they originally done to boost the downloads of the LAW but had to be split off due to its popularity and the size of the mp3s (this is a pre-Between The Sheets and Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast world where having an mp3 that's several hundred megabytes large was unheard of).

Pollock's a machine in terms of all the stuff he does, endlessly amazes me he hasn't been given a chance at somewhere bigger (I bet I've said as much in the last page or two of this thread). Wai's not a host/journalist/reporter/whatever-Pollock-is and was never into it all in the same wai as Pollack so it'd be understandable that he'd be more easily wore down by the commitment involved.

Reiterating what you said there, ya only the on-camera stuff would be part of their work obligations (only since they became TV shows) and likely Sunday's LAW as it's on TSN 1050, but the podcast-only shows (like Bauer & Pollock) they do because they want to.

With regards to getting something bigger, I remember John saying something about being reluctant to take a job in the WWE (I don't know if that was just theoretical or had been offered something) but it was between John and Matt Striker (and a few others) to do the American commentary for wrestle kingdom 9, thanks to John's coverage of the tournament in years past. Sadly they went for "he used to be a shít commentator on SD" over talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Haven't in a while but dipped back into Colt's AOW. Always heard the stories of Teddy Hart but not being big on the indie scene I never really looked much more into it.

What a wholly unlikeable guy. Comes across as (and most likely is) a compete tool. Himself and Colt were like chalk and cheese. Colt, like most of the listeners, cringed big time being fed Teddy's stories of drugs and other adventures in sleaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Teddy Hart is one of those guys I have no idea how he keeps getting hired. He did a shoot interview with Chuck Taylor called Best Friends with Teddy Hart where its clear everyone there is disgusted by him, he reveals he was in prison for rape and they just look horrified.

Teddy Hart is one of those guys I have no idea how he keeps getting hired. He did a shoot interview with Chuck Taylor called Best Friends with Teddy Hart where its clear everyone there is disgusted by him, he reveals he was in prison for rape and they just look horrified.
    Not being racist or anything, but almost all of his work is in Mexico, isn't it? They seem to be more tolerant of c*nts. On Between the Sheets there a few weeks ago they were talking about how Chris Benoit is still really popular in some parts of Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,750 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Listening to Seth Rollins on jerichos podcast. He comes across really good. He seems like a sound guy.

Also Seth Rollins name dropped becky lynch as someone he was in contact when he was out injured. Nice to hear that one of the top guys was giving her advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭themick

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also Seth Rollins name dropped becky lynch as someone he was in contact when he was out injured. Nice to hear that one of the top guys was giving her advice.

The last woman in the company we knew he was texting didn't work out too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Listening to Seth Rollins on jerichos podcast. He comes across really good. He seems like a sound guy.

Seth does a pretty good impersonation of Vince McMahon as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Review a Raw is part of their work obligations, from what I've gathered there's never been any pressure on them to keep at review a wai at all, it was a bonus thing they originally done to boost the downloads of the LAW but had to be split off due to its popularity and the size of the mp3s (this is a pre-Between The Sheets and Lapsed Fan wrestling podcast world where having an mp3 that's several hundred megabytes large was unheard of).

Pollock's a machine in terms of all the stuff he does, endlessly amazes me he hasn't been given a chance at somewhere bigger (I bet I've said as much in the last page or two of this thread). Wai's not a host/journalist/reporter/whatever-Pollock-is and was never into it all in the same wai as Pollack so it'd be understandable that he'd be more easily wore down by the commitment involved.

John Pollock > Bryan Alvarez

Ageyev wrote: »
    John Pollock > Bryan Alvarez
    Damning him with faint praise, I see! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nancy benoits sister was on talk is jericho this week. A great listen and its not just a chris benoit bashing but some interesting stories about what he was like as a person and also the change in his behaviour after his wrestlemania win. Also she puts some myths to bed regarding that weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ricero wrote: »
    Nancy benoits sister was on talk is jericho this week. A great listen and its not just a chris benoit bashing but some interesting stories about what he was like as a person and also the change in his behaviour after his wrestlemania win. Also she puts some myths to bed regarding that weekend

I listened to it earlier. Well worth checking out and gives a lot of insight into the tragic events. She came across very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Gonna listen no doubt, but Jericho seems dodgy doing this. Like, she should let them RIP, but he is actually profiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Reebrock wrote: »
    Gonna listen no doubt, but Jericho seems dodgy doing this. Like, she should let them RIP, but he is actually profiting.

Chris was a good freind of benoits and its a respectful interview. Think it was done so fans could understand the actual truths and what benoit and nancy were like as people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah I was a bit cynical when I heard the idea, but listening to it today it doesn't come across that way at all. She's a really good interview, very warm and engaging despite everything she's obviously gone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Yeah as most of you have already said it was a really interesting piece and hats off to Jericho too, he was incredibly tactful with how he handled the interview, something not everyone in his position dealing with such a subject could achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I'm sure it's good but not my idea of fun, Benoit was a bully to a lot of the new wrestlers in WWE

I was braced for the worst, but she speaks warmly of Chris (the man before he was the murdering psychopath) and is pretty matter-of-fact of the days right afterwards (staying in the house to clean up - had to do the dishes from the BBQ earlier in the week) and misses seeing Daniel grow up most. Jericho has a great deft touch (as a family friend), which is not in any way exploitative. It's not a fun listen but it does have a sense of closure, to have someone so close to it move on.

Ric flairs podcast is moving to mlw radio and the first episode is out tomorrow and the first guest is Cody Rhodes. That should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ric flairs podcast is moving to mlw radio and the first episode is out tomorrow and the first guest is Cody Rhodes. That should be interesting.

It could be seen to some as another indication that Cody hasnt really be released, of all the podcasts he goes to its one connected with WWE in a roundabout way. (Though its clear that Rhodes and Flair have tons of interlinked history too).

Brian Gewirtz's episode of Talk is Jericho was really good, can see how the guy managed to stick around the WWE so long, practically everyone seems to have some sort of chip on their shoulder but he was pretty level headed about everything and he seemed to have a very good recollection of stuff.

Didn't try too hard to be funny either, which was a big surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Maybe been mention before before I really enjoy Square Circle Gazette Monday night war timeline review. They go by show for show for both WCW/WWE with notes from the Observer. I don't care for there other shows, The Trials etc but timeline is good.
    Shout out to the Bottom rope, an Irish wrestling podcast. I think the raw review is pointless given the podcast comes out 5/6 days after Raw. But other wise the lads are sound and nice to hear and Irish podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Maybe been mention before before I really enjoy Square Circle Gazette Monday night war timeline review. They go by show for show for both WCW/WWE with notes from the Observer. I don't care for there other shows, The Trials etc but timeline is good.
    Shout out to the Bottom rope, an Irish wrestling podcast. I think the raw review is pointless given the podcast comes out 5/6 days after Raw. But other wise the lads are sound and nice to hear and Irish podcast.

Back in my day we had to wait four days to even watch Raw! Maybe they never broke that habit? :pac:

Bayley is on jerichos podcast. She comes across well.

Haha very funny bayley and ric flair story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Luther Ward on Colt Canabas podcast was pretty interesting, good recap of the history of the Irish scene and how being a guy in NXT for about 10 minutes works.

Advertisement