Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm 20 and bought an ae86, what's the best way to insure it?

Options
  • 20-07-2016 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all, I've just purchased an ar86 jap 3dr levin, in dire need of help and info as to how I should go about insurance any input would be greatly appreciated, it is my dream car and just can't wait til I am of age to get classic r trade insurance. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Johnoae86 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've just purchased an ar86 jap 3dr levin, in dire need of help and info as to how I should go about insurance any input would be greatly appreciated, it is my dream car and just can't wait til I am of age to get classic r trade insurance. Thanks.

No offence but did you not look into this before you purchased? There is little or no way for you to get insured. Sell it quick !! ;) I'll give you a fair price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Sorry OP, but the wait will be a few years. Don't even think of fronting, etc. If its in good nick, get a Yaris or Micra as a daily driver and in a few years insure in on a classic policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Johnoae86 wrote: »

Cheapest and fastest way would be to move to a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

You need to be 25 years old to qualify for classic insurance on 15 years or older cars, but i dont know any insurance that will insure jap cars on a classic insurance policy, so you are out of luck there.
    I would be very surprised if you can get any form of insurance on it at your age, get enough refusals and i think the onbudsman can then help you get a quote, but it will be a stupid amount just to make you go away.

But let us know if you do have any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If you have 3 written refusals the motor insurance federation can instruct an insurer to quote you - but have many thousands of euro ready. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

your wait will be long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Skatedude wrote: »
    You need to be 25 years old to qualify for classic insurance on 15 years or older cars, but i dont know any insurance that will insure jap cars on a classic insurance policy, so you are out of luck there.
    I would be very surprised if you can get any form of insurance on it at your age, get enough refusals and i think the onbudsman can then help you get a quote, but it will be a stupid amount just to make you go away.

But let us know if you do have any luck.

A lot of the MX5 Brigade would disagree with that.....currently paying €198 for 1st MX ('91) and an extra €21 for a 2nd one ('90) on a classic policy, fully comp.
    Autoline have had no problem insuring them for me for the last few years, despite changing cars almost yearly.

As regards the ombudsman route; if they feel the quote that is eventually forced out of an Insurer is ridiculously high they will force them to bring it down.......not going to really help the OP though, even the Ombudsman would suggest he try insuring something more sensible given his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭selectamatic

It's really the popular classic or future classic jap cars that insurers refuse to give classic quotes on. Toyota and Honda are the most demonised especially civics and starlets. With nissans it's really down to the model skylines and silvia's are a no no but other less popular models such as the 300zx etc seem to be accepted.
    Subaru's and mitsubishi's particularly Evo's are generally refused aswell.
    If ya have the cash (surely ya have enough if ya could afford an ae86) force a quote through ombudsman. If ya want to do it cheap go down the root of third party extension and that whole grey area, F all good to ya if anything happens your very valuable car but it will allow you to have the bare minimum of cover to get ya on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Johnoae86 wrote:

Mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

It's really the popular classic or future classic jap cars that insurers refuse to give classic quotes on. Toyota and Honda are the most demonised especially civics and starlets. With nissans it's really down to the model skylines and silvia's are a no no but other less popular models such as the 300zx etc seem to be accepted. Subaru's and mitsubishi's particularly Evo's are generally refused aswell. If ya have the cash (surely ya have enough if ya could afford an ae86) force a quote through ombudsman. If ya want to do it cheap go down the root of third party extension and that whole grey area, F all good to ya if anything happens your very valuable car but it will allow you to have the bare minimum of cover to get ya on the road.

That's not a grey area. If the car is yours it don't be covered by a driving other cars extension from your own policy.

And OP the days of trade insurance for non traders is long gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

The five years will fly. Garage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Johnoae86

Thanks all for the reply but car will be kept, took a lot of work to get the car I always wanted, third party extension sounds like the best route for me as its not a car I wish to drive 24/7 it would only see road once a week if anything, any more information anybody has to offer would be great, considering Ireland has became ae86 central in recent years with so many people owning them I'm sure there's some company out there willing to deal with you to some degree, thanks for all the posts, great to get some input, I had looked into it a few months back and knew it wouldn't be easy but figured there must be a way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Talk to these people:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/238765389790646/?active_tab=highlights

You'll get some advice for sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Find this all a bit hard to believe TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Find this all a bit hard to believe TBH.

I'm inclined to agree but good luck to op if he had bought his dream car. I'm 40 plus and haven't bought dream car yet but sure if you haven't been dreaming about it for 20years it might only be a passing fad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Some insurers offer 3rd party extension (driving of other cars) provided the car is taxed and tested, and not in your name.
    I have been doing this for years with Liberty without issue, put the car in your mothers name and buy a 1litre to insure and for daily driving.

Timmyr wrote: »
    Some insurers offer 3rd party extension (driving of other cars) provided the car is taxed and tested, and not in your name.
    I have been doing this for years with Liberty without issue, put the car in your mothers name and buy a 1litre to insure and for daily driving.

Not a very good solution in fairness. He will not have fire & theft cover on a car that has security as good as a shed and is a wanted car by any youngster.

It also doesn't help abusing things like third party extension because insurance companies will just stop providing this kind of cover to people who genuinely need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

shietpilot wrote: »
    Not a very good solution in fairness. He will not have fire & theft cover on a car that has security as good as a shed and is a wanted car by any youngster.

It also doesn't help abusing things like third party extension because insurance companies will just stop providing this kind of cover to people who genuinely need it!

As long as he's legally covered the basic 3rd party that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

You won't get a classic policy at 20, especially not on a Jap car.

Stick it in a parents name and get them to put a classic policy on it to cover the car. Then get insurance on a daily with third party extension. Liberty are the best value at the minute usually! This way you're covered to drive it and the cars covered for fire & theft too.

Not an ideal situation, but it works.

Any pics? :D

Cienciano wrote: »
    As long as he's legally covered the basic 3rd party that's all that matters.

Putting his car in his mother's name (his. HIS car) is not "legally covered". It's insurance fraud. Insurance won't cover him on such cars for a good reason. Look at any backroad with a decent road surface and you'll see why.

• Advertisement

Putting his car in his mother's name (his. HIS car) is not "legally covered". It's insurance fraud. Insurance won't cover him on such cars for a good reason. Look at any backroad with a decent road surface and you'll see why.

And how do you prove who owns the car?

If his mother is the registered owner and says she owns the car, theres nobody to prove otherwise.

millington wrote: »
    And how do you prove who owns the car?

If his mother is the registered owner and says she owns the car, theres nobody to prove otherwise.

I would have a hard time believing his mother owns a 1980s Toyota Corolla lowered (probably) on aftermarket wheels (probably). I know what you're saying but it's not right and not safe not insuring a car that could cost around €10k and has little security features.

I would have a hard time believing his mother owns a 1980s Toyota Corolla lowered (probably) on aftermarket wheels (probably). I know what you're saying but it's not right and not safe not insuring a car that could cost around €10k and has little security features.

It's a good thing you're not the law so ;)

Anyway, that can be solved by putting it into a mans name instead. More "believable" then.

Also, like I said, put a classic policy on it in the registered owners name and it's covered for theft.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Anyway, that can be solved by putting it into a mans name instead. More "believable" then.

Also, like I said, put a classic policy on it in the registered owners name and it's covered for theft.

Not really cos the guards arent stupid. They see a 20 year old young fella driving a twincam then he is going to be heavily scrutinised by them and they will see through the insurance fraud straight away.

Oh dear... and I always wonder why most insurance companies don't provide third party extension to under 25s...

I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying it's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Timmyr wrote: »

Does the car your driving third party have an insurance disc displayed?

Oh dear... and I always wonder why most insurance companies don't provide third party extension to under 25s...

I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying it's not right.

What does it matter if it's right? Whats not right is the fact the car is almost uninsurable in this country. I guarantee you any other 20 year old who got Mammy to pay €500 to get insured on her Corsa is far more likely to cause an accident than one who worked his arse off to get his "dream" car.
    weekaizer wrote: »
    Does the car your driving third party have an insurance disc displayed?
    Doesn't have to have one to be covered but you can be fined by Gardaí for not displaying one. Another strange law I think

Doesn't make an ounce of difference as pointed out previously, most insurers won't give him driving other cars extension under his policy as he's under 25.

You are also suggesting that the OP buys another car and takes out an insurance policy on it. By the time he does that he's halfway to just paying legit insurance on the original car.

He can't just buy a corsa for 500 quid and then look to insure it. Because anything over 12 years will be a problem. Not to mention he'd probably still end up paying 2k for insurance anyway.

• Advertisement

peteb2 wrote: »
    Doesn't make an ounce of difference as pointed out previously, most insurers won't give him driving other cars extension under his policy as he's under 25.

peteb2 wrote: »
    You are also suggesting that the OP buys another car and takes out an insurance policy on it. By the time he does that he's halfway to just paying legit insurance on the original car.

He can't just buy a corsa for 500 quid and then look to insure it. Because anything over 12 years will be a problem. Not to mention he'd probably still end up paying 2k for insurance anyway.

Liberty & Aviva both do it for under 25s and as he stated the car will be driven once a week it's not a daily car. Liberty also have no problem insuring most cars up to 20 years old although it does get more expensive the older you go.

I don't know of any insurers that will do an ordinary policy on a classic car at any price although a friend of mine transferred on to an AE86 with his ordinary policy last year after a lot of arguing.

Advertisement