Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm 20 and bought an ae86, what's the best way to insure it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Did the op manage to get a quote

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    It's a €60 FCP and No Points. Not going to put many young guys off the idea of using DOC (Driving Other Cars).

And Ive never met a guard to give it, usually given 10 days to produce your insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Liberty just need it to be taxed and NCTd. Aviva needs it to be insured too. I suppose it's to stop this practice of having a second car on the go like people are suggesting with this ae86

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Liberty simply say "roadworthy" rather than NCT'd.
    Which probably leaves it even more open to their own interpretation of "roadworthiness" in the event of a claim. :)

edit; That is from the experience in this house with three drivers all having had Quinn/Liberty Policies over the past few years. One current Liberty policy holder here and no mention of an NCT, just that the 'other car' must be Roadworthy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think it's worth considering what exactly this "other cars extension" is designed to do, and why it's included in some policies.

It's not supposed to cover situations like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Utmost Good Faith is a term some people here might do well to research

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Liberty just need it to be taxed and NCTd. Aviva needs it to be insured too. I suppose it's to stop this practice of having a second car on the go like people are suggesting with this ae86

Aviva seem to be a bit confused on their stance one rep told me it has to be insured as well while a two others said it just has to be road worthy. Also there's no mention of the car needing insurance in my policy wording neither is it mentioned on their website as far as I can recall. The only clause in the aviva driving of other cars is that their is 2000cc limit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I think it's worth considering what exactly this "other cars extension" is designed to do, and why it's included in some policies.

It's not supposed to cover situations like this.

Good question Mr. Ford.
    Because the one stipulation most insurers insist on to avail of DOC is that your own car is "not damaged beyond economic repair"....in other words written-off.
    Which frankly makes this whole thing a bit ridiculous.
    If somebody crashes into you on a saturday night and your car is written-off, then you are not covered to drive somebody else's car. So, at the very point you may need to avail of this extension (without any hint of 'Fraud', etc) the Insurers negate the extension. Which could then leave you unable to get to work on a Sunday, for example.
    So, other than going for a spin in your mate's car (or possibly being the sober one, while the car owner is drunk) what other uses does this extension have ?
    Personally I can only see it being handy for test-driving a potential purchase. But even then any damage you may cause to the car you are driving is not covered, so not a whole lot of reassurance to the Seller

I use the third party extension often enough for it to be useful on a policy.

Like when mine is in the mechanic. Or driving a mates car when I'm stuck.

Its situations like this its designed for. Not ones where your driving something every day of the week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Good question Mr. Ford.
    Because the one stipulation most insurers insist on to avail of DOC is that your own car is "not damaged beyond economic repair"....in other words written-off.
    Which frankly makes this whole thing a bit ridiculous.
    If somebody crashes into you on a saturday night and your car is written-off, then you are not covered to drive somebody else's car. So, at the very point you may need to avail of this extension (without any hint of 'Fraud', etc) the Insurers negate the extension. Which could then leave you unable to get to work on a Sunday, for example.
    So, other than going for a spin in your mate's car (or possibly being the sober one, while the car owner is drunk) what other uses does this extension have ?
    Personally I can only see it being handy for test-driving a potential purchase. But even then any damage you may cause to the car you are driving is not covered, so not a whole lot of reassurance to the Seller

Yep.

It certainly isn't intended to provide some sort of back door carte blanche for young lads to drive otherwise uninsurable high performance cars.

• Advertisement

Aviva seem to be a bit confused on their stance one rep told me it has to be insured as well while a two others said it just has to be road worthy. Also there's no mention of the car needing insurance in my policy wording neither is it mentioned on their website as far as I can recall. The only clause in the aviva driving of other cars is that their is 2000cc limit

That's what aviva told me on the phone today; Tax, insurance and NCT. Their very words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

shietpilot wrote: »
    I would have a hard time believing his mother owns a 1980s Toyota Corolla lowered (probably) on aftermarket wheels (probably). I know what you're saying but it's not right and not safe not insuring a car that could cost around €10k and has little security features.

That's a bit stereotypical the mother or older person could well be into jap classics,not just "boy racers" that appreciate these vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Utmost Good Faith is a term some people here might do well to research

I said it depends on the questioning. If the question is, "is the car in your (mothers) name?"
    Then you're telling the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Cienciano wrote: »
    I said it depends on the questioning. If the question is, "is the car in your (mothers) name?"

Nothing to do with the questioning, there is an onus on both parties to disclose any facts that may lead the other party to make a different decision about entering the contract, like for example choosing to register their car (one that they could not otherwise insure) in another person's name to make use of a third party extension on their own policy to drive that car.

Do you think the company issuing the policy with the third party extension would offer the policy at the same price or with a 3rd party extension at all if the full facts were disclosed? It's not a case of 'well they never asked', there's an obligation to disclose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

That's a bit stereotypical the mother or older person could well be into jap classics,not just "boy racers" that appreciate these vehicles

Yes an older person is definitely interested in rock hard suspension with coilovers :):):):):):):)

Yes an older person is definitely interested in rock hard suspension with coilovers :):):):):):):)

Definitely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Here's one that's into them...

May_2033562b.jpg

Wait a sec... Even him isn't :D

Cienciano wrote: »

You don't really understand the whole utmost good faith thing do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Johnoae86

So after taking s good read of this I've came down to the ultimatum that third party extension is the route I will choose, buy a little polo etc, insure use third party extension on cam once a week, and would also like to mention in referral to one particular comment I saw the word "boyracer" used, I'm a car in this is at, always have been always will be, work with cars day in day out and its my lively hood, drag racing down main roads at two o clock in the morning isn't my scene and tbqh ringing the **** out of a car I played a lot of money for wasn't part of the dream, yeah I'd make an aception on track days obviously, but I'm a great lover of Toyota especially ae86 and have been into them for years so I would appreciate not me or the car being branded "boyracer" material, boyracer days are almost dead and gone as far as I'm concerned, as for all the info and comments much appreciated lads, got great insight into this topic, helped a lot

He has no taste there a classic for all ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭selectamatic

That's what aviva told me on the phone today; Tax, insurance and NCT. Their very words.

One rep told me that too but the others said tax and NCT, however as I already said there is no mention of the car needing insurance on my policy documents and to my knowledge no mention of such a clause on their website. Their words and what they have in writing are two very different things what's written on your policy documents supersedes all.

Let's recap here...
    1/. Young chap buys high performance car.
    2/. Discovers it's uninsurable.
    3/. Schemes to retain ownership but put parents name on the log book with the sole purpose of using 3rd party extension from a policy on another car to enable him be the sole driver of the car mentioned at 1/. above.

It's a nonsense. It's deception and arguably fraudulant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You don't really understand the whole utmost good faith thing do you?

Its a simple question. "Are you the registered owner of the car?"
    There's one answer to this question.

Let's recap here...
    1/. Young chap buys high performance car.
    2/. Discovers it's uninsurable.
    3/. Schemes to retain ownership but put parents name on the log book with the sole purpose of using 3rd party extension from a policy on another car to enable him be the sole driver of the car mentioned at 1/. above.

It's a nonsense. It's deception and arguably fraudulant.

I have to disagree I would 100% pay legit insurance if taken on by insurance companies but simply can't be done, also might I add, its a 1.6 engine....... Not quite high performance very few mods to engine atal, its not a Ferrari I'm trying to insure, fraudulent it may be, but insurance is the barrier between me and something that makes me happy and I've always wanted to have my dream car and be able to take it out on the road, not locked up until I'm 25 which is almost four years away... In which time with Irish insurers being how they are could change rules and regulations god knows how, everybody is entitled to there opinion, I understand were a lot of people here are coming from, it is ropey but it is what it is and will do,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I have to say I find it remarkable that you can't mention the name of dodgy motor dealers on boards in case they get sued, can't discuss certain software in android forums lest its deemed illegal but its entirely allowed that you can discuss and propagate how to fraudently deceive a motor insurer.

Johnoae86 wrote: »
    I have to disagree I would 100% pay legit insurance if taken on by insurance companies but simply can't be done, also might I add, its a 1.6 engine....... Not quite high performance very few mods to engine atal, its not a Ferrari I'm trying to insure, fraudulent it may be, but insurance is the barrier between me and something that makes me happy and I've always wanted to have my dream car and be able to take it out on the road, not locked up until I'm 25 which is almost four years away... In which time with Irish insurers being how they are could change rules and regulations god knows how, everybody is entitled to there opinion, I understand were a lot of people here are coming from, it is ropey but it is what it is and will do,

Well then maybe you should have taken the grown up approach and actually looked into all the costs of running a car before you actually bought it. You gonna tax it? Nah. why bother! Its just a shame that polo is going to cost you about 2k to insure anyway.

The ironic thing is the companies that are prepared to quote you are probably the ones that will exclude the driving other cars extension for people of your age.

But should young people be in the position were they have to fraud the system ?? Honestly take a look at learner drivers and the rules they have, its just insane realistically, yeah I no it pushes them to get full licenses I no from experience I had to get mine straight away at 17 to avoid the hassle of motoring as a provisional, but anyway back to what I was saying, young people should not be put in this position by insurer's, take a look at stats and I'm pretty sure majority of road collisions/incidents aren't mostly caused by young drivers, any young learner driver or fully licensed driver would agree that we would pay legit at a reasonable rate on a car that firstly had valid nct and tax, I can't justify a young person paying almost 4k for insurance on his or her own, its a money racket that insurer's can get away with so if there's a loopole young people can use to avoid getting completely ripped off let's use it until insurers come back down to earth and start talking realistically to young drivers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

It's legal. It's a loophole.

Morally right? Debatable.
    Legal? Definitely.

We have a 12.5% corporate tax rate. Are insurance companies paying 12.5% tax or are they availing of the double Irish loophole?

peteb2 wrote: »
    Well then maybe you should have taken the grown up approach and actually looked into all the costs of running a car before you actually bought it. You gonna tax it? Nah. why bother! Its just a shame that polo is going to cost you about 2k to insure anyway.

The ironic thing is the companies that are prepared to quote you are probably the ones that will exclude the driving other cars extension for people of your age.

Why wouldn't I tax it ?? 56 euros for the year come next January haha, I don't think that will break the bank, full license held three years, three years no claims, Aviva will cover driving of other cars to anyone that holds a full license once I am policy holder, and 2k is a bit far fetched I'm afraid for a 1litre polo consdiering im driving a 1.9 golf thats not even costing 2k 😂😂

• Advertisement

So you came here with part stories to suit yourself. No mention before of your no claims bonus, licence status, or the fact you owned a car.

So if you're happy with the cost of your insurance presently then stop whinging about how young people are getting ripped off for car insurance if you aren't. Your problem here is you can't access a limited mileage policy because you aren't 25.

Just get rid of your golf so and do a sub to the other car. Aviva may not like it but they have to deal with it as your motor insurer.

Are are you just crying because you want to have your cake and eat it and keep both. ??

Advertisement