Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King's It

• 13-07-2016 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,180 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First look at Pennywise the Clown.
    Look below and you’ll lay eyes on the first look at Pennywise the Dancing Clown from next year’s film adaptation of Stephen King’s It, with Bill Skarsgård taking on the role of the most fearsome creature to ever clutch a bouquet of balloons.

“It’s such an extreme character. Inhumane,” Skarsgård says. “It’s beyond even a sociopath, because he’s not even human. He’s not even a clown. I’m playing just one of the beings It creates.”

00002124511pennywise.jpg

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/13/it-movie-pennywise-first-look

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Can't fcuking wait!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Aww deadly, funnily enough I'm halfway through re-reading the book, and I had no idea this was coming out! Can't wait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

After putting up a bit of a fight about Idris Elba being cast as Roland in Kings Dark Tower I'm coming around as he looks totally badass in the set photos.

But here I go again. Based on the poster no. (yes I read the book, saw the tim curry) The downturned face and the eyes looking up, the rill of clown paint/ blood from lip to eye. Nah.

Pennywise was scary because he didn't look like the usual scary clown figure from a hundred horror movies which poster boy does.

He was scary because he looked liked a regular clown. Until he wasn't. Thats how he got the kids.

We all float down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Been a while since I've seen the original. Didn't find it scary back then, the book on the other hand is unnerving. I'm looking forward to this.

It's a pity about some of King's adaptations, cheap looking/accompanied with poor acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

another Skarsgård? how many are there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Heckler wrote: »
    After putting up a bit of a fight about Idris Elba being cast as Roland in Kings Dark Tower I'm coming around as he looks totally badass in the set photos.

But here I go again. Based on the poster no. (yes I read the book, saw the tim curry) The downturned face and the eyes looking up, the rill of clown paint/ blood from lip to eye. Nah.

Pennywise was scary because he didn't look like the usual scary clown figure from a hundred horror movies which poster boy does.

He was scary because he looked liked a regular clown. Until he wasn't. Thats how he got the kids.

We all float down here.

It's one photo. Haven't we all learned by now not to dismiss a performance/character/movie based on one photo. How do you know Pennywise won't look like a regular, happy clown for much of the movie? The poster is just establishing this as an "evil clown movie", probably aimed at the casual viewer not familiar with IT... in which case a happy looking Pennywise would be a weird hook (as much as fans of the book/original movie would enjoy that).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm still pissed Cary Fukunaga walked away from this due to creative differences. Had such high hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Did the book have a different ending to the Tim Curry version? Because I've never seen another movie that went so badly off the rails after an absolutely brilliant first 45 minutes.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Did the book have a different ending to the Tim Curry version? Because I've never seen another movie that went so badly off the rails after an absolutely brilliant first 45 minutes.

I've never read the book and I've wondered this myself. It's like Stephen King had a time limit on his book deal and rushed through the ending with the first crap that popped in to his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

smash wrote: »
    I've never read the book and I've wondered this myself. It's like Stephen King had a time limit on his book deal and rushed through the ending with the first crap that popped in to his head.

The book and movie were miles apart; the book was incredible, the movie absolute dross, so i wouldnt be comparing the two at all. Stephen King himself did the screenplay I think, which was a massive mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'm also excited to see this, but how dare they remake a movie from my childhood, pack of fuppin backstards, rapin my childhood etc etc etc...

I actually can't remember IT all that well now that I think about it. I just remember some of the main scenes and the ending. I have a DVD that I bought just to have but never watched so I must give it a go. When I was a lot younger I remember watching it as a mini series on TV, maybe it's different or maybe I'm mistaken about the mini series.

To be honest I think I never rewatched it because it scared me when I was young, which was good, and every other Stephen King movie has been utterly crap so I didn't want to ruin it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

It was the perfect horror/thriller....
    As a kid growing up dams,culverts,manholes and drains were intriguing and creepy looking....
    He's able to get into people's biggest fears,where I grew up there was a concrete dam and culvert nearby it unnerved the fk out of us kids.

Old water work plant's are eerie....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Sleepy wrote: »

Been years since I read the book but as far as I remember it really falls to bits towards the end and has some just weird bits (and not creepy weird, how much blow had king put up his nose to write it weird)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Didn't the book end with an orgy of sorts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Didn't the book end with an orgy of sorts?

Yep but naturally pubescent orgies isn't really a subject that would go down with the moral majority.

Plus It was a TV movie rather than a movie movie.

I wonder will it be included in the new version. Obviously it would need to be suggested only but I do feel it was an important part of the books ending and it cemented their bond.

I'm interested to see what this turns out like.

I've never had any issue with clowns so didn't find the original at all difficult and tbh its just a bad movie. Curry was good in it but aside from that it's all very poor.

King adaptations range widely from the sublime (The Mist or The Shining) to the ridiculous (The Langoliers or Dreamcatcher) so I won't have much expectations and will hope for a pleasant surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I actually can't remember IT all that well now that I think about it. I just remember some of the main scenes and the ending. I have a DVD that I bought just to have but never watched so I must give it a go. When I was a lot younger I remember watching it as a mini series on TV, maybe it's different or maybe I'm mistaken about the mini series.

To be honest I think I never rewatched it because it scared me when I was young, which was good, and every other Stephen King movie has been utterly crap so I didn't want to ruin it.

Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist and The Shining are crap alright.

Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist and The Shining are crap alright.

Yea, they're good, as is Misery. But honestly after looking up the complete list I can't find another good one. I thought the mist was crap, and even some classics like Salem's lot and children of the corn are just rubbish. I remember staying up to watch sleepwalkers and pet cemetery when I was young and neither of them even made my flinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Carrie?

Its probably not possible for me to objectively judge the original 'it' movie/mini series. I watched it at such an impressionable age that I will always hold it in high regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

A risk of turning this into a thread about Stephen King adaptations rather than IT... I thought The Mist was brilliant. Some really good monster horror in there as well as the dangers within the store where they are holed up. Great downbeat ending too.

No doubt there is a lot of muck that has been made from King's catalog but as well as the "greats" already mentioned above (add Carrie to the list), I'd give honorable mentions to...
    - Running Man: another Arnie classic :)
    - 1408: A solid, enjoyable movie. Not a classic but still good.
    - Maximum Override: Completely stupid movie but I enjoyed it as a kid. One of those cheesy, not too scary horrors that has B-movie written all over it.
    - Lawnmower Man: Cool concept, average delivery raising it above B-movie territory, and great FX for the day.
    - IT: Pennywise was great and did a good job of giving me a few scares but hasn't dated well.

I've heard 11.22.63 is quite good too.

• Advertisement

Yea, they're good, as is Misery. But honestly after looking up the complete list I can't find another good one. I thought the mist was crap, and even some classics like Salem's lot and children of the corn are just rubbish. I remember staying up to watch sleepwalkers and pet cemetery when I was young and neither of them even made my flinch.

Bollócks!

Salem's Lot is a stone cold classic, bar the ridiculous looking vamp. As is Pet Cemetery.

What did make you flinch as a kid?

Anyhoo Christine/Carrie are probably my favorite adaptation's of Kings work. Both still hold up remarkably well.

Oh yeah and Cujo is deadly too.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Carrie?
    Na. The reboot was dull aswell.
    S.M.B. wrote: »
    Its probably not possible for me to objectively judge the original 'it' movie/mini series. I watched it at such an impressionable age that I will always hold it in high regard.
    same, that's why I like it.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Bollócks!
    No, just personal opinion.
    Salem's Lot is a stone cold classic, bar the ridiculous looking vamp. As is Pet Cemetery.
    Classic it may be, but good film it is not.
    What did make you flinch as a kid?
    Texas chainsaw massacre would be at the top. The suspense and realism is what made it great. I guess supernatural horrors do nothing for me.

Texas chainsaw massacre would be at the top. The suspense and realism is what made it great. I guess supernatural horrors do nothing for me.

Well, at least you named the ultimate in horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I've only seen bits of Pet Semetary, looks good though, would like to watch it all. Although I've already seen the last few minutes of it, so that won't come as a surprise! Halfway through the book at the moment.

I thought Misery was brilliant as a film, and The Green Mile. The Shining and IT were always known as the scariest movies ever when I was a kid, so I've always loved them, basically because your street cred was instantly lifted if you could brag you'd watched them all the way through and not gotten nightmares afterwards! :D Was unimpressed by Cujo and Carrie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

Bacchus wrote: »
    It's one photo. Haven't we all learned by now not to dismiss a performance/character/movie based on one photo. How do you know Pennywise won't look like a regular, happy clown for much of the movie? The poster is just establishing this as an "evil clown movie", probably aimed at the casual viewer not familiar with IT... in which case a happy looking Pennywise would be a weird hook (as much as fans of the book/original movie would enjoy that).

I know. Just discussing. Just found it non too subtle. A scarier clown would have been maybe the regular, happy clown but with just a drop of blood at the corner of his mouth or something.

And George saw the clown’s face change.
    What he saw then was terrible enough to make his worst imaginings of the thing in the cellar look like sweet dreams; what he saw destroyed his sanity in one clawing stroke.

• A lot of the films and TV adaptations have failed to deliver on the quality of the characters King had written , which is what he does best.

Biggest failure for me was Jim Remmy in the Under the Dome series, I mean in the book he was a vile loathsome man who you couldn't possibly hate more but on TV we got an almost panto version even with an actor like Dean Norris playing the part. On paper that should have worked !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Santan

by far my favorite book, scared the hell out of me when i was 12, and again when i was 28, gives me crazy nightmares, absolutely loved it, but the made for tv movie was not great, hard to get kings characters to come through on screen, also the book is what 1200 pages long, huge amount of character development and context, no matter what they do its very difficult to get that within 1 1/2 in a movie. I just hope they do some justice to the book and not make a mess of it so it can be added to the list above, stand by me, green mile, misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,180 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Full look at Pennywise.

pennywise-ew-00054120.jpg
    Screen%20Shot%202016-08-16%20at%205.29.14%20AM.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Such a shame Will Poulter isn't playing Pennywise.

Advertisement